Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,745 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) (7666 Views)

Former Oceanic Bank MD,Cecilia Ibru's Son Rode Ibru Dies At 34 / Former Md Of Oceanic Bank, Cecilia Ibru, Convicted Of Bank Fraud / "The N13 Billion Nanny Loan" Oceanic Bank To Cecilia Ibru's Ex-Nanny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
kokoA:

Has he paid? Its almost close of business for today o

lol

grin grin grin
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nezan(m): 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2009
kokoA:

any confirmation??
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2009
kokoA:

grin cheesy grin
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by axeman85(m): 4:10pm On Aug 24, 2009
neither am i holding a debate with, and have no problem with anyones opinion but if you are making a comment then it should be a right comment, and not trying to justify what is not right on here. period.  

and i was also referring to a comment made by youngmonnie
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by axeman85(m): 4:10pm On Aug 24, 2009
well its 30mins to close of business so letswait and see, but i wont be suprised if they come and say he has paid.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Afam(m): 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2009
tpia.:

there are different types and levels of businesses.

He's owing N8 billion- that's a pointer.

What's my business with the amount he is owing?

His statement was that businesses cannot survive without loan, a statement that is false.

Types of businesses and levels of businesses do not in anyway justify the wrong claim.

And trying to justify or excuse the statement is also an impossible task.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by henrypep: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
no business can survive without bank loans.cbn made a mistake by not verifying if the loan is performing or not.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Afam(m): 4:17pm On Aug 24, 2009
mikeansy:

@Afam

if you have plans to expand your business there is nothing wrong to access loans from a bank to do so.
That is how an organised society works.

My not using any bank loans for my businesses does not mean that I am against using bank loans. Of course, people are using bank loans and succeeding so I cannot fault the use of bank loans for businesses.

My comments were to correct a wrong notion about business and loans.

The interest rates are way too high and that is why a lot of people default as you may end up working to repay the interest and not grow the business you collected the loans for in the first place.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by otokx(m): 4:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
Jimoh Ibrahim likes media talk.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2009
Afam:

My not using any bank loans for my businesses does not mean that I am against using bank loans. Of course, people are using bank loans and succeeding so I cannot fault the use of bank loans for businesses.

My comments were to correct a wrong notion about business and loans.

The interest rates are way too high and that is why a lot of people default as you may end up working to repay the interest and not grow the business you collected the loans for in the first place.

absolutely right
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by dree1: 4:46pm On Aug 24, 2009
Any news ? The time now is 4.47. Has he paid ?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by kokoA(m): 4:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
dree1:

His on his way to the bank maybe undecided
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by dree1: 4:51pm On Aug 24, 2009
grin grin grin

LOL
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
if he has paid we will see it on PM News
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by kokoA(m): 5:07pm On Aug 24, 2009
oyb:

if he has paid we will see it on PM News

So guys go grab your copy now and feel me in. Am waiting.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by bibiking1(m): 5:25pm On Aug 24, 2009
dree1:

His cheque has to go for clearing!!!!,,,,,,,,,,and guess what? He probably took a facility from another Bank to offset this one!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by novaman: 5:31pm On Aug 24, 2009
I don't understand why people are so quick to hate the man simply becos they believe Sanusi is doing the right thing, regrdless of Sanusi position or the bank chiefs; my take is that before any loan is given their must be an agreement and the only time when one could be accused of wrong doing is when that person have been found to have defaulted in the payment processes.

For instance; if I collect a loan from my friend and promise to pay back in 3 installments on the first day of every month; I should be expected to complete the payment at the given date. So if I am unable to pay the first installment as promised I should be able to explain to him why I failed and if he accept my explanation, then I may be given a second opporunity to correct myself; even if I fail 3 times, it still depend on him whether to accept or reject.

Given another senario; if I am able to pay the first and second installment within the 1st and 2nd month as promised; I don't think that my friend has the right to come to me before the 1st day of the 3rd month forcing me to pay since I have not shown any sign of default.

