Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,839 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:38 AM

Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich (51041 Views)

How Can A Person Living In Nigeria Become Rich? / Nigeria’s CBN Is Printing Money To Keep The Govt Afloat & Alarms Are Ringing. / Answer To: Why Can't A Country Keep On Printing Money And Become Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by Davozy: 3:49am On Jun 02, 2016
Georgry:
Hello Nairalanders....

Knowing fully that a country have the right to print money as much as they desire,and their is no limit to the quantity of money a country can print, this question comes to my mind:

Why can't a country just keep printing money to the stage that it will be enough for every body in the country to be rich..

Economist in the house your explanation is needed here.....

In inflation, everything gets valuable except money. This is something every country fears. You end up using large sum of money in purchasing very little goods or services.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by PentiumPro(f): 4:47am On Jun 02, 2016
Respect55:

English analyst, so wat answer have u
given at d end of your analysis?

NUTIN.

You are the most deficient. U can't even punctuate ur write-up properly.

Smh

I don't normally reply kids like you.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by tsdarkside(m): 4:49am On Jun 02, 2016
musicwriter:

Strong army would come later. What we and other third world countries need immediately is find our way to science, and begin building our own airplanes, ships, fast train, cars, submarines. Name them!. Everybody would become equal, and western powers would get stuck with their greed.

As it stands now, the rest of the world is in a neo-capitalist slavery still serving the same old ancient slave masters. As you put it "America = Europe".

People that follow me, if you watch above videos you'll understand why I've always argued the US is a slave nation, and the danger is that they're trying to pass their debt to the rest of the world.

the problem with your strategie is: they will not allow you to reach that stage to be self-reliant.....they will set all types of confusions for you....pitching your brothers against you(boko brosis,biafrans,ghaneans,camerounians and many more),full scale media propaganda(very effective),manipulate your leaders(jonathan,kanu)...their is a lot of ways to disrupt a nation...read sun tzu and understand what is in their minds...

i say build first your army out as good as possible,so that they are afraid of you....screw respect,put fear of you in their hearths....
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by 19naia(m): 7:01am On Jun 02, 2016
Money is a bill or note similar to a reciept. It does not carry the real value. What carries the real value is the goods and services that money serves to note. You cannot print money beyond the amount of goods and services for it to note. Money is printed/minted in increasingly large amounts in every growing economy, but if it outpaces the economy too much, money will be so plenty while goods and services will decline.
If every one had excess money to spend without need to produce something or perform a service, very few things would be produced and very few services would be performed. Eventually it will be scarcity where no matter how much money you have, there will be no one willing to be a laborer to build your house, farm your food, repair your car and so on. Once scarcity hits, prices will go up and people will bid high with their money to be the one to get the last item available. Because we cannot eat or drink money.
There is a better chance in abolishing money than super sizing it's availability. Just imagine every one being rich today and ready to go on vacation at the Sheraton. It will become clear that someone has to maintain the hotel rooms, swimming pool, cook food and make drinks. It will become clear when every vacationing guest has to do all of the work themsleves, that life requires work to be good and money is just a note to record a value that only work and products of work have.

Kuwait does a unique thing. It has a government grant to all of it's native citizens equal to a sufficient monthly salary to drive a new car and live in a nice house while eating and dressing comfortably. Free money. But, they have Oil to sell to bring in money even though their native citizens don't need to work. What they do is bring in up to 80% of their occupying population as foreign workers from poor countries to work for them while they live like kings. But it has the ill effect of requiring a somewhat slave class to offset the imbalance of those who do not work but spend money.
Even with global Free market economy, many well profiting companies are global for the very reason of exploiting semi-slave class countries as workers. It passes because those countries do not have good economies to do any better for themsleves. But it has the ironic effect of being exactly what contributed to China's rise to super power economy now. China started out as a slave class country used as a labor market for the world. The citizens have a rich country now but the framework of a cheap labor market still persists and keeps a good portion of the population in a semi slave like lifestyle. The Hardest working country by sheer productivity and manpower, has risen to top wealth, China. Work is the real value when it produces goods and services. Please be sure to inform your regional pilfering politicians of this truth.
The truth of economy is that it is best when money is ignored while production and trade of real goods and services is the main focus. Then you will see how much of a senseless burden upon the world and economy the filthy rich people can be, those who have money far exceeding any goods or services they could produce by themselves. Those rich politicians with no works to show behind their wealth other than hands in the pockets of others who labour for those fruits.
Maybe it will be good to make all people equally wealthy because then they will all know scarcity and decide to work for everything they want. No one will want to be another mans pseudo slave, but rather all people work together for common good and equality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by Respect55(m): 7:21am On Jun 02, 2016
PentiumPro:

I don't normally reply kids like you.
Neither do I have time for mediocre in disguised form of knowledge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by PentiumPro(f): 7:56am On Jun 02, 2016
Respect55:

[s] Neither do I have time for mediocre in disguised form of knowledge[/s]
swerve!
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by Adekorya: 9:05am On Jun 02, 2016
Make I just sit down dey learn.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by Respect55(m): 9:25am On Jun 02, 2016
PentiumPro:

swerve!
Get urslf busy n stop trailing me girl
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by cecegorz(m): 10:17am On Jun 02, 2016
nextstep:
You have to be able to back up all these promises (that's what money is: promise to deliver value to the bearer).

The first issue with printing out money is inflation: everybody may have paper money, but the supply of tomatoes has not increased. All you'll do by printing more money is that the price of the available tomatoes goes up, as the seller will want to sell to the person who wants to give the most money. When the seller wants to go to the bank to deposit the cash, he may find that transport has gone up, since the number of taxis has not increased. When taxi driver then goes to buy fuel, he may find that fuel has also gone up, since there has not been an increase in fuel supply. Fuel seller goes back to the market to find that tomatoes has gone up again this week. As this goes round and round, you'll have the current situation in Zimbabwe.

The second issue is that we cannot fool the world into loaning us money if we're not being more productive or making things of value (this is the privilege of a certain country whose currency is presently the world's trading currency, but arguably that position has been earned over the past century and half. Now if you're that country and you feel like pumping your contracting economy (and by extension saving the world economy from collapsing) by increasing the money supply, you'll find that there are people who will buy your promise for a small fee (interest), based on your previous history of paying/honoring your promise over time.

Since Nigeria does not plan to increase the supply of goods and services, and since it has really terrible trust in the global scene, it has no business printing more currency

The only useful QE I can foresee from third world countries is to go gangsta on the USD!

Don't bother printing your local currency as productivity is too low to absorb the inflation shcocks.

Print USD and use it to service all the external debt obligations.

Print USD and use it to fund solid infrastructure development like modern fast rails, public water works, power plants and the rest.

Finally, be ready to deal with the CIA and the repercussions if your tracks get traced.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by cecegorz(m): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2016
double.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by oglalasioux(m): 10:27am On Jun 02, 2016
mrvitalis:

Then we use our population to mine more gold and save that in the central bank then print more money as loan

Where is the gold deposit? Where is the technology to mine and smelt it?
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by MrCork: 10:28am On Jun 02, 2016
Hisduchess:

thanks plenty for explaining to me cos I have kinda tried using internet to solve this puzzle buh I still gets more confused. wish u am seeing u life now so that I can get well cleared about this topic.buh thanks for ur help so far I appreciate

...sweeery u all ways confuse cozz u r confussedid....any ways plis can i ask u for a big quik favor?....i beg can u sit on my lap for only 5 minute?..i wannna check somtin! cheesy
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by MrCork: 10:31am On Jun 02, 2016
Georgry:
Hello Nairalanders....

Knowing fully that a country have the right to print money as much as they desire,and their is no limit to the quantity of money a country can print, this question comes to my mind:

Why can't a country just keep printing money to the stage that it will be enough for every body in the country to be rich...

...for get inflattion...Nigeria dont have elctricity & they never have petrol!!!...i lie?(True story) angry
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by mrvitalis(m): 10:46am On Jun 02, 2016
oglalasioux:

Where is the gold deposit? Where is the technology to mine and smelt it?
What are the universities for, have hard of PRODA? ? They can get the technology

We have gold in comerscial quantity in Nigeria
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by oglalasioux(m): 12:08pm On Jun 02, 2016
mrvitalis:

What are the universities for, have hard of PRODA? ? They can get the technology

We have gold in comerscial quantity in Nigeria

How many technicians has PRODA trained since it was established? Nigeria couldn't sustain the Ajaokuta steel company and you are talking of gold smelting plant.

