Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. (13287 Views)

Massage Therapists In The House: Lets Discuss / Any Speech Therapist In The House? / “how Enugu Doctor ‘killed’ My Son’ – Senator Jim Nwobodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 6:46pm On Mar 04, 2012
Hi All,
I guess this is my first time of posting a new topic on the forum though i visit often.
My son was 3 years in November and his expressive speech is delayed.He is a very sweet boy,very active and friendly even to strangers.he however has poor eye contact and limited speech.
I had him evaluated by a speech therapist in Lagos last December and summary is that he needs speech therapy to help him along at least 3 times in a week.The challenge however is that i currently live in Warri where there is no such facility.My husband and i have discussed at length and have reached a decision to relocate preferably to portharcourt (due to his job and a few other considerations) or to Lagos if that does not work out.

Please folks,i would appreciate if anyone can give me contact of speech therapists in Portharcourt if any,so we can have him re-evaluated for a second opinion and start therapy if need be.

I have discussed with some paediatricians and very few can provide referrals or at least information on what the issue is.

He (my son) started talking at about one year then stopped.I work with him daily using flash cards and DVDs i got form bumblebee.com and teachmetoread.com.He can read and identify his alphabet and phonics,his numerals 1 to 14,basic shapes and colours  but only when i he wants to.He however has never answered his name,does not answer yes/no or basic questions,does not point at objects and has low eye contact.his attention span even for his age is very very short except when he is looking at a picture book which he loves.He has only recently been completely toilet trained.He has an older brother who is 5 years old
most times i wish to believe what everyone say,that he would outgrow it, but what if he doesn't
S
I don't want to wish in another few years that i had sought help for him earlier.Please help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by agiboma(f): 12:54am On Mar 05, 2012
Hello Daisy,

It seems like you have done a lot to help your son along and you should be commended for that. Now I am not a spech therapist but i have seen one in Canada, so i have so exposure to the role they play in the development of spoken words. Now here is what i recommend:

1.) When speaking to your son use as little words as possible, so if your asking him a question like if he wants a glass of water, dont say "do you want a glass of water" instead say "water" wait for him to look @ you then repeat "water"

2.) About the eye contact every child is different i dont want to say he is autistic because i think he is to young to be diagnoised with this disease.

3.) When introducing new objects to him try to repeat the name of it often, like more than once if your giving him cereal say "cereal" after some time he will begin to associate and know his cereal

4.) When you ask him a question and he is to respond tell him to "use his words" so you can understand his response, always encourage him to talk.

Personally i think your son is doing fine and you should not worry i know of 2 little boys that did not potty train until they where 5, so dont stress your little guy please mommy he is coming along and doing the best he can for now. Try not to stress yourself also. Most importantly dont compare him to other kids his age, he is unique and doing things his way.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 10:17am On Mar 05, 2012
Hi Agiboma,
Thanks for your response.We actually have and are still implementing the steps you pointed out above with him and that is why i think he has improved considerably.There are a few other issues i didn't raise especially as my post was getting too long E.G fetal distress at birth due to the cord around his neck and other social behaviors he exhibits like not playing with other children only adults,hiding under tables,chairs and in cupboards,hyperactivity especially at night and towards evenings.More importantly is the fact that he has words and can articulate them when he wishes,properly but for some reason decides to keep them to himself.For example he says words like 'My daddy' then goes quite on that for about a month or two before he says it again.he says 'mummy','eat', 'yummy-yummy' and 'good bye,see you , ' after which he goes mute for a very long time.other times he just screams ' say it!' and throws a tantrum.When that does not work,he just goes to the fridge or wherever to get what he wants by himself.When you ask him questions or coerce him to say he word,he just shuts his eyes and locks you out or he walks right out on you.Sometimes we catch him whispering words to himself like he is not sure of himself.Like i said,all these are recent improvements after we started working one on one with him at home and with the help of the speech enhancing DVDs and flashcards.I also started giving him omega 3(he hates to take it though)

Trust me,i would love so much for NOTHING to be wrong.My husband and i are doing our best not to push or fret too much but you know how it is with being parents,there is that urge to do something to bring out the best in your child.This is why we are seeking for professional help.If for nothing,just to tell us that there is nothing unusual going on or to provide a second opinion based on what the therapist in Lagos told us after assessing him.We don't want to be too pushy but we also know that living in denial would not be beneficial to us or to our son.

