Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Your Opinion - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Opinion (1540 Views)

Lady Shares Opinion On Women Not Having Children Against Husband's Wish / Mature folks, I Need Your Opinion(update) / How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 8:58pm On Jun 01, 2016
What do y'all think?

Re: Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
I think if a girl behaves like a sexual object, she will be treated like a sexual object.

I strongly feel that there are two basic reasons why a man would treat a woman as a sexual object. 1. He is sick in the head, or 2. The average woman in his life, neighbourhood, etc, conducts herself like a sexual object.

So, I actually support sending back a member of the opposite sex who dresses in a provocative or distracting manner.

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 9:43pm On Jun 01, 2016
Thank you @Gaborone , shared similar sentiments with you. But when I saw the pic on another platform , kinda see through her lens , the mom was furious with the school for sending her daughter who wore a double tank top on a jean , back home. Many moms supported and joined in her protest to encourage parents who have male children to educate them in regards to their perceptions about female body & dressing.

For example, It's summer and very hot. girls who have perky chests are forced to wear double undershirts (bra&tank top) underneath every outfit to avoid boys from staring. Why must they stare , don't they have manners? (I guess not)

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion by bukatyne(f): 9:48pm On Jun 01, 2016
@Topic:

Boys/girls having a distraction free learning environment is MUCH MORE important that an indecently dressed girl's education.

A group of indecently dressed girls/boys can't hold the school to Ransome.
Re: Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 9:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
what is indecent dressing? 2 tank tops (with bra underneath) on a jean?

Re: Your Opinion by thorpido(m): 9:52pm On Jun 01, 2016
I share Gaborone's view.
The last line of that poster makes it appear like the responsibilities should be that of the boys rather than the girls taking responsibility for the dressing too.It's not right to make it appear so.

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by thorpido(m): 9:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
Ewuro4:
The poster says,'shorts too short and bra straps showing'.
It may not just be the straps showing but some side b00bs sef.
Re: Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 9:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
thorpido:
The poster says,'shorts too short and bra straps showing'.
It may not just be the straps showing but some side b00bs sef.

It's an idiomatic expression.

Lol she's mocking the school authorities bogus claims.

Of course Not.
Re: Your Opinion by byvan03: 10:04pm On Jun 01, 2016
Boys should be taught some manners but it's important that a girl attach some dignity to her person. It's the school's duty to eliminate all forms of distractions from either gender.

Ewuro4 the pic you posted is very ok, I can totally rock that.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 10:07pm On Jun 01, 2016
byvan03:
Boys should be taught some manners but it's important that a girl attach some dignity to her person. It's the school's duty to eliminate all forms of distractions from either gender.

Ewuro4 the pic you posted is very ok, I can totally rock that.

Agreed.

Of course you can. grin
Re: Your Opinion by thorpido(m): 10:18pm On Jun 01, 2016
Ewuro4:

It's an idiomatic expression.

Lol she's mocking the school authorities bogus claims.

Of course Not.

The dressing in d pic you posted is ok.
Re: Your Opinion by Onegai(f): 10:20pm On Jun 01, 2016
Everyone should take responsibilities for their actions. Yes, it's hot. But I'm very sure one can dress appropriately without flaunting all. Especially if that person is young (male or female). When I'm in the U.S. I want to bathe and comb the hairs of boys dressing up like Justin Bieber and Chris Brown. When I'm in the U.K. I want to walk around pulling down those very short school-uniform skirts (the girls roll it up and wear tights and justify it by saying their legs aren't showing). Both sexes should dress appropriately to an institute of organised learning. What they choose to wear at the mall, is their headache. But in school, dress appropriately.

I'm sure the mother took it personal as an insult to her parenting skills and cunningly made it all about a woman's right and Feminism. That's what human nature is all about: one feels guilty and lashes out in defence but so as to get maximum support, covers up their personal issue under a banner of an intellectual cause and self-righteous indignation. Just like the dude today with his wife's hair.

9 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by crackhaus: 11:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
And how exactly will boys be taught that girls are not sex objects when all it takes for boys to see girls portraying themselves so brazenly as sex-objects, is by turning on the TV, reading through a magazine, or just taking a walk down the street?

Kind of counter-productive if you ask me.

4 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by Ewuro4: 12:08am On Jun 02, 2016
Cackhause , ain't talking about Davido dancers , we are discussing elementary/high school kids here... So it's now a crime to have curves and attractive body features? Kontinu tongue
Re: Your Opinion by cococandy(f): 12:19am On Jun 02, 2016
Ewuro4:
no it's not.
I could totally rock that as a teacher. Much less a high school kid.