Your thinking is good but look up the word UTOPIA in a dictionary. Maybe you'll understand.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by musicwriter(m): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2016
tsdarkside:

the problem with your strategie is: they will not allow you to reach that stage to be self-reliant.....they will set all types of confusions for you....pitching your brothers against you(boko brosis,biafrans,ghaneans,camerounians and many more),full scale media propaganda(very effective),manipulate your leaders(jonathan,kanu)...their is a lot of ways to disrupt a nation...read sun tzu and understand what is in their minds...

i say build first your army out as good as possible,so that they are afraid of you....screw respect,put fear of you in their hearths....

You're very far behind still living in the past!.

What you're suggesting may have worked in the 1400 to 1600 century when manpower alone meant military might. But, from the 1800 century technology began to replace manpower, not only in military arena but in all areas of life. Just one atomic bomb lead Japan to surrender to the US in 1945 during the second world war.

Today, we're even talking about replacing manned military with robotic soldiers. In fact, the wars going on in Afghanistan is being fought with computers somewhere in America!. Every airstrike and bomb you hear detonated by a drone in Afghanistan were done by simply pressing a ''delete'' botton on a computer sitting in the US.

However, I agree with you on western powers undermining scientific progress in and not allowing Africa or other third world countries develop scienctific and technological capabilities. But, I'm about to break the status quo pretty soon.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by tsdarkside(m): 5:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
musicwriter:

You're very far behind still living in the past!.

What you're suggesting may have worked in the 1400 to 1600 century when manpower alone meant military might. But, from the 1800 century technology began to replace manpower, not only in military arena but in all areas of life. Just one atomic bomb lead Japan to surrender to the US in 1945 during the second world war.

Today, we're even talking about replacing manned military with robotic soldiers. In fact, the wars going on in Afghanistan is being fought with computers somewhere in America!. Every airstrike and bomb you hear detonated by a drone in Afghanistan were done by simply pressing a ''delete'' botton on a computer sitting in the US.

However, I agree with you on western powers undermining scientific progress in and not allowing Africa or other third world countries develop scienctific and technological capabilities. But, I'm about to break the status quo pretty soon.

then we build many robotic soldiers.......my opinion is,build a strong army,so that they think twice before attacking you...

well...nice bro...i salute you!!.... smiley
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
grin There are some questions that sound foolish but are still somewhat valid anyways. This question is a perfect example of such. For those saying printing excess currency will cause inflation in one's own country, i agree that's correct but i'd like to rephrase the OP's question.

'What if a country secretly prints genuine US dollars and deposits in the world bank or finds a way to have it in their foreign reserves'? What is the downside? Discuss.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by DOD1: 6:13am On Jun 03, 2016
Georgry:
Hello Nairalanders....

Why can't a country just keep printing money to the stage that it will be enough for every body in the country to be rich...

Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2016
suyamasta:
This can be done in a targetted manner! the cost of printing money is lesser than the value of money, the only problem is the fear of inflation! For example the government can print 1 trillion naira and specifically direct that amount towards payment of salaries and loans to productive sectors! in so doing money is paid for work done! thereby stimulating productivity!
So its a good economic practice if properly done! US did something similar and the ECB is doing something similar as well!
So if Baba Emefiele and co can do something similar with an excellent approach then unemployment can be drastically reduced!

This is a plausible suggestion. I have a question. I am pretty sure that if the govt wishes to print 1trillion naira, it will cost them materials to do so, making the total money printed to be less than the 1trillion naira actually. Like how many percent of 1trillion naira (in the cost of printing materials) is needed to produce it.

I do hope you understand my question.
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2016
suyamasta:
No no no! If you say it represents individual contribution to wealth you are wrong! the many unemployed youth who are a major part of the population then contribute nothing?

