Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,448 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts (24295 Views)

Restructuring: Implement Confab Report Now - Jonathan Advises Buhari / RESTRUCTURING: CONFAB 2014 Report Endorses 18 New States (LIST) / Saraki Denies Joining PDP, Says Report Is Junk Journalism(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by TheFreeOne: 1:52am On Jun 04, 2016
•It’s your biggest mistake —Mike Ozekhome, SAN
•You are wrong, Delegates

By Henry Umoru & Levinus Nwabughiogu

The 2014 National Constitutional Conference was one of the boldest attempts in recent times in appraising the operational structure and system on which the country is run. The conference which was convened by President Goodluck Jonathan in 2014 however faced many controversies, the first of which was its acceptance. The 492 delegates of the conference following months of brainstorming finally came up with a report which among others sought the creation of nearly 18 more states, the systematic restructuring of the polity, rotational presidency, the creation of state police, the scrapping of state/local government joint accounts among several others.

The conference officially cost the Federal Government N9 billion which was besides incidental costs by state governments and other agencies of the administration. The report of the conference was submitted to President Jonathan who before he left office, handed them over to his successor, President Muhammadu Buhari as being among the major unfinished issues of his administration which he would want the new president to deal with.

However, his successor who had been largely mute on it finally responded during newspaper interviews to mark his first anniversary in office last week. President Buhari said despite the persuasion of his predecessor that he had not even read the confab report and that it would remain in the archives where according to him it rightly belongs.

He said: “I advised against the issue of National Conference. You would recall that ASUU was on strike then for almost nine months. The teachers in the tertiary institutions were on strike for more than a year, yet that government had about N9billion to organise that meeting (National Conference), and some (members) were complaining that they hadn’t even been paid. I never liked the priority of that government on that particular issue, because it meant that what the National Assembly could have handled was handed to the Conference, while the more important job of keeping our children in schools was abandoned. That is why I haven’t even bothered to read it or ask for a briefing on it, and I want it to go into the so-called archives.”

Responding to the president’s assertion, some prominent members of the conference, styled as delegates in various responses tackled the president, pointing out what they claimed as major highlights of the conference that should be implemented.

General Zamani Lekwot, rtd,

The 2014 National Conference report is the real formula to restructure this country, implementing the report is a solution to the nation’s problems. Ignoring the entire report would amount to asking where Nigeria is going because, during the conference, we had the best of Nigerians, all professions, age and class of people who represented various groups as well as the group of elder statesmen.

The implementation of the report can be done in phases, but throwing away the entire report will not help the country. Implementing the report will boost our economy, it would boost investment as that would help create a very conducive atmosphere for businesses to thrive and investors will come to the country. Implementing the report will also boost agriculture which used to be our mainstay, water would be improved, the inflation would be checked as well as lay a solid foundation for the development of the country. Implementing the conference report will address the issue of insecurity in the land. During the National Conference, I learnt a lot from other Nigerians, who were delegates.”

Former Permanent Secretary in Rivers State and a delegate to the conference, Dr. Patricia Ogbonnaya

It is being narrow-minded and unpatriotic because the president cannot claim that the report is entirely useless to the development of our country Nigeria. He should be reminded of the calibre of Nigerians who were at the conference. They were men and women who have excelled in their various fields of endeavour, including good performance as public and civil servants from the teething period of this country. Mr. President should know that no single individual has a monopoly of knowledge. He should take the good parts of the report and discard the so-called bad parts if he so wishes.

Former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Senator Aniete Okon

Throwing away the 2014 CONFAB report is a way of postponing the obvious. The President is living in denial of the reality of the country today which is to get the Nigeria project working properly. The return to true federalism is an inevitable panacea for the country’s problems which Nigeria is struggling with. The President should be encouraged to stop living in denial in stark reality of our country.

Former Presidential Candidate of the National Transformation Party, NTP, Deacon John Dara

The 2014 National Conference was an improvement in many ways on the previous Conferences and Constituent Assemblies. It was a compilation of resolutions on which Nigerians have, by and large, built consensus. It is unfortunate that the President has not read the report because I believe that it will be a useful guide for good governance in Nigeria for a long time to come. Unless the government wants to reinvent the wheel, it is wasteful to ignore the report. It may, in fact, become an albatross for any government that chooses not to implement the report because new movements and new leadership will rise to truly renew and re-engineer Nigeria.

