Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) (5211 Views)

Faith Oyedepo's 60th Birthday: Adeboye, Enenche, Ibiyeomie Others Attend / Discussion Time! Human Stupidity Is Indeed A Formidable Foe. / Virginity: A Virtue Or Shame. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by ValentineMary(m): 4:24pm On May 25, 2016
nynbrada:
To begin with, please if it is possible always try to make your Op as brief and concisce as possible. This long epistle of yours always get me bored and discouraged to want to read through and respond to your critique of biblical issues. What?? For heaven sake is this a scholary/academic piece for a masters or Phd programm.

very correct.

Good.

Very wrong.

Definist fallacy at play here.

From what you just implied, it is obvious that you've got a very poor understanding of what the concept of faith entails and also you ended up contradicting your definition of faith ab initio.

Now let me help you out with what faith is, seeing you are a carnal man untrained on the issues of faith, hence an impostor trying to occupy a position of authority on an issue, that he is nothing but a charlatan.

Just so you know, in christianity, faith is a virture that is employed by man to access a distinct realm of life that transcends his natural world. A virture that is anchored on a belief in a supreme/divine being who is Omniscient,Omnipresent and Omnipotent. The essence of being, he in whom the whole essence of life, seeing and unseeing is contained in.

Now the above inference, is a preamble designed to set the tone for you to understand the unnatural/unseen mechanics/element that is responsible for the impelling and impestus that drives the Christian man to want to reach out to the realm that is beyond his natural world. This element is the constituent nature of the afformentioned being. Seeing he has the capacity/capability to do for man things, that man naturally may not be able to do for himself.

Having layed this foundation, let now define faith from a Christian/Scriptural perspective.

Heb 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - KJV.

In laymans language this scriptural definition of faith can be simply rephrased as,,,,,...

- Being sure of things we are hoping or expecting from God with a sense of certainity that, though we can't see those things yet with our physical eye, yet they exist and are real because our God has the capability and capacity to bring them about just as he has promised.

So Johnydon get it, faith in Christian perspective means taking God by his word and being rest assured that he(God) will play his own part by bringing about those things that he has promised.

So finally faith is not about an emotion, which drives the conviction to be stuck whether it is true or not as you have erroneuosly purported.

Hogwash. Definist fallacy as usual.

Secondly, faith is not a virture for deductive reasoning, but rather it is designed for accessing the spiritual nebulous. Hence, a fallacy of inconsistent comparision on your part.

Trash.

Fallacy of false analogy/misleading vividness.

Anyone engaging in such deductive reasoning is only embarking on a journey of Tom Foolery and self inflicted ignorance.

As earlier said, faith is not a tool for investigating the natural world but rather the spiritual realm.

Once u said "Faith is a virtue" I knew u were going to spill trash.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 4:37pm On May 25, 2016
ValentineMary:

Once u said "Faith is a virtue" I knew u were going to spill trash.

You will do well to explain yourself. Rather than this lean and dry intellectual muscle flexing from you.
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by ValentineMary(m): 5:53pm On May 25, 2016
nynbrada:

You will do well to explain yourself. Rather than this lean and dry intellectual muscle flexing from you.

U earlier said faith prompts a vision/understanding of something yet unseen right? can't this be based on one's imagination
Faith is the act of filling up ur ignorance with an imaginary thing against all other evidence. How can this be a virtue? it is rather an intellectual vice.

How can we be certain of God's existence rather than just having faith that he is omnipotent, omnipresent and. perfect when even his holy books contradicts these properties

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 7:41pm On May 25, 2016
ValentineMary:

U earlier said faith prompts a vision/understanding of something yet unseen right? can't this be based on one's imagination
Faith is the act of filling up ur ignorance with an imaginary thing against all other evidence. How can this be a virtue? it is rather an intellectual vice.

How can we be certain of God's existence rather than just having faith that he is omnipotent, omnipresent and. perfect when even his holy books contradicts these properties

Trash.

Another dumb question and reasoning from them perennial atheists retaaaaards. The self professing free poo thinkers.

I had effortlessly debunked the Op for its DNAed "definist fallacy", then comes another cloned "Bimbo" regurgitating the same fallacies all over.

And what?? You actually expect me to start arguing with you back and forth on what faith is and is not. After i had succintly explained what faith is from a Christian/scriptural perspective.

Quoting from the Bible to give a scriptural definition of it and even paraphrasing it in laymans language for any would be reader to understand.

