Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,436 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? (8229 Views)

Petrol Station Attendants Flaunt Buttocks As Marketing Strategy (Photos) / Report Any Filling Station Selling Petrol Above N87 To DPR Here / Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by erico2k2(m): 1:25am On Aug 20, 2009
@Outstrip,
This idea makes sence, PUMP it urself grin grin
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by puskin: 2:49am On Aug 20, 2009
@outstrip & erico
Do U think pumping it urself will gv U an accurate measure?
It is obvious U dnt knw anything about fuel pumps.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by puskin: 2:51am On Aug 20, 2009
FUEL PUMPS: Once the metering system has been tampered with (under-pump), no matter who's pumping it, it will alwayz UNDER-PUMP/short-change/dispense quantity below the paid-for quantity.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by DoubleN(m): 7:29am On Aug 20, 2009
Almost all Fuel Stations are guilty of this crime especially the ones operated by independent marketers.I wonder how the DPR will tackle this menace.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by erico2k2(m): 7:40am On Aug 20, 2009
puskin:

@outstrip & erico
Do U think pumping it urself will gv U an accurate measure?
It is obvious U dnt knw anything about fuel pumps.

If you pay attention a bit you will realize we are speaking from a society where you have to servve yourself at the petrol station,i.e handle the pump yourself.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by dholla1(m): 9:20am On Aug 20, 2009
Kindly add the AP filing station near Immigration in Ikoyi. Bought fuel there a couple of times and came up short each time. Now I try to only buy from NNPC in Ikoyi, you cant trust these people (marketers).
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by dfanthom(m): 10:19am On Aug 20, 2009
guy hurry down to DPR & CPC i.e Consumer Protection Council to lay the complaints. i don't subscribe to emails however if you have to, still re-inforce it with a hard copy memo. then you can also send mails to say the dailies like thisday, punch, vanguard, the nation & dailytrust etc for them to also investigate.
sure that in no time these stations will be picketed & sanctioned appropriately. grin
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by gReenmAn(m): 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2009
In my area at Alagbado Lagos. The major culprit is the Oandol Petrol Station almost opposite the Alakuko Police Station, all their fuel dispensers have been adjusted to cheat patrons.

On this particular day, I forgot to by fuel at my usual station and decided to patronize them. N850 fuel usually fills my Jerry-can to the brim, that has been the case for over two years since I started using the container.
But it got just a little above the halfway line when I bought from that station. I felt the attendant did not erase the last sales from the meter before dispensing for me. I took it up with her and I asked for the Manager. I asked them to empty the can into my car after marking the level of the fuel. We all watched while the container was refilled for the same amount. Lo and behold it got to exactly the same level. I had to leave there embarrassed.

Just to re assure myself that I wasn't wrong, I went to my regular station the next day to buy with the same container, and I felt justified when the container was filled to the brim at the same cost.

As a rule of thumb, I have learnt never to patronize any filling station that commercial vehicles do not flock to in large numbers. The yellow buses' patronage is a sure indicator that the station dispenses accurately. These buses, by the nature of their business in Lagos state know all the crooked petrol stations and will avoid them like rabid dogs.

1 Like

Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by kokoye(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2009
erico2k2:

If you pay attention a bit you will realize we are speaking from a society where you have to servve yourself at the petrol station,i.e handle the pump yourself.

If you also pay attention a bit you will realise his next post explains why the self-serve option will not make any difference in Nigeria.

puskin:

FUEL PUMPS: Once the metering system has been tampered with (under-pump), no matter who's pumping it, it will alwayz UNDER-PUMP/short-change/dispense quantity below the paid-for quantity.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by Iranoladun(f): 3:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
I have experienced this in almost all the stations (in Lagos and few outside Lagos) based on a personal research; Total, Texaco, Oando, Mobil, AP you name it.  

My conclusion is that very few stations that have a Godfearing Dealer as the owner or Manager and NNPC are the exceptions amongst all the Marketers (who actually desist from perpetrating this fraud).

I think the regulatory agencies responsible are:

Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR)
Weight & Measure unit under Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Consumer Protection Council (CPC)

With some advance gratification/payment the Weight & measure guys look the other way when they are inspecting the dispensing instruments of most stations and allow them to get away with fleecing unsuspecting buyers of their hard-earn money by selling inaccurate fuel via the pumps.