Former Minister of Women Affairs, Iyom Josephine Anenih

The truth is that I did not hear him speak about it because I have not been around for some time. However if it is true that he said so by himself – that he will not consider the report – I would humbly advise him to reverse his decision. The President knows more than anybody else that government is a continuum. Successive governments strive to build on what the previous governments started building and not to dismantle and start again. The money spent on convening and running the 2014 National Conference is Nigerian tax payers’ money which must not be wasted.

We appreciate that there are a lot of issues on his plate to tackle right now, what with the increasing spate of insecurity and restiveness all over the country and the looming famine in the land. He may feel that considering the report may distract him. Paradoxically, implementing the far-reaching, well-considered resolutions which were consensually reached by representatives of every segment and delineation of this country, will prove to be the answer he is seeking right now. Even the monster called corruption that he is seriously fighting now was discussed and recommendations on how to destroy it were advanced.

Can we really say that the 2014 report will not be implemented, when several recommendations are already being implemented like the rehabilitation of the North East and a few others? If you read the report, there are recommendations for the Executive to implement, and there are recommendations that only the National Assembly can deal with.

Ezenwa Nwangwu

It’s his discretion to consider the report or not to, suffice to say that there are very important recommendations therein that could be useful in resolving the myriad of challenges facing the government. There are plethora of reports that never got attended to, the Oputa, Lemu, Uwais committees and all that.

Constitutional Lawyer, Professor Auwalu Yadudu

The report had three components; one, requires executive attention and the President is entitled to endorse or not and another is legislative intervention and it belongs to the National Assembly. If the National Assembly chooses to act on the report, nothing stops them.

I had a problem with the basis for convoking the conference; it did not go through the legal process of having a law backing it. It is a dignified presidential advisory Committee. Jonathan did not help matters; time was not enough, there was no white paper to indicate which or which one not to accept. They played politics with it. A report that has three components cannot be kept in the archives. If the National Assembly decides to look at it, they can, and if the presidency decides not to implement, they may have their reasons.”

Yinka Odumakin, Spokesperson of Afenifere Renewal Group, ARG

The comment by the president shows a total disconnect with the Nigerian reality. The country is fast disintegrating and like Max Siollun wrote in the New York Times after the 2015 elections ‘Nigeria needs a reconstructive surgeon and not a bulldozer.’ If a leader is presiding over 52% of his country, he should know that something has to be done to improve on governance structure in an inclusive arrangement. That is the imperative of what Atiku captured succinctly in his recent intervention.

The recommendations of the 2014 National Conference are the panacea to elongate the tenure of Nigeria, which has practically entered a terminal crisis. And if any leader thinks he can use the force of arms to keep a dysfunctional country together, he should learn from the Soviet Union which collapsed without a single shot being fired with all its military might.

Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN

For the president to attempt thrashing the 2014 National Conference report, to me, will be the biggest mistake of his administration. It will be ill advised and if you listen to the former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar two days ago, you will notice that the issue of restructuring the country is even now more urgent than it was in 2014 when former president Jonathan instituted the national confab. The issues will simply not go away because it borders on what is called the national question. It is at the very heart and soul of our nationhood experimentation.
Nigeria is still seeking nationhood because of the disparate nationalities, cultures, religious, languages, gender, tribes and idiosyncrasies all of which have led to great mutual suspicion and antagonism.

“It amounts to throwing away the baby with the bath water by rejecting in toto the conference report simply because it was authored during Jonathan’s government and simply because Jonathan was the one who convened the national conference. It is therefore critical that you look at the message and not thld look beyond Jonathan as a former president and beyond his government and look at the report itself which was the collective product of eminent Nigerians drawn from across the nooks and crannies of this country.

“In fact, there were times when almost fisticuffs were involved. There were abuses, insults, laughters, disagreements and then agreements. “The report was not just full and holistic, it took care of the challenges of Nigeria from amalgamation in 1914 up till now and how retool and re-engineer Nigerian so that we can become stronger not this one of disparite groups where Niger Delta Avengers wants a larger Niger Delta Federation; where IPOB wants a Biafra federation. We discovered that the agitations would continue to resurface. They are like sleeping magma which normally are dormant but grow up later into serious volcanic eruption. Because some people still feel shortchanged. Every region cries about marginalization. All Nigerians must be inward looking.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/buhari-confab-report-archives/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by pacino26(m): 1:54am On Jun 04, 2016
Ok

Who else thinks the country is as confused as the citizenry who don't have a clear definition of what they really want. While some fault the rationale behind holding a conference when such funds would've been put to use in other sector, a bulk few including my humble self is angered by the the capability and credibility of participants. Bringing old men and women to discuss our future, the present is their making so you'll understand where I am coming from.

