Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,671 members, 7,813,238 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (679268 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by biikeys(m): 9:03pm On May 27, 2016
nairaspace:

My brother - We thank God jare. Over happiness was killing me at that moment. Had to make everyone laugh. Lol. Persistent, Prayer, Faith were the keys to my success.

How is life with you.

Regards!

Going good bro. Hope you're doing great too!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 9:04pm On May 27, 2016
OK guys for those trying to purchase tickets, I figured that wakanow is slightly overpriced. if you prefer price > comfort or you are seeking cheap flights, check flights.idealo. prices are shown in naira (you can change it from $). and you pay what you see (no hidden charges) and Idk why Qatar & Etihad and co all left their prices in USD

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by don4ye: 9:11pm On May 27, 2016
Mekurexx:
OK guys for those trying to purchase tickets, I figured that wakanow is slightly overpriced. if you prefer price > comfort or you are seeking cheap flights, check flights.idealo. prices are shown in naira (you can change it from $). and you pay what you see (no hidden charges) and Idk why Qatar & Etihad and co all left their prices in USD

The price is in $$ .. And the one for dot co. U.K. Is in £
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 9:14pm On May 27, 2016
Holudarey01:

lool.
Na Emirates sure pass

For payment online dem no sure because nah bank go charge you at parallel market rate and not the airline..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 9:19pm On May 27, 2016
gunther6:

I can confirm that is not true....

Really

Ask Kennyroy to tell the bitter experience the day he paid online with his card and how was debited.. Emirate told him that they are not the one who debited him above #200 per $1. His post should be in part 7 or early pages of part 8..

Maybe things have change I can't say but I read someone's experience or post based on that and that's why I stated it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by landuseact: 9:21pm On May 27, 2016
Mekurexx:
I'll be going to Minnesota. Leaving by first week of Aug.
when will you be going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 9:30pm On May 27, 2016
Google, flights.idealo nigeria. select the first option (.com) when you search, it will come out in $$, but there is a column close to total price options, change it to Naira from the list
don4ye:

The price is in $$ .. And the one for dot co. U.K. Is in £
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 9:32pm On May 27, 2016
I will book next week and most likely fly the weekend of first week of august. might base in moorehead before sch resumes
landuseact:

when will you be going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 27, 2016
Congrats to Sirriddy, (Sent a message to you on whatsapp but e no deliver), gunther6 and others that have gotten their visa. Please i really need an advice. Out of the five admits i got (Uni of Maryland, Uni of Utah, LSU,West Virginia Uni and University of North Carolina, Charlotte (UNCC), Only UNCC offered me partial TA yesterday (10 hrs per week, $7000/year including partial Tuition Waiver) all others said no funding. After troubling and sending countless mails to profs and grad cords in other schools with no head way i deferred both LSU and Uni of Maryland to Spring 2017, Uni of Utah said i cant deferred but that they will keep my documents and re-review along with other spring applicants in spring 2017 for both admission and funding.

My Questions now are 1) With just personal funds of about 1.2m should i plan to attend UNCC bearing in mind that the tuition per semester is $10,751?
2) whats the cost of living in North Carolina, Charlotte area like?
3) Can i work for additional 10hrs on campus? (I believe i should be able but i dont want to assume)
4) please who knows anyone that knows someone that knows someone in UNCC? NOTE: If i get funding from my defered admits i plan to transfer in Spring to any of them since they are ranked above UNCC

cc imperiouxx bigfrancis21 ojap
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 9:54pm On May 27, 2016
try using flights.idealo personally i think wakanow is too basic
kayzoner70:

Omo mehn, na serious search task i dn dey since morning, wonder why air fees has to be so over-priced. Anyway anyhw, u sha go fall in obamaland come august.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 10:20pm On May 27, 2016
Mekurexx:
Yeah i have actually checked that out too, thanks. Cheapflights.com.ng is not bad too sha. I just hope those prices will still come down abit, i guess it cos its summer time. Want to chill till June/July or what do you advise.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 10:28pm On May 27, 2016
Mekurexx:
Wakanow dont even provide flights that fly to st. louis intl. airport cos thats the closest to my school. Yeah i have actually checked that out too, thanks. Cheapflights.com.ng is not bad too sha. I just hope those prices will still come down abit, i guess it cos its summer time. Want to chill till June/July or what do you advise.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by iamleye(m): 10:29pm On May 27, 2016
Try travelstart.com, I bet u get the cheapest from there.
Mekurexx:

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by djmakson(m): 10:31pm On May 27, 2016
femi321:
Congrats to Sirriddy, (Sent a message to you on whatsapp but e no deliver), gunther6 and others that have gotten their visa. Please i really need an advice. Out of the five admits i got (Uni of Maryland, Uni of Utah, LSU,West Virginia Uni and University of North Carolina, Charlotte (UNCC), Only UNCC offered me partial TA yesterday (10 hrs per week, $7000/year including partial Tuition Waiver) all others said no funding. After troubling and sending countless mails to profs and grad cords in other schools with no head way i deferred both LSU and Uni of Maryland to Spring 2017, Uni of Utah said i cant deferred but that they will keep my documents and re-review along with other spring applicants in spring 2017 for both admission and funding.

My Questions now are 1) With just personal funds of about 1.2m should i plan to attend UNCC bearing in mind that the tuition per semester is $10,751?
3) Can i work for additional 10hrs on campus? (I believe i should be able but i dont want to assume)
4) please who knows anyone that knows someone that knows someone in UNCC? NOTE: If i get funding from my defered admits i plan to transfer in Spring to any of them since they are ranked above UNCC

I'll start by saying 'A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush'. Having a partial GA is better than nothing. I believe after spending a semester, being in the system would help you and increases your chances of getting a full GA after a semester. Yes you can work additional 10 hours but that surely won't cover the rest of your tuition. It can only help your feeding.

On the average living expenses, Google would help you out. I have seen before different comparison of relative living expenses during my search too. Try search Google with your key words.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 10:32pm On May 27, 2016
kayzoner70:

Yeah i have actually checked that out too, thanks. Cheapflights.com.ng is not bad too sha. I just hope those prices will still come down abit, i guess it cos its summer time. Want to chill till June/July or what do you advise.

You are chilling in naija, na u get the currency abi... As at the March 31st Airline operators had $550 million they could not repatriate because of Forex problems, Delta stopped taking bookings in Naira, Qatar, Lufthansa, KLM and stylishly Virgin and Etihad too, Iberia and United just pulled out of Nigeria. Bros wait small you hear maybe you get summer for Naija. By the time the semi devaluation of Naira CBN just carried out through AFEX is priced in you go hear am but don't listen to me I'm just an amateur economist trained at Ife
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 27, 2016
E seun smiley. How is your internship going?
landuseact:
sirriddy, congrats o and welcome to obamaland, meanwhile is anyone here going to be around austin, minnesota anytime from June to august? let me know so we can hangout on some weekends.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by djmakson(m): 10:34pm On May 27, 2016
kayzoner70:

The best bet is booking far ahead of time. It becomes expensive as the departure date draws near. With this exchange rate ish too, it's not gonna be promising. It's better you make up your mind quickly.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 27, 2016
Thanks for your messages, my whatsapp is inactive.
Congratulations on your getting half GA, I have a friend on half GA presently
but he has been surviving, though tough for him.
He has had to pay the remaining tuition from his stipends and this still does not cover the whole thing.
To know the on-campus job situation, I would advise that you look for current students on linkedin
and facebook. I am sure you can get as much information as possible there.
Wish you the best with visa interview.

femi321:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by iamleye(m): 10:44pm On May 27, 2016
Lol... Anyway am coming back dude, u are a great guy, thanks for the information and ur concern. How well can I get in touch with u? I need to speak with u
gunther6:

Bros I remember you on this thread... Conflict resolution, NGO and so on when we were saying bros you will not come back you seem offended now you don taste amelika you don't want to come back to your work again... Just get your docs and report at any community college but even at that they are no longer admitting for summer... Look for a SEVIS certified language school transfer your SEVIS record there, you can at least use that to maintain your F1 status and buy some time till you decide what you want to do next.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 10:44pm On May 27, 2016
gunther6:

You are chilling in naija, na u get the currency abi... As at the March 31st Airline operators had $550 million they could not repatriate because of Forex problems, Delta stopped taking bookings in Naira, Qatar, Lufthansa, KLM and stylishly Virgin and Etihad too, Iberia and United just pulled out of Nigeria. Bros wait small you hear maybe you get summer for Naija. By the time the semi devaluation of Naira CBN just carried out through AFEX is priced in you go hear am but don't listen to me I'm just an amateur economist trained at Ife
Loolz... e go better
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by kayzoner70(m): 10:46pm On May 27, 2016
djmakson:

The best bet is booking far ahead of time. It becomes expensive as the departure date draws near. With this exchange rate ish too, it's not gonna be promising. It's better you make up your mind quickly.
Okay brother, thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by landuseact: 10:49pm On May 27, 2016
sirRiddy:
E seun smiley. How is your internship going?

I'm just going to start, leaving for minnesota on sunday. That's why I'm asking for someone that would be there around that time because the company is filled with mostly whites.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 27, 2016
Okay. Wish you safe journey and a great platform.
landuseact:

I'm just going to start, leaving for minnesota on sunday. That's why I'm asking for someone that would be there around that time because the company is filled with mostly whites.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 10:57pm On May 27, 2016
Let me use this opportunity to address the flight issue to best of my ability.

When booking your flights it is better to book at night and at least 90 days before your date of departure, a dynamic pricing model aimed to maximize profit is mostly adopted by airlines. With little exceptions it goes like this any flight you book 6 months + before your departure will be expensive, between 6months -60 days you get a good deal, <30days you start paying a premium roughly equal to or greater than what 6 months plus pays, there is also a seasonal variation , holidays , peak travel priced in (some nonsense I learnt in Transport economics at OAU )

I repeat do not use third parties/agents/websites to book your tickets they bring zero value to the process and profit heavily without doing nothing. Use third party sites to check for flights afterwards go to the official site of the airline to book your ticket. A particular member of this house overpaid by 40k+ for a ticket I also purchased heading in the same direction.

Also in my own opinion, Naira is currently pulling a cedi/bolivar stunt on our behinds, if you see a ticket that appears cheap, oga book the fluctuations of the currency means you have zero guarantee it will be cheaper tomorrow and I have news for you nearly all Qatar airlines for July/August have just 4 seats or less left, it is all on their site, don't feel like an early bird.

Lastly be wary of prices quoted in Dollars, even if the site of your bank shows a naira equivalent, Nigerian banks through unbridled corruption and unchecked rent seeking are currently on a hot red fraudulent streak don't trust them, go into the bank pay over the counter.

That been said the cheapest airline currently as long as you are not going to Houston is Emirates (186 - 220 economy) Qatar ($915 - 1250) a member of the house just informed me Standard bank is accepting exact naira equivalent, Ethiopia is cheap too as long as you are going to JFK or Newark and finally Arik (I would rather trek). If I remember anything I will add

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 11:00pm On May 27, 2016
iamleye:
Lol... Anyway am coming back dude, u are a great guy, thanks for the information and ur concern. How well can I get in touch with u? I need to speak with u

Send me a PM I go drop my WhatsApp number there... I don't want Justwise or spambot's wahala wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 27, 2016
Lol. Nice piece. I have heard positive reviews about Emirates and Qatar.
gunther6:
Let me use this opportunity to address the flight issue to best of my ability.