The boys may not even have found it sexually exciting until whoever sent the girl home made them realize they should be sexually excited when a woman dresses that way.

We are the ones spoiling these kids with our over sexualization of innocent things.

6 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by greatgod2012(f): 5:48am On Jun 02, 2016
It's the boys that need to be taught that girls should not be seen as sexual objects.

No matter how we preach it, everybody cannot dress alike.
Some girls don't even see what we term indecent dressing as indecent at all. It all depends on beliefs and upbringing.

That is why it's the boys that need to be orientated that girls are not sexual objects because, they can see seemingly indecent dressing anywhere, apart from their school. and that anywhere they found themselves, they should be distraction-free.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion by crackhaus: 8:34am On Jun 02, 2016
Ewuro4:
Cackhause , ain't talking about Davido dancers , we are discussing elementary/high school kids here... So it's now a crime to have curves and attractive body features? Kontinu tongue

Lol, you didn't get me.

The pic you posted says that boys should be taught that girls are not sex objects - this is a very good proactive measure, but it certainly isn't a preventive one.

For instance, you're a parent and I am certain you would want to instill such virtues on yours - but your success in that respect can be counteracted if your kids still get to come across girls/women who objectify themselves by themselves...

Are you now seriously going to pretend you don't know how girls sexualize and objectify themselves? cheesy
Look around ma'am.

I know this is about high school kids, but in this day & age you should know what these set of kids are being exposed to by the media.

5 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by crackhaus: 8:48am On Jun 02, 2016
greatgod2012:
It's the boys that need to be taught that girls should not be seen as sexual objects.

No matter how we preach it, everybody cannot dress alike.
Some girls don't even see what we term indecent dressing as indecent at all. It all depends on beliefs and upbringing.

That is why it's the boys that need to be orientated that girls are not sexual objects because, they can see seemingly indecent dressing anywhere, apart from their school. and that anywhere they found themselves, they should be distraction-free.
Yea the boys need to be taught, we all agree on that...this doesn't mean that girls should dress anyhow they like on the account that every single male they come across has being taught and given orientation on how they shouldn't be seen as sex-objects. cheesy

I know the world is tilting in unprecedented ways such that the line between right and wrong is fast fading, but last I checked, prevention is still better than cure (proactive measure).

[size=4pt]As for being distraction-free, errmm that one is a long shot na...even you and Ewuro2 will get distracted should you come across a well built muscular man baring his chests and packs in public with no shirts on.
You will be distracted for at least 5secs before your brain remembers that a married woman has to assume composure.[/size]
Re: Your Opinion by PoisonedOne: 12:08pm On Jun 02, 2016
It shouldn't be a big deal when girls dress like that. In fact it is a way of preparing the male child to get accustomed to the "fashion" of this contemporary world where they would be exposed to them and see them as a way of dressing instead of a subtle intimate invitation.

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by TV01(m): 12:26pm On Jun 02, 2016
To the point in question, it takes very little to spark a young mans imagination. And, at a time when hormones are flowing like champagne on a rappers night out, the mere presence of females – even teachers sef, even dressed in sacks grin – can be a distraction. Studies clearly show that boys do better in all male schools, mostly because this distraction is absent.

To pursue this based on the desires or feelings of an individual, without regard to the well-being of the whole is a nonsense. And she was not being body-shamed, she was being asked to dress appropriately for the situation.

Firstly, women are “sex objects”. Secondly, women would be distraught if they were not considered as sex objects. Thirdly, most go all out – although the degree varies – to present and to be considered as sex objects. Fourthly, women need in some sense, and to some degree, to be sex objects for the whole sexually dimorphous nature of human beings to make any practical sense.

That is not to say that 1, the reverse is not also true to a degree, that 2, SO is all that – or the main thing - women are, 3, that SOification of women is to be unfettered or not subject to societal norms and conventions, and 4, those societal norms and conventions do not sometimes demand different things from the sexes.

Men are biologically wired – whatever your theological or ideological position – to respond to visual stimuli when it comes to sexual attraction. Or to put it another way; men sexually respond to women’ visual appearance – yes, basally, men, are certified sexual objectifiers wink.

What we had were societal norms that restricted men from acting from an untoward manner, and also expected women to show some decorum in their dressing.

In this day and age – especially in the West – what passes for everyday apparel” may appear normal to us, but in other parts of the world, and until recent times even in the West, the form fitting, body-hugging, “sexual-feature” emphasising clothing we take for granted would have been scandalous.

So, whatever a woman’ intent, whatever the era, or societal context, if she dresses in a way to accent her physical features, sexual objectification is decidedly in view. You cannot educate that out of men, only demand that they do not act in an untoward manner as a result.

