Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 (19094 Views)

Ogoni Land Clean Up: One Year On / How Buhari Averted Disaster In Ogoni Land ~ By Mohnice / Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by emamos: 3:05pm On May 30, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari will launch the Ogoni land clean-up on June 2, a statement has said.
This is contained in a statement issued by Mr Chijioke Amu-Nnadi, Head of Corporate Affairs unit, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) in Port Harcourt on Monday.
It stated that the Minister of Environment, Mrs Amina Mohammed, confirmed the date when she visited Bodo in Gokana Local Government Area of the state to inspect an oil spill clean-up demonstration.
The statement quoted Mohammed as saying that the president had given assurances that the area would be cleaned-up in fulfilment of his electioneering promise to people of the Niger Delta.
“I can confirm that President Buhari will visit Ogoni land on June 2 to flag-off clean-up of oil spills in the area as recommended in the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) report.
“Buhari would return to Ogoni land where he inaugurated a fish pond in 1984 where the once flourishing pond regrettably had been destroyed by oil pollution.
`
Ogoni land and President Buhari
`The Federal Government is coming back to restore the ecosystem to what it used to be and as such restore the peoples’ source of livelihood.
“We are not just committed to implementing the UNEP report but we are also going beyond that by taking steps to improve security, good governance and economy of the Niger Delta region.
“I can assure that the clean-up exercise is only the beginning, as Mr President is focused on restoring hope to people of the region,” the statement quoted the minister as saying.
Mohammed solicited support of all stakeholders to make the exercise a success.
The statement also quoted Mrs Ibim Semenitari, the Acting Managing Director of NDDC, as saying that the clean was of utmost importance to the commission.
Semenitari lauded the president for taking steps to fulfil his electioneering promise of improving welfare and living conditions of people of Ogoni and others in the region.
“Ogonis are united behind this effort by the Federal Government to clean up their environment, and as such, the people will help in ensuring sustainability of the clean-up,’’ she said.
Semenitari said that NDDC through Niger Delta Regional Development Master Plan Forum would mobilise and coordinate support of various stakeholders to make the clean-up a success.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the UNEP report was released in September 2011, with a call on the Nigeria and multinational oil companies to clean-up the Ogoni land.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/buhari-launch-ogoni-land-clean-june-2/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by dustmalik: 3:07pm On May 30, 2016
We told the wailers to be patience with PMB, but their hatred for him just wouldn't let them see reason. Just one year into office, and he is about cleaning up Ogoni, a place where their hero, GEJ, a Niger deltan, for that matter, never bothered about.

111 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by HungerBAD: 3:07pm On May 30, 2016
Nice.

Buhari working.

About time.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 30, 2016
Why i like PMB
He is very "stubborn "

Despite all that the enemies within did to stop this clean up. .... .
They said it political..... Why coming few days to governorship election rerun in Rivers state?

Wailing wailers,
Is the election not over?
Did APC win?
Let us support this man

132 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by seunmsg(m): 3:50pm On May 30, 2016
The clean up is long overdue. Good to see that this government is finally about to start the clean up despite all the challenges. Kudos to the president for pushing ahead with this, Ogoni land clean up is now about to become a reality.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Jirate(m): 4:09pm On May 30, 2016
Please Wait While The Proposed Visit is Cancelling……………., Bubu is suffering for “Premature Ejacu...tion” this time around, thanks. wink wink

9 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 30, 2016
Buhari the tribal bigot ! angry

Starts clean up of oil spill pollution of Ogoni land in the Niger Delta that a president from the region did not care to do throughout his tenure.

Buhari the tribal bigot would soon also begin construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge in the South East that the same ex-president from the south did not carry out through out his 6years.

Give me this type of tribal bigot any day! grin

180 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by QuotaSystem: 5:38pm On May 30, 2016
This will be the final blow to the scAvengers and the support for militancy in the Niger Delta.

The shame will be on Jonathan and other ND leaders who failed to implement this UNEP report all through his over 5 years as President.

This will show every resonable NDeltan that Buhari is not their enemy, but their immediate leaders.

Kudos President Buhari.

105 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by carinmom(f): 6:00pm On May 30, 2016
As usual the IPOB miscreants and wailers will avoid this thread because they prefer threads that portray PMB as a bad and heartless leader.

God bless Mr President.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by redsconsult(m): 6:25pm On May 30, 2016
Will it stop more bombings of pipeline.... will it shows how clueless the past president is? Will it bring more development to the ogonis land.... if yes .... I think we now have a true leader and president but he is not perfect ... we need to admit that....

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by waxxydude: 6:58pm On May 30, 2016
kenonze:
Why i like PMB
He is very "stubborn "

Despite all that the enemies within did to stop this clean up. .... .
They said it political..... Why coming few days to governorship election rerun in Rivers state?

Wailing wailers,
Is the election not over?
Did APC win?
Let us support this man
We need more people thinking like this..

