Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) (7674 Views)

Former Oceanic Bank MD,Cecilia Ibru's Son Rode Ibru Dies At 34 / Former Md Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud / "The N13 Billion Nanny Loan" Oceanic Bank To Cecilia Ibru's Ex-Nanny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by rasputinn(m): 10:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
Jimoh Abeggi shut up and pay up,make we too for see borrow grin grin grin
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 25, 2009
Chei! See money laundering. . . Uhm.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 1:31am On Aug 25, 2009
Waziri, 100 EFCC men storm Lagos to arrest debtors
Headlines Aug 25, 2009 By Innocent Anaba &Abdulwahab Abdulah
LAGOS—The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, led by Farida Waziri, will today storm Lagos with 100 operatives and two Mobile Police units to arrest all loan defaulters who fail to meet the seven-day deadline given by  last Tuesday to pay up or have their properties sealed.

Meanwhile, the umbrella body for Nigerian lawyers, the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, has asked  EFCC to follow due process  in the plot to arrest some of the former bank executives, recently relieved of their jobs by the CBN and declared wanted by the commission on Sunday.

Waziri in Lagos
A source close to the commission revealed that seals running into thousands were released to the operatives to seal up property belonging to the loan defaulters.

According to the source, specially designed seals for private jets were also prepared by the agency as most of the defaulters own private aircraft parked at the airports in Lagos.

It was also revealed that the amount paid back so far “is paltry when compared to the magnitude of what the debtors are owing.

The property of the debtors would be sealed up in different parts of Lagos that have been penciled down by the anti-graft agency before the sledge hammer of the apex bank slammed against the banks barely two weeks ago”.

The source explained to Vanguard that “the operatives left early this morning (yesterday) to enable them arrive early and carry out the operations as directed by the chairman as excuses will not be accepted for any failure.”
When asked of the possibility of being influenced by the loan defaulters, the source simply said “our operatives are well paid.

They see this assignment as a challenge than monetary rewards, in short they cannot be influenced by anybody.”
When contacted, Head, Media and Publicity of EFCC, Mr Femi Babafemi confirmed that operatives had been sent to Lagos as the deadline elapses by 12 midnight

NBA asks EFCC to follow due process

Lawyers react

Also, a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Law, LASU, Gbenga Ojo said the EFCC had no such powers to declare them wanted until they got a court injunction to that effect. Ojo said “ EFCC has no such powers to declare them wanted. It is ultra-vires of the power of the EFCC to do that.

They can only investigate the case, but declaring them wanted could only be possible through a court order.  Also, I need to point out that the issue is of two folds, in as much as the EFCC can arrest the bank officials, they cannot arrest the bank customers, except if they have genuine case of fraud against them.

The matter is pure business and contractual agreements with the individual banks.
Their lawyers, in separatereactions, argued that the EFCC has no right to declare them wanted, especially when the matter is before the court.

Akingbola’s counsel, Mr Tunde Fagbohungbe (SAN) said “they cannot declare him wanted because he has not done anything wrong.

The CBN has not accused him of any criminal offence, so they cannot declare him wanted. All the noise that Akingbola had fled the country is incorrect. He is outside the country for a very important engagement and he will soon return.

“They are now busy examining the books of the banks to find something to nail him. But as far as we know, they have not found anything against him. The examination they are now doing is what they should have done before the CBN made the announcement which removed him from office.”

Mr Adeniyi Akintola, representing Mrs Ibru said: “This is the only country where people go to the media on issues they know nothing about. Mrs Ibru is not ordinary Nigerian, she is an eminent one. They know where she lives. She has not gone to hiding.

How then can she be declared wanted? She was invited by the EFCC, she was there and thereafter allowed home. If they still want her, why did they not go to her residence?”

www.nigeriamasterweb.com

See the type of Gestapo society this Sanusi and Waziri want to institute

I did not know EFCC are now bailiffs

In a country where State Governors past and present deep there hands in the treasury, use some part to sponsor the President's election and the President shockingly comes out in public to admit that these folks are his pals and he can't let them down.

