Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,699 members, 7,959,135 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30964 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:54am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Afaukwu is clueless. . . . . .He thinks he is talking to some village twerps here.
How can anyone say Lagos is surviving on oil money? Which stupid oil money?
The same oil money Northerners have used to develop their own states?
Some people are notoriously fickle.

Fuckever jare. . . . .stop moaning.

no be them fault as if lagos is a pdp governed state infact they hate us  but we still make our money
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 12:54am On Aug 24, 2009
Jaylon:

i think osisi and afaukwu are just mad because igbos are part of those evicted.

if igbos were not evicted, they won't give a damn about others including the hausas

Were igbos evicted? cuz if they were then now i understand. grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 12:54am On Aug 24, 2009
Far from reality.

you fit prove him wrong of course.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:55am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

The guy you are talking to is not even from Lagos state
He is a migrant too
are Lagos state people Ekiti?

It seems a gerbil crawled up your ass this evening.
Fashola is not deporting all non-Lagosians. . . . .He is deporting the ones that are not productive.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 12:55am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Afaukwu is clueless. . . . . .He thinks he is talking to some village twerps here.
How can anyone say Lagos is surviving on oil money? Which stupid oil money?
The same oil money Northerners have used to develop their own states?
Some people are notoriously fickle.

Fuckever jare. . . . .stop moaning.

Only an idiot makes does not accept mistakes.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:55am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

Stop sitting on the fence. . . .

Were Igbos evicted too?  grin grin grin grin grin
Hahahahahaha. . . . .Dem don evict Osisi's grandfather? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked
How can he evict a man who is now seated at the right hand of God?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 24, 2009
no amount of injecting race or tribalism will take away the real issue

The Lagos State Government is acting CRIMINALLY
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:56am On Aug 24, 2009
Yoruba Cities Littered with Homeless Beggars, all Children and Women
Daily Independent, Hakeem Jamiu

Assume that the Yoruba culture is good and progressive. Assume that the Yoruba elders are wise and peace-loving. Assume that the Yoruba people are the most educated in Africa and that they received the most useful education any other group can ever dream of. These are the assumptions and beliefs of every Yoruba man. Now, given that the same Yoruba people managed Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, I ask you: Are these assumptions consistent with the results of Yoruba eight years of leadership in Nigeria? In other words, what did the Yoruba culture, people, and elders produce for the Yoruba masses in their eight years of sound and fury as the most “civilized” tribe in the African continent? For these assumptions to be true and valid, Yoruba states and cities will reflect positive changes in positive directions concerning the lives and behaviors of the Yoruba citizens therein. States such as Osun, Oyo, Ogun, and Ekiti, and cities such as Ibadan, Lagos, and Ayetoro Ekiti, the collective center of Yoruba “civilization”, will show good signs of happy Yoruba men, women, and children living their lives according to the results of the eight years of Yoruba “wise” leadership in Nigeria. Clearly, these assumptions are absurd because Yoruba culture produces useless animals and educated idiots who understand nothing about health, education, law and order, road maintenance, and administration of elections and public services. If you are still in doubt, read about the present conditions in the city of Ibadan, occupied and managed by 100% Yoruba people.

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his dath has led to the profilration of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Jaylon(m): 12:56am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

did you read afaukwu's post where your fellow Yoruba people are gate crashing funerals  and weddings with babiallah plates? grin
begging is not a northern phenomenon.
That article shows your own beggars are very aggressive and dangerous.
abeg go siddon with your fist shaking
Jegede shokoya

Na waa oo

So there are no igbo beggars ? All igbos are filthy rich  
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 12:57am On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol why are you people making it a tribe think igbos i swear you people love to act tribalistic

back to the topic please

I was going to say same thing but u beat me to it cool
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 12:57am On Aug 24, 2009
did you read afaukwu's post where your fellow Yoruba people are gate crashing funerals  and weddings with babiallah plates?

I have no time to waste on useless and baseless stories without links.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:57am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

It seems a gerbil crawled up my ass this evening.
Fashola is not deporting all non-Lagosians. . . . .He is deporting the ones that are not productive.

ocassional ocho passenger and funeral crashing on weekends is productiveness?
I hear you
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Jaylon(m): 12:58am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

Amen to that grin ;
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:59am On Aug 24, 2009
asha 80:

Only an idiot makes does not accept mistakes.

Gosh. . . .You are a laboratory retard
Were u born feet first?

$osisi:

shocked shocked shocked shocked
How can he evict a man who is now seated at the right hand of God?

Show us the evidence. . . . .
Intel says he is being deported as we speak with his herd of pigs in a truck back to the East.
U better head off to Western Union to send some cash tomorrow. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 1:00am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

so if you have a link,the story becomes authentic?
anumanu
You think you're better than a Hausa man
at least their beggars are polite
Yours crash private parties.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 1:00am On Aug 24, 2009
Now why are the igbos taking pandol for other people headache undecided

Are u scared fashola will send all the spare part seller back to where they came from? grin cheesy
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 1:01am On Aug 24, 2009
oyinda.:

you make no sense whatsover. this idea of yours is very racist and tribalistic
who said US has the resources? have you been into an american ghetto? why didn't they deport african americans after hurricane katrina when there were no resources?

so you would support a racist ideology if it means more food for you? so by the same thought process, you will also support corruption and theft if it means more food for the criminal.
"ideology and morals shouldn't hold progress back." listen to yourself

"once lagos develops they can come back"
question is WHO ARE LAGOSIANS? who then has the right to remain in lagos? only rich people? didn't u just say that some poor yoruba beggars were also deported to ibadan

see how you make no sense?

lol. and racist social darwinists are not racist either.  

so you support sharia too?

