Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons (1087 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / Why The Church Will Suffer Tribulation Under The Antichrist / Pope Francis Meets With Nigerian Prostitutes Rescued In Italy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by nzgal: 1:55pm On May 15, 2016
In only three years, Pope Francis has proven that he's much more modern than Catholic leadership of the past. He's got accounts on Twitter and Instagram, rocks out on Spotify, and even promotes tolerance and kindness toward same-sex romantic relationships. In short, he's not like the other popes, he's a cool pope.

In April 2016, he released the Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love, in English), a 260-page document covering his views on family and relationships. Topics included the equality of women and tolerance to those in same sex relationships. He didn't break from essential Catholic doctrine, but he did gather these beliefs via talks and questionnaires with bishops as well as hundreds of Catholics around the world.

Now he's considering the idea of women becoming deacons. This will be a major event for the Catholic Church if it happens and might cause uproar among the "old school" Catholics.

CNN Reports

Pope Francis said the Vatican should study the possibility of ordaining women as deacons, answering a call that women, particularly in the United States, have been asking the church to address for decades.

The Pope's potentially groundbreaking remarks came, as they often do, in an off-the-cuff response to a question -- and it was not altogether clear exactly what he meant.

This time, the question came from the heads of women's religious orders, who met with Francis at the Vatican on Thursday and pressed him for concrete ways in which women might play a larger role in leading the Catholic Church. To date, Francis has praised the "feminine genius" but has not carried through on vague promises to appoint more women to leadership positions.

In a series of pointed questions -- the Pope joked that he felt like a goalie fielding shots -- the women called him out, asking why they can't preach at Mass or be ordained as deacons.

Women can give "reflections" at Catholic worship services, but only priests should preach homilies at Mass, the Pope answered, according to Vatican Radio, because they are acting "in persona Christi," or, in the person of Christ. Church leaders have used a similar argument to prevent women from being ordained as priests, saying that Jesus' disciples were all men.
But in the Bible, St. Paul mentions least one woman, Phoebe, who served the early church, possibly as a deaconess.

Asked about Phoebe on Thursday, the Pope said the role of Phoebe and other women wasn't clear, and he would ask the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to look into it.

"Constituting an official commission that might study the question?" the pontiff asked, according to National Catholic Reporter. "I believe yes. It would do good for the church to clarify this point. I am in agreement. I will speak to do something like this."

It is not clear, however, whether the Pope meant that the Vatican will study the role of women deacons in history or the possibility that women could be deacons in the future. The Vatican press office declined to comment, saying they are awaiting a full transcript of Francis' remarks.

Vatican Radio, however, which is run by the church, portrayed the Pope's remarks as a broad call "to set up a commission to study the possibility of reinstating female deacons."

The question is controversial because it would open the door for women into the Catholic Church's all-male clergy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/12/world/pope-women-deacons/

Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by bloomstar: 1:58pm On May 15, 2016
No wonder benedict left.... Everything is just changing..this life self.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 12:01pm On May 21, 2016
Pope Francis confuses me a lot. But this is just a proposal to call a commission to study the possibility of women deacons (deaconesses).

I have always been sceptical about him, just when I was backing him, he wants to open another controversy.

Italo, Syncan, ubenedictus, what do you think about this new move. I am back again. Lol
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 8:38pm On May 24, 2016
elampiro:
Pope Francis confuse me a lot. But this is just a proposal to call a commission to study the possibility of women deacons (deaconesses).

I have always been sceptical about him, just when I was backing him, he wants to open another controversy.

Italo, Syncan, ubenedictus, what do you think about this new move. I am back again. Lol
There is a question on a gray area of what is posible, pope benedict raised d issue in one of his writtings as cardinal, i expect it will be clarified and people can stop speculating.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 2:50pm On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
There is a question on a gray area of what is posible, pope benedict raised d issue in one of his writtings as cardinal, i expect it will be clarified and people can stop speculating.

Good.

Can you help me with Cardinal Ratzinger writing on the issue?

Some of my Catholic friends following Maria Divine Mercy have a way of blowing some things out of proportion. I no longer agree with them.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 3:27pm On May 25, 2016
elampiro:

Good.

Some of my Catholic friends following Maria Divine Mercy have a way of blowing some things out of proportion. I no longer agree with them.
i cant put my hands on it right now, i know it was signed by ratzinger in 2002 and it showed the church had an issue to clarify.

If i lay my hand on it, i'll give u d link, i remember d current perfect for d congregation of faith and doctrine card muller was one of d theologians who worked on d document.

