Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer (3683 Views)

Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 19, 2016
Just went out now to my garden to check my crops that I added NPK 15:10:10 fertilizer and to my disappointment, my almost a month cucumber plant is withering. Am so sad and sob[color=#990000][/color]er kiss embarassed cry cry
Please what could be the problem? The pictures below is before and after the fertilizer application.

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by ANIEXTY(m): 1:53pm On May 19, 2016
Wow nice
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by Austin234(m): 2:23pm On May 19, 2016
I guess u applied the fertilizer wrongly. I use fowl feaces in place of fertilizer and i see gud result. Sorry about ur lost
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by dragon2(m): 2:24pm On May 19, 2016
It looks like fertilizer burn.
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by dragon2(m): 2:30pm On May 19, 2016
What is Fertilizer Burn?
Simply put, fertilizer burn is a condition that results in the burning or scorching of plant foliage. Fertilizer
burn is the result of over fertilizing plants or applying fertilizer to wet foliage. Fertilizer contains salts,
which draw moisture out of plants. When you apply excess fertilizer to plants, the result is yellow or brown
discoloration and root damage.
Fertilizer burn symptoms may appear within a day or two, or it may take a couple of weeks if you use a
slow-release fertilizer. Symptoms include yellowing, browning and withering. In lawns, you may see white,
yellow or brown streaks that follow the pattern in which you applied the fertilize.

The good news is that fertilizer burn can be prevented. Here are some tips on preventing fertilizer burn on
plants:
Fertilize each plant according to its needs. You won’t get better results when you use more fertilizer,
and you run the risk of damaging or killing your plants.
Slow-release fertilizer reduces the chances of fertilizer burn of plants by releasing the salts into the
soil gradually rather than all at once.
Fertilizing your plants with compost eliminates the risk of fertilizer burn. Most plants thrive when fed
with a 1- to 2-inch layer of compost once or twice a year.
Plants are more susceptible to fertilizer burn during a drought because the fertilizer will become more
concentrated in the soil. Wait until moisture conditions improve.
Never fertilize wet lawns or allow fertilizer to come in contact with wet leaves.
Water deeply and thoroughly after applying granular fertilizer to rinse the fertilizer off the plants and
allow the salts to distribute themselves evenly in the soil.

www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/what-is-fertilizer-burn.htm
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by dragon2(m): 2:36pm On May 19, 2016
I would suggest you take out the fertiliser if you added much, soak deeply with water to restore the ionic and moisture balance and cross fingers.
My 2 kobo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 19, 2016
dragon2:
I would suggest you take out the fertiliser if you added much, soak deeply with water to restore the ionic and moisture balance and cross fingers.
My 2 kobo.
do you mean I should uproot the cucumber plant and wash it. Does the cucumber plant have any chance of survival?

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by organicfoods(m): 7:41am On May 20, 2016
Movingcoil:
do you mean I should uproot the cucumber plant and wash it. Does the cucumber plant have any chance of survival?
If you uproot them you will destroy them successfully. I am afraid though, some of the cucumbers has reached a point of no return. Your may get it wrong now but you now have a valuable experience about the nasty effects of using chemicals. Next time consider going organic, using aged chicken dropping with the soil before planting will save you much stress. Check the pix, it's all grown using chicken droppings.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by mimmmms(f): 9:38am On May 20, 2016
Yea age chicken droppings works wonders..these are grown with it...[quote author=organicfoods post=45789717]If you uproot them you will destroy them successfully. I am afraid though, some of the cucumbers has reached a point of no return. Your may get it wrong now but you now have a valuable experience about the nasty effects of using chemicals. Next time consider going organic, using aged chicken dropping with the soil before planting will save you much stress. Check the pix, it's all grown using chicken droppings.

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 20, 2016
organicfoods:
If you uproot them you will destroy them successfully. I am afraid though, some of the cucumbers has reached a point of no return. Your may get it wrong now but you now have a valuable experience about the nasty effects of using chemicals. Next time consider going organic, using aged chicken dropping with the soil before planting will save you much stress. Check the pix, it's all grown using chicken droppings.
thanks
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by chuqsbaron006: 2:53pm On May 20, 2016
Is a pity, hope you have found the solution to remedy the situation. Please I need cumber seeds for planning. Can anyone help on how to get them. I mean the hybrid varieties
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by OgeOnonuju(f): 10:51am On Sep 04, 2016
Movingcoil:
Just went out now to my garden to check my crops that I added NPK 15:10:10 fertilizer and to my disappointment, my almost a month cucumber plant is withering. Am so sad and sob[color=#990000][/color]er kiss embarassed cry cry
Please what could be the problem? The pictures below is before and after the fertilizer application.

Sorry about your loss.

The wisest thing to do is switch to Organic Fertilizer which is soil friendly, crop friendly, environment friendly and, above all, health friendly. Call 0809-590-6018 and order for Compost Plus Organic Fertilizer. Results visible within 4-6days.

Email: ogeononuju@gmail.com
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by Beboy23(m): 9:25pm On Sep 04, 2016
How do u apply the inorganic fertilizer?, people advice you to go orgain, organic is good and better because it cos no residual effect in our body, but let me ask a question do u known amount of poultry drop require for a plant cycle, the percentage of NPK in organic is low but u can still get 20:10:10 or15:15:15 percentage in inorganic, if u don't use the require percentage now it will look good and grow vegetatively, but what of the fruiting stage?, don't you no if your poultry drop is not property decomposed and properly incorporated to the soil the same thing will still happen?

Chech my profile let me teach you application of fertilizer

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by damoceile: 8:00am On Mar 04, 2020
Beboy23:
How do u apply the inorganic fertilizer?, people advice you to go orgain, organic is good and better because it cos no residual effect in our body, but let me ask a question do u known amount of poultry drop require for a plant cycle, the percentage of NPK in organic is low but u can still get 20:10:10 or15:15:15 percentage in inorganic, if u don't use the require percentage now it will look good and grow vegetatively, but what of the fruiting stage?, don't you no if your poultry drop is not property decomposed and properly incorporated to the soil the same thing will still happen?

Chech my profile let me teach you application of fertilizer

what's your WhatsApp digit sir
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by digitalwhiz: 8:16am On Mar 04, 2020
Please your whatsapp digit
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by abolaji62(m): 10:23am On Apr 15, 2020
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https:///LXK092QGXEvBkFAJe4wnUT ...... thanks for your patronize
Re: My Cucumber 1 Month Old Plant Is Withering After I Applied NPK Fertilizer by pasemma: 9:20pm On Apr 15, 2020
Hello please having problems with my cucumber, right after flowers set leaves start turning yellow and after two weeks it will all be dead.

I started with fertilizer same problem, I went with chicken manure, I added full palm of chicken manure under each plant whiles they are going, they seem to respond positively until when it's time for fruit to set, then leaves turn all yellow. I have changed field but still. What could be the cause.

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Take To Have A Crocodile Domesticated? / How About A Cassava Peeling And Washing That Actually Works? / Kulikuli In Bulk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.