Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,110 members, 7,835,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin (68976 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Elebiju: 12:30pm On May 22, 2016
crixtex:

My guy u have to leave catholic and learn TRUE christianity.... I ll suggest deeper life or Chosen to you...
Chosen? That church where the pastor is looking nice and the members live in poverty with aprons.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by ArcToyin(m): 12:31pm On May 22, 2016
greatness22:
Thank God my church is on the list. (winners)

What about Church of God Mission and Assemblies Of God church?

I see no reason for appreciation cos it might not be welcomed by God.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Elebiju: 12:32pm On May 22, 2016
hefelove:

instrumental kini? for cele? abegii. CAC over cele on instrument. U'll hardly see Cele churches using Violin, Viola, Clarinet, Trobone apart frm normal guiter trumpet drum keyboard and gangan am soo sure of dis
you're definitely a learner, come to my parish then maybe you will acknowledge your ignorance of celestial churches.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by 1Emmy: 12:35pm On May 22, 2016
The op made a good write up. I bet many people that are insulting the guy can not even give 4o% history of churches and it's origin.
Some are annoyed because their churches were not mentioned.
The Op started by saying 10 MOST POPULAR churches.
Apart from that we still know that there are other popular churches. So I don't see any good reason for insulting the op.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by misscall247: 12:37pm On May 22, 2016
nedufantasy:
Christianity in Nigeria have evolved within a short period of time that it was brought to us by the Europeans through the work of the missionaries.
Here we take a look at some of the popular churches in Nigeria and their origins,if your church is not listed here that doesn't mean its not popular in Nigeria.This list is all for the Glory of God.

1. ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
The Roman Catholic Church traces its history to Jesus Christ and the Apostles. The first bishop of the church is the bishop of Rome also known as the Pope Saint Peter who was appointed by Jesus Christ to be the head of the church in the New Testament. Catholic Church is also the only church in the world to has its own state in the name of Vatican. The church came to Nigeria in 1885.

2. ANGLICAN CHURCH
The name “ANGLICAN” means “Of England”, but although Anglican Church is seen everywhere in the world. The history of the church is traced back to the sixth century in England, when Pope Gregory the Great sent St Augustine to Britain to organize a more centralized and disciplined apostolic succession to the Celtic Christians. The Anglican Church evolved as part of the Roman Church. It spread worldwide first through Great Britain’s colonization and through English speaking missionaries. Its history in Nigeria dates to 1842.

3. DEEPER LIFE
This church is a non-denominational Christian with its headquarters in Lagos. The General Overseer is Pastor William Kumuyi. It is a holiness Pentecostal church with an emphasis on holy living. In 1973, while lecturing at University of Lagos, Kumuyi started a bible study group with 15 university students. William Kumuyi a former Anglican later joined the Apostolic faith church. In 1975 he was expelled from the church for preaching without credentials. He continued his independent ministry, which in 1982 culminated into Deeper Life Bible Church.

4. JEHOVAH WITNESS
The founder of the Jehovahs witness is Charles Taze Russell, a former haberdasher who founded the International Bible students Association in Pennyslvania in 1872. Russells various publications in 1879 led scores of congregation to form in nearby states. According to the Jehovah witnesses, there is one God and they have insisted he be called Jehovah. They condemn the Trinity as pagan, idolatory and accordingly deny Christ Divinity. Russell even claimed that the Trinity was the idea of the Satan. Ironically, when they baptize, they use the formula “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy spirit”.

5. CHRIST EMBASSY
Christ Embassy also known as Believers Love World is a mega church founded by Pastor Chris Oyakhlimo in 1990. The formation of the church started in the University of Benin when Pastor Chris was leading a prayer group at the campus. The foundation of the church dates to 1990 in Lagos. The church has churches in many countries of today, having over millions of members.

6. REDEEMED CHURCH
The Redeemed Christian church of God is a church founded in 1952 by Rev Josiah Olufemi Akindayomi. Pastor Enoch Adeboye, a lecturer in Mathematics department at the University of Lagos, who joined the church in 1973 was chosen by Pastor Akindeyomi after he had been involved in several other churches. Adeboye initially became one of the interpreters translating Akindayomi’s sermons from Yoruba to English. He was ordained a pastor of the church in 1975, and his appointment as leaders of the church was formalized by the posthumous reading of Akindayomi’s sealed pronouncement.

7. METHODIST CHURCH
Methodism is a group of historically related denominations of protestant Christianity which gained their inspiration from the life and teachings of John Wesley. Methodist movement spread throughout the British empire, the United states and beyond claiming million believers in the world of today. The church came into Nigeria in 1842.

