Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again (15166 Views)

Born Again Lady, Sylvia Eguonor, Shares Before & After Photos / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Born Again Lady Using Knife To Cut Her Tattooed Hand / Born Again Lady Uses Knife To Cut Her Tattooed Hand After Using Hot Iron (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by menxer: 10:02am On May 22, 2016
yamandegg:
When a baby is born, he becomes part of humanity. The baby has a life that allows them to be aware of and respond to their physical surroundings: parents, friends, food, neighbourhood, sun, wind etc. 

But when a person is born AGAIN, he receives ANOTHER life, this time allowing him to become part of God's spiritual family. The born again person now has a life that allows them to personally know and respond to God and the reason why God made that person. Literally, when a person is born again, an inner self or person, is born within them. 

Long story short: it's a spiritual Awakening/enlightenment.

It's not under the monopoly of any religion.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by charming1111(m): 10:06am On May 22, 2016
lol
Jinyjagz:
Wat abt Reborn again
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by sexylips6186: 10:07am On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:
I don born again over 50 times in two years, the thing sef don tire me. I go born again today, all these babes wey dey my street go just carry yansh kon camp person for house kon spoil my born again. Which kind life be this na. angry

Lolzz... U can only get born again once. The problem with u is dat u av not been able to renew ur mind, Rom 12:2.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Nobody: 10:10am On May 22, 2016
undecided

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by dabosuker(m): 10:13am On May 22, 2016
menxer:

Thank you bro for hitting the nail on the coconut head!!! grin...Its simply Spiritual Awakening !!! Its beyond Religion, Race, Culture, Club, Profession, Nationality,.......ITS HUMANITY AND NATURE

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by yinkeys(m): 10:13am On May 22, 2016
sexylips6186:

Lolzz... U can only get born again once. The problem with u is dat u av not been able to renew ur mind, Rom 12:2.
Big sis, I think the problem is tasting the forbidden fruit & never remaining the same. That thing just has a way of drawing one back away from PURITY.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by dabosuker(m): 10:14am On May 22, 2016
Virginsince1997:
undecided

Leave them let them keep SLEEPING cry

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Ademusiwa1: 10:16am On May 22, 2016
[size=28pt]
A
L
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by dannytoe(m): 10:20am On May 22, 2016
I am the way, the truth and life. no one come to the Father except through me...
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Cholls(m): 10:30am On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:
I don born again over 50 times in two years, the thing sef don tire me. I go born again today, all these babes wey dey my street go just carry yansh kon camp person for house kon spoil my born again. Which kind life be this na. angry

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Nobody: 10:40am On May 22, 2016
890Tzbaby:

lol. its a one time thing, you don't get born again over and over again.

If being born again is a one time thing does that mean I can no longer be redeemed? angry
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by sammhi(m): 10:49am On May 22, 2016
iliyande:
The term “born again” is one of the most used phrases among present-day Christians. Yet, if asked what the term born again means, most church members could not give a clear explanation. The importance of this subject is shown in what Jesus said, “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” (John 3:3). Jesus is saying that to be born again is to be saved. Being born again is the plan of salvation that Jesus authored at Calvary.

We've all probably heard the encounter between the pharisee Nicodemus and Jesus and the conversation they had about being born again. In John 3:3, Jesus tells Nicodemus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again[b] he cannot see the kingdom of God." It confused the scholar back then and it still confuses many today.

But sadly many Christians loosely throw around the concept and phrase, often losing the true essence of spiritual rebirth. Being born again can mean a lot of things to many people and many of the interpretations can be far from the truth. Here are three common ways that many Christians misunderstand being born again.

That being born again means being perfect

Often, believers think that when we are born into the faith as we receive Jesus into our lives that almost instantly all our vices, bad habits and problems will go away. God never says this and in fact tells us that coming into a relationship with Him is only the start of the journey.

2 Corinthians 3:18 says, "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." Progressively Jesus changes us into His image and likeness as He removes the occurrence of sin in our life.