Still waiting for contact of speech therapists in Portharcourt.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by oxypress: 9:32pm On Mar 20, 2012
HBOT providers in Port Harcourt Nigeria; Phone: 08033409039 or e-mail: oxybreeze@yahoo.com

Hi daisyjo,

It is difficult for a doctor to treat a disease if a precise diagnosis is not known,(just as the police cannot get to a criminal if the identity is not known.)

The very short information you gave leaves the impression that your child is presenting with CP,(cerebral palsy) resulting in some form of developmental delays as a result of hypoxia, 'fetal distress' as it is usually referred to in our 'labour rooms'

The most sensitive organ to be affected by hypoxia is the brain which now controls all other functions of the body. The effects of hypoxia can last for a long time. The risk of waiting for nature to take its cause is questionable.

We provide hbot to patients with brain damage from birth or other causes. Hypoxia can lead to developmental disorders, cp, ADD/ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity disorders), dyslexia, stroke, diferent forms of paralysis. Hyperbaric Oxygen is also used as a complementery therapy to many other conditions including autism and non-healing wounds.

Speach therary is not all you need for your child because of the underlying cause which is hypoxia ie. oxygen deficit!

We are based in Port Harcourt. Appointment is free and by invitation.

Signed:Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, (HBOT)Providers.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by agiboma(f): 10:47pm On Mar 20, 2012
oxypress: HBOT providers in Port Harcourt Nigeria; Phone: 08033409039 or e-mail: oxybreeze@yahoo.com

Hi daisyjo,

It is difficult for a doctor to treat a disease if a precise diagnosis is not known,(just as the police cannot get to a criminal if the identity is not known.)

The very short information you gave leaves the impression that your child is presenting with CP,(cerebral palsy) resulting in some form of developmental delays as a result of hypoxia, 'fetal distress' as it is usually referred to in our 'labour rooms'

The most sensitive organ to be affected by hypoxia is the brain which now controls all other functions of the body. The effects of hypoxia can last for a long time. The risk of waiting for nature to take its cause is questionable.

We provide hbot to patients with brain damage from birth or other causes. Hypoxia can lead to developmental disorders, cp, ADD/ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity disorders), dyslexia, stroke, diferent forms of paralysis. Hyperbaric Oxygen is also used as a complementery therapy to many other conditions including autism and non-healing wounds.

Speach therary is not all you need for your child because of the underlying cause which is hypoxia ie. oxygen deficit!

We are based in Port Harcourt. Appointment is free and by invitation.

Signed:Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, (HBOT)Providers.

She does not need this service for her son. Your service is best for people suffering from respiratory issues, please dont try to push this service on someone because of money, ohh come on have a heart its a kid we are talking about here.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by oxypress: 1:41pm On Mar 24, 2012
Some patients who had fetal distress ( hypoxia ) during labour may

end up with cerebral palsy sooner than expected even after being

certified as fit to go home.

Cerebral palsy is a neuro-developmental disorder which can affect the

child in different ways.

CP is a result of oxygen deficit to the brain cells. It can cause

damage or death of some neurones in the brain.

Hyperbaric oxygen is capable of repairing or reactivating these

damaged neurones making them to return to proper functioning because

os its properties. When used in addition to other therapies the

outcome is much better.

The notion that hbot is mainly used for respiratory issues is not

correct and capable of misleading patients who stand to benefit.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is very cost effective.

HBOT Providers
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
Hi,Aigboma and HBOT,
Thanks for taking out time to read and respond to my post.I have been very busy lately,so sorry for not responding.@HBOT,i am sure you mean well but my son does not have cerebral palsy.He was diagnosed with mild-moderate autism using several checklists including ATEC.I am currently doing several investigations and tests to see what might be affecting him and so far have been told he has gluten and egg allergies,he also has some heavy metal toxicities and yeast issues which i plan to address using biomedical treatment.For now,within a few months i have notice[left]d great improvements using a combination of speech and behavioral therapy as well as diet restrictions i.e taking him off most processed food,more veggies,fruits and fresh food.

i also have replaced cow milk and dairy with rice milk.He is doing therapy 8 hours daily excluding weekends.I also try to take him out more so he can interact with other kids.

I have been doing lots of research on my own and have heard of several therapies including HBOT which i understand has significant relief for some symptoms of autism and other developmental conditions but there is no major scientific proof.This is however the same with several other therapies such as son-rise,cranio sacral therapy,homeopathy,chelation etc and does not mean that they do not work.It is pertinent to point out here that autism symptoms are different in different individuals,suggesting also that its cause and possible treatment method varies from person to person.For now,i am not desperate enough to want to try every therapy that comes my way especially as Aigboma rightly pointed out,it is a child we are talking about.

