Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,401 members, 7,830,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin (68912 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by DangotePikin: 2:26pm On May 22, 2016
greatness22:
Thank God my church is on the list. (winners)

What about Church of God Mission and Assemblies Of God church?
from Glory to Glory...
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:34pm On May 22, 2016
[quote author
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:34pm On May 22, 2016
Manseydour:

You are a big SCAM, lord's chosen, Anglican, winner's and redeem ke.. In the absence of c&s, ccc and cac

While not supporting the OP I will like to point out that winners is more popular than those mentioned church beyond the south West.. You can’t compare c&s or ccc with winners anywhere in the ss or se including north central
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by kinmayor(m): 2:40pm On May 22, 2016
Billiondoe:
Your List is not credible man. Where the did you put Christ Apostolic Church ? Most of these churches including Deeper Life started from CAC before they left to start their own churches. I can categorically state that most of the General Overseers of these modern day churches you listed were born into the Apostolic Church. Deeper Life, MFM and the likes, have doctrines very similar to the Apostolic Faith. That number 10 shouldn't be on that list only if you are a member of the church. Go back to the drawing board and do your research well. Go and learn history instead of listing churches and going on Google to define their existence. My one dollar comment.

If you don't know nothing, I'll tell you something. Christ Apostolic Church is the first Aladura Pentecostal Church present in Nigeria and other countries, It has come into existence in the first half of the 20th century, in the then-British empireIts growth was led by Joseph Ayo Babalola, a road construction driver who became its founder. The revival led by Babalola resulted in thousands burning their traditional fetishes. This disturbed the colonial authorities, and allegations included witch-hunting and opposition to hospitals and medicine. Babalola was arrested and jailed.. It was formally established in 1941.
. what about Cherubim and Seraphim Church that started in 1925?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:41pm On May 22, 2016
oluwafemim:
YOUR FINDINGS MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT,MOUNTAIN OF FIRE AND MIRACLES MINISTRIES HAS THE LARGEST CONGREGATION IN AFRICA AT A SUNDAY SITTING SERVICE.

What's the aggregate population size like on Sunday at the headquarters?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by stephinnoyewole(m): 2:42pm On May 22, 2016
delait:
Faith tabernacle congregation found by Charles A Rainet from Philadelphia. Headquarter in Nigeria at 119 Azikiwe Road. With branches all over Nigeria, Sururlere,Apapa,Eba estate,Ejigbo.infact history has it that Christ Apostolic church and Apostolic Faith broke away from Faith Tabernacle Congregation.
Do u knw wat ure saying?
Do u even knw d founder of CAC?
Apostle J.A Babalola was formerly Anglican, so where comes ur info?
Research b4 u spit ur jagz here kiss

Proves might change my orientation tho, no1 is Mr.knw all sad
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:49pm On May 22, 2016
Youngzedd:

I wonder Ooo.

He Christ and Peter founded no church before death.

OK. But the apostles were always writing to different churches in Antioch, Corinth and the rest... Not catholic church. Addresses to the church at
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:50pm On May 22, 2016
drealzum:
Your list is filled with pentecostal churches. There are many churches in the north older than what you have mentioned. COCIN church was founded 1904 by karl kumn,I doubt if any pentecostal church is as old as that in nigeria

Popular not oldest
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 2:59pm On May 22, 2016
hot9jaman:
you said it all. Catholic church the only church that can be trace to the bible.
There is only one church.
I am proud to be a Catholic.

The book of the bible, chapter and verse will do your statement a great deal of good.... Otherwise I will Let you know that there were many churches during the bible time of the apostles... They continually whole to them to clarify issues... To the church at Antioch etc
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by greatness22(m): 3:01pm On May 22, 2016
DangotePikin:
from Glory to Glory...
That is where we are going bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 3:01pm On May 22, 2016
tonio2wo:

And before d rebuke, how did christ describe peter? Yes, peter had a family, and the early catholic priests had wives. It was an added law that was given by one of the popes for priest to become celibate. Mind you a new or d present pope might decide to change that law. By the way it is a crime to be celibate? Did jesus marry?

Upon this rock I will build mu church and Christ is the rock of all ages
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Billiondoe: 3:05pm On May 22, 2016
kinmayor:
. what about Cherubim and Seraphim Church that started in 1925?

CAC started in the 20th Century. It was only "formalised" in 1941
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by samafooo: 3:18pm On May 22, 2016
where is Baptist church, CAC, TAC, KERUBIM AND SERAFIM, U NEED TO RESEARCH WELL
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by prIVy7(m): 3:22pm On May 22, 2016
With all due respect to you Mr Nedu, I believe this post to be grossly incorrect on several counts. However, I shall speak only on that which I am sure about.