That born again comes by confessing alone

Christianity is far from just being lip service. It is a faith that encompasses every part of our being. To say that "we're Christian" alone does not mean that we now live a life in Christ. Even Romans 10:9 tells us that "...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

More than just confessing with our mouths, we are to believe in our hearts, which will then result to a new way of life as we surrender to God and trust Him to do what's best for us. That's why it's called faith. In Matthew 7:21, Jesus emphasized, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

That we are born into a religion

Being born again does not just result simply to becoming a member of a church organization or being born into an earthly alliance. When we are born again, we are born into both a relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ and then consequently added to the fellowship of saints. It has very little to do with ritual and tradition and has everything to do with love and intimacy.

The truth is that you do not allow anything to turn you aside from this truth: you must be born again. If you haven’t as yet, you should do so today
you told us what it is NOT but you didn't tell us WHAT IT Is to be born again
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by sammhi(m): 10:57am On May 22, 2016
Virginsince1997:
undecided
God made us with faculty of reasoning..we are not robots...a human program is made not to think...humans have the ability to think....
you can decide to eat rice or beans or salad or a combination...animals don't even have such ability...don't blame God for your wicked deeds , u wanted to do that you wish to do..
God created Man in his image... That is with ability to create , love, judge and use of power. You can decide to do odawise...that is why some hardened criminals can repent and become normal abandoning their old ways...
God won't intervene in your actions as your actions will reveal who you really are....if you want to Kill or commit murder, God won't stop u, so it can be known you are a murderer ..period

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by iliyande(m): 11:02am On May 22, 2016
sammhi:

you told us what it is NOT but you didn't tell us WHAT IT Is to be born again

Next topic sir
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by sunshine1974(m): 11:02am On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:
u wan burst my belle with laughter......kai, I'm still laughing grin
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by MrDavidson: 11:57am On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:

If being born again is a one time thing does that mean I can no longer be redeemed? angry

Of course you can, but you don't intentionally go into sin and plan to repent later.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by ArcToyin(m): 12:40pm On May 22, 2016
iliyande:
The term “born again” is one of the most used phrases among present-day Christians. Yet, if asked what the term born again means, most church members could not give a clear explanation. The importance of this subject is shown in what Jesus said, “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” (John 3:3). Jesus is saying that to be born again is to be saved. Being born again is the plan of salvation that Jesus authored at Calvary.

We've all probably heard the encounter between the pharisee Nicodemus and Jesus and the conversation they had about being born again. In John 3:3, Jesus tells Nicodemus, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again[b] he cannot see the kingdom of God." It confused the scholar back then and it still confuses many today.

But sadly many Christians loosely throw around the concept and phrase, often losing the true essence of spiritual rebirth. Being born again can mean a lot of things to many people and many of the interpretations can be far from the truth. Here are three common ways that many Christians misunderstand being born again.

Often, believers think that when we are born into the faith as we receive Jesus into our lives that almost instantly all our vices, bad habits and problems will go away. God never says this and in fact tells us that coming into a relationship with Him is only the start of the journey.

2 Corinthians 3:18 says, "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." Progressively Jesus changes us into His image and likeness as He removes the occurrence of sin in our life.

Christianity is far from just being lip service. It is a faith that encompasses every part of our being. To say that "we're Christian" alone does not mean that we now live a life in Christ. Even Romans 10:9 tells us that "...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

More than just confessing with our mouths, we are to believe in our hearts, which will then result to a new way of life as we surrender to God and trust Him to do what's best for us. That's why it's called faith. In Matthew 7:21, Jesus emphasized, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Being born again does not just result simply to becoming a member of a church organization or being born into an earthly alliance. When we are born again, we are born into both a relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ and then consequently added to the fellowship of saints. It has very little to do with ritual and tradition and has everything to do with love and intimacy.

The truth is that you do not allow anything to turn you aside from this truth: you must be born again. If you haven’t as yet, you should do so today
You nail it
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by ArcToyin(m): 12:47pm On May 22, 2016
[quote author=Cholls post=45856745][/quote] That is where Holy spirit is needed. Invite Him and He will help Romans 8:26
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by ifenes(m): 12:49pm On May 22, 2016
dannytoe:
I am the way, the truth and life. no one come to the Father except through me...

