Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,560 members, 7,837,153 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Popular Governor Threatens To Resign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Popular Governor Threatens To Resign (907 Views)

Borno Governor Threatens Emirs For Receiving PDP Aspirants / The Most Influencial And Popular Governor In Nigeria Today / Who Is The Most Popular Governor In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by riyenews(m): 10:17pm On Aug 16, 2009
riyenews@.com

The overbearing nature of the former governor of a coastal state in South West Nigeria on the current administration in the state is giving his successor, who is very popular, a tough time with his job so much that he recently threatened to resign. The incumbent governor, who many believe has achieved in two years more than what his predecessor and mentor could not in eight years, in the state known for its marine life and chaotic traffic jams, in terms of road construction and rehabilitation, security as well as transportation, complained at a meeting recently that the former governor is not giving him the free hand he needs on many policies and programmes which would improve living standard of the people and ought to be free of political calculations and selfish interests. Even on political appointments and staff matters, the governor complained bitterly that his hands are tied.

According to our impeccable source, the governor, whose political slogan has now become a popular mantra among residents of the state, threw down the gauntlet at the meeting with the former governor who solely financed his election in 2007. In attendance were other party leaders and the paramount traditional ruler of the state. The governor reportedly told his predecessor in plain and clear language that enough is enough and if he is not given a free hand with his imminent cabinet reshuffle among other matters, he will walk out.

Our source said that before the meeting, the governor had told some of his close associates that he will not to allow the shams that transpired in 2007 during the appointments of commissioners, political appointees and “selections” of local government chairmen in the state, occur again. “Can you imagine a situation where a sitting governor has just 2% input in the choice of commissioners and local government chairmen while the former governor is the Alfa and Omega who decides everything from commissioners to councillors? The situation in which the incumbent governor finds himself is more than being a lame duck; he is still acting like a chief of staff pure and simple”.

Our source said that the former governor was quite surprised by the ferocity of the threat, but he realized that his successor is a highly principled man and was not bluffing, so after arguing back and forth, he agreed to allow the governor pick 60% of his new team. The leader, who also has grand ambitions to become the socio-political leader of his tribe, is faced with a growing dilemma with his political godson and former assistant, which is the growing stature of the governor.
“The ex-governor, more than any one, has been amazed with the zeal, transparency and focus of his political godson which has greatly endeared him to the people more than was expected. It is this popularity that has given the governor the courage to stand up to his mentor”, said our source. “But with his antecedents, one expects that the king maker will wait to take his own pound of flesh from his rebellious political son in the near future. Your guess is as good as mine as to what he will do” added our source.

But our source says that the popular governor has many aces up his sleeve. One of them was played out recently when he released the internally generated revenue (IGR) figures of the state in the last two years and the huge fees that was paid to the state’s tax consultant and revenue collector. According to our source, “the whole world knows that the tax consultant company is closely associated with the ex - governor, so the popular governor was throwing down a marker as it were; sending a strong signal to his mentor, that when push comes to shove, the opposition and general public will know where to look to check the excesses of this leader”. Stay tuned.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Aug 16, 2009
This thread is USELESS if no source is provided. PERIOD!!
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Beaf: 10:25pm On Aug 16, 2009
riyenews:

According to our impeccable source, the governor. . .

Our source said that before the meeting. . .

Our source said that the former governor was quite surprised by the ferocity of the threat. .

. . .added our source.

But our source. . .

Is this gossip? Or is the story innacurate. Why aren't any names mentioned, yet enough hints are dropped so we know. . . whisper whisper its Fashola and Tinubu.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by annyplenty(m): 10:37pm On Aug 16, 2009
This post is possibly from OPPOSITION. they are looking for every possible means of breaking the duo so they can hijack the state in 2011.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by SapeleGuy: 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2009
[b]P[/b]eople [b]D[/b]estroy [b]P[/b]eople at work again.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2009
You have opened three threads on NL and two of them are to attack Tinubu. You are gradually exposing your mission on NL and people here are no fools to be carried away by your fabricated stories. Opposition comes in different dimensions!! Reproduced below is your other post where you mischievously gave a meaning that only suits your destructive purpose to "Jeun Soke".

