Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (681282 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by olayomi(f): 10:29pm On May 17, 2016
Anthoniuf:

please do you know where I can send Western Union payment out of Nigeria or where I can buy PayPal from or ask for a payment using PayPal in Nigeria, it is very important for me please.
Am sorry, I have no idea.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sofadj(m): 10:30pm On May 17, 2016
Visa approved today at 6:30am.

Transcript to come soon

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 17, 2016
Bussy123:
Hi Guys and ladies.

Do I have to go to embassy with my WEAC Certificate. I am a Phd Student. Do i have to go with waec certificate or just my undergrad and post grad cert? There is a mistake on age my Waec certificate. What kind I can do? I dont wan to go there with any fake document or with document that has errors. Can i Swear an affidavits?

I think VOs don't ask of waec certificate for graduate students ( tho they used to). But getting the affidavit isn't a bad idea, you might need it later.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by lionlee216(m): 10:42pm On May 17, 2016
sofadj:
Transcript to come soon
congrats bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by amanze15(m): 10:44pm On May 17, 2016
Dear International Student,

On March 11th the Department of Homeland Security published new regulations for F-1 STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) OPT (Optional Practical Training) work permission. The new regulations became effective on May 10, 2016. In summary, key aspects of the new regulations consist of the following:
STEM extension is increased to 24 months from 17 months previously. That means that total OPT time is 36 months (12 for the original post completion OPT benefit and 24 months for the STEM extension).
There is a second STEM extension after a student completes a subsequent higher STEM degree. The new 24-month extension permits students to have two STEM extensions in their lifetimes based on two separate STEM eligible degrees. For example, if a student has received a STEM extension for a BS degree, and then complete a higher degree in a STEM field, the student will qualify for a second STEM extension in the higher degree field
STEM extensions may be based on a previous degree. In short, if a student has never applied for the STEM extension for a lower STEM- based degree, the student can qualify for a STEM extension as long as he is eligible for post-completion OPT for the new non-STEM based degree. Please review the number 4 criteria below to determine if you qualify for a STEM extension based on a previous degree.
The limit on unemployment has been expanded from 30 days to 60 days for the 24-month STEM OPT extension period.
Consulting, self-employment and volunteering do not qualify as eligible employment for STEM. NAFSA-81 FR 13079 – “There are several aspects of the STEM OPT extension that do not make it apt for certain types of arrangements, including multiple employer arrangements, sole proprietorships, employment through “temp” agencies, employment through consulting firm arrangements that provide labor for hire, and other relationships that do not constitute a bona fide employer-employee relationship.”
I-765 filing deadline is increased to from 30 to 60 days after the Designated School Official’s (International Student Advisor’s) recommendation on the OPT I-20.
A new Form I-983 Training Plan is required to be completed by the OPT STEM extension employer in order to qualify both the student and the employer for STEM OPT eligibility.

Below are three categories which you may use to identify your eligibility for the STEM OPT Extension;

You are currently approved for a 17-month STEM OPT extension:
If you are currently in a 17-month STEM extension, you may be eligible for an additional 7 months of STEM OPT beyond the current expiration date. However, there are additional requirements you must comply with and only a limited time in which you can apply. Below are the list of requirements for applying for the additional 7 months:
i. You must apply using the new procedures and new documentation including the Form I-983 Training Plan.
ii. You must submit as your application for STEM OPT extension a new I-20, I-765 form, the $380.00 I-765 application fee , two passport photographs, photocopies of passport I.D. page, visa passport page, I-94, front and back of current STEM OPT card and a copy of your STEM diploma.
iii. You may not apply until May 10, 2016.
iv. Your STEM OPT extension application packet must be received by USCIS no later than August 8th, 2016.

You currently have a pending or requested STEM OPT extension:
If you currently have a STEM Extension application pending with USCIS, you may receive a request for evidence (RFE) from USCIS. The RFE will ask the applicant to comply with the new STEM OPT regulations and processes. You will need to provide the following documentation to your International Student Advisor in the Office of International and Cultural Affairs to comply with the RFE requirements:
i. You must submit to your International Student Advisor a completed Form I-983 Training Plan for all STEM OPT extensions. The Form I-983 must be completed by your STEM OPT employer.
ii. You must receive from your International Student Advisor a new I-20 recommending the 24-month extension period.

You are currently eligible to apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension:
i. The new rules governing STEM OPT extension take effect on May 10, 2016. If you apply on or after May 10, 2016, you will be eligible for the STEM OPT 24-month benefit.
ii. You must apply for the STEM OPT extension prior to the expiration of your current OPT.
iii. As stated above, If you apply before May 10th, you will be sent a RFE (Request for Evidence) by USCIS for an updated I-20, and your employer will have to complete the Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT students.
iv. If you apply after May 10th, your employer will have to complete the Form I-983 before you can submit your application to USCIS.