Speech therapy and diets have worked for us so far.Just yesterday i was trying to take my son to be bathroom to have his last 'wee' for the night as soon as i noticed him dozing off and he grumpily said 'no,I'm sleepy'! He wasn't talking that much just a few moths ago.

My son is a special child and i am working on embracing his peculiarities- expand his strengths(he has quite a lot,far ahead of his peers and work on his weaknesses (mainly language and social skills). God gives special gifts to special people like me cool.I believe autism is treatable,i have read several recovery stories and have seen a child who is almost fully recovered(in Nigeria)!

I hope i haven't bored you much with my rantings grin
stay blessed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by chikitto(f): 6:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
Pls could you tell me which speech therapist you are using cos av bn lookin for one in portharcourt
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 8:38am On Aug 15, 2012
you can call Amaka on 09097142359 to book a consultation and assessment or contact Pleasant Places Therapy Centre, Portharcourt on 08023306107 or pleasantplacescentre@yahoo.com for assessment and therapy services as well as peer support and counseling on autism , learning disabilities and other special needs therapy in Portharcourt.
You can also email me directly on gedaisy2000@yahoo.com.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by chikitto(f): 10:06am On Aug 15, 2012
Tks a lot daisy I sent u an email now would like to talk with you
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by hardesuwah: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hi Daisy,

I hope you dont mind i send you an email too.My daughter has some of the autistic symptoms and i need a behavioural and speech therapist in lagos.thanks
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
No probs,Adesuwa.Send ur number too so we can talk.Meanwhile check out jjcalvary speech therapists at ilupeju.i will search for d lady's phonenumber.Assesment is abt 15k and they are quite proffessional and empathetic.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by amenamen1010: 6:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
Hi Daisyjo...
also in the same boat, will email you cheers
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 9:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
No probs..
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by UmericanGirl(f): 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2012
I wish I could recommend somebody for you.. It does sound to me like it could be CP or something on the autism spectrem, however I personally think autism is diagnosed way too often. Apraxia perhaps?

I hope you get answers and treatment!
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by hardesuwah: 9:40am On Oct 08, 2012
Hi Daisy,

I just sent you a long message.How is your baby and how is his receptive language?does he understand and follow instructions?
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by bayooz(m): 8:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
You can also visit Department of Special Education, University of Ibadan. Or call their HOD 08056981144. He could guide you as well.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by chowchow: 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
Thanks for the posts so far.Please let us keep this thread alife.I have 2 kids,one is 41/2 and the other 3 years old,they both sing most nursery rhymes,say daddy,understand most things we say9sit,come,tke,hand etc) but cannot have a conversation yet.they play willingly with adults and children and only throw tantrums when they are unhappy about something(maybe delay in food preparation etc)i have taken them to several centers and they said they are not autistic and will talk sooner than i know.but i can't help been worried .Presently we have a speech therapist that has been working with them for over 7 months but i can't see any improvement.Allthey have learnt is what we have taught them at home.
Please help,am writing from Lagos
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by scholar73(f): 6:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
Hello all....
I have read all the posts pertaining to this topic and I have to say that my heart goes out to you parents dealing with your special children. Daisy, I am glad that your son is getting the help he needs. I also believe, based on you description of his behavior, that he is on the autism spectrum. I am glad he is responding to behavior intervention strategies and that you were able to get him a speech therapist. When children show signs of being autistic, their greatest chance of leading anything close to a "normal" life is when intervention is started an an early age, prefereably before they turn 8. That is why it is very important as parents to investigate any behavior that is "unusual" and be aware of the expected behavior at each age or milestone, and be concerned when our children are not exhibiting such behavior.
"Chowchow" based on your description of your children's behavior, I do not believe they are autistic. However, I am glad you are getting them some help with speech. Again, there could be a number of reasons for the delayed speech; especially for the younger child, who does not see the older sibling talk much and may just be emulating him/her. Do they have opportunities to interact with kids their age? Perhaps you can put them in a school/play group where they can see other children talking and interacting, and that may be all they need. I will stop here because my post is getting rather long