8. WINNERS CHAPEL
It’s a mega church founded by Bishop David Oyedepo in 1981. The origin of the church can be traced back to May 1981 when Oyedepo had an 18-hour vision from God. In this vision God spoke to liberate the world from all oppressions of the Devil, through the preaching of the word of faith, and I am sending you to undertake this task. Two years later the church was formed with four members.

9. BAPTIST CHURCH
Baptist came into existence in England in the early 17th century. It apparently emerged out of the puritan separatist movement in the church of England. Although there are many account to the origin of the church. Another view has it that the church emanated in Amsterdam back in 1609, with English separatist John Smith as its Pastor. The history in Nigeria is traced back to 1850.

10. LORDS CHOSEN
The founder and General overseer of The Lords Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement is Pastor Lazarus Muoka. Born into a catholic family in Mgbidi in Imo state. In 1975, he moved to Lagos and worked for sometime under a company before starting up his own business. Muoka claimed to have had many dreams from God. In 1994 prompting him to pull out of his former church and set up the Lords Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement. The church which started with few people has gone to become one of the most popular churches in Nigeria.

Source:http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/05/10-popular-churches-in-nigeria-and.html
lol.....I know u will not know the ORIGIN of assemblies of God church.
You 4just win$1000 from me Op
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by OlujobaSamuel: 12:39pm On May 22, 2016
op, the oldest Pentecostal church in Nigeria is Faith tabernacle, it was in form of a group, this group gave birth to TAC through the holy spirit, that is, no single individual started TAC, TAC gave birth to CAC through Apostle Babalola while on a missionary work, he came back to declare that he is called to form a ministry which he was permitted to and still celebrated till date, his colleagues were Samuel Adegboyega, Baba Sapko et al, Assemblies of God Church broke out of TAC after a brief rancor, although later resolved but things could not move on.
The first clergyman to become a king was Pastor Akinyele of TAC as the Olubadan of Ibadan, there was a prophetic word before then, people never took note, only few did, so when it was time for fulfilment, there was issue as to a pastor becoming a king, some pastors broke away but it was later resolved, I think it was part of the issue that gave birth to Assemblies.
kindly get ABOUT TAC by S. S. Jemigbon.
Will talk about healing without medicine some other time, world war gave birth to that.
How was our service today?
may we all witness and be participants of the trumpet call.
Proudly GLORIOUS VISION.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 22, 2016
Elebiju:
Chosen? That church where the pastor is looking nice and the members live in poverty with aprons.

Who told you members wallow in poverty? ? Dont say what u know not....
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by paveinc(m): 12:42pm On May 22, 2016
SOME PPLE GET COMPREHENSION PROBLEM.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 22, 2016
kevoh:
Ten popular christian churches. One so called heaven with all ten claiming sole ownership to the proper way to make this heaven and how to be a TRUE CHRISTIAN. Just check the comment below.

Yet the same Deeper life that he called true christian will rather die than marry his ''fellow true christian'' at Chosen. Jehovah witness will rather die than be led at prayer session or have a prayer session with other true christian denomination. Even within a particular church in simple matters like leadership, there's chaos. Remember Assemblies of God brouhaha? Confusion everywhere! SMH undecided

Lolsss...
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Klington: 12:46pm On May 22, 2016
[wot of ZOE ministry n rev king church abi dem no popular reach? cheesy[
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by oluxy(m): 12:57pm On May 22, 2016
U re egocentric in ur writing. Go back and do ur research very well. Where do u keep CCC, C&S, catholic, protestant etc.

Afta Una go dey course APC..

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by icybeth(m): 12:59pm On May 22, 2016
Peter died in arab country and probably buried them.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by icybeth(m): 1:08pm On May 22, 2016
Jovahah Witenes is as old as d world found by God whose name is Johovah(ps 83:18). Abraham was d first witness

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by sunnyphem(m): 1:19pm On May 22, 2016
See yeye person hoo.... You dontt think b4 you post anything.... Why you dont mention CAC, C&S, baptist.... You they sleep wen you write this... Or na copied and paste!
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by omotroyz(m): 1:27pm On May 22, 2016
Godgay:
what are u babbling about,Nigeria is ranked 7th on the countries with most christains,behind USa,Brazil Russia $co.which land did the Europeans take in Nigeria?
that statement is a statement full with wisdom. It is well
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by daveP(m): 1:46pm On May 22, 2016
hehhehehhe

even if twill be chasing the wind for countering the list, the list is still very incorrect and incomplete.

Cac, AG, C&s, Mfm??

