Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today (19612 Views)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 19, 2016
#‎EdesonFlashBackNews‬ ** Today in History ** May 19., 1964 **

>> Nigerian Footballer, Samuel Okwaraji was Born, He Died at the Age of 25 <<

Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria. He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the University of Rome.[1] He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

Okwaraji had a career in Europe which included playing for NK Dinamo Zagreb, VfB Stuttgart and SSV Ulm 1846 while finishing his education in law. In his short stay with Dinamo Zagreb, Samuel scored 3 goals in a friendly game vs NK Budućnost Hodošan. The game was played on 30 April 1986, and Dinamo Zagreb won 12-0. Samuel's only official game for Dinamo in the Yugoslav First League was as a substitute on 18 May 1986 against FK Priština. The game was played at Maksimir stadium in Zagreb, the 29th round of 1985/86 season. Dinamo Zagreb won 4:3.

He made the Green Eagles squad in 1988 and at that year's African Nations Cup he scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the championship against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. He played along until the final match, where the Eagles lost to their perennial rivals Cameroon by a lone goal.

Okwaraji collapsed ten minutes from the end of a 1990 World Cup Qualifier against Angola in Lagos and died from congestive heart failure. An autopsy showed that the 25-year-old had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure. The sudden death was similar to that of Marc-Vivien Foé 14 years later.

Credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji

Posted by: www.Facebook.com/Endy.Edeson

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Tolexander: 3:38pm On May 19, 2016
Oh Okwaraji
Oh Okwaraji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Tan ba n gba boolu lorun
Ko o ge won lege ara.

Anytime I remember that your consolatory goal against India after the Indians had scored 99, i'm always happy.

57 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 19, 2016
hbd
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Yinkatolu: 6:52pm On May 19, 2016
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by sandraokosun: 6:53pm On May 19, 2016
is the lion story true?

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ALAYORMII: 6:54pm On May 19, 2016
I remember the stories we heard about this man

Samuel Okwaraji

99-1

India VS Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 19, 2016
cheesy eyaaaa. okwaraji, I remember how doz govt teachers use ya name take lie yakata for sec school... oh dear okwaraji. oh okwaraji.
lalasticlala shae u remember okwaraji? the guy d parents took to Italy cos of civil war? oh, oh, oh... okwaraji . okwaraji ..
the country u used to represent is down. so broke that they can't afford their presidential flight ...lai Muhammad will soon tell us that you are still alive, so don't b surprised wen u hear d news in your place of rest..... oh .okwaraji

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by hemartins(m): 6:55pm On May 19, 2016
He was a Legend.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Spanner4(m): 6:55pm On May 19, 2016
Not @all Forget those stories, he died of heart failure
A wonderful player

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by GistHub(m): 6:55pm On May 19, 2016
May he rest on in peace

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by GeniusDavid(m): 6:56pm On May 19, 2016
Tolexander:
Oh Okwaraji
Oh Okwaraji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Tan ba n gba boolu lorun
Ko o ge won lege ara.

Anytime I remember that your consolatory goal against India after the Indians had scored 99, i'm always happy.

That's just a hoax, it never happened undecided

8 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ngmgeek(m): 6:56pm On May 19, 2016
Patriotic and Selfless Player. RIP Sam!
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by twerky(f): 6:57pm On May 19, 2016
I watched d match on our open and close to den
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by hamzia(m): 6:57pm On May 19, 2016
it was just a myth.. it never happen like dat.... I use to believe dat story when I was little.... 99 -1
I beggi... we Don mature now

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ukehnonny: 6:58pm On May 19, 2016
Lol. 99- 1. did that really happen?
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duharee(f): 7:00pm On May 19, 2016
Okwaraji the great

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by wayodude(m): 7:01pm On May 19, 2016
I was only a little boy when this happened but I remember the event and the aftermath very well..

Okwaraji was a true hero of very rare breed. He died in action in the most unlikely of circumstances while wearing the green and white of his Country, in a bid to qualify us for our first ever World Cup.

