Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year (33197 Views)

Buhari Announces Retirement From Public Functions,Releases Heartbreaking Message / Aisha Buhari Announces Zahra Buhari And Ahmed Indimi's Wedding / Why It Is Hard To Believe 3.4 Trillion Naira Was Truely Recovered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Unclerukus: 2:09pm On Jun 05, 2016
They'll still share that money among themselves or circulate it in the north. Not news
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by mecussey(m): 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
masterpiece86:
N115bn expected from Switzerland, UK, UAE, US

Abimbola Akosile in Lagos and Olawale Ajimotokan in Abuja

In line with the promise President Muhammadu Buhari made on May 14 in London to give details of looted funds recovered by the administration during the first anniversary of his presidency, the federal government yesterday released an interim report specifying the recovered cash and assets. The report contained in a statement in Lagos by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the cash recoveries made between May 29, 2015 and May 25, 2016, including recoveries under interim forfeiture (cash and assets), totalled over N3. 4 trillion. It said about N115 billion was being awaited from the Switzerland, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, and the United States.

Cash recovery within the period included N78,325,354,631.82 (Seventy eight billion, three hundred and twenty-five million, three hundred and fifty-four thousand, six hundred and thirty one Naira and eighty two kobo) and varying sums in other currencies, namely, $185,119,584.61 (One hundred and eight five million, one hundred and nineteen thousand, five hundred and eighty four US dollars, sixty one cents); 3,508,355.46 Pounds Sterling (Three million, five hundred and eight thousand, three hundred and fifty-five Pounds and 46 Pence), and 11, 250 Euros (Eleven thousand, two hundred and fifty Euros) from 29 May 2015 to 25 May 2016. These total about N144.9 billion.

Recoveries under interim forfeiture (cash and assets) during the period included N126,563,481,095.43 (One hundred and twenty six billion, five hundred and sixty three million, four hundred and eighty one thousand, and ninety five Naira, forty three Kobo) and the following amounts in other currencies: $9,090,243,920.15 (Nine billion, ninety million, two hundred and forty three thousand, nine hundred and twenty Dollars, fifteen cents); 2,484,447.55 Pounds Sterling (Two million, four hundred and eighty four thousand, four hundred and forty seven Pounds, fifty five Pence), and 303,399.17 Euros (Three hundred and three thousand, three hundred and ninety-nine Euros, 17 cents ). These come to about N3. 3 trillion.

Funds awaiting return from foreign jurisdictions included $321,316,726.1 (Three hundred and twenty one million, three hundred and sixteen thousand, seven hundred and twenty six Dollars, one cent); 6,900,000 Pounds (Six million, nine hundred thousand Pounds), and 11,826.11 Euros (Eleven thousand, eight hundred and twenty six Euros, 11 cents).

The recovered funds and assets were listed under four broad categories, namely, cash recoveries; recoveries under interim forfeiture; funds awaiting return from foreign jurisdictions, and non-cash recoveries.

The report also showed that there were non-cash recoveries (farmlands, plots of land, uncompleted buildings, completed buildings, vehicles and maritime vessels) totalling 239 items.

About N39,169,911,023.00 was recovered through the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which also secured $128,494,076.66, £2,355 and 11,250 Euros.

In addition, the sums of N5,665,305,527.41 and $8,000,000.00 were recovered from the on-going searchlight on the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), while the loots recovered by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and lodged with CBN were put at N2,632,196,271.71. Also N47.7 million, $1.94 million and £3.50 million in cash were recovered through the Department of State Services (DSS).

Under the report, cash recoveries involving royalty and tax payments to the federal government in JP Morgan account in New York was put at N4,642,958,711.48 (four billion, six hundred and forty-two million, nine hundred and fifty-eight thousand, seven hundred and 11 naira, forty-eight kobo), and $40,727,253.65 (forty million, seven hundred and twenty-seven thousand, two hundred and fifty-three dollars, sixty-five cents).

The office of the Attorney-General of the Federation also recovered N5,500,000,000 (five billion, five hundred million naira) and $5,500,000 (five million, five hundred thousand dollars) in cash.

Buhari had said in an interview during the global anticorruption summit in London, “So far, what has come out, what has been recovered in whatever currency from each ministries, departments and individuals, I intend on the 29th to speak on this because all Nigerians are getting from the mass media because of the number of people arrested either by the EFCC, DSS. But we want to make a comprehensive report on the 29th.”

