Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness (14799 Views)

Why We Pay ‘subsidy’ Without National Assembly’s Permission – NNPC / Why Minimum Wage Cant Be A "Palliative" For Fuel Price Hike / RIP Subsidy: Youths Bearing Coffin Celebrate The "Death Of Subsidy" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Okobaba1(m): 10:18am On May 14, 2016
Most times i wonder d kind of leaders we hv in govt. Government is for d ppl, and before decisions such as dz are carried out u must sensitize ppl n also put ur ppls welfare first.

Going ahead wt dz removal of subsidy is simply wickedness.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Anseth(m): 10:20am On May 14, 2016
1) I remain unpersuaded by the arguments I have read in favour of oil subsidy removal. I am not talking about the mostly hot air, ill-informed, half-informed, and politically-jaundiced propositions being pushed on all sides on social media. I am talking about conversations I've been following or contributing to in other spaces. Until I read superior arguments and logic from those arguing in favour of this move by President Buhari, I remain persuaded that subsidy removal is wrong and I condemn it without equivocation. President Jonathan was wrong to have removed it; President Buhari is wrong to have removed it.

2) I am not unmindful of the basic problems with the subsidy regime. We don't need to go into details here. The problems have been retailed ad nauseam in our public sphere for years and are being retailed now by supporters of President Buhari to justify the removal. Let us just say that all those problems lead in one direction: corruption. If oil is Nigeria's most corrupt sector, the subsidy regime has been by far the most "fantastically corrupt" wing of that spectacularly corrupt sector of the Nigerian economy. The subsidy regime is the home turf of Nigeria's shadiest and most powerful characters - the breeding ground of petro billionaires and multi-billionaires. These are the criminal patrons of the Nigerian state who are paid billions to import air or water or sand or nothing and declare it as imported fuel. Some of them even import non-existent fuel in non-existent fuel tankers and are paid handsomely by the Federal government in the subsidy regime.

3) There is also the other argument about market forces and market dynamics. Supporters of the removal are saying that we cannot continue to pretend that we can somehow defy the market, etc. I know this argument too. In fact, it is sexy and seductive on the surface.

4) Everybody arguing in favour of oil subsidy removal is combining numbers 2 & 3 above and their variants in their submissions.

5) Here is my problem with number 2. No administration in Nigeria has ever really had the courage, the moral resolve, and the ethical willpower to go after the saboteurs and beneficiaries of the oil subsidy regime; those who decade after decade have prevented the dividends of oil subsidy from reflecting on the quality of life and purchasing power of the masses. None has ever been arrested or prosecuted. It means we have never operated the oil industry with minimal corruption and therefore have no national experience in what possible benefits are accruable from a corruption-free oil sector.

6) When you remove oil subsidy, my understanding of it is that the Nigerian state is capitulating to corruption. She is saying that because she lacks the courage to go after the usual suspects and charge them with treason and cleanse the Augean stable in a comprehensive manner, she will just kuku give up and pack up the subsidy regime entirely. Until we try a corruption-free petroleum sector with subsidy, it would be illogical to conclude that subsidy does not work. It does not work and has never worked because there are too many entanglements of corruption. The untouchable fat cats making subsidy impossible are PDP and APC, Christians and Moslems, they are from virtually every ethnicity. And President Buhari is basically saying that he lacks the resolve to fight them.

7) The same thing applies to Number 3. I remain unpersuaded by market fundamentalism. Let market forces determine things bla bla bla. The Western owners of this doctrine hardly ever subscribe to it. Whenever something is determined to be the life wire of the middle classes and the masses in their society, they subsidize it heavily while describing others trying to do the same thing for their own people as "rude" and "fantastically corrupt". No Western country is a genuine market fundamentalist. Market fundamentalism is what they prescribe for you if you are Chinese, Arab or African.

cool Read up on farm subsidies in the United States, Canada, and Western Europe. There are critical sectors that these imperialists protect at all costs for their people with subsidies while advising you to remove subsidies and be at the mercy of market forces in the Third World. For much of the decade of the 2000s, African governments complained bitterly about how US and European farm subsidies were ruining the lives of African farmers. They protect their own farmers with subsidies and advise you to leave your own farm products to market forces! What farm subsidies are to the developed world, oil subsidy was to the Nigerian people: the only remaining safety net for the people in a state run exclusively by the corrupt rich for the corrupt rich. Subsidy was the only thing the people could still theoretically benefit from (if you take out the corruption). Instead of fighting members of his own corrupt ruling class who were making it impossible for oil subsidy to work for the people, President Buhari has elected the laziest escape route. From experience, the lazy escapes of the Nigerian state from her responsibility always ensure that the people bear the brunt. This is not acceptable to me.