TV

8 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by Acidosis(m): 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2016
Another equality movement.

Men are moved by sight. No amount of equality ideology can control er.ection.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2016
How do you teach boys that girls are not sexual objects when all around them women portray themselves as such.... From the papers to the TV shows, music videos etc, you see women giving off sexual vibes.. They may not be sexual objects but they do a good job of acting it... In fact, it appears most women want to be seen as sexual objects, what message are you passing when you dress to look SEXY, isn't it an admittance of the fact that you desire to be a sexual object
Men are attracted by what they see and most women know it...
The only way out of this dilemma is men trying as much as possible to control themselves and women dressing a bit decently...
A sexily dressed woman is a distraction to even the most decent man and it's not entirely his fault....
The message shouldn't be whether the boys comfortability is more important than the girls education, it should be that the girls dignity is equally as important as her education, except of course she has no problem with being an object of the boys entertainment...
It's not always about the boys....

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by jashar(f): 5:49am On Jun 03, 2016
Everyone should be taught.
Re: Your Opinion by lilmax(m): 6:44am On Jun 03, 2016
Another failed attempt to reduce morals.....dumb one at that
Re: Your Opinion by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 08, 2016
I support the school, if you can't wear it to work, why should it be allowed in a school? That's my take, I am not even thinking about the way the whole thing has been sexualized.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinion by Kimoni: 1:23pm On Jun 08, 2016
Acidosis:
Another equality movement.

Men are moved by sight. No amount of equality ideology can control er.ection.

The bolded, I think, is the crux of the matter.

Are men truly wired this way by nature and there is little or nothing that can be done about their biological formation? Then yes, the students should be sent back home and taught to dress appropriately or is the statement one of those defensive jargons spewed by men so as not to take responsibility for their actions when they misbehave? If true, then the young lads should be taught to lower their gazes and not get unecessarliy attracted by whatever the females put on.

The question remains, which of the above statement is true?
Re: Your Opinion by damiso(f): 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2016
I agree with the school. I am quite old school when it comes to rules like that.

I like the idea of strict school uniforms and dress code. If a school says no Mohawk, no make up,etc even no black shoe and you get sent back for wearing brown I will agree.
Re: Your Opinion by Jahblessme: 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2016
@Onegai,
Some UK children uniforms? im like wtf??
I'm all for self expression but abeg school is for reading,express yourself outside the gates.
I was shopping not too long ago and i saw a sec school student..i kid you not,as she was walking i was seeing the underside of her bottom.Her skirt was overwhelmingly short and yes she wore the obligatory tights but still lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Incase you see someone driving and shouting about uniforms,it's likely to be me grin grin.Everyday after school i'm screaming and wondering what parents are thinking.I'm looking into enrolling my kids in a school where everyone looks drab,over the knee skirt and regular trousers.They are all kids and should dress like that especially in an atmosphere for learning.

There's no one who wont be distracted by a ss on display,me that shouts about it up and down is it not cos im also distracted?Upon all the years i've spent here,i'm still not immune not to talk of a teenager with raging hormones.i can only try to teach my son how to respond appropriately ie self control and to regard boo bs and a ss as slabs of wood cheesy cheesy....(he doesn't even like listening at the moment,he's still fascinated with his peepee).

Meanwhile,this wasn't shaming..she wasn't just dressed in attire appropriate enough for the school.Every school has it's own code.Sorry

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinion by Acidosis(m): 5:25pm On Jun 08, 2016
Kimoni:

The bolded, I think, is the crux of the matter.

Are men truly wired this way by nature and there is little or nothing that can be done about their biological formation? Then yes, the students should be sent back home and taught to dress appropriately or is the statement one of those defensive jargons spewed by men so as not to take responsibility for their actions when they misbehave? If true, then the young lads should be taught to lower their gazes and not get unecessarliy attracted by whatever the females put on.

The question remains, which of the above statement is true?

Men are naturally wired to react, my sister. It is true we all have the ability to control this reaction to some extent, but failure to caution these young female lads means they will grow to assume it is right to dress 'anyhow', after all, men do not react.

What I've just read about female genital mutilation is even more scary, cos women who have undergone this process, especially, the complete removal, may never really understand how men react sexually.

Whenever you see a man commending a "sexy" woman, the ONLY thing that comes to his mind is SEX, and his BED. Some only keep their feelings and act with maturity, while others choose to be randy.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Go And See Her Parent For The First Time / My Wife Sleeps With My Tenant / Can We Reason These Together; Is It Fair Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.