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-309498.0.html

BETWEEN EKO O NI BAJE AND JEUN SOKE

Lagos state Governor Babatunde Fashola has a slogan; Eko o Ni baje, roughly translated to mean that “May Lagos never be ruined”. It has become a popular mantra on the lips of Lagosians replacing Bola Tinubu’s “Jeun Soke” (Chop up). But many people have been curious and speculative about what prompted Fashola to coin the phrase when he campaigned for the Lagos state gubernatorial office in 2007. Was it the absence or poor implementation of policies and programmes required for rapid socio-economic development in Lagos in the last 12 years before 2007 that caused Fashola, a bona fide Lagos boy (Omo Eko), to come to the inevitable and gloomy conclusion that Lagos was gradually losing its glory and vibrancy? Why did Fashola opt to discontinue with the “Jeun Soke” hymn of his predecessor and mentor Bola Tinubu?

To find out what informed Fashola’s slogan, it is important to first of all identify the managers of “Lagos affairs” in the last 12 years prior to May 2007, when Fashola was sworn in as Governor and determine if they are responsible or not for the decline of the Centre of Excellence. We know that in 8 of these 12 years, Lagos state was governed by Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, while the remaining 4 years was split between two military administrators, namely Brigadiers Oyinlola and Marwa. We are also aware that military regimes are not accountable to anyone. Therefore for the purpose of this write up, it is unnecessary to look at their records, but to conclude that the military administrators were part of the reasons why Eko Ti Fe Ma baje (Lagos is slipping into decay).

However, since these two military officers were in office for a combined period that is just half of Tinubu’s two terms of eight years, one cannot but place a substantial part of Eko Ti Fe Ma baje fully at the doorsteps of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu. It was the Jeun Soke era that was so much loved by the miscreants of Lagos. Democratically elected Tinubu, more than any other of the previous managers of Lagos state, is responsible for the decay and drift that Fashola has been addressing since 2007.

Are the many problems confronting Lagos state today the direct consequence of 8 years of inept governance, corruption, indiscipline and governance model that encouraged selfish interests? The answer is yes. But to play the Devil’s advocate, it can be argued that Fashola coined the phrase as a campaign slogan to convince Lagosians not to allow the PDP win the governorship seat so that a PDP government will not destroy Lagos and not because he felt that the overall effect of Tinubu’s Jeun Soke on Lagosians was the inculcation of a decadent and covetous mind-set among the people which became counter productive. Therefore, although the argument may sound reasonable, it is quite untenable. The reality is that prior to 2007; those who administered the affairs of Lagos were already fast asleep at the switch after eight years of Jeun Soke.

Here are the facts about Lagos before 2007. Transparency was a scarce commodity while terror was in ample supply in Lagos. Lagosians silently suffered untold hardship in the hands of a ham-fisted government. Lagos became the centre of mediocrity and deceit. Social and recreational activities were at an all time low because miscreants known as area boys were in control of the streets. A man who, for all intents and purposes, had no ethical justification to hold any public office, even as dog catcher, given the unanswered questions about his academic qualifications, was governor. Here was a governor who was encouraging the Jeun Soke philosophy with so much gusto. Social miscreants were boldly telling Lagosians that their boss (Tinubu) had given them the go ahead to Jeun Soke. Jeun Soke was about individual prosperity at the expense of the general well being. In that kind of environment, it was no surprise that Lagos experienced great decay.

The only thing the Tinubu administration had going for it was effective propaganda machinery that was first class and “Jeun Soke”. Therefore the notion that Fashola was somehow referring to the opposition Political Party (in this case the PDP) that had never formed a government in the state, when he uttered that slogan is not only irrational, but also downright disingenuous. The man was looking inwards. Jeun Soke was destroying Lagos while Eko o Ni Baje seeks to repair that damage.