In all same old recommendations were made and the document archived. I wouldn't fault Buhari, but posterity will remember him if he dusts it up and make good use of it.

I don tire for the confusion in this country.

Edited.
FTC so let me address my post.

Funny I've received lots of mentions bout my post above. It follows the trend of the current state of affairs where there's no synergy between regimes, where the executive and the legislative will not harmonize bills for the common good without considering their personal ego.

PMB made a statement in the line of argument based on the delay of the process initially by the previous govt and subsequent non implementation. The PDP had the majority at both chambers as at that time do what was the excuse. The justification of the recommendations from the report lies on the fact that it treated key issues currently affecting our dear country as of the moment but then again just like the Aburi accord the FG thru PMB is out to renege on it as usual.
Since it is a generally accepted document why don't we nudge our house members to pick it up

Dear senators dust it up and take to PMB. Let's leave all these online bickering and analysis on the refusal of a Nigerian who doesn't............

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by TheFreeOne: 1:55am On Jun 04, 2016
If we fail to restructure this country asap then decades down the road we'll still be talking about no light, no water, Fulani terrorists, ND militancy, marginalization, ethnicity, Biafra, no good roads, poor education, lack of development e.t.c

Every Nigerian that loves freedom and development should support restructuring to drive competitive development amongst states and regions cos that's the only solution out of our present quagmire.

How long shall the poor keeps sacrificing for the sins of politicians and the rich?

LET'S EMANCIPATE OURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY AND SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER.

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by chriskosherbal(m): 2:19am On Jun 04, 2016
Hmmmm confab

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Oblitz(m): 2:30am On Jun 04, 2016
I don't understand why someone would just decide to sit on the wishes of a group of people.

if all men are equal, nobody has the moral right to make decisions affecting other people without their consent.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Abeymills(m): 2:50am On Jun 04, 2016
Bubuhari is just simply a disaster

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Adminisher: 3:02am On Jun 04, 2016
I just love this President. The confab was an after thought by Jonathan to deflect attention away from corruption allegations against his government and his terrible performance against Boko Haram. In the heat of the pressure he hurriedly put together a jamboree that produced nothing. Abacha 's own was also the sane.

Let the National Assembly do their jobs. They can ammendments the constitution incrementally without the President. It is not in Buhari's oath of office and targets to restructure Nigeria. He did not promise it and he won't do it. Let our elected reps do the needful if they are really up to it

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Nobody: 3:04am On Jun 04, 2016
Why the person wey organize the confab no implement am before him commot for office? That is my grouse.. GEJ had months after confab to implement it, but he played politics with it till he left office why then should I blame PMB

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by rusher14: 4:17am On Jun 04, 2016
It was mostly a jamboree. Another avenue to give something to the boys and girls.

PDP refused to campaign with implementation of their very own confab. Admittedly, neither did APC and that's their prerogative.

Nobody made it a priority during the elections but now many would like a government who have never been advocates of such to be stampeded into implementing.

If the issue of restructuring is a major issue, let interested parties incorporate it into their manifesto or campaigns at the next general elections.

For now, let the president settle down to his blueprint based on the form of government he was elected to.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by PassingShot(m): 6:10am On Jun 04, 2016
Adminisher:
I just love this President. The confab was an after thought by Jonathan to deflect attention away from corruption allegations against his government and his terrible performance against Boko Haram. In the heat of the pressure he hurriedly put together a jamboree that produced nothing. Abacha 's own was also the sane.

Let the National Assembly do their jobs. They can ammendments the constitution incrementally without the President. It is not in Buhari's oath of office and targets to restructure Nigeria. He did not promise it and he won't do it. Let our elected reps do the needful if they are really up to it
This is exactly my position.

How can any sane being expect PMB to implement a report of national conference he was opposed to right from beginning.

How can any rational person expect an APC govt that was not part of the conference to implement it's report they were never part of?

