Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation (13410 Views)

How To Calculate Materials Needed For German Floor / Pile Or Raft Foundation Which Will Be Ideal? / How To Estimate Reinforcements Or Iron Rods In Raft Foundation For Your Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 11:10am On Aug 20, 2009
Further to last article on my blog, in a bid to demystify the raft foundation cost, this article will deal extensively on how to calculate your concrete materials like cement, sand and granite that you will use for the foundation.
Click link below.

http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2009/08/how-to-calculate-materials-in-concrete.html

1 Like

Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Jumyg: 12:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
Thirdeye

I have read the article but still want to find out how much it would cost in total for a 4 bedroom bungalow with raft foundation.

Thanks
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by sonety2k(m): 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2009
cool
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by desse: 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Jumyg

Hello am an architect-builder it will cost you 1.3million depending on the structural design and depth of foundation. contact hopemanflee@yahoo.com

desse-architect
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 8:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
desse:

@Jumyg

Hello am an architect-builder it will cost you 1.3million depending on the structural design and depth of foundation. contact hopemanflee@yahoo.com

desse-architect
Seconded, thanks Desse.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Jumyg: 9:19pm On Aug 20, 2009
Would you advise to do the fencing of the land before foundation.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Tosola: 12:11pm On Aug 21, 2009
I beg to dis agree with all of you. I will only accept that this is correct untill a quantity surveyor says so. The architect says 1.3million. when did he turned a Q.S. i beg to say that architects are the ones destroying building industry when they started design and build a house. where is proffessionalism. Lets stop this idea of usurping other position in this industry especially the architects.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Jumyg: 2:15pm On Aug 21, 2009
Tosola

Is the cost high or low for a four bedroom bungalow and are you a quantity surveyor?
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 2:05am On Aug 22, 2009
Jumyg:

Would you advise to do the fencing of the land before foundation.
Fencing depends on where the land is, if not prone to encroachment then there ma be no need.
Tosola:

I beg to dis agree with all of you. I will only accept that this is correct untill a quantity surveyor says so. The architect says 1.3million. when did he turned a Q.S. i beg to say that architects are the ones destroying building industry when they started design and build a house. where is proffessionalism. Lets stop this idea of usurping other position in this industry especially the architects.

Thank you for your comments thats why we need people like you, but if you don't do your work others wildo it for you so enlighten us more the ball is in your court. thanks
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Nimshi: 6:37am On Aug 22, 2009
desse: any comments on the concrete mixing ratio for the raft foundation in thirdeye's blog? You just gave an estimate in Naira, ?
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by larez(m): 12:12pm On Aug 22, 2009
Nimshi:

desse: any comments on the concrete mixing ratio for the raft foundation in thirdeye's blog? You just gave an estimate in Naira, ?

It all depends on the quality of your aggregates. A typical Reinforced concrete mix could be:
Water =7.99%
Cement =14.04%
Course Aggregate (Granite)=41.65%
Fine Aggregate (Sand)=36.32%

These are ratios by weight. Depends on what is being poured, I.E Beams, Columns etc, but this is usually adequate for general purpose. The point is that it could vary, and additives could also be added to make the concrete workable, increase or decrease plasticity based on method of application, or quick setting etc. Once again, most important factor will depend on the quality of aggregates.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Nimshi: 4:31am On Aug 23, 2009
larez: thanks for your contribution.

Your figures give a water/cement ratio of about 0.56, which is fine. thirdeye used quite practical units (headpans, tippers); these are useful, and it would've been useful if your recipe for concrete did the same. Regarding what is being poured, the thread is about "concrete in raft foundation".
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by oranges(m): 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
@thirdeye, Larez, & co, what is the best size of aggregate/granite for use in dbc?
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by larez(m): 2:05pm On Aug 24, 2009
What is dbc? undecided

In anycase, I ain't an Engineer, but will do my homework first, which is probably what you are doing. However, there are new proven technologies coming up that allows you for example to use 2 parts of flyash+ I part of regular portland cement to replace your cement needs. And with the advent of polymers, 19mm, 15mm and 9mm can replace each other as long as the fine aggregate is max 1/6 the size of the course aggregate. In the case of basalts and kimberlite, light weight concrete is also achieving the strengths and stress tests of granite with additives added.

My point here is that there are various new emerging technologies that are now beginning to put question marks on existing standards. Properly testing aggregates, which includes stuff like cubicity, soundness, and resistance to alkalines help to define the capability of it's concrete mixture. Hope all this blabbing doesn't confuse you. smiley
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by oranges(m): 3:54pm On Aug 24, 2009
@Larez, Im not only confused, but lost. what Im asking is the correct size of granite/stone (ie in mm) to be used for GERMAN FLOOR. Thanks.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by Tosola: 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2009
jumyg,

I am not a Q.S but a builder. Before i can give anybody the cost of constructing a building, i have to have the relevant drawings e.g architectural, structural mechanical and electrical drawing.

Invariably, what i am saying is that once you buy your land an have made up your mind the type of building you want to have, the best thing for you to do is to call the necesary proffesionals to give you your designs so that you can have the correct cost. This is also advantageous in the management of cost in the sense that, once you have the required proffessionals on your site, they serve as checks and balances for each other. The structural engineer monitors the placements of reinforcement, the architects ensures the aethetics aspect of the house is maitained and specifications are followed, while the Q.S ensures that all this is achieved at the right cost. Its time for clients to stop being penny wise and pound foolish. Because all these are not ensured gives the reasons for collapsed building we are having every where.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
oranges:

@thirdeye, Larez, & co, what is the best size of aggregate/granite for use in dbc?
I know you refer to Damp Proof Course but that is not even the concrete itself, but you can call it oversite concrete or laymen's term- german floor as you've poined out. The aggregates is not what anybody can easily tell you but to save cost and time people prefers to use the three-quarter inch.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by ajileko: 8:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
@3rd eye
Please correct me if I'm wrong but from reading your calculations on this project, the dept of the excavation for this foundation will be about 3' 6" or 1.10 meter.
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2009
ajileko:

@3rd eye
Please correct me if I'm wrong but from reading your calculations on this project, the dept of the excavation for this foundation will be about 3' 6" or 1.10 meter.
Yes
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by oduz: 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2010
undecided This thread went on break in AUG 2009, unfortunately I had not been granted visa to NL then  cry
O ya, Everybody wake up, there are still thousands of potential landlords in NL seeking free & reliable consultation & I'm eager to make my own contributions  cool
Re: How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation by thirdeye(m): 8:09am On Dec 30, 2016

(1) (Reply)

THE MAPLEWOODS PLUS. DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THE LA CAMPAGNE TROPICANA BEACH RESORTS / Stainless Steel Handrails | Price 22k/m | Turkey & Italy 304grade In Nigeria. / Save Cost On Roofing Stage!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.