Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine (1793 Views)

I Applied For Nursing Science But I Was Given Electrical Electronics Engineering / Can Someone Who Is Average In Maths Study Electrical Electronics Engineering / Phd Or Medicine And Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 19, 2018
I recently finished secondary school, and i sucked at biology and chemistry.Throughout my senior secondary school i was good at math and physics. And i wanna go for electrical electronics engineering ,but the problem is my mum.my mum wants me to study medicine and i dnt just knw what to do at the moment because i have gone into electronics since my ss1 and i can now design circuits and i am also learning to program in python.My mum says engineers dnt earn much and most of them are jobless.Although,i see sense in what she says i might do medicine because of money.i need ur advice
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Cosplay: 1:35pm On May 19, 2018
ARCHEMEDESME:
I recently finished secondary school, and i sucked at biology and chemistry.Throughout my senior secondary school i was good at math and physics. And i wanna go for electrical electronics engineering ,but the problem is my mum.my mum wants me to study medicine and i dnt just knw what to do at the moment because i have gone into electronics since my ss1 and i can now design circuits and i am also learning to program in python.My mum says engineers dnt earn much and most of them are jobless.Although,i see sense in what she says i might do medicine because of money.i need ur advice

Never compromise your dreams and your passion for pecuniary purposes.

Medicine is overrated, especially if you intend to pursue a career in Nigeria.

As for Engineers not earning much, total respect to your mum and parents, but sometimes their opinions are reactionary and not totally accurate.

The important thing is to get as much knowledge and as many skills and professional courses and certifications as you can.

You're self-teaching python, so that's already a great step. Don't constrain or limit yourself to classroom engineering. Those are the 'engineers' that your mum believes do not 'earn much'.

If you abandon your passion to foray into some other course, you may end up regretting that decision, if your interest isn't primary or genuine.

You do not want to live a life of regrets.

Of course you could proceed and find a way to strike a balance.

Good luck with that though.

3 Likes

Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by chicoMX(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2018
Few years ago my mum suggested the same thing; mine was nursing. Just like you, i sucked at biology (was good at chemistry, physics and maths). Currently I'm in my 4th year studying Elect/Elect, I wonder what would have happened to me if I had chosen Nursing.
Follow your heart bro, there are sometimes in school the only thing left might the passion you have for the course.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 19, 2018
My mum makes it look like engineers are poor and are mostly teachers.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by dijam: 5:50pm On May 19, 2018
I don't want to underrate one to overrate another... But what I can tell you is that engineers are not underpaid.
You already are doing some self learning which I think is the best. Just follow your heart and convince your mum with facts that engineering is what you love
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by SUPERPACK: 6:01pm On May 19, 2018
Go after excellence and success will run after you pants down.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Cosplay: 6:08pm On May 19, 2018
SUPERPACK:
Go after excellence and success will run after you pants down.

It's difficult to run with pants down.

1 Like

Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by lilmax(m): 6:14pm On May 19, 2018
people going into university without knowledge of it

imagine the switch ,from engineering to medicine.... smh
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by bolinjkezzy(m): 8:22pm On May 19, 2018
Cosplay:

Never compromise your dreams and your passion for pecuniary purposes.

Medicine is overrated, especially if you intend to pursue a career in Nigeria.
N
As for Engineers not earning much, total respect to your mum and parents, but sometimes their opinions are reactionary and not totally accurate.

The important thing is to get as much knowledge and as many skills and professional courses and certifications as you can.

You're self-teaching python, so that's already a great step. Don't constrain or limit yourself to classroom engineering. Those are the 'engineers' that your mum believes do not 'earn much'.

If you abandon your passion to foray into some other course, you may end up regretting that decision, if your interest isn't primary or genuine.

You do not want to live a life of regrets.

Of course you could proceed and find a way to strike a balance.

Good luck with that though.
Bobo they there thy give advice that works on paper but practically almost impossible. Medicine all the way, engineering is close to bring dead in Nigeria. Am a opportuned to start all over again I will definitely be studying to become a doctor. One last thing, medicine is never overrated.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 19, 2018
90% of engineering grad are not engineers. Beware
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Cosplay: 8:44pm On May 19, 2018
Who's this clown quoting me?

Did you read where I emphasized getting additional skills and qualifications over just regular classroom engineering?

I'm not about to start a medicine vs the whole world debate with you.

To the OP whose opinions are the only ones IGAF about, consider your options and make your decisions.

The thousands of doctors that leave Nigeria every single year have the right ideas.

Let the ones that wish to parade stethoscopes around and get paid peanuts have a field day.

Medicine in Nigeria is Overrated

If you don't like that go do something about it and don't whine to me.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Cosplay: 8:47pm On May 19, 2018
Don't stop at python. Get certified all the way. Self teach where you can, take courses where you can.

Let the medical undergraduates strut about with that chip on their shoulders.

When reality sets in and your certifications get you those jobs and you start your independent outfits, you'll be the one paying their salaries.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by sunbilor(m): 4:00am On May 20, 2018
ARCHEMEDESME:
My mum makes it look like engineers are poor and are mostly teachers.
I'm an engineer. I studied Elect/Elect. Follow your passion. Your mum is very wrong. My net pay ( take home) in the first job I got after graduation was #165,000 as at 2012. Today I'm earning more than twice that amount! Still in Nigeria.
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by femi4: 6:22am On May 20, 2018
ARCHEMEDESME:
Go for elect elect, after first yr in school most of my friends that joined the medicine bandwagon had to switch
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 14, 2022
It's been four years already.
Currently a third year EE student aspiring for medicine.

2 Likes

Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Debangis20(m): 8:26pm On Mar 12, 2023
ARCHEMEDESME:
It's been four years already. Currently a third year EE student aspiring for medicine.
You are now in 300L EEE?
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 12, 2023
Debangis20:

You are now in 300L EEE?
Yes. But I just dropped out to pursue medicine
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Debangis20(m): 1:38am On Mar 13, 2023
ARCHEMEDESME:
Yes. But I just dropped out to pursue medicine
But why? You lost your passion?
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 13, 2023
Debangis20:

But why? You lost your passion?
Long story
Re: Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine by Debangis20(m): 10:22pm On Mar 13, 2023
ARCHEMEDESME:
Long story
Alright, all the best.

(1) (Reply)

Redemption Academy Visits Akwa Ibom State University / Waec 2019 Timetable Released / Photo: Babcock University Asks For N25k Covid19 Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.