Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. (2056 Views)

Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA / Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm / Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by duketunde: 4:08pm On May 16, 2016
Have you been wondering what could be causing the present scarcity of tomatoes in the market in Nigeria, even though our dear country grows 1.5 million tonnes of tomatoes every year, making her the 14th biggest producer in the world. Well this is what you need to know about the current situation of tomatoes scarcity.

"Tuta absoluta" it is...I found this on the timeline of a fine Nigerian medical Doctor who resides in the UK and with a little research this is what i was able to come up with.

"Tuta absoluta is a species of moth in family Gelechiidae known by the common names tomato leafminer and South American tomato moth. It is well known as a serious pest of tomato crops in Europe and South America."

The larva feeds voraciously upon tomato plants, producing large galleries in leaves, burrowing in stalks, and consuming apical buds and green and ripe fruits. It is capable of causing a yield loss of 100%.

Tomato is the main host plant, but T. absoluta also attacks other crop plants of the nightshade family, including potato, eggplant, pepino and tobacco.It is known from many solanaceous weeds, including Datura stramonium, Lycium chilense, and Solanum nigrum.

The adult moth has a wingspan around one centimeter. In favorable weather conditions eight to ten generations can occur in a single year.

According to Wikipedia though the moth was first known as a tomato pest in South American countries, it was identified in Spain in 2006 and have since gone global as it has been detected in France, Italy, Greece, Malta, Morocco, Algeria, Libya and now its ravaging tomato farms in the northern parts of Nigeria.

Management:

It was revealed that some populations of Tuta absoluta have developed resistance to pesticide but new experiments have revealed some promising agents of biological pest control for this moth, including Nabis pseudoferus, a species of damsel bug.

Our Government's reaction:

Too busy with subsidy and petrol price hike to be worried about the tomato industries and its current woes. And a little wonder Billionaire business Mogul Alhaji Aliko Dangote suspended production at his processing factory barely three month after it began operations.

Read more at http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/05/tomato-scarcity-tuta-absoluta-pest.html#xFTWrjloIZoQroxj.99

Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by youngeagle(m): 4:12pm On May 16, 2016
That reminds me of the stories in the bible when God wants to punish a nation...I hope we didn't provoke God.
Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by duketunde: 4:16pm On May 16, 2016
hehehe my brother God forbid that kind punishment o, the suffer don do already lol
youngeagle:
That reminds me of the stories in the bible when God wants to punish a nation...I hope we didn't provoke God.
Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by rottennaija(m): 4:23pm On May 16, 2016
@op, I would like to know what is happening to maize (corn) at this time. Some insect is eating them, especially the stalk voraciously especially, those planted by April. Those that seems to escape are those planted early, by March.

1 Like

Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by AWONEYAN(m): 4:27pm On May 16, 2016
With the numbers of Agricultural research institutes,proffesor of Agriculture and crop protectionist its a big blow on us to be held in ransom by this small but lethal [tuta absoluta] organisms.

with the surplus of Tomatoes at the begining of this year, one can not imagine, we will be begging cameroun for tomato....

Minister of agric, Audu ogbe, stop telling us how u predicted bokoharams and act fasts.

The government should find a way of bringing in paliative/subsidy (na naija we dey hear diff gramar) in this respect. the effects is been felt by common man most. some people don dey think say na "CHANGE" cause am
Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by youngeagle(m): 4:47pm On May 16, 2016
duketunde:
hehehe my brother God forbid that kind punishment o, the suffer don do already lol
lol..we will survive

1 Like

Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by duketunde: 8:53pm On May 16, 2016
I believe the pest you're talking about is the Sesamia calamistis better known as the African pink stem borer, with all this i wonder how Nigerians will survive o, chai shey all this na part of CHANGE lol
AWONEYAN:
With the numbers of Agricultural research institutes,proffesor of Agriculture and crop protectionist its a big blow on us to be held in ransom by this small but lethal [tuta absoluta] organisms.

with the surplus of Tomatoes at the begining of this year, one can not imagine, we will be begging cameroun for tomato....

Minister of agric, Audu ogbe, stop telling us how u predicted bokoharams and act fasts.

The government should find a way of bringing in paliative/subsidy (na naija we dey hear diff gramar) in this respect. the effects is been felt by common man most. some people don dey think say na "CHANGE" cause am

Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by duketunde: 8:55pm On May 16, 2016
I believe the pest you're talking about is the Sesamia calamistis better known as the African pink stem borer
rottennaija:
@op, I would like to know what is happening to maize (corn) at this time. Some insect is eating them, especially the stalk voraciously especially, those planted by April. Those that seems to escape are those planted early, by March.
Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by rottennaija(m): 10:11pm On May 16, 2016
duketunde:
I believe the pest you're talking about is the Sesamia calamistis better known as the African pink stem borer

Thanks it looks more like it. I just check it in Google. How do you treat it?
Re: TOMATO SCARCITY: Tuta Absoluta The Pest Causing Tomatoes Scarcity In Nigeria. by duketunde: 12:45am On May 17, 2016
Read this article may offer some help http://www.plantwise.org/KnowledgeBank/Datasheet.aspx?dsid=49748 but if live close to Ibadan you can visit IART Moor Plantation to get grains that are resistance to the pest.. tho there may be stores around you selling this as well
rottennaija:

Thanks it looks more like it. I just check it in Google. How do you treat it?

(1) (Reply)

High quality locally sourced fishmeal / Join The Tractor Hire Business Today And Smile To Bank / Nigerian Government Should Invest In Agriculture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.