Many of us react to issues emotionally instead of pragmatically.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by chernest2002: 6:32am On Jun 04, 2016
Buhari is a failure and a dictator.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 04, 2016
PassingShot:

How can any sane being expect PMB to implement a report of national conference he was opposed to right from beginning.

How can any rational person expect an APC govt that was not part of the conference to implement it's report they were never part of?

Are you saying every government that comes to power should reject any policy they were against before coming to power irrespective of whether such policies are in the interest of the nation?

This is not about Buhari this is about the interest of our nation which superceds that of any single individual.

It is quite sad that we are yet to learn from the fall out of unguarded uterances mented out on the past government and how such actions set a bad precedence which has been hunting this present government.

I would supposed that what a president that has a genuine interest of the masses and future of Nigeria in heart would do is either pass it to the senate to review and see if we can implement it in the first place or not rather than outright rejection.

Every successful nation trives on continuity!

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by PassingShot(m): 6:54am On Jun 04, 2016
woodcook:

Are you saying every government that comes to power should reject any policy they were against before coming to power irrespective of whether such policies are in the interest of the nation?

This is not about Buhari this is about the interest of our nation which superceds that of any single individual.

It is quite sad that we are yet to learn from the fall out of unguarded uterances mented out on the past government and how such actions set a bad precedence which has been hunting this present government.

I would supposed that what a president that has a genuine interest of the masses and future of Nigeria in heart would do is either pass it to the senate to review and see if we can implement it in the first place or not rather than outright rejection.

Every successful nation trives on continuity!
Let's leave emotions out of it and approach this issue with logical reasoning.

1. A national conference cannot be said to be credible without the input of all sections of the country and that of the main opposition party.

2. The legal backing must be in place for such conference to stand the test of time. In this case, it lacked the legal backing. Not in the constitution and not backed by any bill to the NASS. So, at best, the one GEJ did was a political conference for political ends.

3. PMB never campaigned with it. It was PDP/GEJ that campaigned with it. As such, it amounts to self-deceit for anyone to expect a president and his party that never believed in that jamboree to come on board and implement a report that was a product of political calculations and not of nation building.

Remember also that GEJ did not show any readiness to implement that report. My deduction is based on the fact that he only managed to send the report to Senate just two days to the end of his tenure (May 27th, 2015 to be precise) http://thewillnigeria.com/news/jonathan-sends-2014-national-conference-report-to-national-assembly/. A report that was submitted to him on August 21, 2014. Do you sincerely think GEJ would have done anything with that political report?

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by KissCODE(m): 6:54am On Jun 04, 2016
tobimillar:
Why the person wey organize the confab no implement am before him commot for office? That is my grouse.. GEJ had months after confab to implement it, but he played politics with it till he left office why then should I blame PMB
people like you are the reason why PMB is so sick today.
People like you are the reason why NDA, IPOB, Fulani herdsmen & other forms militancy is raising PMB‘s blood presure.
People like you are the reason why PMB might end up breaking Nigeria into multiple particules.

It is just bad that PMB does not listen to those that will tell him the present day reality.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by orunto27: 6:56am On Jun 04, 2016
Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by oshyno(m): 6:58am On Jun 04, 2016
PassingShot:

Your master Tinubu and ACN bigwigs then were shouting for true federalism,that we need a confederation but guaging that they could succeed in removing PDP changed overnight. Good leaders don't care where a good idea comes from.Postponing the implementation is shifting the obvious cuz the agitation will keep growing.If a SS or SE person becomes president North will start their own.Why not we do the neccessary and fvck whereever the idea came from.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by PassingShot(m): 7:00am On Jun 04, 2016
KissCODE:
people like you are the reason why PMB is so sick today.
People like you are the reason why NDA, IPOB, Fulani herdsmen & other forms militancy is raising PMB‘s blood presure.
People like you are the reason why PMB might end up breaking Nigeria into multiple particules.

It is just bad that PMB does not listen to those that will tell him the present day reality.
And who are those that will tell him "the present day reality"?

The violent and destructive IPOB touts? The ND Avenging terrorists? The loquacious and useless PDP?

