Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Must You Have An American/british Accent To Hold Down A Job On Radio? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Must You Have An American/british Accent To Hold Down A Job On Radio? (655 Views)

Got A Job On The Island,need Recommendation For Hostel / Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / BAT Nigeria Salary Scale: Salary Of British American Tobacco PLC Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Must You Have An American/british Accent To Hold Down A Job On Radio? by Deeaka: 2:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
Radio is FUN!
Radio is Entertaining!
Radio is interactive!
Radio is life!

After learning how to captivate your audience and lock down their attention, you finally stroll into the Labour market and you did not even Labour one bit to get that dream job as a radio presenter...
You start off with the regular naija girl accent but feeling intimidated by your experienced colleagues and their sweet sweet oyinbo accents(fake and original) you decide to adopt one too.
You struggle everyday to maintain it, in between sentences, you fall into your thick Ibo accent "Nna mehn" and you suddenly realize so you snap back into the acquired accent.

This routine is tiring.

Nigerians, I believe in authenticity, originality...

Re: Must You Have An American/british Accent To Hold Down A Job On Radio? by Papertrail11(m): 4:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
most esp dose ones from beat fm dey disgust me from toolz to segun to osi team fake accent and the people dat handle morning rush too

the truth it just be yourself slighty funny and always make ur opinion uniquely diff and pple will be dying to call in to have a chit chat wif yu loook at wazobia fm pple from opj twi twi dose guys are killn it

1 Like

Re: Must You Have An American/british Accent To Hold Down A Job On Radio? by Deeaka: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
Papertrail11:
most esp dose ones from beat fm dey disgust me from toolz to segun to osi team fake accent and the people dat handle morning rush too

the truth it just be yourself slighty funny and always make ur opinion uniquely diff and pple will be dying to call in to have a chit chat wif yu loook at wazobia fm pple from opj twi twi dose guys are killn it

You know it's easier to talk in pidgin English as you have no worries about grammatical errors and all that. You just say the first thing that comes to mind.

I think the pressure is coz of the standard that has already been set.
I was in Kogi early this year and I tuned in to Tao Fm, can't remember the frequency, the lady anchoring the show that day was just spitting blunders covered with oyibotic and irritating accent, it's gonna be hard tracing the descent of that accent mehnnn... She had this Ebira sound, bad English but sealed with an accent.
The pressure in the industry is real.
I still love Mannie of cool Fm, he is so real...

(1) (Reply)

A Strong Worded Message To All Nigerian Youths. Must Read! / Who Else Is Seeing This Error - In UI PG Application Document Upload / Online Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.