The president faced widespread criticism when in his Democracy Day speech on May 29 he failed to disclose the recovered funds as promised.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/06/05/keeping-his-promise-buhari-announces-recovery-of-n3-4-trillion-in-one-year/

I cant find this money any anywhere in Nigeria, the TSA is empty and we have not aquired any new asset. I hope they use it judiciousley even if na only to generate 100mw of electricity

1 Like

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
while he keeps loosing 14billion everyday smh lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by obailala(m): 2:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
overall90:

the APC led government thrives on propaganda and sensationalism as you put it.the idea behind this expose is to hoodwink Nigerians into believing that such amount was stolen and has been recovered .even international media outlets are reporting it like that.
No I believe it was very clear to anyone from the original report released yesterday that the bulk of the money is just frozen funds belonging to suspects (interim forfeitures); the press release by Lai yesterday explicitly explained that only N78bn is the confirmed recovery. That the media decides to give sensational headlines today, or that Nigerians (both educated and uneducated) have refused to put their basic comprehension skills to use, I think anyone who doesnt comprehend the simple message only has himself/herself to blame.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by tundexijim(m): 2:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
buharifraud:

Feasibility studies. Look at this clown. Have you not noticed that your ministers and the FG have lost enthusiasm and hope. They are clueless on what to do, they have no money to even guess what to do, and are not even sure of what should be done. Don't worry, keep on fooling yourself, abi we are in this country.

The bitter truth is there nothing u can do abt the credibility of this government rather than to keep ranting on NL...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by amaechi1: 2:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
masterpiece86:
This guy's have no conscience. About half of this year's budget criminally stolen away, what will life owe to our children if this had continue unabated and unchecked...??

#May God continue to expose them one after the other, they shall know no peace anywhere they go.....!!

My brother Imagine another 4 years of PDP in power. For me let the loot be used for developmental project. I don't care whether names are attached or not. The recovery is the main thing.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by amaechi1: 2:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
buharifraud:
Utter nonsense. Fictitious figures splashed on the pages of newspapers with no real evidence. This government thinks every nigerian is a phool. You have recovered this much money, and yet you were going from country to country to beg like a dog. And after they all turned you down, you then placed a fuel tax on Nigerians. Keep on fooling yourselves and the pathetic Yorubas. In 2019, you will see wehn.

I hope Olisa Metu press conference announcing his willingness to return N400 million naira is also a lie.
Nigeria was judge failed nation because those who supported those that looted this country has failed Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by amaechi1: 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
obailala:
No I believe it was very clear to anyone from the original report released yesterday that the bulk of the money is just frozen funds belonging to suspects (interim forfeitures); the press release by Lai yesterday explicitly explained that only N78bn is the confirmed recovery. That the media decides to give sensational headlines today, or that Nigerians (both educated and uneducated) have refused to put their basic comprehension skills to use, I think anyone who doesnt comprehend the simple message only has himself/herself to blame.
N78 billion niara is not 78 kobo. That is a whole lot money and big achievement. All over recovery of stolen assets is huge task.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by OdiriEboh: 2:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
mecussey:

I cant find this money any anywhere in Nigeria, the TSA is empty and we have not aquired any new asset. I hope they use it judiciousley even if na only to generate 100mw of electricity

It will take time before the money would be used...
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by OdiriEboh: 2:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
mecussey:

But let's talk about the cold between thew CBN and systemspecs
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by shaqhead: 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
eleojo23:

OK. Thank you for the explanation.
Let's keep watching to see how the monies will be utilized.

Don't blame me for having my doubts. These guys are used to double speaking that we don't know what to believe anymore. They may come out to disown the figures later.

By the way, long time.
Yeah longest time....happy sunday!

Its very easy to get swamped with the "double speak" notion especially when you get carried away by the headlines of newspapers and social media these days. This is also not to say that there hasn't been times when this govt has contradicted itself!

I think we have to be circumspect and read in between the lines when reading whatever we read.

I will rather we praise when we need to and wait to see if our doubts manifest! Then we can do the needful!

Have a lovely week bro!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by amaechi1: 2:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
mandax:

What promise is Buhari keeping?

One of his genuine promises is to make one Naira equal to one Dollar.

Recovery of money made by previous administration but stolen by politicians is not fulfilling his promise.

People who would not see anything good in another often remain where they are, While others move ahead.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by October1960: 2:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
In developed countries there is less corruption because people get punished and have to return more than the proceeds of corruption.