Then it is obvios that you are suffering from chronic low comprehension disorder,,........like i was even expecting any of them pillock to have a grasp of it in the first place.

And to even think that you had the temerity to come up with that lame and infantile piffle of the bible contradicting Gods constituent nature,,,,leele, so i should start engaging a harbinger of terminnal cognitive distortion on a mundane merry-go-round about whether God is good/perfect.....then they will come up with their demonic customized line,,,......if God is good/perfect/all powerful,,... why are so many destitute children dying in hunger all over the world,,....why didn't he stop the tsunami catastrophe in Asia,,,...why will he burn his creation in hell for not worshiping him, after he gave them free will,,...bla,,bla,..bla,...why did he allow buhari to come to power,,,why did he allow nepa to take light,,,bla,,,,,......bla,....mtcheeeeeeew!

Pack go one side joor, i get more important thing to do, than to come engage d*ck head of your type.
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by ValentineMary(m): 8:59pm On May 25, 2016
nynbrada:

Trash.

Another dumb question and reasoning from them perennial atheists retaaaaards. The self professing free poo thinkers.

I had effortlessly debunked the Op for its DNAed "definist fallacy", then comes another cloned "Bimbo" regurgitating the same fallacies all over.

And what?? You actually expect me to start arguing with you back and forth on what faith is and is not. After i had succintly explained what faith is from a Christian/scriptural perspective.

Quoting from the Bible to give a scriptural definition of it and even paraphrasing it in laymans language for any would be reader to understand.

Then it is obvios that you are suffering from chronic low comprehension disorder,,........like i was even expecting any of them pillock to have a grasp of it in the first place.

And to even think that you had the temerity to come up with that lame and infantile pillif of the bible contradicting Gods constituent nature,,,,leele, so i should start engaging a harbinger of terminnal cognitive distortion on a mundane merry-go-round about whether God is good/perfect.....then they will come up with their demonic customized line,,,......if God is good/perfect/all powerful,,... why are so many destitute children dying in hunger all over the world,,....why didn't he stop the tsunami catastrophe in Asia,,,...why will he burn his creation in hell for not worshiping him, after he gave them free will,,...bla,,bla,..bla,...why did he allow buhari to come to power,,,why did he allow nepa to take light,,,bla,,,,,......bla,....mtcheeeeeeew!

Pack go one side joor, i get more important thing to do, than to come engage d*ck head of your type.
O boy go sleep u no get anything to say. Engaging u would be a waste of time.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Oluwaseytiano(m): 9:46pm On May 25, 2016
If I told some theists that I believe Superman exists just becos I read his comics, they would laff at me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by OgundeleT(m): 11:23pm On May 25, 2016
malvisguy212:
sooo many things, I cannot named it. God has been Good to me. I would've been dead long time ago, by His Grace am alive.
and u think ur god do u good for not calling you to heaven? u people are not even sure of what you believe.

2 Likes

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by OgundeleT(m): 11:24pm On May 25, 2016
malvisguy212:
sooo many things, I cannot named it. God has been Good to me. I would've been dead long time ago, by His Grace am alive.
and u think ur god do u good for not calling you to heaven? u people are not even sure of what you believe.
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by OgundeleT(m): 11:29pm On May 25, 2016
johnydon22:

Express lunacy of professed faith.
E.G one that is very ill and is in the hospital placed on life support.

Doctor: how are you feeling today?
Patient: I am good God's grace is keeping me alive.
Doctor: oh really then there is no need for the life support then let me remove it.
Patient: Nooooooo shocked you want to kill me?
Doctor: but i thought God's grace is the one keeping you alive not the life support.
Patient: Uuuhm it's a [b]metaphor[\b]
lols
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by johnydon22(m): 12:08am On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:
[s]

Gargantuan heap of trash.

Root cause:

Definist Fallacy.

Solution:

- The lot of you Atheist here should go and give you life to Christ and stop deceiving yourselves.

Next,,.......

Hahaha i always like how my posts makes you guys feel, really mad grin and i love it grin

that was the plan.. wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by johnydon22(m): 12:10am On May 26, 2016
ValentineMary:

O boy go sleep u no get anything to say. Engaging u would be a waste of time.

You see someone venting the word "trash trash trash" like its rap music and you expect to have a good sensible discussion with such a person?

Lmao bad idea.

