Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu (4888 Views)

Aramide: "I Lost My Respect For Onyeka Onwenu After She Shunned Me At An Event" / Orezi And Onyeka Onwenu Give Their Opinion On Ladies Shaking Butts In Videos / Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 64th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 10:28pm On May 15, 2016
Onyeka Onwenu born January 1, 1952 (age 64), is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, actress, journalist, politician, and X Factor series judge. She is the youngest daughter of the Nigerian educationist and politician D.K Onwenu. Dubbed the "Elegant Stallion" by the Nigerian press, she is a former chairperson of the Imo State Council for Arts and Culture, and currently the Executive Director/chief executive officer of the National Centre for Women Development.

Broadcasting
Onwenu possess a BA in International Relations and Communication of the Wellesley College of Massachusetts, USA, and a master's degree in Media Studies from The New School for Social Research in New York. She worked for many years at the United Nations in New York before returning to Nigeria in 1980, where she completed the mandatory one-year National Service, at the NTA where she made an impact as an articulate, incisive and fearless reporter. In 1984, she wrote and presented the internationally acclaimed BBC/NTA documentary called Nigeria, A Squandering of Riches which became the definitive film about corruption in Nigeria as well as the intractable Niger Delta agitation for resource control and campaign against environmental degradation in the oil rich region of Nigeria. She has also served on the board of the NTA.

Music:

Onwenu began her music career in 1981 while still working with the NTA, releasing the album "For the Love of You". Originally a secular artist, she now sings mainly gospel music, and continues to write and sing about issues such as health (HIV/AIDS), peace and mutual coexistence, respect for women rights and the plight of children. Her latest effort titled, "Inspiration for Change," focuses on the need for an attitudinal turn around in Nigeria.

She is in partnership with Paris-based La Cave Musik, headed by Nigerian cultural entrepreneur Onyeka Nwelue, and UK-based Jungle Entertainment Ventures, headed by musicologist David Evans-Uhegbu. La Cave Musik is set to release her collection titled Rebirth of a Legend in November.

In 2013, she was named as one of the three judges on the Nigerian version of The X Factor. In recognition of her contribution to music and arts in Nigeria, she has been celebrated by professionals like Mahmood Ali-Balogun, Laolu Akins, Charles O'Tudor, and former PMAN president Tony Okoroji among others in the arts industry in Nigeria.[10]

Politics:

A member of the People's Democratic Party, Onwenu was in the running to become Local Council Chairman of her native Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo State, but was appointed Chairperson of Imo State Council for Arts and Culture by former governor Ikedi Ohakim. On 16 September 2013, President Goodluck Jonathan appointed her the Executive Director/chief executive officer of the National Centre for Women Development.

Film:

Onwenu has featured in numerous Nollywood movies and in 2006 won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, In 2014, she was in the movie Half of a Yellow Sun with Chiwetel Ejiofor and Thandie Newton

cc: laalasticlala
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyeka_Onwenu

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by MilesLamar(m): 10:30pm On May 15, 2016
I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hard work and dedication has finally paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and I would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. Next I would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my friend Pixie's cat, for being really fat and always there for me. I would also like to thank my pet tadpol for surviving against all odds for over a week. Next I would like to thank the rats that live in my neighbourhood for crossing busy roads and dodging all manner of vehicles because that gives me inspiration that I need to get through the day. This is a special moment in my life and I would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that I will never forget. I just remmembered a few other people I would like to thank; the fish I caught in the third grade, my light in my room because I wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on nairaland, my house because without it I would be homeless, and last but not least I would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how I did this, I would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, I would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing, thank you everyone.
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 10:37pm On May 15, 2016
Early days....