We beat the hard fighting Angolans 1 nil on the day but it felt like we had lost 10 nil!

He just has to be honoured. But I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Continue to rest in peace.

5 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Trackango: 7:02pm On May 19, 2016
Continue to RIP
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by nonjebose(m): 7:03pm On May 19, 2016
I never knew that we share same birthday. Happy post humous birthday to him. May 19 is the day

8 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by nonjebose(m): 7:03pm On May 19, 2016
I never knew that we share same birthday. Happy post humous birthday to him. May 19 is the day

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by wilybebsy(m): 7:03pm On May 19, 2016
SO NO BE STONE KILL AM
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Akposkool(m): 7:05pm On May 19, 2016
Donariok:
cheesy eyaaaa. okwaraji, I remember how doz govt teachers use ya name take lie yakata for sec school... oh dear okwaraji. oh okwaraji.
lalasticlala shae u remember okwaraji? the guy d parents took to Italy cos of civil war? oh, oh, oh... okwaraji . okwaraji ..
the country u used to represent is down. so broke that they can't afford their presidential flight ...lai Muhammad will soon tell us that you are still alive, so don't b surprised wen u hear d news in your place of rest..... oh .okwaraji
receive sense

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by uchman80(m): 7:06pm On May 19, 2016
RIP Sam. You are still remembered
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by VcStunner(m): 7:09pm On May 19, 2016
I still remember how my eldest cousin dey use lie wipe my face tha year. Sote I carry Okwaraji matter for head everyday for primary sch back then.
Do you know Samuel okwaraji, the guy do Kem kem from Nigeria post reach India post fire shot, India goal keeper run. Na only him dey chest lion head, big stone and palm fruit bunch! Naso I take gather everybody round me one day, naim I see say people many so I throway one lie so.....

After I collect mega beat dah day till today I no dey lie give 2 people at once cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by johnsonjosbles(m): 7:12pm On May 19, 2016
Tolexander:
Oh Okwaraji
Oh Okwaraji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Tan ba n gba boolu lorun
Ko o ge won lege ara.

who tell you about india 99 goals, so u believe that? Lolz.
That is ilussion! Even if they r playing against Zero oponent, they can't score 90 goals,it takes how many munits to pass and play to goal post, calculate and the whole march is just 90min oh.

RIP to samuel

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Baroba(m): 7:13pm On May 19, 2016
Oliver de Coque payed him a great tribute in one of his song, a fantastic and selfless human being.. Thia guy sacrificed so much for Nigeria. RIP Sosochukwuma..

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 7:17pm On May 19, 2016
God please forgive me my sins and release thunder to blast my senseless "social Studies" Anty!

Kam mkpuru Obi gi zuru Ike na Ndokwa na aha Jesu Christi.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 19, 2016
You still remain one of naija funest to grace the green and white jersey....may the almighty God transfer the fame and greatness you missed through death to your family

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by vroom(m): 7:35pm On May 19, 2016
FrancisDiote:
You still remain one of naija funest to grace the green and white jersey....may the almighty God transfer the fame and greatness you missed through death to your family

Amennn
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Appareil(m): 7:36pm On May 19, 2016
Tolexander:
Oh Okwaraji
Oh Okwaraji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Tan ba n gba boolu lorun
Ko o ge won lege ara.

It means that you have been around for a while
Re: Samuel Okwaraji's 52nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today by kolexy(m): 7:39pm On May 19, 2016
Tolexander:
Oh Okwaraji
Oh Okwaraji
Iwo nikan lowo baba
Iwo nikan lowo mama
Tan ba n gba boolu lorun
Ko o ge won lege ara.

Haaahaaa....You sef don old ooo. Na General be that

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enyeama Will Return If We Qualify For World Cup – Rohr / Dates Revealed For Summer 2019 Transfer Window / Footballer Slumps, Dies During Training In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.