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by odela: 10:24am On Jun 27, 2013
Hi I am iguodela, I stumbled on this forum when I was searching the internet for treatments for delayed speech in a child. My nephew is 4years + he's going to be 5years old on the 12th of December 2013, his speech is delayed he hasn't been to any speech therapist or diagoned of anything yet but hs not able to say words coherently...he responds to certain things not everything. For example if you ask him 'How are you?' He replies "I'm pine". If you say "Praise the Lord" he replies "Halleluyah". If you say any prayer and at the end you say "In Jesus name I pray" he replies "Amen!".
If you calll his name he comes to you but if he's in another room he won't respond or answer to his name.If u ask him to go get something he brings several stuff on d same table until he finally takes the right one.he also says words like "On it","Stop it", instead of "Leave me alone" he says "Ni Ni Alone!!"When he wants something he goes there to get it himself or grabs your hand and takes to the fridge or cupboard or kitchen.But he can't make any conversation with anyone at all. He doesn't shy away from starngers that was before when he was much younger, now he's friendly...he watches educational DVds and he sings along but its not clear enough as a boy his age should sound. He remembers almost all the scenes on his television programs, he repeats or says what the character in the cartoon or children program are about to say...while he's watching but it sounds like baby talk cos he just mumbles the words not clear enough.he hasn't been toilet trained yet..if watched closely you can tell he wants to pee.but he never come to you and say he wants to pee instead he pees all over himself. If you say to him "Emma wee wee"? He follows you immediately to the bathroon to pee. If he poops on himself he come to you and says 'Emma poo poo" and he takes your hand to his behind so youcan see for yourself.
People have said he's slow talker but will outgrow it and that's why we been waiting and watching him all this while but I'm scared its not improving.He can't eat most meals by himself he has to be fed like cereals, rice, but he eats palantain fried eggs, those meals he can easily pick up with his hands. We noticed that in school he eats by himself but doesn't at home.I forgot to mention he says things to himself repeatedly but we cannot make out what he's saying. If he's given food and doesn't want you to feed him he screams "Its my own" ...or says "Gimmeee". He is very hyperactive all day jumping, playing with toys, flapping his hands, shrieking all d time , unless he's asleep that when there's peace and quiet in the house.
Please what do I do? I just read about 'J&J Calvary speech and hearing center in Lagos we plan to take him there for assesment although we are based in Benin city Edo state at the moment.
Does anyone think he will outgrow it or is it someting else like Aprasia (Speech).he is very intelligent and has a rententive memory.he plays with other kids a lot but mumbles words the kids cannot understand.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by amenamen1010: 12:42pm On Jun 27, 2013
@odela
How is his eye contact, does he point at things of interest or if he wants something?
Please take him to be assessed as soon as possible... In the mean time try as much as possible to engage him always and communicate with him all the time, read regularly to him. Don't give him anything willingly except he tries to vocalise it... you have to vocalise first numerous times and let him try and imitate you.

