Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,776 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:00 AM

Should The Military Come Back? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Military Come Back? (940 Views)

Poll: Should the military come back?

Yes/Maybe: 20% (1 vote)
No/Never!: 80% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Time To Beg Okonjo-iweala To Come Back - Femi Aribisala / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Military Come Back? by nosa2(m): 11:55pm On Aug 22, 2009
Given the amount of time that we have allocated to democracy, and the current state of the Nation, I need to ask do we need the military to come back and clean things up? I want you to think of all the scandals from the 16 billion dollars power sector probe, to the Halliburton scandal, to Atiku's PTDF scandal: nothing has or is going to come out of all these cases even our current bode george case, nothing. So iIwould like people to seriously think to themselves if a military intervention in government (similar to rawlings type) is not the best option for this country, because right now we're not going anywhere, the private sector that people were putting hope in, well we can see just how bad they are as well. Please i'll really love to hear opinions.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by sjeezy8: 12:01am On Aug 23, 2009
Rawling type is different and the military never left the same presidents and politicians have been active for the last 30 years,
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by nex(m): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2009
No. If the military comes back, I'll lake over the government from them.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by davidif: 2:27am On Aug 23, 2009
Should The Military Come Back?

COME BACK AND DO WHAT?!?!?! angry angry angry angry
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by otokx(m): 4:25am On Aug 23, 2009
No way.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by dinggle: 6:46am On Aug 23, 2009
I see reason with u poster, but we dont need full military return. what we need is some group of men with good will among the military that will come clean things up hold credible election and get off the stage all these should be done within 6 - 10 months. Democracy will not give it to us because the corrupt leaders know their crime and are affraid of free election. Just like Ibori, who should be in jail! I m so ashamed of Nigeria that Ibori is a free man, and Abacha son is looking ahead to runing for governorship election in Kano, that alone tells the Nigeria story. The biggest joke in the African continent. All the past governors indicted are now heros. Nigeria has been privatised as Northern property by Yaradua. What moral justification does the EFCC have to detain bank chiefs when Ibori is a free man That country is simply annoying. Every corrupt official should be brought to book. Why hasn't the governor of Maiduguri resigned over boko haram?? Shamless leaders!!!
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by Ehoi: 7:00am On Aug 23, 2009
I support the return of the military to come and dissolve this charade we call democracy. They should organise a SNC within two months. Lets fix the foundation of the house before talking about elections. Any election built upon this stinking foundation will not work. Lets sit down and decide if we need to separate or be together. We also need to draw up a new constitution. Whether we breakup is not important, the most important thing we need is for the regions to have complete autonomy. With that, we would have solved 50% of our problems.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by TheSeeker(m): 7:10am On Aug 23, 2009
What we fail to understand is the fact that no matter what dispensation it is, military or democratic, Nigerian leaders are nothing but rogues and thieves. There will never be sanity in the Nigerian government, well, unless of course some great happens like some sort of miracle where sets of new leaders crop up from another block.

Come to think of it, what's so different between this democratic and former military dominance? We've been ruled since '99 by ex military men. No democrat, just plain military men who are militarizing the democracy. I won't support the return of the military, not in this lifetime.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by Matinho: 7:13am On Aug 23, 2009
our colonial masters should come back rather than the millitary.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by deor03(m): 8:06am On Aug 23, 2009
The military should sit down in their barracks and defend the nation against aggressors.
This request for their comeback is a huge insult to the thousands of Nigerians jailed or killed while fighting for democracy
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by presido1: 10:19am On Aug 23, 2009
deor03:

The military should sit down in their barracks and defend the nation against aggressors.
Yeah internal aggressors like the one we have now from the PoliticanMillitary hegemony.

This request for their comeback is a huge insult to the thousands of Nigerians jailed or killed while fighting for democracy
Those thousands jailed and killed are still being insulted by the type of democrazy we have today. Do we even have democracy?
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by SapeleGuy: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2009
Nosa - All the problems that you have listed are directly and indirectly attributable to the military. No country has successfully developed under military / colonial regime.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by OYBMEND: 1:23pm On Aug 23, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Nosa - All the problems that you have listed are directly and indirectly attributable to the military. No country has successfully developed under military / colonial regime.

