Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo (9457 Views)

King Edward Asimini Celebrates 20 Years On The Throne In Bonny Kingdom / IGBO AMAKA! This 5 Photos Will Make You Fall In Love With Igbo Culture. (PHOTOS) / Emir Sanusi:hausa Have No Axe To Grind With Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by omenka(m): 6:31am On May 17, 2016
CltrAltDel:

I don laugh tire. ...just simple question them they write editorial up and down grin
Lucky people. The thread has been moved to culture section. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 6:32am On May 17, 2016
HopeAtHand:

During slave trading, Igboland supplied slaves to almost all ethnicities far and near. Opobo, Bonny, Okrika, Kalabari, Ikwerre etc.

The slaves who weren't traded further gradually integrated themselves into their new society by basically learning language, customs and norms.

In the the case of bonny and opobo, after the "prescribed ceremonies", the slaves supplanted Ibani with Igbo. A first time visitor to bonny or opobo will be shocked at how Igbo is spoken as first language.

If you have to correct the "anomaly" and revert back to your language, you will need to do more than asking what "bo ye fi" means. what next? Maybe you should adopt the entire Kalabari language.
[size=13pt]I have said that it is quite a sight to see that Igbos do not even know their own history and this is the process by which they educate themselves on their own history as it relates to others

Step 1) Imagine a thing that feeds their peculiar case of historical grandeur mirage.
Step 2) Come out in public and assert it as a prof would assert a fact.
Step 3) Repeat step 2 until the folly therein has been exposed.
Step 4) Start from step 1 all over again.

Now I attach below the explanation for the the use of Igbo in the Bonny main town. Look at the kind of source associated with my info. And are you not aware that Bonny main town is just the capital of the ancient kingdom? Do you know that every other village in the kingdom did not get affected by the information I have attached below?

Anyway, I believe my questions are appropriate. I have lived in Nember and Brass before, which are both father away from Bonny than Kalabari and the language is just like Ibani because they are all Ijaws. So there is no question of Adopting their language. We (kalabaris, Ibanis, Okrikas, Nembers, etc) already adopted the same tongue from wherever it was that we originated from.
[/size]

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 6:50am On May 17, 2016
olaitoro:

go is english
muu is ibani Igbo
puo is dieletic igbo
fuo is awka/ enugu Igbo
rufu is abakiliki Igbo
jee central Igbo
gaa is onitsha urban Igbo
etc.

my dear watch the difference, it mustn't be pronounce the same way for it to be a dialect of a langauge.

what makes a langauge a dialect is that when it is mutually intelligible with the main langauge.

for instance, someone from Bonny doesnt need an interpreter to communicate with an orlu man and vice verse.

[size=17pt]No o! from your explanation "Go" must be English Igbo

And "Wa" must be Yoruba Igbo

And "Zo" must be Hausa Igbo

Just as "O beee boo wa mu" must be Ibani Igbo

And "Shokolokobangoshe" or "Ero ona ni royin oka to gbo" must be Yoruba Igbo

Display yourself.

Fraud!

In fact...

gerrarahere mehn!
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by HopeAtHand: 6:54am On May 17, 2016
amInigerian:

[size=13pt]I have said that it is quite a sight to see that Igbos do not even know their own history and this is the process by which they educate themselves on their own history as it relates to others

Step 1) Imagine a thing that feeds their peculiar case of historical grandeur mirage.
Step 2) Come out in public and assert it as a prof would assert a fact.
Step 3) Repeat step 2 until the folly therein has been exposed.
Step 4) Start from step 1 all over again.

Now I attach below the explanation for the the use of Igbo in the Bonny main town. Look at the kind of source associated with my info. And are you not aware that Bonny main town is just the capital of the ancient kingdom? Do you know that every other village in the kingdom did not get affected by the information I have attached below?

Anyway, I believe my questions are appropriate. I have lived in Nember and Brass before, which are both father away from Bonny than Kalabari and the language is just like Ibani because they are all Ijaws. So there is no question of Adopting their language. We (kalabaris, Ibanis, Okrikas, Nembers, etc) already adopted the same tongue from wherever it was that we originated from.
[/size]

It still gives a bad impression if your aboriginal language isnt spoken in your administrative capital but restricted to villages and communuties beyond. No business takes us to your other villages, so we best conclude with what we see. Correct the anomaly while you can, if possible let Ibani be taught compulsorily in all primary schools in Bonny.