But the reality is that for Eko not to Baje, many Lagosians must unavoidably get hurt. Therefore Jeun Soke had to be discontinued. Fashola recognised this and as a pragmatic leader, he was not afraid to act. His predecessor Bola; the Asiwaju of Lagos area boys wanted to be loved by area boys and alayes. So he allowed miscreants to roam freely all over the metropolis. For eight years they were everywhere extorting money from Lagosians with all kinds of names like 54 Kiniun (54 Lions) designed to instil fear in the minds of Lagosians.

Tinubu loved the area boys of Lagos more than the common people and they loved him in return. Their well being and happiness was one of the top priorities of his administration. When Fashola began campaigning for votes in 2007 with the Eko o Ni Baje slogan, Tinubu did not realize that his successor was implicitly telling him that he (Alaye Tinubu) was at the top of the list of those who were destroying Lagos. Fashola was also sending a heads up to Tinubu’s co travellers like the area boys that the days of Jeun Soke are over. It was a clever message to Asiwaju from Fashola.

The truth is that Fashola has reversed many policies of the Tinubu administration so that Eko o Ni Baje. The street traders along Oshodi, Mushin, Lagos/Badagry expressways and other major streets in Lagos will attest to this. The area boys, who extort money from these traders, can also testify that the fear of Fashola is the beginning of wisdom in Lagos. As a result couple with a well equipped and incentivised police force, the crime rate has gone down considerably in Lagos state. Road users will confirm that driving through Oshodi and Mushin is no longer a nightmare. When Fashola gives an ultimatum Lagosians comply with automatic alacrity and military precision. Fashola has no military background, but somehow he has managed to do, without fanfare, what gun totting boys in khaki and Asiwaju Tinubu could not do in Lagos for more than 12 years.

Lagos is green under Fashola while it was dark brown during the dog days of Tinubu. Lush and green fields are suddenly springing up in open public areas and under bridges that hitherto were dusty and full of refuse and hideouts for miscreants to Jeun Soke. On road construction and rehabilitation, Tinubu did not discriminate. He refused to patch up roads in Victoria Island, Ikeja and Ikoyi as much as he ignored them in Ajegunle and Mushin. There are roads in high brow Lekki Peninsula that are as bad as what one finds at Olodi Apapa and Ijora Badia. While Tinubu kept the true figures of Lagos state financial position close to his chest, especially the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR), also known as “Jeun Si Apo” (Chop into your pocket), Fashola has released the figures periodically in the spirit of real transparency.

To be sure, there are still many problems confronting Lagos which Fashola has not even began to tackle, but to be fair, no one really expects him to clean up in two years the rot left behind by eight years of Tinubu’s government. It will take many years to reverse the extensive damage of Jeun Soke in Lagos state.

Fashola’s commendable governance model is poles apart from Tinubu that it is a breath of fresh air. Lagosians now have a ready reply to their Governor when he says Eko o Ni baje. They respond by saying “Laye! Eko Baje ti” (Lagos can never be destroyed). Jeun Soke has been forgotten and consigned for ever into the trash bin of history. May Lagosians never experience Jeun Soke again Amen. How about Eko O Ni Baje? What do you think?
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by riyenews(m): 11:39pm On Aug 16, 2009
hey mister get a grip of yourself. you described yourself as being gentle as a dove and yet you use such language to reply to my post. such contradictions, but i am not surprised, you are the same person who wants someone to slap the president of your country! But i dont have any problem with that. you are free to express your views no matter how pedestrian as i am allowed mine. so be cool
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2009
Being as gentle as a dove does not mean I should not express my views. You only need to convince us that what I have said about you is not true afterall I wasn't the only one who has criticised you on this thread.

