Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,828 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

My Bicycle Restoration Project - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Bicycle Restoration Project (17075 Views)

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project / Aston Martin Unveils ₦7.6m Bicycle, Would You Buy It?(Photos) / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 4:41pm On Jun 15, 2016
See me thinking my older post earlier today came up. It did not because the network wasnt so good. These just came in today! My brown tires and brown leathered handlegrips! I would be returning the handlegrip because i got another that matches the saddle. I am looking for uniformity. It would add more class to the project.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by MrPristine: 4:47pm On Jun 15, 2016
redcliff:

Strongly doubt that! But this would be a motorized wheel.

Alright thanks.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Was a bit skeptical though. The wheel size is 26 x 1.50. Samw size with the tires but i couldnt find this particular colour in that size and i decided to go for the 26 x 1.75 measurement and hoping it was gonna work. Tried it on the wheel to see how it goes and it was absolutely fine.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by alatbaba1(m): 4:19am On Jun 16, 2016
I dey follow u like madt. Ride on
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 11:11am On Jun 16, 2016
man, the matt brown plasti dip spray I bought, although i like it but I just have a feeling it might not be so good in the long run because a bicycle comes in contact with a lot of things such as the rider's foot and scratches from other bikes when parked and it could fall due to wind and other careless bike users. Decided I might not be using that matt brown plasti dip anymore and I would go for a more permanent spray but it must still be brown. The project seems to cost more than i already budgeted. Phew! (unforeseen[i]s[/i]).

Heres what I did over the night

1. spray painted the fork of the bike to brown which I tore off this morning (thats one of the benefits of the plasti dip technlogy)
2. Spray painted the handlebar one more time to give it a finished look and i carefully wrapped it away because its gonna be a long time i would be needing it
3.spray painted the fender holders matt black which i left to dry downstairs right now.
4. covered the gears of the bicycle with masking tape because i dont want it to accumulate lots of scratches.

Would put up pictures of them in the same manner when i have the chance to..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSJ6Uxkqdg

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:46pm On Jun 20, 2016
These just came today..
1. Tire levers (3)
2. Crank arm puller
3. 14 and 15mm wrench tool
4. Chain remover.

Although i used a super old method to take out the tires, it was really dangerous cos i coulda punctured the tube and it was a bit difficult. So for subsequent times, i would be using the tire levers. Super cool stuff.

The crank arm is proving really sturbborn and i guess it has never been unscrewed before so its gonna be a hard one. I just oiled the thing and left it there.

Took away the chain with ease as the chain remover tool proved very handy.. would try to see if the oil softened the crank arm bolt tomorrow. I used used ground nut oil btw. Lmao!

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
Stripped the decals of the handlebar stem as im preping it for a matt black finish. Taking this out was not as it was it seems the decal was almost embedded on the metal. I placed it in really hot water for minutes before it started to stuborrnly come out..

I think i would be professionally respraying the frame. I made a few research and i found out that only powder coating would give it a fine finish. Others do try but mostly bicycle manufacturers use powder coating for first spray so it wouldnt be a bad idea towing that route. A bit expensive i must say but man.....just gonna get it over with!

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 7:39am On Jun 24, 2016
Super vintage helmet just in... tongue
Thats exactly the colour of brown the frame would take.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by olite93(m): 12:03am On Jun 25, 2016
hi, pls how much r yu budgeting cos I'm thinking of doing same to my ordinary bike following your guides
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:02am On Jun 25, 2016
olite93:
hi, pls how much r yu budgeting cos I'm thinking of doing same to my ordinary bike following your guides

Hi. Its roughly 475k. It was originally supposed to be 317-340k but the cost of powder coating and extra payment for shipment of some electrical equipments shot the price up.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:43am On Jun 25, 2016
I would have loved to do a video on how i took out the crank arm. This was a very tasking activity because i thought i bought the wrong tool only for me to discover i wasnt doing something right. One thing folks should know is that most crank arm bolts are 14mm or 15mm. So if you need to get a wrench tool get one that is of both sizes. Look at my previous post and see exactly what i am talking about.

Here is how it works, to take out the crank arm, some bicycles have three things you should do,

1. Take out the crank arm bolt cover (mine had none)

2. Take out the crank arm bolt with either a 14 or 15mm wrench tool. You would need to do this for both sides of the pedal. Make sure you are turning the wrench tool anti ckockwise while forcing the pedal to move in a clockwise position. I can tell you this is hard as i doubt this one has ben loosed before. I had to oil that part for days before giving it a final push. But it was still hard.

3. Take out your crank arm puller tool. Screw it tight to the crank arm compartment, after doing that, turn the tool clockwise till it meets some resistance. at this point you would know the crank arm ouller has gotten to hinge that holds the pedal to the bike frame. Tightenen it more and the pedal falls off. Do it for both sides.

