Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours (2792 Views)

Best Website in Lagos ?? / Show Us The Best Website Your Have Ever Seen. / Nigerians Say We Build The Best Website That Attracts Customers.what Do You Say? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Tiger007: 1:49pm On Aug 18, 2009
Drop your choice and the web designer's name:

http://lasgidient.com/  The best i have seen soo Far !! Big Ups to the Web Artists
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Borat1: 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2009
oops, wrong section
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 3:02pm On Aug 25, 2009
What makes this site the best you have seen so far? Even the top right corner says that "this is just a preview".

Sha, I like the aerial photo but that's about it. I clicked every link and again, other than the (cool-looking) background images, I don't see what makes this the best. Then again, I am pretty sure this is a publicity stunt tongue

What site would I deem the best? So far, none. Not even one of mine. Why? The year is far from over. I know you said "so far" but I insist that it is still too early, even for "so far".

Re-introduce this topic around october (less the marketing stunt) and I bet you will get more responses.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by lagoshost(m): 4:17pm On Aug 25, 2009
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Cactus(m): 4:21pm On Aug 25, 2009
Been thinking bout commenting on this ( http://lasgidient.com/)
This ain't the best I've ever seen
Nothing big for an epic miss
Just another page on my 20 inch screen

The background picture is too concerntrated which is cool in a way but the menu and content sort of dont match with the background.  personally speaking. I dont see the point of doing this in flash. Prolly trying to give it some splash. I believe all the effect used can be gotten from a javascript framework. I like control. I like to dominate my computer. I am the master. Computer is my slave.

I feel free today dont know why.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 6:10pm On Aug 25, 2009
Cactus, your rap skills is yet another thing you can take with u, shd u decide to relocate to Nigeria tongue
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by remoranger(m): 6:24pm On Aug 25, 2009
The work is refereshingly different.

but there is something missing,

you guys sure need the services of a UI developer

and the pink menu aint it.

BUT ON THE WHOLE. I MUST ADMIT I AM IMPRESSED, PROLLY WHEN THE FINAL WORK IS READY ITS GONNA BE BOMB?
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Cactus(m): 1:43am On Aug 26, 2009
@yawa

ah ah ah Actually, I do some creative writing. which are very good. Takes a lot of time to get something decent but. Still working on it gradually.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by gdi(m): 8:40am On Aug 26, 2009
well I saw the site, and am thinking - good, attractive, engaging, but, why 100% flash, i think this is 3years behind, today flash(100%) is more suited for apps, product showcase, not total site. Try reducing your dependence on flash and go Ajax, everything on that site could be done with ajax(any of the frame wroks will do) then use flash for some little tricks here and there. any way good site, keep flyin naija. smiley
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by badesemowo(m): 9:02am On Sep 01, 2009
well the lasgidi guys have some really nice stuff in their portfolio (http://gobbleabba.com/#/Portfolio(%20Move%20the%20Black%20Line%20for%20Complete%20Portfolio)).
Lasgidi is not my favourite from their portfolio.
For me ? I d say wait till the end of the year.

May be someone should consider creatiing a poll of some sort to do some voting.

Probably, create a new category : "Best Nigerian site of 2009.". Every one must submit a new thread for their project, screen shot and description of the project must be added or the post gets bounced.

Then a moderator creates a poll at the end of the year for the threads that have the most comments.

I would do it myself but I'm hardly on Nairaland. Seun consider it?
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Nobody: 5:44am On Sep 02, 2009
zat site does not need flash. You can achieve the same effects with libraries such as jQuery,Mootools, or even my own incomplete library sef.
But for now, i am tryin to cut down javascript depency in most of my new websites, and only use javascript sparingly.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by veetubes: 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2009
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 2:37pm On Sep 02, 2009
nice advert veetubes cool

This site wouldn't even make it on my "worst websites of 2009". Maybe "worst of the worst" but not "worst" angry
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by brian12: 7:07am On Sep 03, 2009
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by veetubes: 3:06pm On Sep 03, 2009
what do you think about my site
http://www.bestvalueshoppingmall.com/index.php
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 3:13pm On Sep 03, 2009
For my response, reference post #12 above smiley
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by mcfranc(m): 8:31pm On Sep 03, 2009
This one is a nigerian site. www.multimix-academy.com. i think i like it
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 8:44pm On Sep 03, 2009
mcfranc:
But would it qualify as the best site so far for 2009? I will let you be the judge tongue
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by good9ja: 5:03am On Sep 05, 2009
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by HNNRecruit: 10:27am On Sep 05, 2009
www.habitatnationwide.com