9) President Buhari, go and fight the subsidy buccaneers properly. If your government fights them in a way that commands the respect of the people and market forces still overwhelm you, even with reduced corruption in the sector and the installation of better refineries, then you may come back and make a case for subsidy removal. The purported benefits of this removal are at best fanciful. The economy is still largely in the hands of saboteurs and traitors. Even your 2016 budget will be implemented and monitored by the same people who padded it. You said you would punish them only to end up shuffling them in the system.

10) Whatever your government is also preaching that the people will gain from subsidy removal in the long run is not supported by our history and experience. Just look at Fashola. What kind of noise did he not make about the "dividends and benefits" of higher electricity tariffs? What the people have gotten instead is higher tariffs multiplied by longer spells of darkness.

11) These are the issues. Luckily for you, President Buhari, you will get away with this subsidy removal because there is no opposition in Nigeria. When President Jonathan tried it, there was opposition against him. His opposition organized and mobilized and he was forced to reverse his decision.

12) Those who say they are your own opposition today are pea-brained caterwauling efulefus trolling the Walls of your supporters instead of mounting principled opposition to you the way those whose Walls they are now trolling mounted opposition to their hero. Fools that they are, they are heehawing over who is an APC or PDP supporter. They have been on the hunt for hypocrites in the past 48 hours, branding those who opposed fuel subsidy removal under Jonathan and are now supporting it under you. They can never organize like those who were in principled opposition to Jonathan their hero. In fact, the closest they have come to organizing in the Buhari era is to organize #IStandWithBuhari after fighting each other on Facebook over who got what from Jonathan's campaign funds.

13) But for the fact that I gave up on them a long time ago in terms of one's hope that they could evolve into a principled, issues-driven opposition that could grow our democracy by not letting you get away with decisions such as this subsidy removal, I would have advised them to look into the mirror in terms of their search for hypocrites. How can anybody have argued that subsidy removal was the only way to go under Jonathan but not under Buhari and then turn around to look for hypocrites?

14) Sadly, President Buhari, there is more to the tragedy that is your opposition: they hardly ever come after you. They are always after anybody they label your supporter. The absence of an opposition explains why you have gotten away with issue after issue, especially on the terrain of pre-election promises denied, modified, not kept, or ignored. They cannot take any of these issues and develop it into a coherent template for patriotic national dissent. Instead, they troll social media looking for hypocrites writ large in their own mirrors.

And you get away with things, President Buhari!
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by menxer: 10:21am On May 14, 2016
Does it mean because there were SURE-P buses running in Lagos, it justifies that palliative was provided?

Was the palliative meant only for Lagos?

Subsidy was a palliative.

To those advocating for palliatives, for how long?

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by BiafranAmerican: 10:23am On May 14, 2016
There is no right or wrong time to do the right thing. I supported removal from pms during jonathan cos he had the right team to manage the economy unfortunately the people in power today ganged up ans bastardize his lofty ambition. Here we are again, as act of God they are the people in power just at the right moment when the effect of theie action is setting in. I am super excited about what is happening now and Nigeria must pay the price for their ignorance of choice.

There is no right time for suffering. The cost of a dollar will hit 500 next month followed by double digits inflation. We keep asking...what happening to the silly stoey about cureency swap ? I pity salary earners. I really pity them. Cos business men will always mark up their profits.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by BushidoBlue(m): 10:26am On May 14, 2016
[size=18pt]These APC morons just won't stop

I mean

Come on!!!!

The president went to his hometown spent four days, didn't mention anything positive rather went on his divisive mode once again.

Only for him to travel abroad and let his deputy preside over one of the most crucial decisions of his administration's existence.

Now some neanderthal oggs are here to scream in banality.

Palliative measures are a no show.

It makes you wonder what is really wrong with Nigeria if the youth can't process information and reason things out.

By the way, a dollar nw goes for #390.

Say Barber!!!!

[/size]
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by BushidoBlue(m): 10:28am On May 14, 2016
menxer:
Does it mean because there were SURE-P buses running in Lagos, it justifies that palliative was provided?