That Phrase means be like me,do as I do,love as I love. It has nothing to do with worshiping Jesus
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by ifenes(m): 12:52pm On May 22, 2016
sammhi:

God made us with faculty of reasoning..we are not robots...a human program is made not to think...humans have the ability to think....
you can decide to eat rice or beans or salad or a combination...animals don't even have such ability...don't blame God for your wicked deeds , u wanted to do that you wish to do..
God created Man in his image... That is with ability to create , love, judge and use of power. You can decide to do odawise...that is why some hardened criminals can repent and become normal abandoning their old ways...
God won't intervene in your actions as your actions will reveal who you really are....if you want to Kill or commit murder, God won't stop u, so it can be known you are a murderer ..period

The gods not God. And the story of the image is a symbol of intelligence. Meaning we are as intelligent as the gods themselves. Being born again is reaching that level as the gods/whatever you call them.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by omitusaf(m): 1:04pm On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:
I don born again over 50 times in the last two years, the thing sef don tire me. I go born again today, all these babes wey dey my street go just carry yansh kon camp person for house kon spoil my born again. Which kind life be this na. angry

Jesus came to die for us, that we will not live aain in sin. What you need is discipleship. Do you belong to a local church where the truth of God's word is being taught? Do you really desire to be established in Christ? Is there a trusted Christian around you who can help you. I'll be praying for you.

Omitusaf (07032936474, omitusaf@gmail.com, omitusaf.)
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:

you are already redeemed. if one sins all he/she needs to do is obtain forgiveness from God.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by professore(m): 1:18pm On May 22, 2016
The first point is especially lovely,progressively we will become like Christ.

The second point is also very important because it is one thing to confess with the mouth and it is another thing to believe in the heart.

Then the third,it is not about the church building and walls (of course u should attend church programmes) but it is more of knowing what Jesus likes and what Jesus expects of u and doing those things.

Note: u become born again by confessing Jesus as ur lord and saviour and believe in ur heart that Jesus is the son of God sent to save the world (not to condemn the world) and leave the rest to the Holy Ghost,he will complete ur salvation.

Glory be to God in the highest.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by tosinjay(m): 1:18pm On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:
I don born again over 50 times in the last two years, the thing sef don tire me. I go born again today, all these babes wey dey my street go just carry yansh kon camp person for house kon spoil my born again. Which kind life be this na. angry
There's what they call "reconciliation with God", you can reconcile, rededicate yourself and get right with God.

But being born again comes with certain understanding before making the decision. Depending on the circumstances that made you make that decision. Even if you having been saying the words, the understanding that transforms to belief might be missing, and at such you might have never been born again in the first place.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Ademusiwa1: 1:22pm On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:

I read your comment, been born again does not mean , a man can't have many wives.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by omitusaf(m): 1:23pm On May 22, 2016
menxer:

Jesus is the only way to eternal life. No other religion or way can lead to life. Many people will bite their fingers in regret at the last day because thry refused to believe in the One God has sent. No one has ever laid down his life for another to be saved from eternal destruction. Jesus, because of His love, redeemed mankind from sin by dying in their place. He bore the punishment meant for you and I so that we will not be destroyed as a result of our sin. Think about this. It is love that made Him do this. And it is love that made Him call us to accept this gift of life in Christ.
[Url=http://www.wheatlandbiblechapel.org/salvation-32/p-alignleftfont-color000000preacher-of-the-old-school-6437] The Preacher of the Old School[/url]

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Ademusiwa1: 1:24pm On May 22, 2016
LastMumu:

I [size=28pt]i read your comment, been born again does not mean a man can't have many wives
Or that you can't live a normal life
[/size]
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by dannytoe(m): 1:37pm On May 22, 2016
ifenes:

That Phrase means be like me,do as I do,love as I love. It has nothing to do with worshiping Jesus
have you read it in the Bible before?
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by faites(f): 1:37pm On May 22, 2016
CharlieMaria:
Being born again simply means BAPTISM.

This is definitely not true. A misconception it is. Being born again entails more that that. U have to confess, accept before baptism.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by pressplay411(m): 1:42pm On May 22, 2016
Being reborn is just simply having a different perception of life guided by a new faith.
If your perception is shaped by a newly found religion, good. If it's by some other ideology fin, as long as you find a change of perception that inspires and empowers you, that's really all that matters.
I don't believe in discrimination.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by faites(f): 1:43pm On May 22, 2016
iliyande:

Thanks for throwing more light on this. I used to think being bore again entails perfection, and I feel wretched when I don't seem to measure up to those laid down standards on a daily basis.