email me at amenamen1010@yahoo.co.uk

@daisyjo
How is your little one doing...
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by k4kenny(f): 1:50pm On Jun 27, 2013
Good thing I found this thread. My son turned 2 in May and it worries M̶̲̅ε̲̣ his speech and expressiveness isn't on track with his peers. I've tried to stop comparing him with other tots, I just don't know what age to get worried and start involving professional help.
We've enrolled him in school, played educational dvds, I speak slowly to him in a singsong manner, but his speech devt is really slow. He doesn't even pronounce his name properly and its just 2 syllables sad
Just recently he improved, strated understanding basic things like come, bring ur shoes, cup and kiss ur sister grin
Another thing that worries M̶̲̅ε̲̣ is his temper. Whenever he can't express himself he throws nasty tantrums like throwing furniture, biting M̶̲̅ε̲̣ and hitting his head on the floor (this part worries M̶̲̅ε̲̣ most). Let M̶̲̅ε̲̣ not go on about potty training stress. The post will continus for miles if I start on that one.
Some of daisyjo's post describe him alomst to d letter shocked. He used to be such a sweet and tolerant baby, said his first word (mama cheesy) at 10 months. Don't know how his behaviour completely changed cry
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by odela: 2:45am On Jul 01, 2013
Amenamen:Hello thanks for replying my post. Yes he points at things he wants sometimes when he can't reach it cos it high up on d shelf or fridge or beyond his reach,but once his hands can get 2 it he just goes there and takes it himself. He throws a tantrum or screams or loud shrieking if he doesn't seem 2 be getting what he actually wants. He takes your hand and pulls you towards the room or to the exact spot where what he wants is located...His eye contact is perfect...he's very bold even to strangers...he looks @ people straight in the eyes. He remembers and recollects things you least expect him to...especially things on tv.If any1 mobile phone is ringing he knows which is which so he takes d phone and runs to the exact owner of the phone.
He can now bottom his shirts without any aid no one taught him that ,he sometimes mixes it up though, guess he learnt it just 4rm watchin 'Pre-School Power' DVDs where kids under 6 do several stuff on their own.....if you bring out clothes for him 2 wear he looks at it and if he doesn't want that particular top/shirt, he takes it 4rm you and keeps it in d drawers so u can pick another one or he picks it himself and hands it 2 you to help him put it on.
His attention span is not high cos he jumps here and there even when he ought 2 be concentrating, then comes back to continue again. He sings along when watching his Dvds for children but d words aren't clear just gets d tone that's all..he cannot handle pencils unless his hands are held so he can write figures of letters of the alphabeth in his home/work
He'll be assessed as soon as possible. Thanks for your time and patience pls do forward your phone number so I can call you sometime okay.m
My email address: odelababy@yahoo.com
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 9:09am On Jul 01, 2013
@amenamen.my son is doing very well.I am amazed at how far we have come in the last one year and half.God has been merciful.My son talks now,his conversation skills are improving daily, so are his social skills.He can feed himself,responds to his name,better eye contact,hyperactivity has reduced a lot,he is more composed and focused and a lot of the behaviors that classified him as autistic are gone no.He is recovering very fast and at a pace that amazes me.A few months ago we discovered that he has an unusual gift for reading.He reads and pronounces very complex words and sentences to the amazement of many including his teachers.H e does social play and pretend play e.g attempting to feed his teddy,pretending to cook etc.He dresses and undresses himself without help.There are still some behaviors that we are still grappling with like he recently started echolalia which makes him repeat questions you ask him before he answers.so when you say 'what do yu want' he replies 'what do you want' before he says 'water'.He can answer 'yes' and 'no' appropriately and he enjoys playing pranks at me.He also says 'sorry' when he has done something to upset you and would pray before he sleeps.He writes and reads and identifies up 1 to 200 if he wants to.he knows his alphabets and phonics and would write both small and capital letters when in the mood.He vehemently refuses to have anything to do with numbers.If you ask him to write '1', he would write 'one' instead.He sometimes ignores parts of numbers e.g he would see 106 and say 6 or 10 leaving either the first part or last part behind.
He still does speech and behavior therapy but we reduced to two hours at home daily.His therapist only goes to school twice weekly now though it was formerly everyday.He participates in assembly etc.I have had to change therapists and organizations about four times as most of them do not have a heart for the job or do not know what they are doing.He shows interest in music so we got him a set of drums and a piano which he uses sometimes.He is almost obsessed with shapes and would go to bed with a round object(any one) daily.He calls those objects circle.
Over the past months,i have supplemented him,chelated and used homeopathy.These i did based on findings from specific tests we did to test for allergies,mineral and vitamin deficiencies,metabolic issues and heavy metals.
He is completely off the GFCF diet after over a year on it.We however still limit his intake of processed foods,unhealthy snacks and drinks which make him spacey and hyperactive.Cellfood mineral oxygen water helped a lot with his gut issues.He still takes this daily.He also does his epsom baths weekly and bentonite clay bath weekly too.Essential oils like lavender,ylang ylang, vetiver and cedarwood used to massage his week helped his sleep too but he doesn't need them anymore.Homeopathy and supplements like DMG,Folinic acid,B6 and L carnosine also helped with his speech greatly.
I started a Blackeberry group-SUPERMOMS as a support group for mums with children who have development challenges and many of the members are from Nairaland.Together we have embraced hope and every little improvement in our kids is worth celebrating.we share tips and ideas and no matter how distraught we feel,there is always someone on the group with a listening ear.
@ Iguodela, your nephew may not be on the spectrum but he sure needs a lot of help.Early intervention is key and trust me, most of the work,you guys would have to do alone.I have met several doctors and most of them know next to nothing about autism or speech and development delays such as .Sadly,many do not want to know and this is not only in Nigeria.Getting a proper diagnosis is difficult.They like us mothers are groping for answers but unlike them,we cant wait!
@K4KENNY,over time i have come to respect a mother's power or intuition.When a mum thinks there is something about her child,usually,there is.I would advice that you get him assessed and right away start addressing the issues you are identifying.Aggression and self injurious behaviors such as head banging are major red flags.I have attached an assessment form here which would give you an idea but PLEASE don't be quick to label your child as several tools will be used to determine if he is on the spectrum or not.Also,accurate diagnosis cant be made until he is 3 years old but you need not wait.Clean out his diet,help him eat healthy,socialize with his peers. Although quite difficult be sure to let him know that aggressive behaviors and tantrums are unacceptable behaviors.
You can email me on gedaisy2000@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by odela: 12:16pm On Jul 01, 2013
@Daisyjo: I am so so happy for you at the speedy recovery of your son may the good Lord be praised!!
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by amenamen1010: 8:39am On Jul 02, 2013
@daisyjo
This is fantastic news! keep up the good work! i will send you my details so that i can join your group...
You have done extremely well, keep it up... we have a genius in the making!