Definitely not the best but should rank amongst the top Nigerian sites.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 10:36am On Sep 05, 2009
wow! I didn't know oyibo attends kwasu tongue http://www.kwasu.edu.ng/portal/images/studentstudying1.jpg

Seriously though, I think we need to step back and ask for the criteria for judging. I still maintain that the original poster put up what he did for advertising purposes but playing Devil's advocate, letz assume it isn't so. Is criteria based on design/layout? If yes, so far, I am not impressed. I know Nigeria has better to offer. If no, and assuming it is functionality, again, I am not impressed. Again, I know Nigeria has better to offer.

Habitat website lost me with all those squares on the home page. I saw that and I immediately closed my tab.

To me criteria should be, at the least:
1) Home page load time
2) Layout/Design
3) Functionality (no broken links, forms work/validate well, etc)
4) A view source shows that the site is following web standards

Others feel free to chime in.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by veetubes: 12:04pm On Sep 05, 2009
yawa-ti-de i like the way you are handling this
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 05, 2009
Now now, that is yawa-ti-de for you. she will say it out: laud and clear!
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Cactus(m): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2009
I hereby declare that anybody that is doing any web design or other type of design work should definitely take a class or more in user interface design.

And I also recommend that before starting a website project go to google and type in "CSS GALLERIES". Spend some time going through different designs. It will be worth it. Even if you don't learn anything at least you know how to google.

The habitat site is kinda cool, I like the concept but the blue is just way too much. I know the triangle concept is nice but having it on all the state icons and other part of the site is simply excessive. This could be cleaner with a couple of hours.

And the other common thing you can find on some nigerian site is picture stretching. whats up with that? No need to stretch to fill space. It looks awful

I am working on a project. I hope I wont give up before it is finished. Spent days looking at designs and concepts. So I decided to use deviantart concept. I have gotten the page layout similar to theirs. I have also gotten a plugin or script for the left menu. Others may not look the same but getting close somewhat. ah ah ah ah ah.

BTW the girl at Kwasu, (yawa) http://www.kwasu.edu.ng/portal/images/studentstudying1.jpg
Pretty if she is not interracial, I would say from south east asia. looks like she got some Indian blood in her. She is Indian.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Cactus(m): 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2009
Whoa this is really funny. reading through this thread and scrolling down the page. At the bottom I saw a link to a thread that says "I QUIT NAIRALAND". I started laughing cos I know I did it long ago. But I guess I am back. thread link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-125029.0.html
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by yawatide(f): 4:44am On Sep 06, 2009
Cactus:
The issue with respect to user interface isn't the training cos centers are a plenty but the quality of the instructors at such centers. How did the instructors themselves get to teach? Through googling and downloading free ebooks or through experience? Are they teaching as a way to make ends meet or because they actually have a passion for it?

There was a PH-based web dev company site that I found via random googling. They had a page called "seminars" and it had a bunch of pictures of people being "taught". It looked more like a group of people at a wake-keeping: none of the students had a computer (they all had a pen and an exercise book), the instructor stood in front of the class and pointed at a projector (as opposed to getting his hands dirty with the students). The students were charged I think 25K

Those sets of pictures spoke volumes. I kept telling myself, "you can do way better than this". For starters, every student would have a computer. They would type as I type. Maybe someone told someone, as I didn't hesitate to send out the URL, cos shortly thereafter, the pictures were taken down.

I would probably charge 25K for 5 days of intense training. Then if you sign up for the 2nd week, you will be paired with other students and assigned a project to come up with/deliver within that week. You may not be a good designer but you will be a solid architect and code with web standards at the very least.

I am still figuring it out. Will keep you all posted.
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by Guly(m): 1:35pm On Sep 07, 2009
http://www.webstar.co.ke this is the best of the best , all those sites should be like this site classic interface
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by ugojamali(m): 10:49pm On Sep 19, 2009
http://www.dreammagicfx.com

How do you guys rate this?
Re: Best Website So Far 2009: Drop Yours by jaccyraj: 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help!!!! I Got This Mail In My E-mail Account. Please Advice / Powerful Webmaster Needed For Interswitch Intergrated Website / Urgent Help Needed With Joomla Database Transfer To Webserver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.