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 10:43pm On May 15, 2016
the Trade mark Hair.

its been a long time coming

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 10:45pm On May 15, 2016
lets celebrate a music icon as she keeps the light shining for upcoming stars

latest pictures

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2016
what do you remember about here?
definitely this will be one of her hit

One Love by
Onyeka Onwenu

Don't be sad; understand
Everybody has a day when the sun stays away
Take heart in a new tomorrow
Living one love between; Looks for a brighter day
You never need worry; Let one love set you free

One love keep us together
Living in a world it's a struggle to staying alive

Somebody tell me; Oh why do we fight it
One love can set us free; if we just let it be
Take heart in a brand new day
Cause love is all we need; To chase the past away
You never need worry; If you just let it be

Instrumental

You never need worry, no, no, Let one love set you free!

Instrumental

One Love (One love keep us together) repeat till fade

get the song here

http://busysinging.com/throwback-onyeka-onwenu-one-love/
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 9:01am On May 17, 2016
the Music Icon keep going strong

share some memories of her and the song you like most from her

cc: lalasticlala

the needfull
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 9:14am On May 17, 2016
MilesLamar:
I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hard work and dedication has finally paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and I would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. Next I would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my friend Pixie's cat, for being really fat and always there for me. I would also like to thank my pet tadpol for surviving against all odds for over a week. Next I would like to thank the rats that live in my neighbourhood for crossing busy roads and dodging all manner of vehicles because that gives me inspiration that I need to get through the day. This is a special moment in my life and I would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that I will never forget. I just remmembered a few other people I would like to thank; the fish I caught in the third grade, my light in my room because I wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on nairaland, my house because without it I would be homeless, and last but not least I would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how I did this, I would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, I would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing, thank you everyone.

congrats more MB to your phone cheesy
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 9:29am On May 17, 2016
Rechristened "the elegant stallion" by the soft-sell media to consternation. But this is a pointer her tough go getting drive. Onyeka has always won the admiration of many Nigerians since her musical hit One Love. And even when she staged protest at the gate of Nigerian television authority concerning artiste royalty fee many still applauded her bravery. She has maintained an excellent spirit in her career as a singer, journalist, actress and humanist. She started her early childhood education in Nigeria then moved over to the United States. She studied in the Wellesley College Massachusetts. In 1977-79 she was appointed a staff of the public information United Nations.

Through her music Onyeka, has enthused unparalleled patriotism, preached, peace, love and tolerance.She has Bagged such awards as the best pop artiste performing musicians association of Nigeria 1988 award, a certificate of appreciation from the United States Aid 1989, global media awards population institute award, Pan African arts and music awards.

the younger generation has a lot to learn from her

Read more: http://people.onlinenigeria.com/ad.asp?blurb=71#ixzz48toVekmG
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 9:33am On May 17, 2016
onyeka with The President

past and present

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 9:52am On May 17, 2016
Onyeka with the Old and new artists

Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 4:29pm On May 18, 2016
Whenever you discuss women and music in the Nigeria, one name stands out. Not because of the rhythmic flow of her songs but the inspirational undertone that comes with the genre of the music she produces. She has been unique and consistent over time. That woman is no one else but Nigeria’s Queen of Africa pop music, Onyeka Onwenu.

The Member of the Federal Republic (MFR) is an icon in the Nigerian music industry. A brand that knows her onion, Onyeka has not only carved a niche for herself in the Nigerian entertainment industry, but has inspired youth and women in particular to venture into entertainment and other careers hitherto the exclusive preserve of the male folk.

Onyeka Onwenu is unarguably one of Nigeria’s foremost female artists, who before venturing into music had practised journalism. Dubbed “Elegant Stallion and Incorruptible Nigerian of the day” by the Nigerian Press, Ms. Onwenu has scripted some of the most memorable songs in Nigeria’s entertainment industry. Onyeka is unique in her brand of music as she stands out as the only musician to have crossed pop with juju music and highlife.

cc: lalasticla
Re: Personality Profile And Pictures :Onyeka Onwenu by robosky02(m): 4:38pm On May 18, 2016
what can y ou remember of this elegant lady

(1) (Reply)

5 Female Nigerian Celebrities Who Have Claimed They Are Virgins. (photos) / Meet Chinko Ekun Twins Brother {images} / See The Celebrity With The Biggest Breast (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.