Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,599 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving (21456 Views)

Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / How To Save Fuel When Driving / How to Stay Awake When Driving (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by WeedyGonzalez(m): 7:22am On Jun 01, 2016
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Ahasuerus2(m): 7:27am On Jun 01, 2016
ladyF:
So people should not overtake on 3rd mainland. grin
You didn't announce your presence today?
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 01, 2016
Bullion van drives slowly?
Maybe in Gabon, 'cos the ones in Nigeria move very fast...it remain for them to activate "flight mode" sef.

Overtaking from the right is inevitable most times, some people would cuddle the speed lane and be crawling there. One has no choice than to overtake from the right.

Rajosh:
it's like I'm an aggressive driver. It's fun seeing someone trying to overtake you but can't. I love to frustrate anyone trying to overtake me. #TeamFastAndFurious.
You are another category the OP forgot to add. People shouldn't overtake your type, because you are obviously looking for who would accompany you to heaven.
Driving isn't competition, don't enter road and start frustrating innocent and random road users.

6 Likes

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Vince77(m): 7:40am On Jun 01, 2016
Rajosh:
it's like I'm an aggressive driver. It's fun seeing someone trying to overtake you but can't. I love to frustrate anyone trying to overtake me. #TeamFastAndFurious.
God help u d day u frustrate a driver not knowing he is an army man. Na dat day u drive motor finish. Lol

2 Likes

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Vince77(m): 7:44am On Jun 01, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
Bullion van drives slowly?
Maybe in Gabon, 'cos the ones in Nigeria move very fast...it remain for them to activate "flight mode" sef.

Overtaking from the right is inevitable most times, some people would cuddle the speed lane and be crawling there. One has no choice than to overtake from the right.

You are another category the OP forgot to add. People shouldn't overtake your type, because you are obviously looking for who would accompany you to heaven.
Driving isn't competition, don't enter road and start frustrating innocent and random road users.
Billion van drivers are slow when on the high way but fast within town/city.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 01, 2016
Vince77:

Billion van drivers are slow when on the high way but fast within town/city.
I have seen a very fast one on Aba-Umuahia road o...maybe that one wasn't following due procedure. grin
Isn't it even stupid to be slow on high ways and fast within a town where people are moving about and crossing roads?
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by lonelydora: 7:57am On Jun 01, 2016
ladyF:
So people should not overtake on 3rd mainland. grin

You are too funny. I was going to ask that.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by OlujobaSamuel: 8:00am On Jun 01, 2016
how about 3rd MB, make I no overtake there too. op, abeg some of those things na for sane society, 9ja na special case ooo, you see person chatting on wheel and won't join service lane, in short, if you are thought how to drive in Lagos, you have every tendency to fail a driving test outside Nigeria.
I remember going out with a family friend our ours that stays in Italy and my mum, while driving, I had short encounter with a Libra motors bus, she said I should have waited, despite waiting for some other vehicles before that bus, I just look her, ask, mummy, you wan get home this night or you wan stay here eat dinner, that was the last caution I had from her, when we got home, she said Samuel, you sef don sabi Lagos style wella o, thanks sey you no dey drive too rough, I was like WTF, you don change from rough to too rough.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Chijosky(m): 8:08am On Jun 01, 2016
Today is first of June so let me run to Peace mass and AKTC and use this write up to wish them happy new month...
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by casspersteve: 8:08am On Jun 01, 2016
lipsrsealed me wey no sabi drive abegi make I shut up ohh
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by casspersteve: 8:10am On Jun 01, 2016
grin As my popsi no get motor na make I dy read comment
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by OlujobaSamuel: 8:20am On Jun 01, 2016
Chijosky:
Today is first of June so let me run to Peace mass and AKTC and use this write up to wish them happy new month...
na ojuelegba u dey stay?
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Emeka71(m): 8:25am On Jun 01, 2016
Rajosh:
Sounds silly.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Chijosky(m): 8:37am On Jun 01, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

na ojuelegba u dey stay?
No
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by MKO4ever(m): 8:41am On Jun 01, 2016
AutosBay:

1) ON A BRIDGE: Avoid overtaking on bridges, bridges are dangerous places to overtake as you don't have other places to go than inside water or collide with opposing cars if other cars suddenly appear as you try to overtake.
How about on third mainland bridge?

1 Like

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Liljeez(m): 8:56am On Jun 01, 2016
Peace Mass Transit will not hear dis one now oh....
Their own 'modus operandi' is KILL THEM ALL
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by k4kenny(f): 9:01am On Jun 01, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:
Nigerian drivers overtake on all lanes. In fact, sometimes you are left with no choice but to overtake on the right side because slow drivers love to hug the fast lane. You will see some fools in the fast lane driving leisurely chatting crap on their phones without knowing that they are being stupid. It is terribly frustrating driving correctly cos you end up looking like you are driving all wrong!

Abi o. Especially on Lag-Ibadan express way, where those massive trucks like move at snail speed on the fast lane! Biko, how will it be possible to overtake from the left in that scenario. Anyways good points made there by the OP. I've seen quite a few overtakings gone awry.

1 Like

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by FlynnRyder(m): 9:11am On Jun 01, 2016
Always horn before overtaking. Let the driver in front know you are about to overtake.

