Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,613 members, 7,816,520 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities (31288 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Investing In Startup Vs Buying Shares? / Buying Stocks, Bonds And Shares In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 1:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
@22Martins: So what? I have made no secret of the fact that I have not invested in any stocks, so obviously I am not yet a stock investor. Therefore I don't understand the relevance of the 'point' you seem to think you are making. I know that I need to practice stock analysis and I have suggested that we should create a thread where we can practice it together after learning the basic principles. But until I become good at it, I will not buy any shares. I think not participating is much better than losing the game.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 2:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun: @22Martins: So what? I have made no secret of the fact that I have not invested in any stocks, so obviously I am not yet a stock investor. Therefore I don't understand the relevance of the 'point' you seem to think you are making. I know that I need to practice stock analysis and I have suggested that we should create a thread where we can practice it together after learning the basic principles. But until I become good at it, I will not buy any shares. I think not participating is much better than losing the game.
Oga Seun, I laud your honesty and straightforwardness. However, business and investing are subjects quite from politics. Just a little misinformation can ruin your life, that is why we need to be careful of the advice we give and take.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 2:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: Oga Seun, I laud your honesty and straightforwardness. However, business and investing are subjects quite from politics. Just a little misinformation can ruin your life, that is why we need to be careful of the advice we give and take.
WTF are you talking about again? WTF does anything we are talking about have to do with Politics? Are you just trolling?
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun:
WTF are you talking about again? WTF does anything we are talking about have to do with Politics? Are you just trolling?

Oluwa oº°˚!! Seun haf vex!! Who pissed My Seun off?! angry angry angry
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by lazinc(m): 3:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun:
I know the basic principles of stock valuation. I have a copy of Ben Graham's stock aalysis book, The Intelligent Investor, and another one on company valuation. But I find financial statements to be extremely boring, so I have never actually completed the process of analyzing any stock. Ben Graham used to analyze stocks with his students during class, and many of them made a lot of money by investing on the basis of his analysis. I wish a good stock analyst would create a stock analysis thread here on Nairaland so we can learn & practice it together.

On the bolded, that was actually what attracted me to this thread but I can see that the main aim is defeated because you guys have derailed this thread. I have been investing in the market for quite some time but I cant call myself an investor, maybe I'm still speculating because "An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis, promises safety of principal and a satisfactory return. Operations not meeting these requirements are speculative" - Graham.
I have been doing my analysis on companies, despite the fact that getting financial data on Nigeria companies are somehow challenging compared to other developed markets around the world.

I want to see a situation, where some of us can take up companies, analyze these companies, determine the real worth of these companies - The intrinsic value, because having an intrinsic value estimate keeps one focused on the value of the business, rather than a piece of the stock - and that's what we want because, as an investor, you are buying a small piece of a business. This gives us strong basis in making investment decisions.

I will like the boss Seun and other investment gurus to keep this thread alive.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 4:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun:
Do you think with your brains at all? Why should i stalk or troll you? I said investing, unlike politics is a sensitive subject and people shouldn't just give or receive information anyhow? So what does that have to do with trolling? You quoted my thread and i responded; is that what you call trolling? You claimed you know nothing about investing, yet you are busy telling people that the market is struggling; a market you know nothing about. Now let me tell you this: When it comes to the subject of investing especially stocks, please shut your mouth and let the savvy individuals like maine and stockbull talk because you are totally incompetent.

1 Like

Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by manie(m): 4:46pm On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: Do you think with your brains at all? Why should i stalk or troll you? I said investing, unlike politics is a sensitive subject and people shouldn't just give or receive information anyhow? So what does that have to do with trolling? You quoted my thread and i responded; is that what you call trolling? You claimed you know nothing about investing, yet you are busy telling people that the market is struggling; a market you know nothing about. Now let me tell you this: When it comes to the subject of investing especially stocks, please shut your mouth and let the savvy individuals like maine and stockbull talk because you are totally incompetent.

I beg, I am not a stock guru, but I know how to detect stocks that will give good returns. I am just like every investor on the exchange.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by 222Martins(m): 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
manie:

I beg, I am not a stock guru, but I know how to detect stocks that will good stocks. I am just like every investor on the exchange.
Sir, please i never called you a stock guru; and i personally forbid being called such because no man has monopoly over knowledge. I called you a savvy investor....meaning a knowledgeable and sound minded investor. Secondly, don't categorize yourself as being like every other investor on the exchange because majority of individual investors in the market are mere speculators or gamblers.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by manie(m): 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: Sir, please i never called you a stock guru; and i personally forbid being called such because no man has monopoly over knowledge. I called you a savvy investor....meaning a knowledgeable and sound minded investor. Secondly, don't categorize yourself as being like every other investor on the exchange because majority of individual investors in the market are mere speculators or gamblers.