I think someone need to take these station to task on this inaccuracies.  We should stop whining on the internet & pages of newspaper but report them to the appropriate agencies use the Human Rights channel if need be in order to get justice.  This is a case that a truly investigative Journalist can unravel in collaboration with credible organization/individual (Non- Government Organization-NGO or Non-government individual-NGI  : angry angry sad.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by kokoye(m): 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2009
Iranoladun:

I think someone need to take these station to task on this inaccuracies. We should stop whining on the internet & pages of newspaper but report them to the appropriate agencies use the Human Rights channel if need be in order to get justice. This is a case that a truly investigative Journalist can unravel in collaboration with credible organization/individual (Non- Government Organization-NGO or Non-government individual-NGI : angry angry sad.

I hope you too have stopped whining on the Internet and actually reported them to the appropriate agencies use the Human Rights channel.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by tboss2(m): 5:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
Call the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) on 3200440-9 ext: 50440.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by yeyeruzi: 7:25pm On Aug 20, 2009
Well I have a mobil filling station near by where I stay and I used to inhale different types of strong chemical odour coming from there which don't smell like normal kerosene, petrol, or diesel fuel. I have reasons to believe they adulterate these fuels with some sort of chemicals which sometimes give them different textures and colours (imaging diesel one time looking like lacasera but thick and another time of buying looking like zobo or tastytime which is darker than petrol itself).

There are two ways of filling your container!

1) the use the buttons to set the amount for filling automatically
2) the fill it with manual filling with their eyes on the meter

A man was friendly with me one time and told me to watch the meter while I wanted to buy a N2000 diesel. He fixed it to N1500 on the filling machine and did the rest (N500) manually. He didn't explain why but gave a gesture that he did GOOD! Similar situations happened before and afterward with different staffs there.

Reporting to who is not corrupt is a gamble.

I just want to know which one pays the most: the manual filling or automatic filling?
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Aug 20, 2009
@puskin
I did not mean to sound rude, its just that in the UK and America, you have 2 serve yourself at the Gas station hence my comments,I did that for almost 6 yrs.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by realborn(m): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2009
@ Post,

I experienced same despicable treatment yesterday.
I became a regular customer of this thieving attendants after it was referred by one of our domestic staff as being the best within the area.
Of recent i noticed i paid more and got less.

Yesterday, i made it a point of duty to compute the permutations myself. To my amazement, i was charged N7100 for 64 litres of diesel at N105. I was confused. My car runs on diesel.

I went berserk. I did the calculations and arrived at N6,720 thus a difference of N400 (which translate to personal gains for the attendant). This occured before 7am in the morning. Therefore imagine the wealth that these attendants accumulate from fraudulent practices. Before the close of business the said attendant will be raking within N5,000 - N10,000 or more daily. His salary obviously wont be above more than N25,000.

The attendant profusely condemned the dispenser's meter reading confirmimg that the price was right. I called one of the attendants who knows my face as a regular caller to intervene. He immediately signaled the erring attendant to refund the difference thus a joint act.

Hmmmmm, corruption is deeply rooted in our blood as Nigerians. God help us.

The details of the petrol station are as follows:

Name: ASCON
Location: Akilo, Marketing Road off Ijaiye road Ogba, quite close to Latter Rain Church

Thus Nairalanders beware.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 21, 2009
there's more than meets the eye to the business of what is called pump calibration

as stated before - what is supposed to obtain is that one takes a 20 litre measuring can and after a series of tsts, ensure that the pump dipenses 20 litres for 20 litres. in reality though, allowances are alwaya made - and these can range from 20.05 to 20.1 litres for every 20 litres.

this is done because selling at the exact 20 litres will almost result in a net loss for thee station dealer -

this occurs in part because of tanker drivers - they almost invariably find a way to siphon 500 litres of product from a 33000 litre tanker enroute to the station. there are also issues at several depots often nnpc depots with miscalibrated loading arms that dispense less than 33,000 litres in to 33,000 litre tankers. this means that the dealer is paying for less than he is due

secondly, the business of ripping off customers cannot always be directly attributed to companies. it is often the greedy station dealers or attendants working in isolation. you can visit a station recalibrate the pumps, and the dealers guys are coming in as you are leaving to recalibrate again.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by heritage00(m): 11:24am On Aug 21, 2009
The worst feeling station i know generally is TEXACO and the best i know so far is FATGBEMS PETROLEUM along Jakande Estate Isolo Road,there metre is always accurate and they sell for 64 naira per littre,can anyone testify to this ?
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by bayol2001: 11:45am On Aug 21, 2009
ok, i will look into it next week when we go for monitoring, please make sure u avoid petrol sations like this.pls everybody should try and study thier fuel tanks,so that you can no when you have been cheated.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by heritage00(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2009
bayol2001@ are you an official
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by MUZBO(m): 6:48pm On Aug 21, 2009
Outstrip:

Why can't you pump it yourself. I mean will they stop you from doing that if they are standing right there?
That could be dangerous- there's something about static electricity and fires that makes it so. I think the best way out is to tell them to log the price into the machine and then hands off and allow it sell. What do y'all think?
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by erico2k2(m): 7:52pm On Aug 21, 2009
MUZBO:

That could be dangerous- there's something about static electricity and fires that makes it so. I think the best way out is to tell them to log the price into the machine and then hands off and allow it sell. What do y'all think?
This is not true, in the UK we sell ourself petrol, you got to hanle the Pump yourself and then g inside to pay at the til, or some pumps have credit/debit card terminal, you dont even have to intaract with no one.,the only reason why this cant happen here is that guys would drive away and wont pay.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by MUZBO(m): 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2009
erico2k2:

This is not true, in the UK we sell ourself petrol, you got to hanle the Pump yourself  and then g inside to pay at the til, or some pumps have credit/debit card terminal, you dont even  have to intaract with no one.,the only reason why this cant happen here is that guys would drive away  and wont pay.
I was just refering to the science behind the danger of selling fuel yourself not the morality of whether you pay or not afterwards.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by erico2k2(m): 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2009
Im quite sure that if there was any element of danger in self service at the EU would have stoppped it,the issue of static electricity has been sorted out in the pump station,but i think the only issue would be that people, will drive off thier car without paying
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by EMYDON(m): 10:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
[color=][/color]
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by igmacco(m): 7:27am On Aug 25, 2009
NA TODAY, NA YOU BE THE FIRST TO COMPLAIN, EVEN IBB FILLING STATION SEF DEY DO AM,,,, I AM LIVING IN SADIKU B4 I COMOT 9JA ENTER JAPAN,
AND I KNOW THE STATION WELLA, CUZ I BUY FUEL THERE,,,, I KNOW SAY THEY ARE DOING IT,, CALL YARADIE AND TELL HIM OR IBB AND TELL HIM.
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by realborn(m): 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2009
realborn:

@ Post,

I experienced same despicable treatment yesterday.
I became a regular customer of this thieving attendants after it was referred by one of our domestic staff as being the best within the area.
Of recent i noticed i paid more and got less.

Yesterday, i made it a point of duty to compute the permutations myself. To my amazement, i was charged N7100 for 64 litres of diesel at N105. I was confused. My car runs on diesel.

I went berserk. I did the calculations and arrived at N6,720 thus a difference of N400 (which translate to personal gains for the attendant). This occured before 7am in the morning. Therefore imagine the wealth that these attendants accumulate from fraudulent practices. Before the close of business the said attendant will be raking within N5,000 - N10,000 or more daily. His salary obviously wont be above more than N25,000.

The attendant profusely condemned the dispenser's meter reading confirmimg that the price was right. I called one of the attendants who knows my face as a regular caller to intervene. He immediately signaled the erring attendant to refund the difference thus a joint act.

Hmmmmm, corruption is deeply rooted in our blood as Nigerians. God help us.

The details of the petrol station are as follows:

Name: ASCON
Location: Akilo, Marketing Road off Ijaiye road Ogba, quite close to Latter Rain Church

Thus Nairalanders beware.

It is my pleasure to inform the house that the Manager of the above mentioned Petrol station (my last post on this issue) walked up to me today and apologised profusely and condemned the act by the attendant. He informed that as soon as he was informed of the aspersion to the Petrol Station he investigated and the culprit was immediately dismissed. Today I confirmed the pump settings are correct without any tweaking. A commendable and proactive meaure by the Manager. Thus the Petrol Station has returned to my good books.

This proves to say that Nairaland has proven very effective. It will always remain the voice of the masses. Nairalanders, Keep up the good job. Cheers
Re: How To Report A Cheating Petrol Station? by fawaz050(m): 10:04am On Apr 20, 2023
realborn:

It is my pleasure to inform the house that the Manager of the above mentioned Petrol station (my last post on this issue) walked up to me today and apologised profusely and condemned the act by the attendant. He informed that as soon as he was informed of the aspersion to the Petrol Station he investigated and the culprit was immediately dismissed. Today I confirmed the pump settings are correct without any tweaking. A commendable and proactive meaure by the Manager. Thus the Petrol Station has returned to my good books.

This proves to say that Nairaland has proven very effective. It will always remain the voice of the masses. Nairalanders, Keep up the good job. Cheers

Alas, this same issue still lingers and Nairaland is no longer the voice of the masses.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Bank Gives Out Loan Without Collateral / Steps To Starting A Private School And Increasing Your Private School's Success / Salary: Indorama Eleme Fertilizer & Chemical Ltd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.