Modified

ahhhh cheesy see people putting claims to verify and stamp their ideologies. smh.

How did Christ Institute the RCC?

How was Abraham given the tag 'the 1st witness'?

The Fixer's Syndrome.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by benji93: 1:48pm On May 22, 2016
hot9jaman:
you said it all. Catholic church the only church that can be trace to the bible.
There is only one church.
I am proud to be a Catholic.
are you ok, catholic is the only church that can be traced to the bible!!! how do you mean
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by pressplay411(m): 1:50pm On May 22, 2016
This OP has written from a very myopic and POV. You need to read more and be exposed. Obviously bias is also a major factor in your piece.
Where do you worship, if I may ask Catholic or Chosen, perhaps?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by oluwafemim(m): 1:55pm On May 22, 2016
YOUR FINDINGS MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT,MOUNTAIN OF FIRE AND MIRACLES MINISTRIES HAS THE LARGEST CONGREGATION IN AFRICA AT A SUNDAY SITTING SERVICE.

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Gombs(m): 1:55pm On May 22, 2016
Christ Embassy didn't start in 1990
Pastor Chris never studied in UniBen
Thanks you
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by benji93: 1:57pm On May 22, 2016
masseratti:
they dont clap in cele, for your info they have the best musical choirs and instrumentalist, most of the instrumentalist you see in other churches have cele background.
tnk God you corrected that notion, why would any educated person form an opinion without getting well enlightened

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by benji93: 1:59pm On May 22, 2016
So OP, i would like to know, what is the essence of this post?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by DrayZee: 2:00pm On May 22, 2016
JesusEmpire:

[size=28pt]Jesus empire ministry, founders ademusiwa
[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3743102_tiwasavage_jpegadf0feabb4431f0e0f129bb310238efe
What is Tiwa Savage's business with your church?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by banky222: 2:00pm On May 22, 2016
greatness22:
Thank God my church is on the list. (winners)

What about Church of God Mission and Assemblies Of God church?
Help me ask
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by beejaymoore(m): 2:02pm On May 22, 2016
I wonder what the competition is all about.. The Op picked his top 10 list.., The Op didn't draw up a list of d churches going to heaven or not undecided grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by DrayZee: 2:03pm On May 22, 2016
Zico5:
This is what u get when somebody that knows nothing about churches in Nigeria just pick up the phone and start typing rubbish. Denominations like Christ embassy, lord chosen and those small ones u mentioned are not big but one man churches. Where is CAC, assembly of God, celestial church of Christ, cherubim and sheraphim etc.
He typed "10 Popular Churches in Nigeria ", not the 10 most popular in the world. Calm down and read.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by benji93: 2:07pm On May 22, 2016
Elebiju:
you're definitely a learner, come to my parish then maybe you will acknowledge your ignorance of celestial churches.
I beg just leave this guys jare, they do not realize this is one of cele's message to the world, music, this is where you see members mastering every damn instrument to the highest level without visiting any music school. Spirit-inspired, i call that.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by donephi(m): 2:08pm On May 22, 2016
linearity:
Two things still surprises me:

1. Why is Deeper Life Bible Church still been referred to as 'non denominational'? Yes, it started that way, where original members belong to various denominations and only come together weekly for Bible studies, but it is now a full denominational church.

2. Why is Christ Embassy called 'Believers love world'? [b]When Christ himself have commanded believers not to love the world nor the things thereof and that, we are not of the world? [/b]He even went further to proclaim that, Satan is the ruller of this world and that, it will be destroyed for the establishment of the new heavens and the new earth. And non of those pronouncements were symbolic or figurative. The name seems to contradict the Bible, anyone who knows the origin of that name should shed some light.
believers love world simply means a world where LOVE is the currency, in other words been your brothers keeper
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by shumax: 2:13pm On May 22, 2016
Pita99:
you smoke weed, where is ECWA and COCIN?
I wonder ??/
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by stephinnoyewole(m): 2:14pm On May 22, 2016
Presidentseyi:
CAC,TAC,CC,C&S IS NT INCLUDE Y
Op doesn't knw anytin abt religion in Nigeria
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by stephinnoyewole(m): 2:18pm On May 22, 2016
timilehing:
CAC, CCC, Assemblies of God & C&S are not on this list but Christ embassy & Chosen made the list undecided. I don't understand how you come about this but this is totally ......... without criteria. No credibility
#gbam
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by stephinnoyewole(m): 2:26pm On May 22, 2016
LasoulMacuby:
This one u see CAC - cooperate affairs commission
Anoda zombie in d corner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Èjì Ogbè (baba Ifa) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.