1 Like

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by wacoj(m): 9:20am On Jun 01, 2016
Nice one!
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by professore(m): 9:33am On Jun 01, 2016
I call this expert advice,nice one.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by toprealman: 9:58am On Jun 01, 2016
When driving in Aba or Aba-like terrain.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by uzzyphilip(m): 10:22am On Jun 01, 2016
lagos drivers are victims of all these driving offences, all angle and sides of the roads can be overtake so far u are driving in lagos roads, if u drive to stay safe u might end up on traffic all day long, bt if your brake is really upto the task,maneouvre your way out.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by dfos2k(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
16. never overtake when you are not sure how much fuel you have left in the car grin
so true! During the scarcity crunch,I was trying to make a u turn & wala fuel ⛽. It was a horror show thank God I wasn't hit by oncoming.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by dahme147(m): 10:40am On Jun 01, 2016
Lmaoooo
GAZZUZZ:
16. never overtake when you are not sure how much fuel you have left in the car grin
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Fogman(m): 11:11am On Jun 01, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

On point, especially now we buy fuel in "trickles"
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by kuntash: 11:36am On Jun 01, 2016
Nice right up..

explanation with pictures however, should have been better
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Ladipodeal: 11:37am On Jun 01, 2016
If you've recently changed your serpentine belt(aka fan belt) don't overtake on a tiny road. Most new serpentine belt fake.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by bedfordng(m): 11:42am On Jun 01, 2016
nice tips
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by uvalued(m): 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
AutosBay:
My focus here is to open your eyes to places you must not overtake a vehicle in your front of you on narrow roads, may be this write up will save many souls, may be it will even save your own.

Researchers at Nottingham University determined the following statistics when studying police records of overtaking accidents:

35% hit a vehicle turning right as the overtaking vehicle was attempting to pass

16% hit a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction

10% side swiped the vehicle being overtaken
8% lost control during whilst overtaking or returning to the nearside lane

6% hit a vehicle that was turning or crossing at a junction

14% involved 'undertaking' (passing on the left)
5% resulted from evasive action taken by a driver when attempting to avoid someone else's risky overtaking manoeuvre

If you are driving your car adhere to what you about to read here and if you are in public Vehicles you may remind the driver about these If you discover he is making these mistakes that can be fatal, do this without distracting him. Please don't overtake in the following places:

1) ON A BRIDGE: Avoid overtaking on bridges, bridges are dangerous places to overtake as you don't have other places to go than inside water or collide with opposing cars if other cars suddenly appear as you try to overtake.

2) ON A BEND: When there is a bend, please don't overtake no matter how clear you think the road is,it is very dangerous as you can't see the front, another car may be coming.

3) ON A MOUNTAIN: like in a bend, mountains, hills are wrong places to overtake you can't see the front clearly and you may not be able to speed enough to overtake and avoid colliding with traffic from the opposite direction.

4) SHARP SLOPES: It is also dangerous to overtake as your brake system may not work the way you predict.

5) TO THE RIGHT: Don't overtake to the right of the vehicle in your front on narrow roads,you are only permitted by Nigeria law to overtake on the left.

6) WHEN THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF YOU SIGNAL IT WANT TO TURN THE LEFT: Remember you are only allow to overtake by the left side, but when the vehicle in front of you signal it want to turn  to the left don't overtake, please let the vehicle turn before you move on.

7) WHEN YOU CAN NOT SEE THE FRONT CLEARLY: If you cannot see the front clearly for any reason please don't overtake.

cool WHEN IT IS RAINING: When it rains heavily don't overtake because the road may be slippery and your visibility is low.

9) WHEN YOU ARE FOLLOWING CONVOY OF FAST MOVING CARS: Avoid overtaking fast moving cars in convoy it will be dangerous to do that.

10) WHEN FOLLOWING CBN BULLION VANS: Central Bank Bullion Vans normally travel between states in convoy of heavily armed vehicles and they expect road users to keep a distance of several meters away from them and never try to overtake them, this is for security reason. So don't try to overtake them though they do drive slowly. You have to follow them for as long as they are in your front, if you try to overtake them they may shoot you taking you for an armed robber.

11) WHEN THE ROAD IS TOO NARROW:  some roads are too narrow to take two vehicles at the same time, avoid overtaking in these kinds of roads.

12) WHEN THE ROAD IS SLIPPERY: Rain, water, Slipped oil, swampy areas are known to be slippery, be cautious about overtaking in these kinds of areas.

13) AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS: Avoid overtaking aggressive drivers. These are drivers who increase their speed whenever you try to overtake them so as to prevent you from overtaking. These kinds of drivers sees the road as a race track, they are dangerous drivers and can easily cause road mishap.

For your safety and that of others, avoid overtaking these kind of drivers, you don't need to prove you are faster or better than him, please don't race to the Cemetery.

14) WHEN YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE A VEHICLE COMING FROM THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION : Don't assume the car is far, your judgement may be totally wrong, many people got to the grave before they realize their mistakes. It is safer not to overtake when the oncoming car is already in view, please be careful.

15) WHEN DRIVING IN THE NIGHT: Driving in the night involves great caution and carefulness, if you cannot see clearly please don't overtake, if you don't have good eyesight don't drive in the night at all, if you must do it with all carefulness, drive in such a way that you will live to drive for a long time.

https://m.modernghana.com/lifestyle/7405/15-places-you-must-never-overtake-the-car-in-front-of-you-wh.html
B4 i gat am thk uuu
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Rajosh(m): 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
Emeka71:
Sounds silly.
thank you sir. Criticizing me as if you're a saint.
Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by Innomach(m): 1:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
agogoeyo3:
Happy New Month Nairalanders and Happy
Birthday to me.....
Congrats!

1 Like

Re: 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving by gabolak(m): 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2016
The most important rule of overtaking is ; ALWAYS HOOT (press your car horn) B4 OVERTAKING. This will alert d vehicle in your front to know ur intentions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Incredible Parking Fails You Can’t Pull Off No Matter How Hard You Try (photo / Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic / Let’s Laugh Together And Also Learn From My Funny Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.