So coming to the matter before us; if Jimoh Ibrahim has been found to have defaulted in any way then the CBN/EFCC should prosecute him but if he has not done any wrong doing, so why force him to pay; I think the the CBN should be careful of sending wrong signals becos banks will be warry of lending money even to the young enterprenuers planning to settup a business or boost the capital of his business. Visit a microfinance or any of the banks and ask for a small loan and you will see their reaction. We have to be very critical when this kind of matter is brought before us as we might also be sending wrong signals to the outside world.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by kokoA(m): 5:34pm On Aug 24, 2009
bibiking1:

His cheque has to go for clearing!!!!,,,,,,,,,,and guess what? He probably took a facility from another Bank to offset this one!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

And that bank is due for audit tomorrow.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Afam(m): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
novaman:

So coming to the matter before us; if Jimoh Ibrahim has been found to have defaulted in any way then the CBN/EFCC should prosecute him but if he has not done any wrong doing, so why force him to pay; I think the the CBN should be careful of sending wrong signals becos banks will be warry of lending money even to the young enterprenuers planning to settup a business or boost the capital of his business. Visit a microfinance or any of the banks and ask for a small loan and you will see their reaction. We have to be very critical when this kind of matter is brought before us as we might also be sending wrong signals to the outside world.

Funny enough you seem not to understand that the reason why the young businessman is denied loan is because the bulk of the funds have been given to the big guys who don't even need collaterals to access the loans.

About CBN sending wrong messages and forcing anyone to pay you must understand that the money in question does not belong to the banks but to depositors and shareholders so the CBN's job is to ensure that depositors funds are safe because if things get out of hand it is the same CBN that will be held responsible.

The moment you void a contract you cannot be talking about your right and when it comes to non performing loan the debtor has no right to determine how the debt will be settled because to begin with the the debtor failed to do his/her own part.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by naylove(m): 6:00pm On Aug 24, 2009
Mr Jimoh,
Please shame the bad mouths and repay the loans. . it's no crime to take loans.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by chosen04(f): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2009

Funny enough you seem not to understand that the reason why the young businessman is denied loan is because the bulk of the funds have been given to the big guys who don't even need collaterals to access the loans.

About CBN sending wrong messages and forcing anyone to pay you must understand that the money in question does not belong to the banks but to depositors and shareholders so the CBN's job is to ensure that depositors funds are safe because if things get out of hand it is the same CBN that will be held responsible.

The moment you void a contract you cannot be talking about your right and when it comes to non performing loan the debtor has no right to determine how the debt will be settled because to begin with the the debtor failed to do his/her own part.

@ Afam, u have just spoken the trust of the matter. Infact u hit the nail on the head. They have made millions of Naira has Profits from these loans, so why make noise about repaying it.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by sleekymag(m): 6:31pm On Aug 24, 2009
There's an ideology in Corporate Finance that sometimes it pays to have a company that is not only financed by equity but also by debt. It can be proven that when the capital structure of your company is financed solely by equity, your profits at the end of ur financial year could be less than when it is financed jointly by equity and debt (debentures and what have you).

So some entrepreneurs sometimes apply borrowed funds into their capital structure, though it doesn't have to exceed the equity level, cos of more returns on their investment, To cut the long story short, corporate finance soemtimes encourages debts for shareholders who want to maximise their returns,
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by nex(m): 6:46pm On Aug 24, 2009
info@oceanicbanknigeria.com
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by tarano: 7:22pm On Aug 24, 2009
I have nothing about loans I just think the process of securing loans should be more democratic and fair to reflect the generality of Nigerias.

It is not fair and just for one individual in a polity like Nigeria to be given a Loan of 1Billion Naira, There should be democratization of the process, why give one person 1Billion if you can give 1000 people 1 Million Naira loan, even for the same business idea or plan

How industrialist should be taught to sell there ideas with more people and share the both the benefits and risks,

Nigeria does not need 10 Dangotes to reduce unemployment and poverty but 10,000 mini dangotes that is how to create an economy and people based industrialization,
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
tarano:

I have nothing about loans I just think the process of securing loans should be more democratic and fair to reflect the generality of Nigerias.