The first church was set up by christ himself and he left the church in the care of his apostles and disciples led be Apostle Peter who was so named by Jesus, for that purpose. The term "catholic/catholicism" which is commonly used, means "universal doctrine" which is used to show that the church has the same doctrines, systems and teachings in all posts anywhere in the world. The term "pope" means "father" this is used to denote the christian family(as a whole) which is led by a "father". Therefore by virtue of christ making Apostle Peter the leader/father of the church, he(Apostle Peter) is the first pope.

The Anglican church came into being when. King Henry III, King of England decided he must seek another wife to bear him a male child against the doctrines and approval of the then catholic pope. He decided to cut ties with Rome and set up a church he could control- The church of England which is the Anglican church.

I do beg that before we make such a post, we verify our information so as to inform rather than mislead people.

Knowlege/Information is Power

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by favouryemmy: 3:30pm On May 22, 2016
You wrote all this without mentioning CAC, the first Pentecostal Church in Nigeria? Your list isn't complete at all!
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by annyz: 3:32pm On May 22, 2016
What of OPM > Omega Power Ministry
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by cbrass(m): 3:41pm On May 22, 2016
jvera:
TAC, CAC, Mountain of fire is missing

You look so beautiful kiss
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by joceey(m): 3:45pm On May 22, 2016
Smartsyn:
Op you no mention Celestial, no let the clap and dance on top your head oo

Lwkm cheesy cheesy u wan dance and clap on top him head. Funny u grin
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by joceey(m): 3:48pm On May 22, 2016
Pls what are the criteria used in mentioning this churches?If there are no sentiment you ought to start from churches like C.A.C, C&S, CELESTIAL and so on according to the years they been existing not just mention all this new generational churches. grin
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Godstraight(m): 4:18pm On May 22, 2016
omotroyz:

that statement is a statement full with wisdom. It is well
which statement?,which wisdom?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by ItzChinnex(m): 4:18pm On May 22, 2016
oluwafemim:
YOUR FINDINGS MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT,MOUNTAIN OF FIRE AND MIRACLES MINISTRIES HAS THE LARGEST CONGREGATION IN AFRICA AT A SUNDAY SITTING SERVICE.

mtchew. you are not serious. have you gone to all churches? stop reasoning from your anus
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Acebar(m): 4:29pm On May 22, 2016
The Op may not know wat he's saying. my church ESO. C&S. is 91years dis year

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Busola992: 5:15pm On May 22, 2016
Cac?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Perpetualhelp: 5:27pm On May 22, 2016
Anglican church has nothing to do with St Augustine. The Anglican church was founded by King Henry VIII who was a divot Catholic but fell out with the church because his wife could not give him a child and wanted his mistress as wife and the pope refused. He then threatened and the pope insisted that divorced is against the church teaching.

Chris Oyakhilome started his church in ekpoma where he was a student with Anita. His main focus was to convert the Catholic by telling them they are worshipping Mary and idol.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 22, 2016
[
are you ok, catholic is the only church that can be traced to the bible!!! how do you mean

Question? ??

read your bible you no gree,
please I am late for evening mass.
I will answer after the mass.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by oluwafemim(m): 5:58pm On May 22, 2016
ItzChinnex:

mtchew. you are not serious. have you gone to all churches? stop reasoning from your anus

Never mean to fight you but from what you wrote , we know you. Satanic agent.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Meesquared(m): 6:13pm On May 22, 2016
where is assemblies of God church? hmmm
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 6:14pm On May 22, 2016
Themandator:

Upon this rock I will build mu church and Christ is the rock of all ages
Hehehe
Stop twisting what Jesus quoted concerning peter.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 6:17pm On May 22, 2016
Philadelphia:

Peter was married. How come was he also a pope?
Yes he was married, likewise d early popes and priests till one of d popes (dont remember his name now) gave a law that they should all be celibate. Mind you any new pope can change dat law.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by OLUWAFUNMISE(f): 6:40pm On May 22, 2016
Nice one
quote author=MosakuAW post=45853661]
You failed to mention CCC and C&S. They are also very popular in Naija.

Some members of the church you listed above still go to CCC and C&S when they have one spiritual problem or the other grin

Naija and Church things, gullible since the era of founding the churches.[/quote]
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Strongfaze(m): 6:55pm On May 22, 2016
Abeg Jehovah's Witness no be Church o. They do not believe in the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit) in whose name Christians are to baptize new converts as directed by Christ Himself. So remove them from that list!!!
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by hefelove(m): 7:16pm On May 22, 2016
Elebiju:
you're definitely a learner, come to my parish then maybe you will acknowledge your ignorance of celestial churches.
wa sheyre bur i still stand on ma point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Church In Abuja Where Pastor Charges N50k To Swim In Miracle Swimming Pool / Man Writes Church To Ask For Refund Of Offerings He Gave From 1998 To 2017 (Pix) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.