If slapping the president is what will make him to be alive to his responsibilities, why not? And I have no regrets whatsoever for saying that. A whole lot of people have said worst things and justifiably so!!
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
@Desgiezd, are you tied to the Tinubu's waste or something? I mean why does it seem you are taking this personal? Are you related to any of the men mentioned?
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2009
How am I taking it personal? Please educate me. I have not insulted him in any way. I have only expressed what I noticed. As to being tied to Tinubu's waist, you may have to examine his torso/waist to find out.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by KnowAll(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2009
No matter how the spin doctors want to spin it, the relationship between those 2 aint the way it was. I dont think anybody should be expecting a link to clearly what is a natural phenomenon to we as human. We live to disagree and we disagree to live.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 12:54pm On Aug 17, 2009
@desgiezd , to take it personal does not imply you are insulting him in any way. Only that your approach to the thread is not on the message but you going after his person and trying to discredit him in your way. Notice, no names were mentioned in the post. grin
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 1:04pm On Aug 17, 2009
I have only said what I observed and we all know the personalities being referred to!!
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Aug 17, 2009
Well, lets assume this is about Fashola and Tinubu. If you actually read the article, you might come off praising Fashola for not being gutless after all. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with the idea that Fashola can disagree in some way with Tinubu, let alone lash out at him and tell him to back down. Creepy!!
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 1:22pm On Aug 17, 2009
Thank you
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2009
No, I really would prefer you actually read the posts yourself. The first on the difference between Tinubu and Fashola is not far from fact. I don't know why anyone would have issues with stating facts as they are. This particular thread, not providing any source, does not provide anyone any way of refuting the information without himself providing a source. So I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with any of the two.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by desgiezd(m): 1:35pm On Aug 17, 2009
Thank you, all the same.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by mogentle(m): 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

No, I really would prefer you actually read the posts yourself. The first on the difference between Tinubu and Fashola is not far from fact. I don't know why anyone would have issues with stating facts as they are. This particular thread, not providing any source, does not provide anyone any way of refuting the information without himself providing a source. So I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with any of the two.

@ Kobojunkie, its better u face reality and play the fact of the game. Why will someone not get concerned about a sensitive story with zero source. Those stories posted by same person aiming at thesame target.
@desgiezd was right for his concern and so do i. Q. E. D.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by PROJECT: 7:29pm On Aug 17, 2009
i dont understand people ooooo,why are u guys fighting over source when we all know that ,this men are from two different world,fashola has proven to me that he can work.i love him and will always pray for him however he has to surround himself with men of valor cos there is more to come
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by pcicero(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2009
Like what someone wrote, Fashola and Tinubu are not the best of friends now. Even Tinubu had to visit Fashola over the weekend with the media in attendance. Knowing Tinubu, he could not have done that if nothing was amiss. Those shouting PDP need to be abreast of Fashola's magical performance in comparison to Tinubu's style in office.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 17, 2009
The story lacks enormous credit since it has no reliable source.
However, only sentimentally driven minds will keep believing that Fashola and Tinubu have the same mindset, share the goals and will remain pals. Fashola has a strong passion to clean up Lagos (as said) while Tinubu has a strong passion to milk Lagos dry, remain relevant, powerful and make the best use of the sympathy AC draws.
With these clear differences, they are bound to disagree on several issues which will push them to go their separate ways.
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2009
mogentle:

@ Kobojunkie, its better u face reality and play the fact of the game. Why will someone not get concerned about a sensitive story with zero source. Those stories posted by same person aiming at thesame target.
@desgiezd was right for his concern and so do i. Q. E. D.

Would the above stand in a court of law?  I mean think of what you posted above for a minute @mogentle. Someone makes a claim and no names mentioned but you decide it is conCRETE? Can you provide a source for your own side then?
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2009
nuzo:

The story lacks enormous credit since it has no reliable source.
However, only sentimentally driven minds will keep believing that Fashola and Tinubu have the same mindset, share the goals and will remain pals. Fashola has a strong passion to clean up Lagos (as said) while Tinubu has a strong passion to milk Lagos dry, remain relevant, powerful and make the best use of the sympathy AC draws.
With these clear differences, they are bound to disagree on several issues which will push them to go their separate ways.

Exactly!!
Re: Popular Governor Threatens To Resign by rethink: 9:54am On Aug 18, 2009
1+1 = 2

PLEASE GIVE ME THE SOURCE TO THIS

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Problem With Nigeria / Tompolo Writes Yar-adua A Must Read / Exclusive Chat With The Moderator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.