Sorry guy, PMB is doing just right by the assessment of good Nigerians. cool

13 Likes

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by PassingShot(m): 7:03am On Jun 04, 2016
oshyno:

Your master Tinubu and ACN bigwigs then were shouting for true federalism,that we need a confederation but guaging that they could succeed in removing PDP changed overnight. Good leaders don't care where a good idea comes from.Postponing the implementation is shifting the obvious cuz the agitation will keep growing.If a SS or SE person becomes president North will start their own.Why not we do the neccessary and fvck whereever the idea came from.
Stop being unreasonable.

True federalism is still possible without the implementation of that fraudulent conference report.

The NASS is a representation of the masses and they have the power to amend the constitution. And if a conference is the desirable option, it must have the required legal backing which the last one didn't have. That was just a political conference and not a national one.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Destined2win: 7:11am On Jun 04, 2016
I am really tried of talking about buhari's issues, he's just too backward

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by ElCount: 7:12am On Jun 04, 2016
People are really stupid, you want nigeria to remain united, and you don't want the president to implement the confab or restructure the country even when its obvious that the confab will solve the problems facing the country presently.

Imagine someone saying gmb shouldn't implement it because he opposed it right from the outset, isn't that an indication that you don't use your brains? Pmb was against a lot of things during the GEJ regime which he has subscribed to because its the right thing to do, things like; the fight against boko haram, The Subsidy, etc Even the TSA was GEJs' idea

A lot of idiots in this country

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by babyfaceafrica: 7:55am On Jun 04, 2016
Who confab report epp?....next!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by bright007(f): 8:11am On Jun 04, 2016
[size=20pt]One thing is certain and is a fact: As far as there is still oil flowing in the wells of Niger Delta and some parts of South West and none flowing in the North, No Hausa/Fulani or any Northern president will agree to true federalism nor implement the recommendations of a confab that hopes to separate an obligate parasite from its host.[/size]

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Kingspin(m): 8:11am On Jun 04, 2016
Some people just want to be president.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Olateef(m): 8:12am On Jun 04, 2016
This country is a joke

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by anonimi: 8:13am On Jun 04, 2016

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by mazimee(m): 8:14am On Jun 04, 2016
The confab took care of many issues facing the country, ignoring the confab is like a sick man ignoring his medication when he needs it the most. County will not enjoy rapid growth and peace if the confab is ignored.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Firefire(m): 8:15am On Jun 04, 2016
"The comment by the president shows a total disconnect with the Nigerian reality. The country is fast disintegrating and like Max Siollun wrote in the New York Times after the 2015 elections ‘Nigeria needs a reconstructive surgeon and not a bulldozer.’ If a leader is presiding over 52% of his country, he should know that something has to be done to improve on governance structure in an inclusive arrangement. That is the imperative of what Atiku captured succinctly in his recent intervention.

The recommendations of the 2014 National Conference are the panacea to elongate the tenure of Nigeria, which has practically entered a terminal crisis. And if any leader thinks he can use the force of arms to keep a dysfunctional country together, he should learn from the Soviet Union which collapsed without a single shot being fired with all its military might". Yinka Odumakin

Firefire:

The government of APC should immediately restructure Nigeria for us to know they meant the CHANGE.

“Nigeria stands in the corridor between greatness and failure, between progress and collapse, between hope and despair,” he said, adding that “Our fate depends on whether we summon the courage to take the bold steps and move in the direction. We must turn our present challenges into opportunities for the re-engineering of our nation’s economic challenges".

“Nigeria needs some fundamental restructuring both politically and economically,” Mr. Bola Ahmed Tinubu

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/199192-buhari-restructure-nigeria-tinubu.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:15am On Jun 04, 2016
Wetin Buhari know sef

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by butterboy: 8:16am On Jun 04, 2016
TheFreeOne:
•It’s your biggest mistake —Mike Ozekhome, SAN
•You are wrong, Delegates

By Henry Umoru & Levinus Nwabughiogu

The 2014 National Constitutional Conference was one of the boldest attempts in recent times in appraising the operational structure and system on which the country is run. The conference which was convened by President Goodluck Jonathan in 2014 however faced many controversies, the first of which was its acceptance. The 492 delegates of the conference following months of brainstorming finally came up with a report which among others sought the creation of nearly 18 more states, the systematic restructuring of the polity, rotational presidency, the creation of state police, the scrapping of state/local government joint accounts among several others.