But I have a question. Is it then not possible for one to attain perfection at a point in life? We can't always be babe's fed with milk.
Re: 3 Ways We Misunderstand Being Born Again by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 22, 2016
being born again is being born of God. John 1.13

it is God, through the Holy Spirit, raising man from spiritual death and giving him spiritual life John 3; eternal life John 17:2,3. which leads to a true knowledge of the one true God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Man is born dead in trespasses and sins (Ephesians 2) because of the sin of Adam (Romans 5:12-21), all men inherited a sin nature which leads them all to hate God and break his commandments, even from a very tender age, as you will notice in children (Romans 3).

There is no one righteous, and all stand condemned under the justice of God because the wages of sin is death.

But God, for His own glory and His great love for mankind, sent His Son into the world, to live under the law, and keep the Law perfectly. He also died on the cross bearing the wrath of God for all those who genuinely put their faith in Him for salvation (Isaiah 53.) It pleased the Lord to crush him and put him to grief for all the sins, past, present, and future of all those who would believe in him.

After 3 days, he was raised from the dead as proof to all men that God has accepted His sacrifice as payment for the sins of every one who puts their trust in him. Acts 17:31.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This resurrected Lord ascended into Heaven, where He calls all men to turn from their sins and believe the gospel.

This is the scandalous, offensive message, that God said is the only power of God for salvation to everyone who believes (Romans 1:16)

That man is justified based solely on what Christ did in His life on earth (Christ's perfect righteousness which is imputed into the believer) and in his death on the cross (Him bearing the wrath of God against all the believer's sins).

Man is not justified because of his obedience to the law, as we have already seen, all have sinned and fallen short of it. It is the message that Paul and all the Apostles preached. (1 Corinth 2:2, acts 4:10)

The moslems hate it because they want to offer their good works and deny Christ, the catholics hate it because they trust in their works as well, the Mormons hate it, the JWs hate it, denying the deity of Christ, the Pentecostals hate it because they preach a Jesus who wants to give you big houses and luxury cars, and perfect health, and so miss the entire message of the cross. Even the religious Jews during the time of Christ hated it because they were trusting in their own righteousness. It's the reason why Christ and his Apostles were persecuted and killed. It is the reason true Christians are hated in the world today (John 7:7, John 15:19, 1 John 3:13)

But it is in this same gospel that man's only hope of salvation lies.

When a man does understand his vileness before God and his total inability to keep Gods law perfectly, and is given spiritual sight to see and understand what God has done for him, through His Son, saving him from eternal condemnation, in that process, He is born again, raised from spiritual death to spiritual life. And this spiritual life culminates into eternity, when he is called home or when Christ returns to judge all men (Acts 17:31)

It is what most of Christ's miracles were pointing to.

The man born blind in John 9, is representative of a natural man born into this world with spiritual blindness, and when he gets to hear the gospel and repents of his sins, he is given spiritual sight to behold the one true and living God.

when Lazarus was raised from the dead, that is also representative of how natural man is born into this world, though with physical life, but spiritually dead. and when Christ does save him, he is given spiritual life.

The gospel is indeed an offensive, scandalous message, but it is the only message when truly preached, exalting Christ and humbling the pride of men, that leads men to be born again and have them fix their eyes on Christ alone for their salvation.

Come to Christ, He really is able to save you from the guilt and power of your sins and give you eternal life.
Why will you perish when a Savior has been given to you?

I would add that when a man comes to Christ and has truly been born again, He is given the gift of the Holy Spirit. He begins to bear fruit, keeping the commandments of Christ revealed in His word. There will be occasional falls as He grows daily, but there will also be growing victory over sin, and a growing love for Christ and His people.

He won't be perfectly sinless in this life, and so, in all his obedience to Christ from the day of His conversion to the day he departs this world, His only boast would still be in the finished work of Christ on the cross and not in his performance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Bible Characters Of Great Faith / What Is The Essence Of Judgement Day When God Already Knows Our Heart? / 5 Godly Ways To Enjoy Yourself As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.