Thank you Sir, I think I am flattered.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by igbonla(m): 6:53pm On Mar 27, 2013
222Martins: Seriously i thought you were a broker because you are giving exactly the type of crap advice most brokers give. Secondly, judging by the type of advice you gave, I am really contemplating between you and I who is really an investor. First you advised people to invest only in blue chip stocks, next you tell them to invest with greed.........I think you take too much advice from your broker or you are simply a gambler that thrives on luck.

Ok dude, I am replying you so all of us can learn.

The advice wont be crap if you loosen up some bit, I can see you are lost on some part of my comments and I will help you here. I wrote "For the short term, all you need is greed analysis" not invest with greed like you twisted it. You would understand that part of my comment if you were an investor in the capital market anywhere in the world. Better you ask if you do not understand but I think the guy that wrote about robbing Peter to pay Paul have an idea what this is all about.
You may want to educate us if there is something wrong with investing in blue chips coy for the long term, would be nice to know.

Actually, I do engage my broker a lot. I pay him well to manage my funds and give me results. Gambler thriving on luck?? Boy, you are a true Nigerian and I wish you well.
Let's go prepare for tomorrow's market, there's money to be made.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by igbonla(m): 7:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
laz_inc:

I have been doing my analysis on companies, despite the fact that getting financial data on Nigeria companies are somehow challenging compared to other developed markets around the world.

I want to see a situation, where some of us can take up companies, analyze these companies, determine the real worth of these companies - The intrinsic value, because having an intrinsic value estimate keeps one focused on the value of the business, rather than a piece of the stock - and that's what we want because, as an investor, you are buying a small piece of a business. This gives us strong basis in making investment decisions.

I will like the boss Seun and other investment gurus to keep this thread alive.

The bolded is the crux of the matter, the economy is not so open and sophisticated yet despite ongoing improvement efforts. Inadequate financial data makes it tough to do reasonable analysis, there also too many "under the table" factors that influences the value of these companies.
We had a vibrant thread on this topic some years back, dunno how those folks could be brought back. It was so interesting with all the candles, graphs, charts and passionate discussions!
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Seun(m): 11:49pm On Mar 27, 2013
Seun: The stock market is currently struggling. You shouldn't invest unless you know how to read financial reports to figure out how much a company is worth.
222martins insulted me over this comment, which I made in 2011. First of all, that was a long time ago, so why insult me now? Secondly, I don't think it was out of line. The stock market was struggling in 2011. You don't need to be an experienced speculator to know when the stock market is struggling. If the NSE all share index is moving sideways or downwards, then it is fair to say it is struggling. In investing, we have to be frank if we want to succeed.. We should not say the market is doing well when it is not doing well. We cannot afford to be sentimental or emotional.

While I admitted to not having bought any stocks yet, that does not imply that I am ignorant about stocks. Buying stocks does not make you an expert. Many people bought stocks because they were told that the prices always go up. I think I know more than those people, and therefore I think I have the right to tell them to be careful. If you think you know better, we can have a civilized argument about it. You don't need to spew barbaric invective on our faces just because you disagree with someone's opinion. That is just not classy.

1 Like

Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by AjoseBiz(m): 5:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
Hi guys

Have you ever considered investing with an experienced, honest, trustworthy

pro forex trader. Registered to trade professionally

for one of the largest foreign currency brokerage

firms in Europe - LiteForex.

Have the ability to grow money relatively quickly.

25% ROI after 30 days
100% ROI after 90 days

No hanky panky person here - I will look after your

interests. smiley

Interested? contact me

Ben Anu Ajose
friday30july2004@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by scub(m): 10:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
Hello stock brokers, My name is Stan-Chuks, my friend bought some share with AIT five years ago and now he want to sale. The share has mightily appreciated. Any interested buyer should contact me 08036102235 or scubentertainer@yahoo.com for more inquiries and details. Thanks hope to hear from you.
Re: Buying Shares in Nigeria: Companies, Stock Market Trends, & Opportunities by Draone: 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2016
I am regreting investing in unity bank.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Investors Lose $190m As Owner Of Cryptocurrency Company Dies With Passwords / MMM Investors Drag Guiders To Court For Breach Of Trust / Intelligence Prime Capital Ltd, Is It A Scam Or Some Ponzi Scheme?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.