The conference officially cost the Federal Government N9 billion which was besides incidental costs by state governments and other agencies of the administration. The report of the conference was submitted to President Jonathan who before he left office, handed them over to his successor, President Muhammadu Buhari as being among the major unfinished issues of his administration which he would want the new president to deal with.

However, his successor who had been largely mute on it finally responded during newspaper interviews to mark his first anniversary in office last week. President Buhari said despite the persuasion of his predecessor that he had not even read the confab report and that it would remain in the archives where according to him it rightly belongs.

He said: “I advised against the issue of National Conference. You would recall that ASUU was on strike then for almost nine months. The teachers in the tertiary institutions were on strike for more than a year, yet that government had about N9billion to organise that meeting (National Conference), and some (members) were complaining that they hadn’t even been paid. I never liked the priority of that government on that particular issue, because it meant that what the National Assembly could have handled was handed to the Conference, while the more important job of keeping our children in schools was abandoned. That is why I haven’t even bothered to read it or ask for a briefing on it, and I want it to go into the so-called archives.”

Responding to the president’s assertion, some prominent members of the conference, styled as delegates in various responses tackled the president, pointing out what they claimed as major highlights of the conference that should be implemented.

General Zamani Lekwot, rtd,

The 2014 National Conference report is the real formula to restructure this country, implementing the report is a solution to the nation’s problems. Ignoring the entire report would amount to asking where Nigeria is going because, during the conference, we had the best of Nigerians, all professions, age and class of people who represented various groups as well as the group of elder statesmen.

The implementation of the report can be done in phases, but throwing away the entire report will not help the country. Implementing the report will boost our economy, it would boost investment as that would help create a very conducive atmosphere for businesses to thrive and investors will come to the country. Implementing the report will also boost agriculture which used to be our mainstay, water would be improved, the inflation would be checked as well as lay a solid foundation for the development of the country. Implementing the conference report will address the issue of insecurity in the land. During the National Conference, I learnt a lot from other Nigerians, who were delegates.”

Former Permanent Secretary in Rivers State and a delegate to the conference, Dr. Patricia Ogbonnaya

It is being narrow-minded and unpatriotic because the president cannot claim that the report is entirely useless to the development of our country Nigeria. He should be reminded of the calibre of Nigerians who were at the conference. They were men and women who have excelled in their various fields of endeavour, including good performance as public and civil servants from the teething period of this country. Mr. President should know that no single individual has a monopoly of knowledge. He should take the good parts of the report and discard the so-called bad parts if he so wishes.

Former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Senator Aniete Okon

Throwing away the 2014 CONFAB report is a way of postponing the obvious. The President is living in denial of the reality of the country today which is to get the Nigeria project working properly. The return to true federalism is an inevitable panacea for the country’s problems which Nigeria is struggling with. The President should be encouraged to stop living in denial in stark reality of our country.

Former Presidential Candidate of the National Transformation Party, NTP, Deacon John Dara

The 2014 National Conference was an improvement in many ways on the previous Conferences and Constituent Assemblies. It was a compilation of resolutions on which Nigerians have, by and large, built consensus. It is unfortunate that the President has not read the report because I believe that it will be a useful guide for good governance in Nigeria for a long time to come. Unless the government wants to reinvent the wheel, it is wasteful to ignore the report. It may, in fact, become an albatross for any government that chooses not to implement the report because new movements and new leadership will rise to truly renew and re-engineer Nigeria.

Former Minister of Women Affairs, Iyom Josephine Anenih

The truth is that I did not hear him speak about it because I have not been around for some time. However if it is true that he said so by himself – that he will not consider the report – I would humbly advise him to reverse his decision. The President knows more than anybody else that government is a continuum. Successive governments strive to build on what the previous governments started building and not to dismantle and start again. The money spent on convening and running the 2014 National Conference is Nigerian tax payers’ money which must not be wasted.

We appreciate that there are a lot of issues on his plate to tackle right now, what with the increasing spate of insecurity and restiveness all over the country and the looming famine in the land. He may feel that considering the report may distract him. Paradoxically, implementing the far-reaching, well-considered resolutions which were consensually reached by representatives of every segment and delineation of this country, will prove to be the answer he is seeking right now. Even the monster called corruption that he is seriously fighting now was discussed and recommendations on how to destroy it were advanced.

