Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,316 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

FG Scraps Post-ume - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Scraps Post-ume (74427 Views)

Breaking! FG Scraps Tuition Fees In Federal Universities. / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities / FG Scraps CBT For Post-UTME Screening, Pegs Fee At N2,500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Scraps Post-ume by Endison: 3:44pm On Jun 02, 2016
Pegs cut-off at 180
The Federal Government Thursday scrapped the conduct of post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) for candidates seeking admission into higher institution.
The government explained that all tertiary institutions were at liberty to conduct screening for candidates seeking admission into any school.
Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, said this on Thursday in Abuja after declaring open the 2016 Combined Policy Meeting on Admissions to Universities, Polytechnics and other higher institutions in Nigeria.
Adamu, expressed confidence in the examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), adding that there was no need for other examination to be conducted by universities after JAMB.
He said: “As far as I am concerned the nation has confidence in what JAMB is doing. The universities should not be holding another examination and if the universities have any complain against JAMB let them bring it and then we address it.
“If JAMB is qualified enough to conduct tests and they have conducted test then there will be no need to conduct another test for students to gain admission.”
The Minister also asked the JAMB to stop extra charges on several categories of changes on admissions such as the change of course, change of school and others.
Meanwhile, the JAMB has pegged the cut – off mark for admission for 2016 at 180.
The 180 benchmark, applies to all universities and higher institutions in the country, including polytechnics, colleges of education, and others.
JAMB’s Registrar and Chief Executive Officer, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, after a long debate with delegates from various institutions, told journalists that no institution would go below the 180 cut-off set by the board.
He said: “180 is given, no institution will go below 180 this year, And some universities can go above it, I know University of Ife will not go below 200 and University of Lagos will not go below 200 and also UI. All these ones stand but 180 as bench mark for others.
“This year we have more than enough candidates, we have over 1.5 million candidates so we will get enough candidates to take in all the schools if they are serious. Re-distribution is already ongoing, because it is embedded in the registration procedure.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/fg-scraps-post-utme/

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Endison: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2016
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I don't know why we place so many bottle-necks to attaining minimum educational standards in this country. Gaining admission is a battle...graduating and going for service is a war on its own.

Time to give the average man some breathing space.
JAMB alone is even more than enough!

108 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Baawaa(m): 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2016
That is a good news,because most of our universities has turned it to avenue of making money.

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by ganisucks(f): 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2016
Another example of talking before thinking. PostUme was set up by a law, and can only be stopped after wide consultations between NASS and the respective tertiary institutions. This government is clueless, unintelligent and useless. ASUU strike loading.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by chukwukadibia10: 4:00pm On Jun 02, 2016
Buhari self!

Well not my concern.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Unblockable: 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2016
ganisucks:
Another example of talking before thinking. PostUme was set up by a law, and can only be stopped after wide consultations between NASS and the respective tertiary institutions. This government is clueless, unintelligent and useless. ASUU strike loading.

What's this one saying? Pls can you provide us with the section of the Constitution that says anything about Post-UTME? Pls do help me with it because I don't have the copy on my phone right now. Besides, stop blaming this Government over nothing. It makes you look like an unserious fellow.

348 Likes 22 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by seunny4lif(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2016
grin
Ope oooh grin grin
But I don't believe sha grin grin
APC can lie jooor grin grin

APC and lies

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by otokx(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2016
Observing, the language is a bit neither here nor there.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by bettercreature(m): 4:09pm On Jun 02, 2016
This will just make admission more difficult for a common man
With post UTME,they have no choice they must give you admission if you beat the cut off mark
But now it will boil down to connection,i mean you have to bribe before you get admission

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Fadamant: 4:11pm On Jun 02, 2016
ganisucks:

Please, give us the law that set up PUTME here, so we can confirm your claim.

41 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Businessideas: 4:11pm On Jun 02, 2016
Nigeria and policy summersault ehn!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
A

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by WebSurfer(m): 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
Na after we don pass through this suffer them come remove am abi? yeye people...

Well, let our younger ones enjoy while it last..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
No more "EGUNJE" for tertiary institutions grin

8 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by CzarRex: 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
wow i like this kind of news,so person no go roll for ground b4 him enter school

watchout for some top schools increasing their cut-off marks to 250

5 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Samexdx(m): 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
Hmmmm! If it works then admision into tertiary institution will be given to those who can pay a huge sum of money...

3 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2016
Why exempting UI, OAU nd Unilag......

Well the answer is simple; 3 best institutions in nigeria

Location; all in SOUTH WEST nigeria tongue

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by ademasta(m): 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
As in?
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Clarinett(m): 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
Wow! shocked
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Image123(m): 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
Good riddance, that minister looks like a ghost, is he a ghost worker?

10 Likes

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by MajorWarren: 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
not sure if this is a good or bad move...it'll be a really good step if they set up structures to ensure candidates get into uni based on pure merit

1 Like

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Project400: 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
Interesting, but it makes little rational sense.

Ideally;

1. UTME/Post-UTME should be scrapped,

2. Each Tertiary Institution should set its own standard/entrance exams, and

3. A National body (reformed UTME) should ensure that all institutions comply with exam policies and regulations.

With this new policy from the FG, we can safely say that Nigeria is not ready for a transformed education sector. We are far from attaining a global status. No citizen of any nation would leave his country to a Cyber Cafe in Nigeria to write a common entrance examination, not even the nearby Benin Republic or Ghana.

Education is not hard, hence, the leaders should not make it difficult for the citizens. Nigerian students go to developed countries all the time with only WAEC/GCE results, they get trained, and come back as better citizens. In this age, you can sit behind your computer in Obalende, and get an admission letter from Canada, China, Cyprus, etc by simply emailing your Transcript. We don't have to travel from Lagos to Ibadan to write an entrance exam for Postgraduate studies.

Education in this new age can be likened to Tourism, let's drop the Abacus way of life.

Project400.

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by VocalWalls: 4:19pm On Jun 02, 2016
This might look like the best option and jambites may cheer and go merry, but it is a bad decision.
How do you know which persons are most suitable for the less than 100 admission slots?
This is a massive opportunity for man-know-man to prevail.
Best Wallpapers For Dining Room Areas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 02, 2016
Na this kain news dey sweet LadyF for stomach. God don finally pick ur call, heheeh.
Some pun intended grin
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Firefire(m): 4:19pm On Jun 02, 2016
shocked
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Babafaros(m): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
I still don't believe
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by SweetLove0(f): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
ok
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by menix(m): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
Thank God ooo!!!, with my 181 i will get admitted into UNILAG to study medicine...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by igboboy3(m): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
This is not going to work because JAMB lacks capacity in many ways. I have seen people with 270 in JAMB yet they flop in University

Universities will continue to find ways to weed out chaff

FG should scrap Jamb and liberalise the Universities. Keep a regulatory cap on fees but allow them to compete for the best and brightest students.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by otokx(m): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
The universities will definitely fight this.
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2016
Read also - [url=dailyvibes.ml] Buhari Set To Build A Project in Kaduna[/url]
Re: FG Scraps Post-ume by YoungExec: 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2016
Another policy somersault!
Two steps foward, Ten steps backward! sad

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

WAEC 2020: Meet Ogwubie Chikemzi Praise Who Made Parallel A's In Her WAEC Result / UNIBEN Student Makes A Portrait Of The VC With 6000 Bottle Covers (Photo) / South African Schoolgirls Smoking In School. See Reactions (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.