Hellloooooooooo ??

Libya is not doing badly

And by the way there is no democracy in Nigeria. We are not even pretending to have one yet.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by chidichris(m): 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2009
Given the amount of time that we have allocated to democracy, and the current state of the Nation, i need to ask do we need the military to come back and clean things up? I want you to think of all the scandals from the 16 billion dollars power sector probe, to the halliburton scandal, to Atiku's PTDF scandal: nothing has or is going to come out of all these cases even our current bode george case, nothing. So i would like people to seriously think to them selfs if a military intervention in government (similar to rawlings type) is not the best option for this country, because right now we're not going anywhere, the private sector that people were putting hope in, well we can see just how bad they are as well. Please i'll really love to hear opinions.

@poster,
i was reading without attention till saw where u mentioned rawlings type. please be informed for future refferences that if there is anything we will be wishing, it will be for the military to GO. they have been here and they are still arround. once a general is always a general. what we have since 1999 is a different type of democracy which i call MILITARY DEMOCRACY OR OBASANJO DEMOCCRACY. where in democracy do u see a president servicing as the petrolium minister at the same time? have u seen a democracy where two communities were erased without question? have u ever seen in democracy where 99% of all the electorial positions were selected by a single man? have u seen in a democracy where the federation laws are amended to suit the purpose of one man? have u seen in a democracy where the attorney general of a country is assasinated without traces? in which democracy a president tell the whole nation that elections will be a do or die affair? in which democracy have u seen contracts awarded and paid for withour execution and no one after ten years is answering to that? have u ever taken ur time to read up the meaning of democracy? is democracy in any manner mean, govt of obj, by obj and for the people?
we are still under military regime and our prayers will be,GOD PLS VISIT ALL THOSE WHO HAVE DENIED US ALL THE HAPPINESS YOU CREATE FOR US. KILL THEM ALL FOR KILLING OUR JOY AND HAPPINESS - AMEN
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by nex(m): 2:48pm On Aug 23, 2009
Are you Nigerians just gluttons for punishment?

Have you never experienced Military Regimes before? Perhaps most of the new posters on this forum are born post-1999.

Someone was calling out a group of well meaning military men. Why don't you call on a group of well meaning Nigerians? Do you even think any well meaning military man will be hanging out with a clique that plots coups.

If a government that is meant to be installed, controlled and utilized by the people, they already surrender to say they don't have the power, they don't want to exercise their power, then what about a government that forcefully installed itself on you?

A man than can use the little force he can muster to take over control of 150 million Nigerians disrespects and looks down on Nigerians so much that he sees them as cattle. What goodwill do you expect from him?

I say it again, I don't see any military man that will take over the country today whom I can't slap out of Aso Rock. So if the military should take over, I will just go about killing as many soldiers as I can am posting their deaths on a specially created Facebook Group. If y'all join in, fine. If not
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by Seun(m): 3:06pm On Aug 23, 2009
If the military was in power, Nairaland would not have a politics section. Absolute power corrupts.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by Matinho: 3:11pm On Aug 23, 2009
OYB_MEND:

Hellloooooooooo ??

Libya is not doing badly

And by the way there is no democracy in Nigeria. We are not even pretending to have one yet.

Its obvious mr sapele spoke out of ignorance.His statement no country has developed (i dont know what he means by succesful development) under millitary or colonial regime is absolutely false.Better to do one s homework than uttering balderdash.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by Seun(m): 11:10am On Aug 24, 2009
A country that develops under military rule would develop more under civilian rule.
A country that fails to develop under civilian rule will fail more woefully under military rule.
Re: Should The Military Come Back? by JamesG: 11:30am On Aug 24, 2009
That's the worse that can happen to this country! They've done nothing but wreck the country!! The Country is still trying to dig itself out of the total economic/social distruction brought on by IBB and Abacha, and its taking this long to even get any kind of traction.

(1) (Reply)

Guns Given To Somali Islamic Quiz Winners / 15 Questions For Governor Akpabio And 5 Advices / Agency Grills Yerima Over Marriage To Minor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.