Was the palliative meant only for Lagos?

Subsidy was a palliative.

To those advocating for palliatives, for how long?

One would have thought that you would have asked why the devaluation and subsidy removal at the same time. What a one year gift to Nigerians by this administration.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by nigerianvenom(m): 10:32am On May 14, 2016
Built2last:
Below is my earlier submission on this subsidy removal

It's not as though Nigerians do not know that fuel subsidy is long over due for removal but certain things have to be in place to cushion the effect.

First the president has to come clean and lead by example.
He has to do the following

Get the 4 refineries optimally running

Sell off 8 of the 11 presidential jets hanging at Abuja airpot and tell us what the money will be used for.

Increase tax on the rich. Like property tax. Own more than one property and pay heavy tax on the rest.

Get our rail ways up and running to ease transportation

Deploys policies that will check inflation.

Increase the minimum wage to atleast 50k

Call labour for negotiation afterwards and make public every deliberation.

The masses will support you.

This English you typed here op will not make sense to Nigerians next week bearing in mind that commodity prices will skyrocket without a corresponding increase in income of the people.

Taxi from Garki to Wuse in abuja that used to be 400 naira is now 800 naira.

A bag of rice I was told went to 25k from 15k yesterday.

A basket of tomato is 27k in Kano state today. That's where it's produced.

For your information, what the government did was price modulation to knock off subsidy payment by government. They have simply told the masses to pay. The petroleum sector was not deregulated. If you deregulate, you don't determine prices and so the government can not fix 145 naira. When you deregulate, you leave pricing to market competitors. Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Asda in UK, many other giants will move in to compete. They fix their prices and the masses can choose what price is most suitable for them. A good example is the telcom sector that was fully deregulated. Did you ever here the government telling MTN, Econet or Gloss how much to fix sim cards or charges on call? Because in a deregulated sector every manufacturer charges
based on the factors and modes of production.

For every cause there is an effect.

Any leader who puts his people first thinks of the immediate impact of his policies on the people and commodity prices.

I am #Built2last and I just want to correct paradigms

Omg u are technically good.
I can't just stop reading this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by cashreport: 10:40am On May 14, 2016
Built2last:

It's not as though Nigerians do not know that fuel subsidy is long over due for removal but certain things have to be in place to cushion the effect.

Sell off 8 of the 11 presidential jets hanging at Abuja airpot and tell us what the money will be used for.

Increase tax on the rich. Like property tax. Own more than one property and pay heavy tax on the rest.

This English you typed here op will not make sense to Nigerians next week bearing in mind that commodity prices will skyrocket without a corresponding increase in income of the people.

For your information, what the government did was price modulation to knock off subsidy payment by government. They have simply told the masses to pay. The petroleum sector was not deregulated. If you deregulate, you don't determine prices and so the government can not fix 145 naira. When you deregulate, you leave pricing to market competitors. Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Asda in UK, many other giants will move in to compete. They fix their prices and the masses can choose what price is most suitable for them. A good example is the telcom sector that was fully deregulated. Did you ever here the government telling MTN, Econet or Gloss how much to fix sim cards or charges on call? Because in a deregulated sector every manufacturer charges

Any leader who puts his people first thinks of the immediate impact of his policies on the people and commodity prices.

Nairaland is blessed with lots of sound mind

Brother u did well
Seun award him the most intelligent post of the week grin grin

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Jesusloveyou: 10:43am On May 14, 2016
[quote author=engineerboat post=45600922]
Here is a goverment that even still went ahead to provide immediate palliative for fuel subsidy?
NATIONAL BROADCAST BY PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR, ON THE DEREGULATION OF THE DOWNSTREAM PETROLEUM SECTOR SATURDAY, JANUARY 7, 2012 __Dear Compatriots,
none of the promise was fulfil even after 4yrs,- i never saw any bus, no TAM,not to talk of new refinery, no 370,000 jobs. thank God we never trusted gej.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ahaz: 10:44am On May 14, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
On November 30, 2015, I published a piece titled FUEL SCARCITY: IT IS TIME FOR SUBSIDY TO REST IN PEACE www.nairaland.com/2771583/fuel-scarcity-it-time-fuel. In the said article, I made a very strong case for the subsidy to be thrown six feet under the ground and covered with the sand. Finally, the subsidy is removed. But there are issues that needs to be addressed.