Pls and pls, a bonny man can hear kalabari and Okrika words, but a bonny man will be lost in Brass. A bonny man will be lost in Sagbama,Ogbia, Odi, Kolokuma etc. You don't need to paint "we are all Ijaw picture" to me. Ijawness is more a thing of culture similarity and not neccesarily language. Im a Riverian as you, some few decades back, Bayelsa was part of Rivers state. Leave that matter, lets not go into that.
Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 6:59am On May 17, 2016
HopeAtHand:

It still gives a bad impression if your aboriginal language isnt spoken in your administrative capital but restricted to villages and communuties beyond. No business takes us to your other villages, so we best conclude with what we see. Correct the anomaly while you can, if possible let Ibani be taught compulsorily in all primary schools in Bonny.

Pls and pls, a bonny man can hear kalabari and Okrika words, but a bonny man will be lost in Brass. A bonny man will be lost in Sagbama,Ogbia, Odi, Kolokuma etc. You don't need to paint "we are all Ijaw picture" to me. Ijawness is more a thing of culture similarity and not neccesarily language. Im a Riverian as you, some few decades back, Bayelsa was part of Rivers state. Leave that matter, lets not go into that.
A Bonny man will not be lost in Brass. It is when you start going towards Sagbama, Ogbia etc, that the language starts changing more. I lived in Brass and Nembe myself when the two states were still one state. My dad communicated well with the Nember and Brass people. In fact, Kalabari, Bonny and Okrika wont be lost in Sagbama but the language varies more there and it gets harder to communicate. It gets even harder in Ogbia. It gets harder as you move further and further in that direction
Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by olaitoro(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2016
amInigerian:

[size=17pt]No o! from your explanation "Go" must be English Igbo

And "Wa" must be Yoruba Igbo

And "Zo" must be Hausa Igbo

Just as "O beee boo wa mu" must be Ibani Igbo

And "Shokolokobangoshe" or "Ero ona ni royin oka to gbo" must be Yoruba Igbo

Display yourself.

Fraud!

In fact...

gerrarahere mehn!
[/size]
my dear dont be daft, go and the meaning of intelligible.
I know even in your yoruba langauge, there are dialectic variation.

infact ekiti yoruba and ijebu yoruba have variances that some folk still doubt if they are yoruba dialect.

I stay in SW so I am not guessing.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by playtheblues(f): 7:03am On May 17, 2016
I answered your question for answering sake not because Igbos wanna claim you like you said. Who cares if you are Igbo-related or not? Do you know how many prominent Igbo sons and daughters are all over the world? I am not even Igbo but I love the Igbos very well because they love themselves and love to see people progress.

Park well biko.

amInigerian:

[size=13pt]You have misfired. I have lived in Aba before:
Come and eat in Igbo is "Bia rie ihe"

In central Igbo, ihe means "something"
You chose a dialectical version where they say "ife" instead of "ihe"

You obviously chose the version of Igbo where they say "ife" instead of "ihe" thinking that it would correspond with what "fi" stands for in Ibani.

You misfired there because you did not know that they would mean
two completely different things in the 2 languages

Whereas "ife" is a noun in Igbo referring to something tangible in general,
"fi" in Ibani is actually a verb which means to eat.[/size]

[size=18pt]Next...

"go" is "muu" in Ibani
How do they say it in Igbo?

"Cloth" is "bite" in Ibani

"Tell him to come" is "O beee boo" in Ibani

"Tell him to come so that we can start going" is "O beee boo wa mu" in Ibani

[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 7:04am On May 17, 2016
HopeAtHand:

And you are correct about it giving a bad impression and the need to consciously teach the language in the main town again.

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 7:09am On May 17, 2016
olaitoro:

infact ekiti yoruba and ijebu yoruba have variances that some folk still doubt if they are yoruba dialect.