In the USA many governors have gone to prison for reasons less than what government officials and politicians have done to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
STPEACE10:
Patiently Waiting For Mr Lia Mohammed statement on this.
Must you comment? The statement itself was made by Lai Muhammed himself, is there any other Lai Muhammad?
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Femmyfamous4u(m): 2:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
buharifraud:
Utter nonsense. Fictitious figures splashed on the pages of newspapers with no real evidence. This government thinks every nigerian is a phool. You have recovered this much money, and yet you were going from country to country to beg like a dog. And after they all turned you down, you then placed a fuel tax on Nigerians. Keep on fooling yourselves and the pathetic Yorubas. In 2019, you will see wehn.

you are just a chest-beater for nothing! I dob't know what tribe you are but I know one thing for sure that your tribe cannot determine who wins the election comes 2019. 2015 election proved just that! with the south east churning about 95% votes for PDP, it was not enough to guarantee PDP electoral victory. from time immemorial, whoever the YORYBAD vote en masse usually wins. if the YORUBAD feel disenchanted with APC and Buhari, they will definitely vote someone else. we don't blindly kowtow behind a politicians all in the name of "na our brother". if however there is no virile alternative as it appears at the monent, most YORUBAS will stick with the incumbent and your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by mecussey(m): 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2016
OdiriEboh:

It will take time before the money would be used...

When will the time be enough...? Cash is useless, if you don't do anything with it immidiately. I dont think this our presido can even manage a company not to talk of Nigeria, fuxkk!!!!!...wasted 4yrs.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by charlezdozie: 3:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
Lets form a party...anyone?
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by xquire(m): 3:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
Just once again, wen I tot APC is about get it right with dis anti-corruption war by givin us a concrete result, they come up once again wit a spined unrealistic figure to further decimate and stir up anger against the opposition party!..it's obvious that for APC campaign is not yet over, let's say the figure's genuine...dat means we have 3.4t returned loots, 3t TSA returns, 3t frm FIRS and 10-14 Billion a day frm crude oil(dats 5t in one yr) = 14t and we are still broke? C'mon who's fooling who is dis country? I pray for PMB to succeed (cos if he doesn't we will all bear d brunt irrespective of our tribe or political affiliation ) alas! He's yet surrounded by dsame scavengers dat put us in dis mess in the first place!..be wise n Pray for Naija becos our saviour is yet to come!
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by obailala(m): 3:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
amaechi1:

N78 billion niara is not 78 kobo. That is a whole lot money and big achievement. All over recovery of stolen assets is huge task.
Yeah N78bn is quite substantial, but it's a far cry from what is expected considering the diabolic pillagery which the nation was subjected to in recent years. I just hope and pray the over 3 trillion bit can be concluded and confirmed; that is when I would really roll up my sleeves and dance to a job well done.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by obailala(m): 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2016
xquire:
Just once again, wen I tot APC is about get it right with dis anti-corruption war by givin us a concrete result, they come up once again wit a spined unrealistic figure to further decimate and stir up anger against the opposition party!..it's obvious that for APC campaign is not yet over, let's say the figure's genuine...dat means we have 3.4t returned loots, 3t TSA returns, 3t frm FIRS and 10-14 Billion a day frm crude oil(dats 5t in one yr) = 14t and we are still broke? C'mon who's fooling who is dis country? I pray for PMB to succeed (cos if he doesn't we will all bear d brunt irrespective of our tribe or political affiliation ) alas! He's yet surrounded by dsame scavengers dat put us in dis mess in the first place!..be wise n Pray for Naija becos our saviour is yet to come!
A simple question, did you bother reading the report?.... or like most others you just read the title and proceeded to comment?
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by teebell999(m): 4:02pm On Jun 05, 2016
emiwanlee:
How are these figures fact, when we know that this government is about to kill us with lies

see them! €nemies of progress.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by kenoz(m): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
Hmmmm Hmmmmm
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by abdullahI24: 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
ArmedRobber:
Jesus..
Why economy no go crash.
E no go better for anybody wey dey support PDP..
And recovering of loots still going on,by the time dem finish.. E go reach 6trillion money for budget
even armedrobbers are surprised. PDP Power to the people INDEED!!
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Tarzaa(m): 5:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
I believe our people will now rest and allow the president to work!
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Jexyme(f): 6:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
masterpiece86:
This guy's have no conscience. About half of this year's budget criminally stolen away, what will life owe to our children if this had continue unabated and unchecked...??

#May God continue to expose them one after the other, they shall know no peace anywhere they go.....!!
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by mikolo80: 7:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
buharifraud:
name the country he begged and how much he begged for.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Excellentmind: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
Op, why 3.4 Trillion when the report says 126 Billion? lie doesn't take one far.
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by Seahawk: 9:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
Good job. Now put the money to use
Re: Buhari Announces Recovery Of N3.4 Trillion In One Year by xquire(m): 9:41pm On Jun 06, 2016
obailala:
A simple question, did you bother reading the report?.... or like most others you just read the title and proceeded to comment?
Well, I only stoop to buttress d "fact" dat in midst of plenty we are yet!...broke!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shehu Sani On Muslim- Muslim Ticket / Buhari To Give Portfolios To Ministers / Lawmakers Struggle To Shake President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.