The clean-up is long over due. My people need a fresh environment earnestly.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by GentleYoung(m): 6:59pm On May 30, 2016
Good move

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by infogenius(m): 7:00pm On May 30, 2016
“Buhari would return to Ogoni land where he inaugurated a fish pond in 1984 where the once flourishing pond regrettably had been destroyed by oil pollution

I have a hunch that nothing good prospers in the hands of this man. And I am not joking with this statement.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 30, 2016
Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by EMMYB0Y(m): 7:01pm On May 30, 2016
After his 4th attempt, bubu got admitted into the higher institution for a four years course. According to an editorial board of the institution, he took 14 courses (4 units) in his first year. He passed 4 with a missed grades of C, D(2) and E and failed the rest. Prior to his admission, he was
referred to as a brilliant chap by the people in his community. This however, earned him the community support. Little did they know that brilliance is different from intelligence. The results of his first academic year has shown how brilliant he is. If his Cumulative Grade Points Average (CGPA) was to be an airtime, it cannot give a missed call to any network. I mean the digits are wallowing in probation. But there is a consolation of another 3 years to right the wrong.
As a patriot, I say Happy Democracy Day!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Burger01(m): 7:02pm On May 30, 2016
....and those haters and destroyers will say Buhari didn't mean well for them. What do we call this gesture from Buhari

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by anonimi: 7:04pm On May 30, 2016

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by twosquare(m): 7:05pm On May 30, 2016
Burger01:
....and those haters and destroyers will say Buhari didn't mean well for them. What do we call this gesture from Buhari
oju aye

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Burger01(m): 7:05pm On May 30, 2016
smiley
Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by slap1(m): 7:05pm On May 30, 2016
There have been other promises...

4 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by seedorfg(m): 7:06pm On May 30, 2016
THE PERSON ABOVE ME IS HIGH ON GBARAMATU WEED

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by wristbangle: 7:06pm On May 30, 2016
Weldone Mr. President. This will be a relief to the people of SS.

If he can achieve this aim plus 2nd Niger bridge, I think the people will understand the current administration meant well for them.

Waiting for NDA and IPOB youths' comments.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by waxxydude: 7:06pm On May 30, 2016
Every right thinking patriot must support this development!

But Mr. president don't come tomorrow to say you've changed your mind cause it'd truly mind "All Promises Changed".

Watching closely...

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 30, 2016
Do not forget:

The regulatory partners, DPR and NOSDRA, who have information from JIVS and who monitor and regulate oil spill clean-up on all Tiers should be fully involved.

The clean-up program should be submitted to these regulatory bodies for EE&E (Efficiency, Effectiveness, Environment) assessment. Regulatory reps. should be nominated to follow-up the clean up exercises.

After clean-up, an independent clean-up certification inspection should be carried out while a monitoring program (EMP) should be instituted after the clean-up to monitor EE&E. The certification should be in JIV form with the Government, Community, Companies and Environmental Rights NGOs participating.

This clean-up has lingered for so long. Let us do it well, do it right, and do it on time. It is better to prevent spills than to clean them up. DPR should constantly monitor these Oil and Gas Companies and ensure that they institute proper practices, procedures and high quality and high integrity assets in the Industry. Vandalism and crude oil theft is also a major contributor to this problem. Greed and Poverty are the vice the government has to tackle.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by ALTERNATEID: 7:08pm On May 30, 2016
anonimi:
When will our president launch AGATU land clean up

What's there to clean up in Agatu? Learn to ignore a thread if you have nothing reasonable to contribute.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 30, 2016
Whatever am interested on how this galloping inflation wil be tackled. Rice now sell for 21k. Ur administration is losing focus.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by anonimi: 7:09pm On May 30, 2016
Burger01:

Just that- a GESTURE.
No more, no less.
All in an effort to get more OIL from the Niger Delta to be shared by his fellow northerners who own the wells and have juicy positions dominating the federal administration.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3754465_textart160516134440_jpeg0cc5bae7112b62e38ab4e4aea21c6bef

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by haske7(f): 7:10pm On May 30, 2016
Story! I'm go say I'm get boil for buttocks that's why he won't come! Like if u believe. That buhari will not turn up!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Burger01(m): 7:10pm On May 30, 2016
twosquare:
oju aye
Well, time will tell. I wish my president well smiley

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by socialmediaman: 7:11pm On May 30, 2016
Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by excel101(m): 7:13pm On May 30, 2016
They've started again o, 2moro President Buhari would come out and deny he said so o. Maybe he will refer Nigerians to Lie Lie Muhammed again.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Launch Ogoni Land Clean-up June 2 by Cubeet: 7:13pm On May 30, 2016
Am a Niger Delta guy, and a proud Wailer.
But if this news about Buhari cleaning up Ogoni land is true, then i support him on this.
He should also Clean up other Niger Delta Communities in Bayelsa, Delta, Cross River and Akwa ibom.
If this cleaning up operations continues, then i see no reason for the Niger Delta Avengers to blow up pipelines...

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ozubulu Killing: Osinbajo's Delegate Led By Ngige Visit Catholic Church In Nnewi / Reps Discuss Nigeria's Position On Morocco's Plan To Join ECOWAS / You Cannot Reap Where You Did Not Sow: A Message To Fela Dutoye And His Co-trave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.