How such a government can justify the arrest and criminalizing of people who took loans in the middle of the day from a bank, with agreements signed just that in some cases they have defaulted in payments beats my immagination.
Its even more shocking that Nigerians are condoning such illegality and double standards.

Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 1:55am On Aug 25, 2009
otokx:

Jimoh Ibrahim likes media talk.

i take his words with a pinch of salt.
he talks too much and often talks crap.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 2:09am On Aug 25, 2009
mbulela:

i take his words with a pinch of salt.
he talks too much and often talks crap.
I listened to one interview and i thought to myself, how the fucking hell did he rise up so quick?
He sounded really daft and made little sense throughout!. . .
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:18am On Aug 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

I listened to one interview and i thought to myself, how the fucking hell did he rise up so quick?

i did worse than you.
i listened to a second and even third interview before i gave up.
my exact same sentiments about Mrs. Cecelia Ibru.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:19am On Aug 25, 2009
Jimoh Ibrahim’s Global Fleet Pays N3.1bn to Oceanic
•Advises others to pay and complain later
By Emele Onu, 08.25.2009

Business magnate and Chairman of Global Fleet Group, Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim, yesterday paid N3.1 billion to Oceanic Bank, thereby making good his promise to redeem the indebtedness of his company to the financial institution.
Ibrahim made the payment by a wire transfer even though he argued that his company’s account with Oceanic Bank should be audited for the first time in five years to determine its current status.
He advised others to pay first and complain later, saying that would assist the ongoing banking reform.
Oceanic Bank acknowledged the payment by Global Fleet through a letter dated August 24 and addressed to Ibrahim as the chairman of the company.
The letter which was jointly signed by the bank’s Assistant General Manager, Corporate Banking Group, Robinson Ofomata, and General Manager, Corporate Banking Group, Omotayo Ajani, thanked Ibrahim for his cooperation and banking relationship with the bank.
Oceanic Bank further stated in the letter to Ibrahim and Global Fleet that “the Bank undertakes to refund to you excess charges or debits on the account that is not authorized by you, or interest rate that is not in compliance with our terms of loan as soon as the reconciled account is mutually agreed upon.”
Ibrahim said in a statement yesterday that the loan had been performing and blamed Oceanic Bank for any outstanding in the account on poor banking relationship.
According to the Global Fleet Chairman, Oceanic Bank had in 2007 through a letter dated May 23, 2007 credited Global Fleet account with N1.98 billion being reversal of excess charges and accrued interest on the company’s account.
Ibrahim said: “When a bank by its own admission and confession says they over charged our account with N2 billion, CBN should be on caution as to figure out what exactly the debt profile is and that is why I said that our company’s account with Oceanic Bank should be audited for the first time in five years.”
He said Global Fleet had no reason to stop its relationship with Oceanic Bank and advised the bank to be transparent.
However, the business mogul maintained that the CBN would succeed only if it publishes exactly what everyone owes and avoid computer error that has reduced some people’s debt.
The CBN had last week released the names of debtors to the five troubled banks. The debtors were mostly shareholders and directors who secured loans totaling N747 billion from the banks whose executives were removed for financial mismanagement.
A breakdown of the loans, which were classified as non-performing, indicated that Oceanic Bank Plc had N278.204 billion or 37 per cent in non performing credits; Intercontinental Bank Plc, N210 .903 billion or 28 per cent; Afribank Nigeria Plc, N141.856 billion or 19 per cent; Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, N73.582 billion or 9.8 per cent; and FinBank Plc, N42.445 billion or 5.6 per cent.
Ibrahim and some other persons listed on the list had objected to the values and statuses of the loans credited to their names and companies.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by naijatoday: 3:30am On Aug 25, 2009
so is he admitting or denying that he had non-performing loan
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:37am On Aug 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

"In Nigeria, the rich is only lucky that we do not know his secrets".

the above quote was said by Mayor Akinpelu of the FAME tabloid. it was over a decade ago, while he and his FAME colleagues were having a quarrel with a third party (one of the rich men).
I have never forgotten that quote, Mayor himself might have forgotten it but i have not and it has not been disproved till this day.
i am not holding my breath, either.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by naijatoday: 3:42am On Aug 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

Recession - Print Naira Now - Jimoh Ibrahim

I strongly advise the Federal Government at this time to look at the possibility of printing the naira notes as an urgent solution to recession, if the naira is printed, it's cost of printing will be reasonable as to the cost of depleting the foreign reserve or supporting domestic spending through foreign reserve withdrawal.