[size=13pt]Go and sleep. This thread has served its purpose.
This is the only way to deal with Igbos - thrash hard. And with purpose
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by 96xtr6r: 7:13am On May 17, 2016
amInigerian:

[size=4pt]Go and sleep. This thread has served its purpose.
[/size]

Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly" - Albert Einstein

For the umpteenth time, leave Igbos out of your miseries and face OduaArewanistan republic where you're most needed as loyal, slavish subjects.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by HopeAtHand: 7:16am On May 17, 2016
amInigerian:

A Bonny man will not be lost in Brass. It is when you start going towards Sagbama, Ogbia etc, that the language starts changing more. I lived in Brass and Nembe myself when the two states were still one state. My dad communicated well with the Nember and Brass people. In fact, Kalabari, Bonny and Okrika wont be lost in Sagbama but the language varies more there and it gets harder to communicate. It gets even harder in Ogbia. It gets harder as you move further and further in that direction

It will easier for your parents and grand parents, but more difficult for you. cos everyday, each language keep transformimg itself. The type of ibani spoken some 200yrs ago will be slightly different from today and next 100yrs.

Even Bayelsa seem homogenous on the outside, but some of us know that there are dialectical divides. But Kolokuma remains the purest form of ijaw language.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by olaitoro(m): 8:09am On May 17, 2016
amInigerian:

[size=13pt]Go and sleep. This thread has served its purpose.
[/size]

you must be funny boy, which purpose has it served?
your ranting online doesn't stop bonny from being Igbo.
go to bonny and tell them that they are not Igbos and watch them beat you black and blue.

rufu here boy I don't have time for nonetities

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Wulfruna(f): 8:42am On May 17, 2016
I do not know when or if anyone said Ibani language is Igbo. Ibani language is Ijo, and I want to believe everyone knows that. What the op is confused about is a second language widely spoken on Bonny Island as well as Opobo which is the same as the kind of Igbo spoken in Ndoki, Abia.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 11:35am On May 17, 2016
olaitoro:

go to bonny and tell them that they are not Igbos and watch them beat you black and blue.

[size=13pt]You are the one they will beat black and blue.

Oya tell every body how they say "Tell him to come" in your language if you have liver.
In Ibani it is "O beee boo"

Inferior people telling inferior lies in the 21st century.
Bonny people that the white man had to pay taxes to in order to do business in their area.
Igbos that the white man had to create paramount chiefs for because they had something close to no leadership structure.
The only 2 main relationships Igbos have had with Bonny are:

1). They were bought as slaves by Bonny chiefs and sold to the white man. Some were granted freedom and allowed to live Bonny after accepting Bonny citizenship
2). Bonny men married Igbo women as wives.

In the first case, Bonny grace granted you your freedom in Bonny.
In the second case, is it the woman that marries the man into her place or the man that marries the woman into his place?

That is how you said Lagos is no man's land as a precursor to trying to say that in fact you built Lagos and therefore it is your land.
Every national thievery attempt of yours like this is a self-organized welcome ceremony on your part for the kind of reward that follows a man who tries to sleep with his father's wife.

What I am saying is, does this attract a blessing or a curse to you as an ethnic group or as a people, this decision to frontally embrace lying?

In any case, the world has seen all of you afraid to speak your very own language in public. So this is an epic fail on your part. The more you comment, the more you bring the topic to the front for people to see and analyze. So please mention me again. It will give me the opportunity to put up more facts here like the ones I have attached below.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 11:38am On May 17, 2016
Wulfruna:
I do not know when or if anyone said Ibani language is Igbo. Ibani language is Ijo, and I want to believe everyone knows that. What the op is confused about is a second language widely spoken on Bonny Island as well as Opobo which is the same as the kind of Igbo spoken in Ndoki, Abia.
My post is to show that Ibani is not Igbo. Some Igbos who did not know their left from their right before the white man came are now saying that one of the grandest (if not the grandest) ancient kingdom of Ijaw land before colonialism is actually them. Imagine the madness

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by amInigerian: 11:40am On May 17, 2016
olaitoro:

[size=18pt]