Yes, that is the tell you that the bulk of the money is simply rotating within the few wealth ones
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 3:48pm On Jun 03, 2016
fiizznation:
Yes they do have exchange rate. Every currency has its exchange rate. But don't forget, my first answer to this thread was directed at the op's question; which was why can't we produce more currencies, and which I used Zimbabwe as an example. Honestly as of today, I don't know if the Zimbabwean dollars is still that weak and utmost useless as it used to be about 2years ago

If this very pronounced inflation actually happened, how come their currency increased in so much value in such a short time as 2years?
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by suyamasta(m): 3:54pm On Jun 03, 2016
odimbannamdi:

This is a plausible suggestion. I have a question. I am pretty sure that if the govt wishes to print 1trillion naira, it will cost them materials to do so, making the total money printed to be less than the 1trillion naira actually. Like how many percent of 1trillion naira (in the cost of printing materials) is needed to produce it.

I do hope you understand my question.

It should not cost up to 20percent of the value in printing, i dont have the exact figure for Naira but see that of dollar
see how much it cost the US to print the dollar
$1 and $2 --- 5.5 cents per note
$5 --- 10.9 cents per note
$10 --- 9.9 cents per note
$20 and $50 --- 10.6 cents per note
$100 --- 14.3 cents per note
Source: https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/
currency_12771.htm
https://www.nairaland.com/3027710/see-how-
much-it-cost
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by suyamasta(m): 3:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Yes, that is the tell you that the bulk of the money is simply rotating within the few wealth ones
Yes but it should never be so
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 3:57pm On Jun 03, 2016
bookface:

Printing money will not always result in inflation. Although it is the conventional wisdom, it is not always the case.

The conventional wisdom is based on the simple equation MV = PY where M is the supply of money, V is the velocity of money, P is prices and Y is the total quantity of goods.

The conventional wisdom that printing money simply increases inflation assumes that if M is increased, all other things being constant, then P should increase.

But all other things shouldn't have to be constant. For example, if printing money leads to more quantity of goods, prices could actually fall.

Furthermore, the argument is nonsense that more money supply equals higher inflation. Everyday a bank creates a loan, it is basically increasing the money supply out of thin air, which may not necessarily lead to inflation.

Finally, think about this...suppose the central bank prints out 10 billion naira notes today, and they leave it in the vault...would it cause inflation?

The answer is no

Suppose, the CBN choose to give the 10 billion notes to just 10 people, would this cause inflation? The answer is no! hence the role of the velocity of money.

EDIT: That said, you are correct, printing money to make all Nigerians billionaires will result in hyperinflation.

This is one most ironic posts i have read on nairaland.

You first highlight the possible opposite results, and finally agreed to the popular opinion.

Nice one bro, you actually enlightened me
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
suyamasta:

It should not cost up to 20percent of the value in printing, i dont have the exact figure for Naira but see that of dollar
see how much it cost the US to print the dollar
$1 and $2 --- 5.5 cents per note
$5 --- 10.9 cents per note
$10 --- 9.9 cents per note
$20 and $50 --- 10.6 cents per note
$100 --- 14.3 cents per note
Source: https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/
currency_12771.htm
https://www.nairaland.com/3027710/see-how-
much-it-cost

This is a wonderful piece of information you just exposed.

Considering that Nigeria is an import based country, i wouldn't be surprised if it ranges from 40-60%
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by suyamasta(m): 4:06pm On Jun 03, 2016
odimbannamdi:

This is a wonderful piece of information you just exposed.

Considering that Nigeria is an import based country, i wouldn't be surprised if it ranges from 40-60%
Thats too high
Re: Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich by odimbannamdi(m): 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2016
NwaNimo1:
There needs to be a demand for the money - US and the UK print money but they get away for it due to worldwide demand for the money. Both countries national debts are in the trillions through all the money they borrow from their central banks!

Nigeria couldn't do the same because there would be no demand for the notes (you don't need naira to buy oil and that's all we export)

[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJGlXEs8nI[/img]

I will download this video tonight

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BVN- Temporary Restriction Of Your Account / Photos Of Beautiful Daughters Of Northern Billionaires / Aliko Dangote To Buy Arsenal And Sack Arsene Wenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.