If you print our naira now, we would be able to fund government spending, fund infrastructure and fund the seven point agenda. Definitely, printing naira notes will cost inflation; this can be controlled by Treasury bills to mop excess liquidity.

Printing naira notes will reduce interest rates, will increase liquidity, banks will be well funded so as to fund companies, properly funded companies will not cut jobs, they will reduce unemployment, they will fund capacity utilisation and by extension, spending habits will be promoted and this will lead to increased activities at the stock exchange. I know there will be inflation as a challenge but it can be controlled by Treasury bills.

In my view, it will be better to control inflation than to keep spending government reserve.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902250441.html
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:46am On Aug 25, 2009
i was waiting for someone to pull out one of these.
i have heard him long enough to make an opinion.
even idiots make sense once in a while (without even looking into the contents of your extract).
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by naijatoday: 3:51am On Aug 25, 2009
mbulela:

i was waiting for someone to pull out one of these.
i have heard him long enough to make an opinion.
even idiots make sense once in a while (without even looking into the contents of your extract).

After reading the article, that is the day I knew the guy was all talk

I do not even think he knew what he was saying, he was encouraging Zimbabwe style economy were one trillion Zimbabwe dollars is worthless
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:55am On Aug 25, 2009
i did not even bother reading it.
i ignore his comments like a plague.
i guess he was quoting some economists he saw on tv out of context.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by mbulela: 3:56am On Aug 25, 2009
watch out, one of his fans will soon come in here and call us haters.
i am out of here.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by novaman: 7:36am On Aug 25, 2009
The end will surely justify the means. For those who thinks Sanusi is doing the right thing, we shall see the eventual outcome as only time will tell, same goes to bank chiefs and the debtors. Am on the fence; I don't trust what is going, it could be an agenda by some group of people against another, may be we have fogotten the kind of govt we have, like I said earlier "time will tell" my fingers are crossed
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by rasputinn(m): 7:56am On Aug 25, 2009
novaman:

The end will surely justify the means. For those who thinks Sanusi is doing the right thing, we shall see the eventual outcome as only time will tell, same goes to bank chiefs and the debtors. Am on the fence; I don't trust what is going, it could be an agenda by some group of people against another, may be we have fogotten the kind of govt we have, like I said earlier "time will tell" my fingers are crossed

No you're not.YOU DON'T TRUST SANUSI and wish he hadn't taken the steps he took
On the other hand,I like the steps he took,but I'm watching keenly for the subsequent steps,hope he does not confirm the ethnic agenda fears in some quarters

Oh,BTW I'm not impressed one bit with the credibility-seeking moves of the EFCC,they could try all they might to profit from this event,but they(EFCC) still remain a joke of an institution as long as Ibori is walking free
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by TEEZERO(m): 7:57am On Aug 25, 2009
Mr. Babafemi confirmed that some of the debtors have started responding, "As at this afternoon, we had information that some of them had made payments in excess of N10 billion into two banks, and some of the debtors who could not raise money have been coming forward with documents of their properties to make commitment."

Sources at the commission confirmed that one of those whose names were published by the Central Bank last week, Jimoh Ibrahim of Global Fleet, brought a bank instrument of N1 billion to the EFCC at Abuja on Monday.

N8b?
N3b?
N1b?
What did he pay?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Afam(m): 7:57am On Aug 25, 2009
novaman:

Whether Sanusi is carrying out an agenda or not the exercise is a welcome development.