Can we really say that the 2014 report will not be implemented, when several recommendations are already being implemented like the rehabilitation of the North East and a few others? If you read the report, there are recommendations for the Executive to implement, and there are recommendations that only the National Assembly can deal with.

Ezenwa Nwangwu

It’s his discretion to consider the report or not to, suffice to say that there are very important recommendations therein that could be useful in resolving the myriad of challenges facing the government. There are plethora of reports that never got attended to, the Oputa, Lemu, Uwais committees and all that.

Constitutional Lawyer, Professor Auwalu Yadudu

The report had three components; one, requires executive attention and the President is entitled to endorse or not and another is legislative intervention and it belongs to the National Assembly. If the National Assembly chooses to act on the report, nothing stops them.

I had a problem with the basis for convoking the conference; it did not go through the legal process of having a law backing it. It is a dignified presidential advisory Committee. Jonathan did not help matters; time was not enough, there was no white paper to indicate which or which one not to accept. They played politics with it. A report that has three components cannot be kept in the archives. If the National Assembly decides to look at it, they can, and if the presidency decides not to implement, they may have their reasons.”

Yinka Odumakin, Spokesperson of Afenifere Renewal Group, ARG

The comment by the president shows a total disconnect with the Nigerian reality. The country is fast disintegrating and like Max Siollun wrote in the New York Times after the 2015 elections ‘Nigeria needs a reconstructive surgeon and not a bulldozer.’ If a leader is presiding over 52% of his country, he should know that something has to be done to improve on governance structure in an inclusive arrangement. That is the imperative of what Atiku captured succinctly in his recent intervention.

The recommendations of the 2014 National Conference are the panacea to elongate the tenure of Nigeria, which has practically entered a terminal crisis. And if any leader thinks he can use the force of arms to keep a dysfunctional country together, he should learn from the Soviet Union which collapsed without a single shot being fired with all its military might.

Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN

For the president to attempt thrashing the 2014 National Conference report, to me, will be the biggest mistake of his administration. It will be ill advised and if you listen to the former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar two days ago, you will notice that the issue of restructuring the country is even now more urgent than it was in 2014 when former president Jonathan instituted the national confab. The issues will simply not go away because it borders on what is called the national question. It is at the very heart and soul of our nationhood experimentation.
Nigeria is still seeking nationhood because of the disparate nationalities, cultures, religious, languages, gender, tribes and idiosyncrasies all of which have led to great mutual suspicion and antagonism.

“It amounts to throwing away the baby with the bath water by rejecting in toto the conference report simply because it was authored during Jonathan’s government and simply because Jonathan was the one who convened the national conference. It is therefore critical that you look at the message and not thld look beyond Jonathan as a former president and beyond his government and look at the report itself which was the collective product of eminent Nigerians drawn from across the nooks and crannies of this country.

“In fact, there were times when almost fisticuffs were involved. There were abuses, insults, laughters, disagreements and then agreements. “The report was not just full and holistic, it took care of the challenges of Nigeria from amalgamation in 1914 up till now and how retool and re-engineer Nigerian so that we can become stronger not this one of disparite groups where Niger Delta Avengers wants a larger Niger Delta Federation; where IPOB wants a Biafra federation. We discovered that the agitations would continue to resurface. They are like sleeping magma which normally are dormant but grow up later into serious volcanic eruption. Because some people still feel shortchanged. Every region cries about marginalization. All Nigerians must be inward looking.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/buhari-confab-report-archives/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
them Don kolo finish
Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Jackrich: 8:18am On Jun 04, 2016
PassingShot:

The violent and destructive IPOB touts? The ND Avenging terrorists? The loquacious and useless PDP?

I can't help but keep wondering how you sleep at night.

Seriously !

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by Izonpikin: 8:18am On Jun 04, 2016
PassingShot:

what do you stand for my passingshot...true federalism or the same old sick system we run...

The more you guys run away from reality the more NDA touts as you call them teach your kind and the rest of nigeria a lesson...

You can stay abroad and type all you want from your phone ,but the heat is down here...

12 Likes

Re: Buhari: Confab Report Is For The Archives - Confab Delegates Reacts by cutetopsey(f): 8:18am On Jun 04, 2016
Noted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Tinubu's Supporters Await His Arrival From Paris At Lagos Airport / Abba Moro To Contest For David Mark's Senate Seat / Bashir Ahmed Replies Singer Skales After He Called Him An "Idiot"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.