"Soup" is "Fulo" in Ibani

"go" is "muu" in Ibani

"Cloth" is "bite" in Ibani

"Tell him to come" is "O beee boo" in Ibani

"Tell him to come so that we can start going" is "O beee boo wa mu" in Ibani

If you have liver speak your language and say all these things I have written here, so the whole world can see
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 1:16pm On May 17, 2016
As an Ngwa man, I find this thread and the OP's crusade laughable.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by semitunde: 1:36pm On May 17, 2016
olaitoro:

There's no Yoruba dialect that is doubted, no matter how unintelligible. They are Yoruba, they feel Yoruba and proudly call themselves Yoruba.

It is those from outside who want some sense of attachment to the tribe that try to sniff into those areas.

I don't just stay in SW. I'M Yoruba, and one of the dialects you're mentioning there is a part of of my family.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by 96xtr6r: 2:28pm On May 17, 2016
semitunde:
There's no Yoruba dialect that is doubted, no matter how unintelligible. They are Yoruba, they feel Yoruba and proudly call themselves Yoruba.

It is those from outside who want some sense of attachment to the tribe that try to sniff into those areas.

I don't just stay in SW. I'M Yoruba, and one of the dialects you're mentioning there is a part of of my family.

Stop your unnecessary propaganda...

Be concerned about Ijebu people who said that they are not Yoruba.
Be worried also about Kabba, Okun, Egun in Badagry and Akoko that detest been termed Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by semitunde: 2:48pm On May 17, 2016
96xtr6r:

Stop your unnecessary propaganda...

Be concerned about Ijebu people who said that they are not Yoruba.
Be worried also about Kabba, Okun, Egun in Badagry and Akoko that detest been termed Yoruba.

Part of my family is also from Akoko. We are Yoruba. Don't misrepresent a tribe that is not yours with misinformation.

You know nothing about ijebus. You can never be in their shoes or feel the way they feel. Its a Yoruba thing. The best you can do is to learn from the culture and adapt to the way of life.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by 96xtr6r: 3:19pm On May 17, 2016
semitunde:
Part of my family is also from Akoko. We are Yoruba. Don't misrepresent a tribe that is not yours with misinformation.

You know nothing about ijebus. You can never be in their shoes or feel the way they feel. Its a Yoruba thing. The best you can do is to learn from the culture and adapt to the way of life.

That's the more reason you and your fellow Yorubas should have change of hearts and learn to mind your business.

That Ijebus sojourned from Sudan and many Yorubas like you castigate them should be your preoccupation and not looking for Igbos to blame.

You ought to be in the know that your half a century propaganda against Igbos is already boomeranging...

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by semitunde: 3:36pm On May 17, 2016
96xtr6r:

That's the more reason you and your fellow Yorubas should have change of hearts and learn to mind your business.

That Ijebus sojourned from Sudan and many Yorubas like you castigate them should be your preoccupation and not looking for Igbos to blame.

You ought to be in the know that your half a century propaganda against Igbos is already boomeranging...

You really should face your tribe and stay away from what you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by 96xtr6r: 4:21pm On May 17, 2016
semitunde:
You really should face your tribe and stay away from what you know nothing about.

Warn your fellow Yorubas to stop using lies and propaganda to drag some other ethnic groups along to be able to stand against the Igbo Nation while continually ass-licking your Hausa-Fulani masters.

It's not working anymore. Learn to stand alone.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by semitunde: 4:33pm On May 17, 2016
96xtr6r:

Warn your fellow Yorubas to stop using lies and propaganda to drag some other ethnic groups along to be ablessed to stand against the Igbo Nation while continually ass-licking your Hausa-Fulani masters.

It's not working anymore. Learn to stand alone.

smiley
I'm not in the mood nor have the time to school you on a few things about knowledge and its necessary acquisition. I see you're the new tribal troll, maybe you should learn from wiser folks amongst your kinsmen how to be a younger onijogbon brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by 96xtr6r: 4:45pm On May 17, 2016
semitunde:
smileyI'm not in the mood nor have the time to school you on a few things about knowledge and its necessary acquisition. I see you're the new tribal troll, maybe you should learn from wiser folks amongst your kinsmen how to be a younger onijogbon brother.