Why are people comfortable with less than 1% of the population controlling 99% of the wealth of this country if those people are not direct or indirect beneficiaries?

@loan repayment,

I thought the man wanted to repay N8B and not N3B.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by TEEZERO(m): 8:13am On Aug 25, 2009
[b]Jimoh Ibrahim, Ali Dangote pay N6b[/b]By Our ReporterPublished TodayNewsRating: Unrated
Rockson pays Intercontinental
Frontline businessman Jimoh Ibrahim, yesterday paid N3billion to Oceanic International Bank Plc in settlement of his company’s debt.

On May 18, the bank wrote Global Fleet Group, putting its debt at N8billion.

Besides, it acknowledged the payment of N3billion between last December and May.

Ibrahim’s payment of N3billion yesterday followed the allegation by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) that his firm is "not a performing debtor" of Oceanic Bank. CBN claimed he is owing the bank N14billion, but Ibrahim put the debt at N8billion.

A letter signed by Omotayo Ajani, General Manager, Corporate Banking Group, acknowledged receipt of the payment.

The letter reads: "We write to acknowledge receipt of your transfer instruction of the sum of £11,618,000.00 (Eleven Million, Six Hundred and Eighteen Thousand Pounds) being naira equivalent of N3,000,116,140.00 (Three billion, One Hundred and Sixteen Thousand, One Hundred and Forty Naira only) to be applied on receipt for payment on account of your outstanding balances with the bank in the following accounts:

Global Fleet Oil and Gas Ltd 0011201008448

Global Fleet Industries 0011101028564

Fleet Hotels Ltd 0011201008438

NICON Group 0011101016319

Barr. Jimoh Ibrahim 0013003000359

"The bank undertakes to refund to you any excess charges or debits on the account that is not authorised by you, or interest rate that is not in compliance with our terms of loan as soon as the reconciled account is mutually agreed upon.

"We thank you for your continued cooperation."

Reacting, Ibrahim said his loan was performing and blamed Oceanic Bank for any outstanding in the account which he attributed to poor banking relationship.

According to Ibrahim, "in 2007 alone, Oceanic Bank by a letter dated 23

rd May 2007, credited Global Fleet account with N1.98billion being reversal of excess charges and accrued interest on the company’s account.

He said: "When a bank by its own admission and confession says it overcharged our account with N2billion, CBN should be cautious; it should figure out what exactly the debt profile is. This is why I said that our company’s account with Oceanic Bank should be audited for the first time in five years."

Ibrahim said Global Fleet had no reason to stop its relationship with Oceanic Bank but advised the bank to be transparent.

He said CBN would succeed only if it publishes exactly what everyone is owing and avoids computer errors that have reduced some people’s debts.

Intercontinental Bank Plc yesterday confirmed that Rockson Engineering Ltd has made some payments to defray its debt.

The bank said the payments were made following the CBN/Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) joint examination of its books.

Last Tuesday, CBN said the company was owing the bank N36,989,685.84, but the firm denied the claim, putting its debt at N14,423,291,589.49.

Also yesterday, it was learnt that Alhaji Ali Dangote, owner of Dansa Oil and Gas Limited had paid Intercontinental Bank N3billion. He is said to be owing N8.3billion.
http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/15645/1/Jimoh-Ibrahim-Ali-Dangote-pay-N6b/Page1.html
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by bibiking1(m): 8:37am On Aug 25, 2009
My guess is Jimoh Ibrahim printed the N3 Billion paid it into one of his accounts and issued a cheque!.,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

Can we find any dumber fellow than this guy? One minute he is insisting that he owes nobody, the second he is paying and advising the rest to pay and ask questions later?,,,,,,,,,,,,lovely country
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by kokoA(m): 9:02am On Aug 25, 2009
Did he clear all his debts?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 25, 2009
so jimoh, did you pay cheesy cheesy

we haven't heard anything on th news. . .

abi waziri's 1000 officers mr bill collectors have already whisked you off to kirikiri ? cheesy cheesy
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by larez(m): 9:35am On Aug 25, 2009
I am surprised that you guys have not picked up what is really going on here and the method that the Banks were using to defraud their investors. It is all written out here in black and white, but very few can figure it out.