@Odela
From what you have written, his eye contact is good which is a good sign and he points which is also good, he communicates with you in his own little way but he needs to move form gestures to verbal communication. And like Daisyjo said it has to be learn't at home.. There are loads of information on the internet..
Please keep all the things he want out of reach and prompt him to vocalise for it . you will have to tell him first and let him try and repeat after you. you can select 5 items and work with him all day every day ( when he is home)... Learning to communicate the basic needs like food, water, toys they like etc is important. And ofcourse when he asks for it you give it to him immediately this will serve as a reward or reinforcer for him asking again.... Ideally for him to grasp it it has to be done loads of time on a daily basis. As long as he is making progress we are on the right track..

My children are making progress though i wish it was faster, they know their all their academic stuff colors, shapes, number and alphabet and they can recognise them. They also know phonetics sounds , and can label ( though not clearly as we need to work on correct pronounciation) alot of items at home which they couldn't do a few months ago ( when we started 2 hours daily activities at home after school, they learn't all these, definitely not at school) and can write a few numbers and alphabets and their names.....
it is constant work with them daily...

It is well...

Will keep in touch smiley

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by tayo576: 7:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hello, Pls I ve a year and five month old baby that has never say a word not even da da or ma ma, I ve really been worried since wen he was 5month that he is surpose to ve bin saying some words. I took him to a pedestrian but he could not diagnose anything. But some people said he is just slow that nothing is wrong. He grow is first teeth after one year and I also notice that if if one teeth spears it take like 2month bfor the teeth show well. But he hears everything I say to him. If he need water he goes to dispenser so I will no what he needs. And another thing is that he is yet to walk he still crawls. What do I do? What could be wrong pls?
Thanks.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by nikkygal(f): 8:41am On Sep 09, 2013
daisyjo:

@K4KENNY,over time i have come to respect a mother's power or intuition.When a mum thinks there is something about her child,usually,there is.I would advice that you get him assessed and right away start addressing the issues you are identifying.Aggression and self injurious behaviors such as head banging are major red flags.I have attached an assessment form here which would give you an idea but PLEASE don't be quick to label your child as several tools will be used to determine if he is on the spectrum or not.Also,accurate diagnosis cant be made until he is 3 years old but you need not wait.Clean out his diet,help him eat healthy,socialize with his peers. Although quite difficult be sure to let him know that aggressive behaviors and tantrums are unacceptable behaviors.
You can email me on gedaisy2000@yahoo.com

@Tayo576. . .I think the advice from daisy up there to Kenny also applies to you. Please trust your intuition and try looking for a speech therapist for your son. You can try mailing daisy (her e-mail is up there) on ideas how you can help stimiulate his interest in talking and also how you an overcome these speech development delays. I know it won't be automatic, but gradually you'll see a remarkable improvement. As for his delayed walking, try visiting other paediatricians for a 2nd/3rd opinion.

A mother's intuition is hardly wrong. . . .you know your son and youunderstand him better than any one else. Kindly start seeking help quickly as it's always better to tackle these delays at an early stage than when they are much older.

Wishing you the very best . . . . .Good luck!
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by k4kenny(f): 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thanks so much daisyjo. I'm still keeping my good eye on him. In the 3 months or so since I made my post, he has improved in some ways. The head banging has stopped (phew), still not talking but he repeats words after us. I take this as a good sign. He still can't express himself. He could bring his cup or biscuit to show what he wants. Most times he just screams continuously and we're left to figure out what his issue is.
As for the potty training, he's as good as trained. He doesn't come to tell me he's pressed, he usually goes on his own and does his thing grin
His sppech range still isn't up to his peers but I've notices improvements.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by tayo576: 8:47am On Sep 10, 2013
Thanks, I ve mail daisyjo herself and she has been of a great help. Believing a change will come soon. Its nice meeting great mothers here.....thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. / Good Samaritan Pays N1.2m Hospital Bills For Poor Patients In Imo State / COVID-19 Update For October 15 2020 In Nigeria - (4,848 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.