In case you're hard in learning, I repeat:
Warn your fellow Yorubas to stop using lies and propaganda to drag some other regions along while continually ass-licking your Hausa-Fulani masters just to be able to withstand Igbos.

It's pathetic already!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Ariani: 5:02pm On May 17, 2016
Coolscott at it again.

Anyway, no one ever said that Igbani is Igbo language.

We know Igbani as the minority language spoken in Bonny villages by Ijaw people there, and Ubani Igbo as the Igbo language spoken by Igbo descendants who inhabit mainly Bonny township.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Ariani: 5:09pm On May 17, 2016
Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Ariani: 5:14pm On May 17, 2016
Excerpt from memoirs of Hugh Crow (1765 – 1829), an English sea captain.

"The inhabitants of Bonny, when our author last visited that port, amounted to about 3,000. They are chiefly a mixture of the Eboe, or Heebo, and the Brass tribes; the latter deriving their name from the importation into their country, which lies to the northward and westward of Bonny, of a kind of European-made brass pans, . . .
It is probable (and this opinion entertained by Captain Adams and others) that Bonny, and the towns on the low line of the coast on either side of it were originally peopled from the Eboe country, and that before the commencement of the slave trade, if it then existed, the habitants employed themselves in the making of salt, . . .
The King of New Calabar (Kalabari) in the neighbourhood, and Pepple, king of Bonny, were both of Eboe descent, of which also are the mass of the native.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Ariani: 5:17pm On May 17, 2016
The story of Igbo presence in Bonny and Opobo being solely from slave trade is a lie from the pit of hell that can never survive the scrutiny of good research.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Ariani: 5:23pm On May 17, 2016
[b] From Nigeria LNGSix Project Environmental Study of the Sterile Zone, Nov 2003

"Also due to the negative influence of Ubani Igbo, on the use of Ibani language by Bonny people (Ubani Igbo is some form of Igbo dialect introduced partly as a result of trade relations in the hinterland with Igbos and also the influence of Igbo slaves in Bonny), NLNG has set out to save Ibani language from extinction. Key informants stated that with the influx of strangers on the Island, the Ubani Igbo and Pidgin English have relegated Ibani to the background. Therefore, NLNG in April 2002, started a pilot renaissance programme to teach a group of 100 children aged 4 – 12 years Ibani language. Incidentally, at the take off of the course, interested persons had more than doubled. However, at the time of this survey, information obtained from the NLNG community relations shows that attendance was gradually declining."

Chief A. T. Allison, secretary Bonny Chiefs Council is also highly disappointed at the general response to the study of the Ibani Dialect in Bonny. He agreed that introduction of the dialect into schools as a compulsory subject would help but regretted that the children would not get any encouragement from their parents at home. (Reason: They are not Ibani but Igbo)
He said, “The home of the children is where the crux of the problem lies, otherwise would have suggested that the adults be ignored a bit and greater emphasis laid on the children in the interest of future generations. Therefore, whatever advantage or encouragement is given to the children in the study of IBANI, should be redoubled and given to their parents if not, all efforts would prove fruitless”. The Ibo he said is now what he calls the Commercial Language of the Bonny man. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 18, 2016
amInigerian:

My post is to show that Ibani is not Igbo. Some Igbos who did not know their left from their right before the white man came are now saying that one of the grandest (if not the grandest) ancient kingdom of Ijaw land before colonialism is actually them. Imagine the madness
will you shut up ur rotten mouth up?
Aro Oke Igbo Confederacy influence shaked the whole lower Nigeria area before the white man came, so keep quiet.
who knows bonny?
I have noticed that many ijaws are suffering from an acute Igbophobia.
I have stayed around them before.
It was the white man that helped in creating ijaw tribe because you people are not ethnically related even the Kalabaris, Nembes,etc see themselves as a distinct tribe.
There is no central ijaw language unlike the Igbo and Yoruba language.
So change ur mentality and say no to tribalism.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Yoruba / The Most Beautiful Africans / An Ibo Woman Married To A Yoruba Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.