Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,987 members, 7,814,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . (624 Views)

Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine / What Are The Branches Of Electrical/Electronics Engineering? / Chemical Engineering Vs Electrical Electronics Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by omonighoblessing(f): 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
Is there any case that we could face or find Voltage without Current and Current without Voltage?
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by THONZE(m): 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2016
NO..... USING OHMS LAW...... YES USING RMS
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by omonighoblessing(f): 11:57am On Jun 15, 2016
RMS?@ THONZE
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by THONZE(m): 3:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
omonighoblessing:
RMS?@ THONZE
YES ROOT MEAN SQUARE.
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by omonighoblessing(f): 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
THONZE:
YES ROOT MEAN SQUARE.
oh thanks......let me properly look into it. thanks man.
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by THONZE(m): 6:32am On Jun 16, 2016
NO WAHALA....OK WOMAN...
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by Mickeywilliams(m): 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
I was surfing through the thread and stumbled upon this. Decided to comment because of the previous reply. Basically, what Iam gonna do is simply throw more light on the issue.
Show Why there's no correlation between the previous reason given and the question, then further Answer question as subjectively as I can be.
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by Mickeywilliams(m): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
Root-mean-square is a term used to quantify varying quantities. This should tell us that it is not peculiar to electrical engineering.
However as it is possible to obtain varying electrical quantities such as voltage,current et.al. it becomes logical in applications to apply RMS as it gives quantitatively a very good application in power Consumptions..
Now back to your question. Can there be a voltage without a current?what we are talking here is electrical current.
Before answering this it's important you recognise why materials are sometimes basically grouped into conductors, semiconductors, insulators
Simply put there can be voltage without current For an insulator or a relatively bad conductor.
Why? Current is simply a flow of electrical charges.
Now what happens when the voltage isn't enough to make charges flow? Good guess. wink they don't and as such constitutes no current. This is what culminates in the idea of resistance. .
Its analogous to saying. .we know that it requires 5 men to pushstart a particular car. And I ask what if four pushes?Well it's simple; nothing happens..
Bottom line is it's possible to have voltage without current up to the materials dielectric strength. Or saying it the other way round, it's conductivity coefficient.
Current can flow through any material just with the right voltage to cause a dielectric breakdown. A common case is a spark or a lightning strike. Where current flows through air. winkso you see. If a voltage of say a few hundred volts is applied through air. Current wouldnt flow.. Thus in this simple case there's voltage but no current flows.
I hope this clears your doubt. smiley
Re: Electrical /Electronics Engineering inclined pls help with this. . by Mickeywilliams(m): 3:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
For the second question.
Trying to speak from a general point, there's no direct and straightforward answer for which we would give a yes or a no.
For ordinary level applications, we like to restrict ourselves to the notion that there can't be a currently flow without a voltage source.
However, this idea is simply defeated by studies of SUPERCONDUCTIVITY and it's allied research areas.
Where it's possible to find materials that we hope conducts I.e current flows at zero voltage.
Also, I do not know how advanced you are in your studies of electrical engineering if you happen to. Or any related area of interest. I would like you to look at DISPLACEMENT CURRENTS. in Maxwell's laws.
In conclusion its possible for there to be a current without a voltage source.
Before I forget,almost did. There's what is referred to as drift current in semiconductors. Simply caused by charge diffusion to obtain charge equilibrium throughout the material. This is a current. But there's no voltage.
I hope I have helped.

(1) (Reply)

2016/2017 Agbonjagwe Leemon Lkpea Foundation (ALIF) Scholarship Awards / Alyson Hannigan Sex Tape? Saw Email Also Felt All Gooey Inside. / Any Futa, Unad And Fuoye Students On Nl??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.