Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,658 members, 7,813,218 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. (13300 Views)

How To Prevent Heart Attack At Any Age / Heart Attack Vs Cardiac Arrest Vs Stroke (pic) / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by infogenius(m): 2:39pm On Jun 14, 2016
The question now is how do i know i have a heart attack so i fetched
this.

Typical heart attack symptoms

Chest discomfort or pain

This discomfort or pain can feel like a tight ache, pressure, fullness or squeezing
in your chest lasting more than a few minutes. This discomfort may come and go.

Upper body pain

Pain or discomfort may spread beyond your chest to your shoulders, arms,
back, neck, teeth or jaw. You may have upper body pain with no chest discomfort.

Stomach pain

Pain may extend downward into your abdominal area and may feel like heartburn.

Shortness of breath

You may pant for breath or try to take in deep breaths. This often occurs
before you develop chest discomfort, or you may not experience any chest
discomfort.

Anxiety
You may feel a sense of doom or feel as if you're having a panic attack
for no apparent reason.

Lightheadedness

In addition to chest pressure, you may feel dizzy or feel like you might
pass out.

Sweating
You may suddenly break into a sweat with cold, clammy skin.

Nausea and vomiting

You may feel sick to your stomach or vomit.

Most heart attacks begin with subtle symptoms — with only discomfort
that often is not described as pain. The chest discomfort may come and
go. Don't be tempted to downplay your symptoms or brush them off as
indigestion or anxiety.

Don't "tough out" heart attack symptoms for more than five minutes.
Call 911 or other emergency medical services for help.

If you don't have access to emergency medical services, have someone
drive you to the nearest hospital. Drive yourself only as a last resort,
if there are absolutely no other options.

Heart attack symptoms vary widely. For instance, you may have only
minor chest discomfort while someone else has excruciating pain. One
thing applies to everyone, though: If you suspect you're having a heart
attack, call for emergency medical help immediately.

Source - http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-attack/in-depth/heart-attack-symptoms/art-20047744

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by otswag(m): 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
okuneddie:
Dozie Kaidi Obiaku

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN YOU
ARE ALONE

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint has only about 10 seconds left before losing
consciousness.
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!! A cardiologist says if everyone who sees this post shares it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save
at least one life.
Rather than sharing jokes only, please contribute by forwarding this information which can save a person's life.

na lie o. This isnt true

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by Iffffffy(f): 2:52pm On Jun 14, 2016
omron:
I think this is informative but doesnt work in all instances,my father knows about this method one day he came back from work and went to sleep in his room far from my mums room,so my mum said she heard my dad coughing 3 to 5 times in the midnight but in the morning he had already loss consciousness he later died 7pm in the night and when the autopsy was carried out he died of heart attack,,,,rip to him
same thing happened to my dad, rip to him

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by DedeNkem: 2:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
If you have a heart attack in Nigeria, you're f*ucked big time!
The best thing to do is, prevent it!

Read How to Prevent a Heart Attack.
Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by lepasharon(f): 2:57pm On Jun 14, 2016
How will I know I'm having a heart attack?
Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by ebsuguy(m): 3:05pm On Jun 14, 2016
okuneddie:
Dozie Kaidi Obiaku

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN YOU
ARE ALONE

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint has only about 10 seconds left before losing
consciousness.
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!! A cardiologist says if everyone who sees this post shares it to 10 people, you can bet that we'll save
at least one life.
Rather than sharing jokes only, please contribute by forwarding this information which can save a person's life.

How to Survive a Heart Attack When Alone

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER

Hundreds of people around the country have received an e-mail message entitled “How to Survive a Heart Attack When Alone.” This article recommends a procedure to survive a heart attack in which the victim is advised to repeatedly cough at regular intervals until help arrives.

The source of information for this article was attributed to Rochester General Hospital. This article is being propagated on the Internet as individuals send it to friends and acquaintances – and then those recipients of the memo send it to their friends and acquaintances, and so on.