Do you qualify for a STEM extension based on a prior STEM degree:
You received both degrees from currently accredited and SEVP-certified institutions.
Your previous degree cannot have been conferred more than 10 years ago at the time of you OPT extension application.
Your previous degree is assigned a STEM eligibility code found on the STEM Designated Degree Program List. To view the list please visit https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf.
You have not already received STEM OPT extension based on this previous degree.
Your practical training opportunity is directly related to the previous obtained STEM degree.
Your employer meets the criteria for STEM extensions.

*Please note that students who receive an RFE from USCIS will not be required to submit any additional filing fees.

If you are eligible and interested in applying for the additional 7 months, or will be applying for the 24-month STEM OPT extension, it is important that you and your employer begin working on the Form I-983 Training Plan now, as it will require additional time to prepare the form for submission with the rest of the STEM OPT extension application. Attached is the Form I-983 Training Plan and instructions for your review. Once you have completed your STEM OPT application packet, and your employer has completed the Form I-983, you may submit the packet to your International Student Advisor. Your International Student Advisor will review all forms for completion and accuracy, and will begin preparing your recommended updated I-20 for the additional time you request or for the 24-month period.

For more information about the new STEM OPT extension regulations, and a step-by-step guide to completing the Form I-983 Training Plan, you may visit the STEM OPT hub at http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub.

For more information about the new Form I-983 Training Plan for STEM OPT Students, you may visit http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/form-i-983-overview.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sofadj(m): 10:47pm On May 17, 2016
olenime:
who went for interview today?

I did
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 10:49pm On May 17, 2016
sofadj:

Transcript to come soon

Congratulations bro.....

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by cutemorgan(m): 10:54pm On May 17, 2016
sofadj:

Transcript to come soon
Congratulations bro... Better days ahead smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 17, 2016
sofadj:
Transcript to come soon
congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 10:56pm On May 17, 2016
olayomi:

Within a week, it should be sorted. All Form A requests are being compiled and sent to CBN weekly from every bank (every tuesday). I paid 5,000 for the form, and 11,000 for proceedings (diamond bank). And I am being charged at 199 naira - 1 dollar.

If you are ready, I ll advise you to be fast since I just made this transaction today and the rate hasnt changed yet.

Going through Form A is the only route I know of making large payments outside the country. Other people can enlighten us here though.
Thanks a lot. This has really enlightened me. Should sort that out soonest. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 11:00pm On May 17, 2016
sofadj:

Transcript to come soon

Congrats bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 11:41pm On May 17, 2016
Anthoniuf:

please do you know where I can send Western Union payment out of Nigeria or where I can buy PayPal from or ask for a payment using PayPal in Nigeria, it is very important for me please.

You don't buy PayPal since it's free to register for it.

Go to first bank around you or any bank to send western union

If I may ask which payment do you want to make?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DanjaNinja(m): 11:45pm On May 17, 2016
Una well done o! Hope everyone's doing good? Been a while i came in here. Chai, America sweet no be small grin grin grin .

Quick question, is there anyone currently studying Computer Science @ the University of California, Berkeley on this forum?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sofadj(m): 11:46pm On May 17, 2016
Prior Visit to Ghana, Togo, Benin Republic
Dress: Bespoke native wear
Prep: Didnt memorize any response, just read my SOP about 3 times the night before.

Was interviewed at Window 2 by a female with indifferent countenance

V.O: What are you study plans in the US
sofadj: I intend to go to University of Maryland College park to pursue a Masters' degree program in public health. The program is to run for 18 months ...( I mumbled the ending part, she kept nodding while typing). After which I hope to have acquired sufficient skills to help play my part in reducung the burden of diseases on Nigerians

V.O: What do you do currently?
sofadj: I am a medical doctor

V.O.: So how would this program benefit your career?
sofadj: MPH with a concentration in Environmental Health Sciences will equip me with necessary skills and technical knowledge to identify and analyse realtionships between people, disease and their environment in a bid to proffering solutions to these diseases in Nigeria, with diseases such as HIV, Malaria, TUberculosis killing millions of Nigerians yearly,It will give me a strong leverage to work with the FMOH in order to help institute policies and carry out projects that will help reduce the burden of diseases in Nigeria.

V.O.: Who will be sponsoring this
sofadj : My brother. He is a XXXXXX
V.O. : Cuts in sharply. Your visa has been approved,...blah blah blah

V.O. didnt ask me for any document
V.O. seemed to have made up her mind after asking the 2nd question, she probably just asked the 3rd to keep me talking. She was nodding while i was talking but i could swear she wasnt listening.
I wasn't as coherent and fluent as it seems here, i paused, hanged, at some time while answering but I still went on. I was not over trying to make an impression.

MAIN ADVICE: Relax and talk from the heart. KNow your points but dont cram a speech.