I can recall how I left my house in the morning of that January 1, 2012 to visit a friend, only for the cab driver to hike the t-fare by over 100% due to over 100% increase of the pump price(@N142). If there was FG diesel powered mass transit buses available, many would at least be relieved.

REMOVING SUBSIDY WITHOUT PALLIATIVE IS WICKEDNESS
While I express my support for the need to remove subsidy, I must question the moral ground upon which Buhari stood to take the decision. Can we forgive him for his ignorance in saying that the subsidy doesn't exist at all?

However, like the former administration, President Buhari took his decision without provision of palliative to ease the multiple suffering that the masses have been subjected to since mid 2015, and the punishment/hard times we may face as part of the effect of the policy. Is Buhari expecting us to get used to the suffering?

.... WHAT BENEFIT IS IT WITHOUT PALLIATIVE?
What if transporters decide to hike their fares tomorrow? How would commuters move from one place to the other without government providing something to hold rely on? Where are the FG mass transit buses to cushion this? Even Goodluck Jonathan through SURE-P provided some buses (though it was after reaching agreement with labour). I remember Sure-P bus from Oshodi to Mile 2(in Lagos) charges N50 while other commercial buses were charging N100-N150 per fare. At least that was a good alternative.

I don't think it is appropriate to commend Buhari due to his failure to provide palliative and provide proper roadmap. Removal of subsidy is the way forward but without palliative it becomes Nonsense and outright punishment.

The government must act responsibly by providing palliative. I am an advocate of subsidy removal but without palliative coupled with lack of electricity, I believe President Buhari acted inappropriately.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria
tony why will there be palative when the criminals that call themselves labour unions are dumb.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by ahaz: 10:57am On May 14, 2016
ArchEnemy:

Lesson is people say a lot of stuff during manifesto. ..

We should learn not to swallow all
apart from submitting NEPA bill as cerificare, there was no sound manifesto debate to weigh the intellects of the would be leaders,,we all voted with blindfolds.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by mikesammy(m): 11:00am On May 14, 2016
Rose2014:
When I first heard the word PSYCHOLOGY, I spelt it as SYCOLOGY. I didn't know there was a silent P
When APC promised us N45 as pms pump price, I didn't also know there was a silent 'hundred'

Copied
And when he promised to give the jobless Nigerians#5000 naira, he actually mean that he promise to collect #5000 monthly fromthe poorest and jobless nigerians
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by orisa37: 11:19am On May 14, 2016
God did not provide subsidies to Moses and Aaron to distribute Manna to His people? Crude oil is for the people of Nija, God of Nigeria. Distributors of this are indirectly appointed by God for a wager and not subsidies. It's now wicked to pay subsidies and palliatives.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by precious1967(m): 11:28am On May 14, 2016
truth is bitter. u are right
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Nobody: 11:36am On May 14, 2016
Built2last:

You just spoke my mind... This govt is not sensitive to the plight of its citizens... A govt and party built on lies and deceit...they are the ones that need change not the citizens!

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:41am On May 14, 2016
redcap:

That's very certain, every business person knows that whenever there's an increase in price of a commodity from source the first thing you do it to reflect the same increment on ur available stock so that when next you order you won't fall below the MOQ, simple!
If that is not wickedness then what is it? this government has failed Nigerians
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Amanwulu1(m): 12:01pm On May 14, 2016
Lordave:
Nice points though, but I think it's still ill-conceived given that no astute economic effort has been made to remedy the condition of the nation financially. Among other things, PMD'S cost of unnecessary travels leaves a huge hole in the pocket of Nigeria. Our dollar reserve according to the government is diminished. The untold hardships PMD'S economic policies have caused are quite unbearable for most Nigerians yet no welfare programme has been established. No sane mind will logically support the removal of subsidy considering the situation we are in.
please what is d meaning of PMD in ur post? Let me guess "President Mohammadu Buhari".
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Amanwulu1(m): 12:02pm On May 14, 2016
Lordave:
Nice points though, but I think it's still ill-conceived given that no astute economic effort has been made to remedy the condition of the nation financially. Among other things, PMD'S cost of unnecessary travels leaves a huge hole in the pocket of Nigeria. Our dollar reserve according to the government is diminished. The untold hardships PMD'S economic policies have caused are quite unbearable for most Nigerians yet no welfare programme has been established. No sane mind will logically support the removal of subsidy considering the situation we are in.
please what is d meaning of PMD in ur post? Let me guess "President Mohammadu President Buhari".
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Lordave: 12:14pm On May 14, 2016
Amanwulu1:
please what is d meaning of PMD in ur post? Let me guess "President Mohammadu President Buhari".
It's the initials of our dear president.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Reference(m): 12:17pm On May 14, 2016
Quite agree. At least after surgery you are given pain killers while healing else you run mad or collapse from shock but like the late Prince, when you get addicted to painkillers aka palliatives.....death is not far from your economy. Nigerians always want the easy way out. They want to be Japan without being nuked or China without Mao. Sorry, ain't gonna happen.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Sheenor: 12:19pm On May 14, 2016
Built2last:

For your information, what the government did was price modulation to knock off subsidy payment by government. They have simply told the masses to pay.

Sir, please explain the above bold statement better. I don't understand that... Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:36pm On May 14, 2016
ahaz:
tony why will there be palative when the criminals that call themselves labour unions are dumb.
We have labour without balls
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by banki(m): 12:40pm On May 14, 2016
tempest01:
2012 where you pdp or apc? You've swung a lot
Did apc exist in 2012
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by bobochem: 12:46pm On May 14, 2016
y is people comparing oil sector with telecommunication sector,both of them are 2 different entity.comparing telecommunication deregulation to oil sector deregulation is like comparing malaria drugs to paracetamol.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Built2last: 12:56pm On May 14, 2016
Sheenor:

Sir, please explain the above bold statement better. I don't understand that... Thanks.

In literal terms ..It means subsidy was only transfered from the cabal to the masses to pay.

1 Like

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by tempest01(m): 1:06pm On May 14, 2016
banki:

Did apc exist in 2012

Nope...the parties that merged to form apc in 2013 existed....OP edited his post, you would have seen the reason for my question
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Sheenor: 1:15pm On May 14, 2016
Built2last:

In literal terms ..It means subsidy was only transfered from the cabal to the masses to pay.

Pardon my ignorance, was it the Cabals that were paying subsidy before or #FG? Or is FG the Cabals? If no, who are they
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Built2last: 1:31pm On May 14, 2016
Sheenor:

Pardon my ignorance, was it the Cabals that were paying subsidy before or #FG? Or is FG the Cabals? If no, who are they

FG was paying cabals but now they have stopped and transferred the payment to you and I.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Sheenor: 1:38pm On May 14, 2016
Built2last:

FG was paying cabals but now they have stopped and transferred the payment to you and I.

I get it, now the N145 fix price ain't gonna be possible, meaning that is not right for FG to fix any price, rather the price will be determine by the marketers right?
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by booblacain(m): 1:44pm On May 14, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
normalized as in how? you mean the suffering is now official?

I am not really against subsidy but against failure to provide palliative
he means the suffering has become normal.
Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 14, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
normalized as in how? you mean the suffering is now official?

I am not really against subsidy but against failure to provide palliative

When you say failure to provide palliatives, do you actually mean failure to announce a program of palliatives? If palliatives amount to another subsidy - i.e. Sure-P buses isn't this like a dog chasing it's tail? The entire program of this government is based on reflating the economy while providing relief to the most vulnerable. As such, the 2016 budget has palliatives built in, not by way of a program that can be hijacked and corrupted but by providing opportunity and challenge. Conditional cash transfers, new jobs in education, grants to young entrepreneurs and N350bn worth of projects sounds pretty " big government" to me. We get growth, opportunity and also a high bar challenge to recast the way we live and do business. While the word " palliative" might have political resonance right now, its a bit of a nonsense when one considers the thrust of the 2016 budget. Yes there will be a time lag but it shouldn't last long and it should refocus our minds to improve our savings to consumption ratio.

Just to help readers get it. I've attached a few pictures below

Re: Removal of Subsidy Without Provision of Palliative Is Wickedness by fabre4: 2:16pm On May 14, 2016
otokx:
The so called 4 refineries in Nigeria should be sold of to different companies if possible, personally I doubt if ever they can work.

They have just been using them as tools to steal money for many many years.

Apart from the massive land and storage tanks the rest is just massive pieces of scrap metals.

Privatization is the only way out so I agree with you just look at the the way power has improved since it was privatised

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Shuns Tinubu’s Committee — Ganduje's Aide / Fuel Scarcity May Worsen As Marketers Threaten Strike / Osun: Adeleke Orders Payment Of Pensions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.