Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,701 members, 7,955,647 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:53 AM

Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria (838 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Tested & Trusted Cure For Sickle Cell Disease. / Sickle Cell Disease - 6 Crisis In 5weeks. Please Help Why?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 3:16pm On May 21, 2016
Please Nairalanders, is there any way one can get funds in the form of grant or loan to do sickle cell disease research here in Nigeria?......the research is geared towards finding a better pharmacologic agent that is better than Hydroxyurea for fetal hemoglobin induction for the management of Sickle Cell Disease (hydroxyurea is cytotoxic and only effective in about 50% of cases)....we will be using also a plant named Hymenocardia acida (the catechins fraction) and we will be doing a cell culture from PBMCs isolated from peripheral blood that will lead to generation of Erythroid Progenitor Stem Cells (EPSCs) .....the total funds for the research will cost about 2000usd and we are looking for a WAY to go about it...thank you

1 Like

Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by reyscrub(m): 7:01pm On May 21, 2016
Many might not understand your request and also many might think dat you are blabing.

The truth is dat many who are HBSS are daily crying of pain, panting of crisis and hoping for a talented messaih who shall one day discover a lasting cure and solution to this dreaded killer.

If you mean to thoroughly plung in the ocean of research for lasting solution, why not consult some agency especially research institutions in country to discourse to work with them and plead for financial support.

There are many synthetic and molecular drugs for treating dis ailment even dis most international effective nutrient drug called Dioscovite by Nigeria born Dr Agbai based in U.S.

Your own discovery can be a breaking through and prayer answering for many consigned ones.

Kindly source for fund carry out your research work
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 9:14pm On May 21, 2016
reyscrub:
Many might not understand your request and also many might think dat you are blabing.

The truth is dat many who are HBSS are daily crying of pain, panting of crisis and hoping for a talented messaih who shall one day discover a lasting cure and solution to this dreaded killer.

If you mean to thoroughly plung in the ocean of research for lasting solution, why not consult some agency especially research institutions in country to discourse to work with them and plead for financial support.

There are many synthetic and molecular drugs for treating dis ailment even dis most international effective nutrient drug called Dioscovite by Nigeria born Dr Agbai based in U.S.

Your own discovery can be a breaking through and prayer answering for many consigned ones.

Kindly source for fund carry out your research work

A disease with 180,000 deaths per year and with approximately 4 million sufferers in Nigeria alone is not to be taken lightly with.

Dear Nairalander, I have consulted several research institutes in Nigeria, they showed interest in the work but they insist that i buy the consumables for the research myself....they are only willing to assist with facilities and equipment

I also tried contacting several NGOs and even some Sickle Cell Foundations on the research but no response

I even went to the extent of trying to reach out to my state governor and some senators but no response

What are we trying to do here in simple terms?

Gene therapy for Sickle Cell Anemia Disease is still in its embryonic stage and also there is the fear of wrongful gene insertion into house keeping genes which can prove fatal

So the panacea may currently lie with what is called Fetal Hemoglobin Induction

Fetal Hemoglobin Induction in simple terms is trying to induce the production of the hemoglobin we all had as a fetus......which for people with HbSS...will make them not to fall sick and thus improve their clinical profile

For people with HbSS the genes responsible for the Fetal Hemoglobin (the gamma globin genes) begin to shut down after birth and thus the onset of crisis from about 6 months

So amelioration may lie in trying to switch on these genes back (upregulation) in order to improve the clinical profile of patients....thus currently there is a rush worldwide for pharmacologic agents that will be able to do this

Hydroxyurea is not that effective because it can only induce fetal hemoglobin to about 17% and we need about 32%

Dioscovite is basically KCN an antisickling agent
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 9:41pm On May 21, 2016
i can be able to fund the research myself if i get a job and am trusting GOD for that...am through with my academic year in my masters program and by GOD s grace came out tops in the faculty with a distinction but no help from the university either
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 1:30am On Aug 12, 2016
Is there any Philantropist out there who could help with this research? Would be very grateful....Thanks
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 7:49am On Aug 15, 2016
the research will cost $2000...this is the amount for the consumables...will be grateful if anyone could help in the purchase of the consumables...thank you
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by biosoftinc: 5:08pm On Aug 15, 2016
How can you be reached?
Re: Grant Or Loan To Do Sickle Cell Disease Research Here In Nigeria by kaima2015: 5:35pm On Aug 15, 2016
biosoftinc:
How can you be reached?
dear sir i can be reached through my email andico34@gmail.com or my number 09096693439...thanks

(1) (Reply)

The Joy Of Being A Doctor / Vitamin B6 Rich Foods And Benefits / Pls Recommend A Good Dermatologist in Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.