When booking your flights it is better to book at night and at least 90 days before your date of departure, a dynamic pricing model aimed to maximize profit is mostly adopted by airlines. With little exceptions it goes like this any flight you book 6 months + before your departure will be expensive, between 6months -60 days you get a good deal, <30days you start paying a premium roughly equal to or greater than what 6 months plus pays, there is also a seasonal variation , holidays , peak travel priced in (some nonsense I learnt in Transport economics at OAU )

I repeat do not use third parties/agents/websites to book your tickets they bring zero value to the process and profit heavily without doing nothing. Use third party sites to check for flights afterwards go to the official site of the airline to book your ticket. A particular member of this house overpaid by 40k+ for a ticket I also purchased heading in the same direction.

Also in my own opinion, Naira is currently pulling a cedi/bolivar stunt on our behinds, if you see a ticket that appears cheap, oga book the fluctuations of the currency means you have zero guarantee it will be cheaper tomorrow and I have news for you nearly all Qatar airlines for July/August have just 4 seats or less left, it is all on their site, don't feel like an early bird.

Lastly be wary of prices quoted in Dollars, even if the site of your bank shows a naira equivalent, Nigerian banks through unbridled corruption and unchecked rent seeking are currently on a hot red fraudulent streak don't trust them, go into the bank pay over the counter.

That been said the cheapest airline currently as long as you are not going to Houston is Emirates (186 - 220 economy) Qatar ($915 - 1250) a member of the house just informed me Standard bank is accepting exact naira equivalent, Ethiopia is cheap too as long as you are going to JFK or Newark and finally Arik (I would rather trek). If I remember anything I will add

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 27, 2016
iamleye:
Try travelstart.com, I bet u get the cheapest from there.

Cheapflights.com is the best for me, no stress. Use it for all your flight searches, local and international, thank me later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 11:24pm On May 27, 2016
I wont advise you to book July. Thwre wont be any seats available sef. Now is the time I guess. And for 3rd party sites, there alot not all offer value for money.
kayzoner70:

Wakanow dont even provide flights that fly to st. louis intl. airport cos thats the closest to my school. Yeah i have actually checked that out too, thanks. Cheapflights.com.ng is not bad too sha. I just hope those prices will still come down abit, i guess it cos its summer time. Want to chill till June/July or what do you advise.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 11:30pm On May 27, 2016
For Form A, check diamond bank. A big branch or their Head office. About your write up, can you confirm one can pay using CBN rate at bank counter,? Cuz qatar etihad etc all showing USD. How did you pay yours? Secondly Cheapest Emirates to where im going is N700k Can i do lets say one way to JFK or closer airport, then book a local US flight to where im going? (I will have the ticket in hand) Or do a bus-strip(stressful i know) cuz most airlines stops is Chicago, JFK, or newark. Plus what you said about 4 seats remaining is true. Its as if the whole world is traveling this Aug sad Gurus advise oh @ gunther6
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 11:32pm On May 27, 2016
gunther6:

wink

A word is enough for the wise. Book directly from the airline website. To the best of my knowl edge having travelled with different carriers, Emirate has the best economical price coupled with good services and Nigerian friendly meals.

It's possible you get other cheap flights but, whatever emirate offers you coupled with their service is worth it.

Reserve your flights between 2am and 6am and try to select a mid week flight ie between tuesday and thursday. Try to pay at the bank to get the best exchange rate possible.

Just my 2cents

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 11:34pm On May 27, 2016
Mekurexx:
For Form A, check diamond bank. A big branch or their Head office. About your write up, can you confirm one can pay using CBN rate at bank counter,? Cuz qatar etihad etc all showing USD. How did you pay yours? Secondly Cheapest Emirates to where im going is N700k Can i do lets say one way to JFK or closer airport, then book a local US flight to where im going? (I will have the ticket in hand) Or do a bus-strip(stressful i know) cuz most airlines stops is Chicago, JFK, or newark. Plus what you said about 4 seats remaining is true. Its as if the whole world is traveling this Aug sad Gurus advise oh @ gunther6

Which airport are you flying to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 11:35pm On May 27, 2016
MN, St.Paul
aadeyi:

Which airport are you flying to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.