SPECIAL THANKS TO AADEYI AND EVERYONE ON THIS PLATFORM

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sofadj(m): 11:47pm On May 17, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by baodium: 12:09am On May 18, 2016
sofadj:
Prior Visit to Ghana, Togo, Benin Republic
Dress: Bespoke native wear
Prep: Didnt memorize any response, just read my SOP about 3 times the night before.

Was interviewed at Window 2 by a female with indifferent countenance

V.O: What are you study plans in the US
sofadj: I intend to go to University of Maryland College park to pursue a Masters' degree program in public health. The program is to run for 18 months ...( I mumbled the ending part, she kept nodding while typing). After which I hope to have acquired sufficient skills to help play my part in reducung the burden of diseases on Nigerians

V.O: What do you do currently?
sofadj: I am a medical doctor

V.O.: So how would this program benefit your career?
sofadj: MPH with a concentration in Environmental Health Sciences will equip me with necessary skills and technical knowledge to identify and analyse realtionships between people, disease and their environment in a bid to proffering solutions to these diseases in Nigeria, with diseases such as HIV, Malaria, TUberculosis killing millions of Nigerians yearly,It will give me a strong leverage to work with the FMOH in order to help institute policies and carry out projects that will help reduce the burden of diseases in Nigeria.

V.O.: Who will be sponsoring this
sofadj : My brother. He is a XXXXXX
V.O. : Cuts in sharply. Your visa has been approved,...blah blah blah

V.O. didnt ask me for any document
V.O. seemed to have made up her mind after asking the 2nd question, she probably just asked the 3rd to keep me talking. She was nodding while i was talking but i could swear she wasnt listening.
I wasn't as coherent and fluent as it seems here, i paused, hanged, at some time while answering but I still went on. I was not over trying to make an impression.

MAIN ADVICE: Relax and talk from the heart. KNow your points but dont cram a speech.

SPECIAL THANKS TO AADEYI AND EVERYONE ON THIS PLATFORM
Congratulations
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 12:15am On May 18, 2016
Urine tongue I sight you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 1:25am On May 18, 2016
When is Angela leaving naija?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by happney65: 1:57am On May 18, 2016
aadeyi:

Why are u asking?You want to go block her at MMA abi?Awon Baddoooo.... grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 2:26am On May 18, 2016
happney65:

Why are u asking?You want to go block her at MMA abi?Awon Baddoooo.... grin grin

Lol.... abeg no pour sand for my garri... make the babe answer abeg.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by monsieur2016(m): 4:12am On May 18, 2016
sofadj:

Transcript to come soon

Congrats.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DanjaNinja(m): 5:02am On May 18, 2016
Hi MsNas, thank you for making this insightful post - https://www.nairaland.com/2557843/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/303#44232315

Please dont mind my ignorance but I must admit this section caught my attention:

I never knew one could have a full time job(not internship), be a full time F-1 student, hold a full time graduate assistantship and not even be in the same state your school is located. I am doing that right now and I wouldn't be able to do that if I had not sought advice from people who knew better than me and could offer concrete advises on the way to go.

Can you please provide more information on how to -
1. Do an internship as a full time F-1 student - is this CPT?
2. Hold a full time GA and not even be in the same state your school is - how is this possible? Does it involve taking online classes instead of on campus classes?

Sincerely awating your response.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 5:35am On May 18, 2016
congrats to all thise who are going to puck up their visas today.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 6:06am On May 18, 2016
happney65:

me sef dey suspect d guy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by tolutweety(m): 6:16am On May 18, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Sincerely waiting for your response to the last mail.
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Angelapinkytoes(f): 6:18am On May 18, 2016
aadeyi:
why do you ask sir?Do you wish to pay for my flight ticket?i'd prefer British airways

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by warriboy21(m): 6:46am On May 18, 2016
Gtb is charging 314 o.. Pls b careful o smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by youngmoney416: 6:46am On May 18, 2016
Angelapinkytoes:
why do you ask sir?Do you wish to pay for my flight ticket?i'd prefer British airways
I sent you a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 6:50am On May 18, 2016
warriboy21:
Gtb is charging 314 o.. Pls b careful o smiley
nawa o.
Within the space of 24hrs
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Bussy123: 6:57am On May 18, 2016
Walspring:

You can go with the original certificate or statement that your school gave to you..

Hey guys, please more people to give me advice on this..
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Bussy123: 7:06am On May 18, 2016
Bussy123:
Can I take statement of result to embassy or it has to be original certificate? I only have my original statement of result for my undergraduate and don't have my certificate yet. I have my original master degree certificate from UI but don't have the certificate for undergraduate.

Also Do i have to go with WAEC certificate? There is a mistake on the age on my certificate.

Hey Guys, please i need more input here.. What are you guys advising?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.