Many of the people accused have made claims that the amounts in the Banks books are wrong. They are cooked up by the Banks. They cook up these outstanding balances to make it look like they are earning huge profits. This is what they advertise to promote their stocks. Wow!! very sophisticated criminals. They simple wink at the creditor and assure them that these things will clear up while they continue with the scam. You guys really need to pay attention and see through all the media stories for the real hidden ones.

We now all know the 419 Banks use to defraud stock holders - Fake Balance Books.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 9:55am On Aug 25, 2009
bibiking1:

My guess is Jimoh Ibrahim printed the N3 Billion paid it into one of his accounts and issued a cheque!.,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
Can we find any dumber fellow than this guy? One minute he is insisting that he owes nobody, the second he is paying and advising the rest to pay and ask questions later?,,,,,,,,,,,,lovely country
Dont mind the confused idiot!
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 9:57am On Aug 25, 2009
mbulela:

"In Nigeria, the rich is only lucky that we do not know his secrets".
the above quote was said by Mayor Akinpelu of the FAME tabloid. it was over a decade ago, while he and his FAME colleagues were having a quarrel with a third party (one of the rich men).
I have never forgotten that quote, Mayor himself might have forgotten it but i have not and it has not been disproved till this day.
i am not holding my breath, either.
To the quote highlighted above, it is indeed true!
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 25, 2009
Folks I am no fan of Jimoh Ibrahim

But speak the truth and it shall set you free

the man never said he owed nobody.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 10:06am On Aug 25, 2009
mikeansy:

OK!
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by larez(m): 10:15am On Aug 25, 2009
And my post disappears. SEUN!!!!! There is a NAZI loose here that is censoring posts oh!!!  SEUNNNNNNN!!!! MY POST DISAPPEARED BECAUSE I SPOKE TRUTH OHHH!!!

Seun must have handled biz. The post reappeared grin
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by nex(m): 10:16am On Aug 25, 2009
Like somebody asked earlier,

N14 billion?
N8 billion?
N3 billion?
N1 billion?

How much exactly?

Well, it was the same Jimoh that outline his strategy by which he wanted to take over Total by building filling stations for them faster than they can pay for. That was the most outlandish business proposal I'd heard at the time and it obviously failed.

That was of course till I heard his Naira rain idea to combat the credit crunch.

Is he not the head of the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by larez(m): 10:17am On Aug 25, 2009
;d
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by IFELEKE(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2009
mikeansy:

But speak the truth and it shall set you free

the man never said he owed nobody.
of course he is not owing anyone in his personal capacity.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Afam(m): 10:30am On Aug 25, 2009
IFELEKE:

of course he is not owing anyone in his personal capacity.

Take a look at the content in bold below

TEE ZERO:

[color=#000099]The letter reads: "We write to acknowledge receipt of your transfer instruction of the sum of £11,618,000.00 (Eleven Million, Six Hundred and Eighteen Thousand Pounds) being naira equivalent of N3,000,116,140.00 (Three billion, One Hundred and Sixteen Thousand, One Hundred and Forty Naira only) to be applied on receipt for payment on account of your outstanding balances with the bank in the following accounts:

Global Fleet Oil and Gas Ltd 0011201008448

Global Fleet Industries 0011101028564

Fleet Hotels Ltd 0011201008438

NICON Group 0011101016319

Barr. Jimoh Ibrahim 0013003000359

"The bank undertakes to refund to you any excess charges or debits on the account that is not authorised by you, or interest rate that is not in compliance with our terms of loan as soon as the reconciled account is mutually agreed upon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biafra: British High Commissioner Visits Kanu In DSS Prison / Voter Apathy Mars Rep Bye-election In Lagos / PIB: A Bad Deal For Host Communities By Oke Umurhohwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.