Welcome back, its been long i heard frm u, hw u dey?
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 3:42pm On May 25, 2016
elampiro:

Good.

i think this is it it is frm the theological commision it was accepted by ratzinger. www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_pro_05072004_diaconate_en.html
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 3:54pm On May 25, 2016
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 4:43pm On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
i think this is it it is frm the theological commision it was accepted by ratzinger. www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_pro_05072004_diaconate_en.html

Thanks, I will study it.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Syncan(m): 4:49pm On May 27, 2016
elampiro:

Good.

@ bold, welcome back. The Pope is right in setting up a commission, we need to find out for example, the extent of Phoebe's involvement in the church at the time of Paul Rom.16:1-2, this will help the church explore as much as she could the participation of her female children in the liturgy and evangelism. This is the Catholic Church meticulous way of doing things, with the presence of the Holy Spirit, new light may be thrown on areas considered gray till now. "The Paraclete will teach you all things" did not have a time frame.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 4:45pm On May 29, 2016
elampiro:

Thanks, I will study it.
hw is d study going?
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 7:09pm On May 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
hw is d study going?

Not gone far. But I am impressed with the amount of effort put in. Imagine they spent ten years to arrive at that.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 7:23pm On May 29, 2016
elampiro:

Not gone far. But I am impressed with the amount of effort put in. Imagine they spent ten years to arrive at that.
after all the yrs of study they ended up telling u wwhat we already know-we need more clarificcations.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 11:51pm On May 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
after all the yrs of study they ended up telling u wwhat we already know-we need more clarificcations.

Exactly. So Pope Francis will need many years to study it all over.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Ubenedictus(m): 8:11pm On Jun 04, 2016
elampiro:

Exactly. So Pope Francis will need many years to study it all over.
Yeah everything happens slowly
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 10:16am On Jun 16, 2016
Ubenedictus, Syncan

Can you help to explain this part of the prayer for the year of Mercy? 'You willed that your ministers would also be clothed in weakness'

Some Catholics are making a show out of it.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Pchinak: 12:30pm On Jun 17, 2016
"You willed that your ministers would also be clothed in weakness in order that they may feel compassion for those in ignorance and error: let everyone who approaches them feel sought after, loved, and forgiven by God."

The complete sentence.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Syncan(m): 4:13pm On Jun 17, 2016
elampiro:
Ubenedictus, Syncan

Can you help to explain this part of the prayer for the year of Mercy? 'You willed that your ministers would also be clothed in weakness'

Some Catholics are making a show out of it.

It's common knowledge that you appreciate another's situation more if you've experienced something about it. This is why the writer of the book of Hebrews was happy to declare thus: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to have compassion on our weaknesses, but rather one who was tempted in all things, just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore, let us go forth with confidence toward the throne of grace, so that we may obtain mercy, and find grace, in a helpful time" Heb.4: 15-16.

So we see that in God's wisdom, He willed that His own son, who will become the High Priest, experiences something about our weakness. Though He overcame all temptation, but he now knows for sure how difficult it is for us. In same vein, since God chose the weak... 1Cor.1:27, it's His will to do this and not make them angels, that the ministers, in following Christ example in overcoming temptation, may as well show compassion to others, when they reach out to them, especially in the sacrament of reconciliation.
Clothed in weakness therefore portrays in my opinion, the experience of the frailties of the human nature in the face of temptations, and the rigors of the daily struggle to be perfect. Instead of making the minister's like angels, God willed that "my grace is enough for you".

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 5:20pm On Jun 17, 2016
Syncan:

It's common knowledge that you appreciate another's situation more if you've experienced something about it. This is why the writer of the book of Hebrews was happy to declare thus: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to have compassion on our weaknesses, but rather one who was tempted in all things, just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore, let us go forth with confidence toward the throne of grace, so that we may obtain mercy, and find grace, in a helpful time" Heb.4: 15-16.

So we see that in God's wisdom, He willed that His own son, who will become the High Priest, experiences something about our weakness. Though He overcame all temptation, but he now knows for sure how difficult it is for us. In same vein, since God chose the weak... 1Cor.1:27, it's His will to do this and not make them angels, that the ministers, in following Christ example in overcoming temptation, may as well show compassion to others, when they reach out to them, especially in the sacrament of reconciliation.
Clothed in weakness therefore portrays in my opinion, the experience of the frailties of the human nature in the face of temptations, and the rigors of the daily struggle to be perfect. Instead of making the minister's like angels, God willed that "my grace is enough for you".

Thanks, but it looks like I am not entirely satisfied.
Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by elampiro(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2016
Thanks Syncan. The response is okay for the matured mind. Only those with little spiritual maturity still argue.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis: Church Will Study Appointing Female Deacons by Gayjesus: 9:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
Very soon a Gay pope smiley

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Does God Love Me When I Sin? - Paul Ellis / Dirty Little Secrets Of Sodomites And Lesbians= Gangstalking & Organ Trafficking / Pastors Use Threat Of Curses To Force Church Members To Pay Tithe, Bishop Mike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.