That'd be a total waste of precious time and intellectual morsels.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 7:14am On May 26, 2016
malvisguy212:
The Christian life is more than a life of blind trust. It is a life of rational examination that challenges each of us to evaluate the evidence, form a conclusion and then share that conclusion with the world around us. Let’s examine the Biblical model of evidential faith:
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO USE THEIR
MIND>>>>"You shall love the Lord your God
with all your heart, and with all your soul, and
with all your mind. This is the great and
foremost commandment." ( Matthew 22:37-38)

When we examine our world and the
evidence for the existence of God, we are
worshipping God with our mind.it's either we
love God with our mind or reject him, it's a
choice.
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO UNDERSTAND
EVIDENCE>>>>Acts 17:31
31 because He has fixed a day in which
He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished PROOF to all men by raising Him from the dead.”
The Greek word used for "proof" in Acts
17:31 is "pistis". The word is derived
from "peitho" which is a Greek verb that
means "to convince by argument" that
something is either true or false.
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO EXAMINE THEIR
BELIEF>>>>1 Thessalonians
5:19-21 Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But EXAMINE everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good…
God wants us to know what we believe
and why we believe it. We’re not called to
numbly trust everything that might be taught in
our world today.Skepticism is important to the
Christian faith; skepticism causes us to examine what we believe and search for the
evidence that confirms our beliefs. God honors this kind of skepticism because He knows that it leads to a deeper faith in Him. There is a place for skepticism in the life of the Christian because it causes us to "examine the Scriptures daily".
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO BE CONVINCED OF WHAT THEY BELIEVE>>>>2 Timothy 3:14
14 You, however, continue in the things you
have learned and become CONVINCED of,
knowing from whom you have learned them.

Conviction is the result of certainty, and certainty is the result of evidential confidence. We are called to be convinced by mastering the evidence that supports what we believe. The Christians life is not one of "wishful
thinking" or "hope in the unreasonable". It is a
life of certainty, grounded in the evidence.
CHRISTIANS ARE CALLED TO BE CASE
MAKER>>>>1 Peter 3:15
15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;
Once we have examined the evidence and have come to the conclusion that Christianity is true, we are called to be ready to make a strong defense for what we believe.
IN CONCLUSION;
Christians can be "case makers" precisely
because the Christian faith is an evidential faith. When we, as Christians, argue for the truth of the Christian Worldview, we are not sharing an opinion. There either is a God, or there is not. Jesus is that God, or He is not.
Salvation comes through Christ alone (as Jesus
Himself maintained), or it does not. This is not a matter of opinion, personal preference or
wishful thinking. The Christian faith is grounded in evidence that can be assessed and evaluated. The Christian faith is an evidential faith.
https://www.nairaland.com/2148108/christian-faith-based-upon-evidence
i can as well quote you the book of the mormons. try dishing out a combactic reply without reliance and insufficient support from the bible.Puleeeease.
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 7:39am On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

Trash.

And to even think that you had the temerity to come up with that lame and infantile pillif of the bible contradicting Gods constituent nature,,,,leele, so i should start engaging a harbinger of terminnal cognitive distortion on a mundane merry-go-round about whether God is good/perfect.....then they will come up with their demonic customized line,,,......if God is good/perfect/all powerful,,... why are so many destitute children dying in hunger all over the world,,....why didn't he stop the tsunami catastrophe in Asia,,,...why will he burn his creation in hell for not worshiping him, after he gave them free will,,...bla,,bla,..bla,...why did he allow buhari to come to power,,,why did he allow nepa to take light,,,bla,,,,,......bla,....mtcheeeeeeew!

your comments are littered with hate speech and derogatory remarks indirectly inviting unecessary abuse. You are a supposed christian right?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 7:43am On May 26, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
If I told some theists that I believe Superman exists just becos I read his comics, they would laff at me
By faith,i believed Superman exists. So You are apparently wrong. cool
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by dblackninja: 8:57am On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

Gargantuan heap of trash.
Root cause:
Definist Fallacy.
Solution:
- The lot of you Atheist here should go and give you life to Christ and stop deceiving yourselves.
Next,,.......

This got me laughing. Have you been a trash master before?
You cancelled the OP, please in a summary what does the word faith imply, and what do you mean by giving a life to christ??

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 6:31pm On May 26, 2016
Immorttal:
your comments are littered with hate speech and derogatory remarks indirectly inviting unecessary abuse. You are a supposed christian right?