I don't think the people are comparing their lives to maigards and alhajis like babangida. they are more concerned with themselves and their families and that's one of the reason they moved to lagos in the first place. just that it's a world where some turn out successful and others not so much.

Whoever said only the rich to stay? Stop creating hypothetical situations. These are people that have chosen begging as a profession rather than to find something better to do. What sort of life is that?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 1:01am On Aug 24, 2009
And becomerich strikes  grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 1:01am On Aug 24, 2009
In BecomeRich's dream Map

Sokoto will be included in Republic of Biafra

grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 1:02am On Aug 24, 2009
were deporting useless yorubas/ hausas in mushin and those igbos that populate ajegunle NEXT [b][/b]
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 1:02am On Aug 24, 2009
babapupa:

you fit prove him wrong of course.

Easy. Half of Lagos revenue is from oil. And anyway; as Federal Capital, Lagos was built with oil money.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 1:02am On Aug 24, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Are u scared fashola will send all the spare part seller back to where they came from? grin cheesy

Osisi is paranoid. . . . .She is street smart enough to know Fashola is coming for her ass.
Very soon, Osisi will be begging for an invitation letter from NLers before she can come to lagos. grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 1:02am On Aug 24, 2009
TOPE2000!:

he cannot do jack.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 1:03am On Aug 24, 2009
becoomrich:

This is the picture of the north , this people self.

Well since they so rich, the more reason to send them back of their states. no? tongue
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Jaylon(m): 1:03am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

so if you have a link,the story becomes authentic?
anumanu
You think you're better than a Hausa man
at least their beggars are polite
Yours crash private parties.

Hausa people don massacre 10 igbos within these few minutes you
are defending them.

Tens more will be massacred within the next few minutes

Please get your priority straight. Yorubas are not igbo people enemies
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 1:04am On Aug 24, 2009
stillwater:

Whoever said only the rich to stay? Stop creating hypothetical situations. These are people that have chosen begging as a profession rather than to find something better to do. What sort of life is that?

i wasn't referring to you. read the quote that i was responding to before jumping into an argument.
he was talking about productive people versus unproductive people.
if you were crippled with your legs cut off i don't think you would be here on nairaland. or counting yourself among the productive people.

In my opinion the armed robbers and kidnappers that are rampant in lagos are more dangerous than these crippled beggars, women and children. why isn't fashola going after those people?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 1:04am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:
Oh come on!!! You speak of these beggars as if they are some sophisticated mafia. We are speaking of people who know nothing but to beg for a living. The houses they own in their villages were built with money obtained from begging. The wives married with money obtained from begging. Suddenly, you expect them to give all that up because of some cockamamie fear of being evicted if they go back? They have never really been welcome in Lagos and have long been considered a nuisance in the state. Deportation is now the solution?

I am not saying they would all of a sudden stop begging.

They would continue begging but in places where they cannot be evicted, like Kaduna, Kano and Bauchi.

Trying to do it in Lagos would be too expensive and stressful and not as attractive anymore as the forementioned.

Kobojunkie:
What about the potential consequences of this action by the state? What if the nimrods in the north decide to pester yoruba poor in their states as a result? And as someone already asked, what happens to the beggars who claim to be from Lagos state? Do they get Jailed or taken care of by the state then?

Beggars from Lagos should be catered for by Lagos government.

If Yorubas are pestered, no problem, they would return but the northern society would virtually be unfunctional for a while.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Well since they so rich, the more reason to send them back of their states. no? tongue

Lol exactly
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2009
TOPE2000!:

Our problem is that u folks are always up in hand to lecture us on one Nigeria

But like this action and other litany of actions, you don't seem to believe in ONE NIGERIA

you wont even respect the constitution that binds us all together which says all Nigerians can live anywhere

Nobody is scared of Fashola, we are just tired of Hypocrisy from the WEST.

ONE Nigeria when it is convenient and re-inventing the constitution when it suits you.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 1:05am On Aug 24, 2009
asha 80:

he cannot do jack.

So why are u guys shouting? grin
Fashola is the governor of Lagos state and he can do wateva je pleases with the state. if you dont like it, stay in ur state. cool
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 1:06am On Aug 24, 2009
So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland?

The poor will always be with us
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 1:06am On Aug 24, 2009
Trust me, if igbo folks get a place like lagos for igboland, den no go even give a rat ass about fashola and some yeye beggars.
lol.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (31) (Reply)

Abdusalami-Led Peace Committee In Crucial Meeting With Atiku, Obi In Abuja / Yusuf Lasun: Picture Of The Day From Osun APC Direct Primary Election / PLO Lumumba On Border Closure: 'Nigeria Too Big To Be Threatened By Benin'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.