We can find no record that an article even resembling this was produced by Rochester General Hospital within the last 20 years. Furthermore, the medical information listed in the article can not be verified by current medical literature and is in no way condoned by this hospital’s medical staff. Also, both The Mended Hearts, Inc., a support organization for heart patients, and the American Heart Association have said that this information should not be forwarded or used by anyone.

Please help us combat the proliferation of this misinformation. We ask that you please send this e-mail to anyone who sent you the article, and please ask them to do the same.

For reporters:

Other information on this issue can be found at The Mended Hearts, Inc. or at Urban Legends.

http://www.rochestergeneral.org/centers-and-services/sands-constellation-heart-institute/patient-education/how-to-survive-a-heart-attack-when-alone/

Cure this Contagious Rumor: Coughing Won’t Fend Off a Heart Attack
Despite a contagious rumor, coughing doesn’t prevent a heart attack. An e-mail that spread around the world like a contagious disease a few years ago claimed that anyone who feels heart attack symptoms while alone should cough “repeatedly and very vigorously, repeating a breath about every two seconds…until help arrives, or (a normal heartbeat returns).”
Wrong, says the American Heart Association.
“It’s right up there with voodoo as far as I’m concerned,” says Dr. Cary Fishbein, a cardiologist with the Dayton Heart Center.
The coughing technique known as “cough CPR” has been used in hospitals by physicians to treat sudden irregular heartbeats in monitored patients during cardiac catheterization procedures. In this case, a responsive patient who develops a sudden irregular heartbeat could possibly maintain blood flow to the brain and remain conscious for a few seconds if they cough vigorously and forcefully while being directed by a physician.
But traditional CPR is not used to treat heart attack victims who remain conscious – but only if the heart attack if followed by cardiac arrest, the American Heart Association says.
What You Should Do in the Event of a Heart Attack
The American Heart Association encourages you to:
Recognize the warning signs.
Take immediate action, including calling 9-1-1.
Begin CPR, using a combination of rescue breaths and chest compressions.
Get early access to automated external defibrillation (AED).
The signs of sudden cardiac arrest are:
Sudden loss of consciousness
Loss of responsiveness (no response to stimulation)
Absence of normal breathing
The best way to survive a heart attack is to avoid it altogether by getting early treatment for heart problems, Fishbein says. “If you think you might have heart disease, get checked out.”
Heart Attack Warning Signs
Here are some of the signs that can mean a heart attack is happening.
Chest discomfort – Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and come back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
Discomfort in other areas of the upper body – Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
Shortness of breath – This feeling often comes along with chest discomfort. But it can occur before the chest discomfort.
Other signs – These may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
If you or someone you’re with has chest discomfort, especially with one or more of the other signs, get help quickly (within five minutes). Call 9-1-1. Get to a hospital right away. Calling 9-1-1 is almost always the fastest way to get life-saving treatment.

http://mendedhearts.org/resources/about-heart-disease/the-coughing-rumor

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by ebsuguy(m): 3:07pm On Jun 14, 2016
lalasticlala oya remove it from front page.
Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by Btruth: 3:08pm On Jun 14, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/1278808/how-survive-heart-attack-when

Lol. grin

Kudos brother! I'm glad it hit the front page through you today. Let the people be aware of this silent killer.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by professore(m): 2:39am On Jun 15, 2016

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. [Quote]

Nice one

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by Baroba(m): 7:32am On Jun 15, 2016
PBundles:
Most importantly, for those prone (high BP, High Cholesterol, CV issues run within your family) to heart attacks ALWAYS carry aspirin! When you think you are having one, take two immediately. Aspirin thins the blood and can be vital to saving your life at that moment.

Actually if you are a high risk person, you should be taking approx 80 grams daily as prevention.

I was about to post before I saw your comment, great advice...

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. by omron(m): 1:31am On Jun 24, 2016
Iffffffy:
same thing happened to my dad, rip to him
eyaah such is life my dear.... am sorry about that

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN's 300,000 Doses Of COVID-19 Vaccines Arrive Nigeria / Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. / US Approves Once-a-day HIV Pill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.