Sanctimonious b*st*rd. Stop playing the victims card.

I guess it is the Atheist that has got an exclusive right in employing and hauling vitrolics and all sort of caustic descriptors at my God, the Bible, Christians and Christianity at large. Why we Christians sit on our hands and watch you guy have fun. Pele.

E just dey start, na go hear am.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 6:49pm On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

I guess it is the Atheist that has got an exclusive right in employing and hauling vitrolics and all sort of caustic descriptors at my God, the Bible, Christians and Christianity at large. Why we Christians sit on our hands and watch you guy have fun. Pele.

was trying to call you to order to focuse on the thread.A qualitative arguement was going on prior to your irrational hostility.
I see Atheist's as intelligent beings who refrain from unmeaning name calling. *bows out*

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 6:49pm On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

was trying to call you to order to focuse on the thread.A qualitative arguement was going on prior to your irrational hostility.
I see Atheist's as intelligent beings who refrain from unmeaning name callings. *bows out*
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 6:51pm On May 26, 2016
dblackninja:

This got me laughing. Have you been a trash master before?

Guess you are the trash slave,

You cancelled the OP, please in a summary what does the word faith imply,

Master of selective blindness, i'm pretty sure you didn't see my first post. Go read it through and help yourself.

and what do you mean by giving a life to christ??

When you pass your sojourn on Earth here without recieving him, you will find out the meaning.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by dblackninja: 7:18pm On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

Guess you are the trash slave,
Lol. Trash! Trash! Trash cheesy
Master of selective blindness, i'm pretty sure you didn't see my first post. Go read it through and help yourself.

All I saw was someone complaining bitterly of a long text, yet wrote a long epistle in the name of refuting the op..hence I asked and still asking, in a summary, what does the word faith imply ? You can do well by answering it now.
When you pass your sojourn on Earth here without recieving him, you will find out the meaning.
Without receiving who? Christ?? Are you a master of confusion as well? Am sooo lost . You said giving a life to Christ and I asked what do you really mean by that..and you're now saying receiving

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 7:20pm On May 26, 2016
Immorttal:

My brother i appreciate your civility and my apology to you for the ad hominem.

You can check my first post on this thread and my post history, i'm not like these, but these folks here have pushed me to the wall and henceforth i'll be giving them a dose of their own medicine.

I see Atheist's as intelligent beings who refrain from unmeaning name callings. *bows out*

Please, it would be an unintelligent thing for you to act as a mouth piece for all Atheist on a matter like this.

They are really not what they are cracked up to be.
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by nynbrada: 8:01pm On May 26, 2016
johnydon22:

You see someone venting the word "trash trash trash" like its rap music and you expect to have a good sensible discussion with such a person?

Lmao bad idea.

That'd be a total waste of precious time and intellectual morsels.

Yeah! But when you were getting the "good", "very correct" at the beginning, it sure sounded like someone you weren't gonna get sensible discussion with.

Prof, go siddon joor.

All i see here is an overated local champion hemorrhaging badly intellectually.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Immorttal: 9:18pm On May 26, 2016
nynbrada:

My brother i appreciate your civility and my apology to you for the ad hominem.

You can check my first post on this thread and my post history, i'm not like these, but these folks here have pushed me to the wall and henceforth i'll be giving them a dose of their own medicine.

Please, it would be an unintelligent thing for you to act as a mouth piece for all Atheist on a matter like this.

They are really not what they are cracked up to be.
You are Welcome!
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 8:34am On May 27, 2016
ValentineMary:
Well done Johnny. Faith does not make a ridiculous claim real, it only means one believes that ridiculous claim and can believe anything.
Wow, here comes the smart guy talking smartly. Catholic Church has done very well I turn half of the Christians to atheists. "FAR FROM ROME, NEAR TO GOD"
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 8:45am On May 27, 2016
johnydon22:

It baffles me how you guys manage to jam two opposite words into one and still do so with a straight face.

I am wowed at how someone can jam "Faith" and "evidence" into one with a straight face, that is totally ridiculous like saying a water is both extremely hot and icy-cold at the same time.

either this is a severe case of ignorance on what is "Faith and evidence" are or plain ol cognitive dissonance and laziness or as usual intellectual dishonesty.

Faith and evidence are incompatible.

where there is Evidence there is no faith and none needed cus there is certainty..