It is not fair and just for one individual in a polity like Nigeria to be given a Loan of 1Billion Naira, There should be democratization of the process, why give one person 1Billion if you can give 1000 people 1 Million Naira loan, even for the same business idea or plan

How industrialist should be taught to sell there ideas with more people and share the both the benefits and risks,

Nigeria does not need 10 Dangotes to reduce unemployment and poverty but 10,000 mini dangotes that is how to create an economy and people based industrialization,

if that is what folks are hoping will come of this process people should be ready for disappointment

there is no democracy in business

Banks are only able to loan to those they think can pay. How they come to that conclusion will ultimately be decided by the bank.

CBN can make changes to try to standardize the process, but the decision will lie with these banks.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by totalfact(m): 8:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
The unfortunate thing is that,we the customers of the affected are being blatantly deceived by the staffs of the 'Questionable Banks' .
I was in one Intercontinental bank in yenagoa,to make enquiry,they(staffs) reacted as if nothing has happened.
Who is deceiving who?
Muguns! M-u-M-u!
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by pcicero(m): 9:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
He must have paid by now. braggard angry
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by nex(m): 9:22pm On Aug 24, 2009
Ya think?
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by Tsiya(m): 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2009
So the guy got the money and he refuse to pay untill now.

Some Nigerians irrespective of their social/Economic status they hav to show their Area Boy mentality.
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by adamawa: 9:36pm On Aug 24, 2009
it is amazing to see Nigerians reacting to issue this way.Some are praising Lamido for a job well done, others see him as actor acting scripts given to him already. With all modesty, he did a very good job to audit he Banks book. But why the hurry to release result when you 've not even done half.I learnt there was a story in Vanguard since March of what is happening now.Loans can be classified to Substandard,Doubtful and loss.He should have given them opportunity to defend themselves, Akingbola has been crying foul about Sanusi before he became CBN governor. There is politics everywhere, Cecilia Ibru was among CEO's that lobbied Yaradua's wife to retain Soludo. UBA got wind of the audit ,non performing Loans were rebooked as fresh loans.I CAN STATE CATEGORICALLY NO BANK IS HEALTHY, First Bank made provision for N26billion , dividend was paid from reserve. the higher the risk, the higher the income. You don't solve problems by creating more problem.

Expanded Discount window was encouraged by CBN instead of interbank because of lower interest rate, all these Banks were still meeting there obligation to both creditors and depositors.

AKINGBOLA AND IBRU should run for their lives, they will leave to fight another day. Any educated, industralist and people with conscience will not do what Sanusi did.These Banks worth trillions,you can not come with N100 billion to take over. He should come out with reports of healthy Banks,they went back to UBA and Zenith after initial audit. Let government pay petroleum marketers they guaranteed about N70billion naira collected from Oceanic Bank, HE DRAMA CONTINUES
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by MrCrackles(m): 9:43pm On Aug 24, 2009
Has the bastard paid up yet or are we still running round in circles
Does anyone know what the latest is?
Oceanic bank must not accept cheques oo, it can bounce!
Ghana must go, trailer, lorry, everything - Load it all up with money! grin
Re: Jimoh Ibrahim: I'll Pay Today! (Oceanic Bank Loan) by ikennahill: 10:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
come and see america wonder, come and see america wonder!
i told my friend that what we need is a jerry rawlings in naija
see what sanusi is doing,
even if he has ulterior motive
why people go borro money and refuse to pay back untill forced to pay
if say sanusi no publish name
who for know say 8 billion for come out in a day from naija debtor,

soon , we will get the real rawlings to wipe out all these bum bu clads,
Yes soon and very soon God wil bring a moses,let these stupid people we call leaders continue,
what a shame,what a nation, what an irony,giant of Africa indeed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Challenges Jonathan To Debate / Reps To Probe Apc’s Alleged Hacking Of INEC Database / APGA Suspends Victor Ike Oye As National Chairman For Gross Misconduct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.