Faith is only needed when there is no evidence.

the two never mixes and cannot mix cus they are blatantly opposites. .
Maybe you should start by defining Faith. When definding Faith, two words Stands out. SUBSTANCE AND EVIDENCE.
Get off talking about matters that are beyond you dear, you are an Atheist.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 8:47am On May 27, 2016
Pyrrho:
I can't make any sense of the entire post.

Is it just me?
Yes, It's just you. You have been hoodwinked to believe you are smart, but here is proof that you are not.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 8:49am On May 27, 2016
Lilbrown007:
I JUST GOT KICKED OUT FROM ANOTHER GROUP AGAIN JUST CAUSE I WAS TRYING TO AIR MY OWN VIEW YET THEY SAY WE ATHEIST ARE THAT CAUSE WE WANNA ENJOY LIFE.....

WELL FAITH THEY MUST BE VERY HAPPY SHOUTING THEY HAVE FAITH NA
Cry babe. Well... Live with it.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 8:51am On May 27, 2016
OgundeleT:

and he didn't even check whether what he copied make sense before he posted it... the post no get head talk less of tail
It doesn't make sense to you, maybe because you lost your senses the day you stepped out of God's graces.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Nobody: 9:03am On May 27, 2016
Anas09:

Yes, It's just you. You have been hoodwinked to believe you are smart, but here is proof that you are not.
Smart guy.
Where is the proof you are babbling about?

cool
Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 9:04am On May 27, 2016
onetrack:

Can you show me this proof? Just saying it's in a book is useless because books can be fiction or non-fiction, and the Bible has known errors and inconsistencies.
Will you believe even if you are shown proof?
Two days ago a girl of 8, died, she was raised back to life after a while, in the name of Jesus. She was rushed to the hospital, the Military Hospital rejected her saying the case was useless, it was beyond them. Today, just minutes ago, I called to fine out how she is. She is doing fine.
There, you have your evidence, if you don't believe it, then it's on you, not because there's no evidence.

1 Like

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Anas09: 9:12am On May 27, 2016
johnydon22:

But yet they are no objective evidences for your beliefs that is why you all still need faith.

You lot do not look for evidences to confirm your beliefs because the so called "evidences" are also upside down claims held unto by "faith". You only look for things to twist and lay even more claims of faith and say they are evidences.

You lot do not examine your beliefs cus if you did you wouldn't even hold them, scepticism is seen as a threat in Christianity if you lot had your ways you'd do anything to silence the mouths of sceptics and freethinkers of which i am one of..

I cannot begin to lay out the many angry mails i have received and still receive from angry christians who see my scepticism as a threat to their beliefs, the frustrated insults we get here on NL.

Scepticism is not encouraged in Christianity please stop the lies, that is why Children are discouraged from questioning their beliefs, bible or alleged words of God or they risk hell.

I asked a bus preacher a question yesterday and got "God works in mysterious ways" how does that encourage scepticism?

In fact you lot can do anything to do away with scepticism which is a flogging rod that has kept the Christian faith in moderation and is the gallow on which Faith is being murdered in this millennium of fast dwindling faith(s).
That same Gallows was where Faith was also murdered in the days of Nietzsche your grand patron, he ran mad, died. Faith is still standing today.
Guy, Faith, through the generations has never been popular, but you know what? It will be here till the end of time. Look around you, you are an intelligent man, the things you see and hear, are they fulfilment of Christ's prophecies? If they not, I would be terrified. But, when I hear or see these things, I lift up my hands and give God praise.
BTW, I thought God doesn't exist, I don't believe we are here having this discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Faith (Virtue Or Foe?) by Scholar8200(m): 9:16am On May 27, 2016
Faith? Well, as a christian, I (and millions through the ages) believed/placed our faith in the LORD Jesus Christ and we were transformed by His Grace! in fact,in one community, the police boss commented that the community had changed due to the transformation of life in those who had believed in Jesus. Well then, faith is a virtue.

https://onecanhappen./2013/03/08/effects-of-the-welsh-revival-1904-05-whole-communities-were-radically-changed-from-depravity-to-glorious-goodness-the-crime-rate-dropped-often-to-nothing-the-underground-mines-echoed-with-the-soun/

Hence, it will be perhaps a subtle, characteristical venting of native theophobia for the Op to deal with a matter such as this sans indepth study and review of history.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Proper To Skip Praise & Worship On Sunday Service ? / Why Do You Love God? / All Sufficient God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.