•Picture 1 show the crank arm puller already fastened to the compartment
•picture 2 shows the pedal out
Pic 3. This fell off from somewhere but i dont know yet and it makes me worried a bit.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
Nice project.

If I was to restore a bike it would be a classic.

Pic 1) My current bike
Pic 2) Wifeys bike

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2016
@EgunMogaji Nice racing and city bike you got. Were they expensive too? I wonder what the price range of bicycles are in the states. In the end this bicycle might look classic. There are a few things that would make it look so. I guess. We would see when i am done with the project.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jun 25, 2016
redcliff:
@EgunMogaji Nice racing and city bike you got. Were they expensive too? I wonder what the price range of bicycles are in the states. In the end this bicycle might look classic. There are a few things that would make it look so. I guess. We would see when i am done with the project.

The Wifes bike is about $350, her first bike so she's just learning. My Bike is under $2,000 on sale. I wish I can ride a full carbon bike but I am still too heavy.

Good luck on your project.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hi folks. Been a while i updated this thread. I had free time today... no work. So i decided to put some little effort on my project. I went to the do-it-urself store to get a few tools i could use to work on my bicycle. I got a gas mask and degreaser and two matt black spray paint. Yes, i finally decided to spray paint it black and do it myself for a number of factors.

1. The Matt brown i tried to paint it to was a bit expensive ranging from 70k- 105k. I wanted to go for the 70k option but i thought i should not spend that much on this project because its not really worth in the end ( not that worth it but this is not really my dream bicycle. There was no point for me to throw that money on it. Although i plan to make another one when i am done). This would have been professionally done for me but decided that i would be taking this on myself.

2. The second reason was that i would have a problem with aesthetics because being in matt brown, there would be wires i would be running through some parts of the bike when i am doing the conversion. This would not look good because it would be too conspicuous. Anyway, its black all through and brown tires with brown leather saddles and grips.

Did not really plan I was going to do the spraying today. It was very spontaneous as one thing led to the other and i found myself preping it for painting.

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2016
The bike was a bit greasy though. Coupled that i wanted to take away the decals on the body of the bike. This was very hard. I tried to use a heat gun substitute (hair dryer) a heat gun would have done the job better because it produces heat waves as high as 800°c or more. But it was no where to be found as the one i have is in nigeria and i want to reduce my cost as much as possible. So i used the hair drier, faced it on the decal for about 2 to 3 mins. There were about 7 of them on the body of the bike. This made the decal a bit soft, so i used the tire lever to scratch it off. The good thing about using the tire lever tool is that it doesn't scratch the original paint off. Word of advice. Dont use knife or any sharp object as you would not like the outcome.

Nb...na wa o.. i wonder with this my fast connection, upload no dey work...

Modified: Okay.. done

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 6:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
More

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 6:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
The degreaser did an okay job but wasnt to my expectation. The decal removal process left some sticky residue and i had to take them off. This was difficult as i couldnt get petrol or any chemical that has the compounds fuel has for cleaning a gummy surface neat.. although the degreaser is meant for cleaning but its not specifically meant for adhesive as it was clearly written on the body of the container.

I also thought i could do it the hard way by rubbing the surface hard after heating the metal of the frame a bit to see where it would take me but it was super tough. In my mind i was like "ohhhh, i wish i was in nigeria, i would have just gone to buy 1 litre of fuel and "finish work". Then again i looked around the house and found nail polish. I applied it on the surface of the frame and voila!, it gradually started coming off! Was super excited as i was sure i could finish any painting work today. It took over 1hr to get it out though...

Pictures coming soon

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:20am On Jul 08, 2016
Late night post.

Fast forward, I am setting up the various parts to be sprayed. It was placed on a dryer outside. The weather is super nice. but i had to wear some long sleeved T-shirt with a hat just to prevent the sun from burning me. (yes, It does burn black folks too). Basically, I used just 2 spray cans and it seems it did a pretty good job overall. I put on over 8- 9 coats (or even more) on and I am sure it would be staying a while smiley

NB: I already sprayed the fork for the bicycle some days before doing this.. so the fork itself basically looks Matt at the moment. but i did a touch up on it several times. to give it a thick finish.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:31am On Jul 08, 2016
All done! errything looks pretty smooth and perfect to me right now. I am so glad i finally decided to do this myself and I am excited at what the result is turning out to be. I saw a pretty cool all black bicycle on my way out and i was impressed.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:35am On Jul 08, 2016
More

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:38am On Jul 08, 2016
Mud guards done too

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Lexusgs430: 6:35am On Jul 09, 2016
My problem with bicycles is the sore bum after a long ride.
My kids(especially my son) loves dragging me on bike trips !!!
I have put extra gel pads, but sore yansh still persists !!!
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 7:37am On Jul 09, 2016
Lexusgs430:
My problem with bicycles is the sore bum after a long ride.
My kids(especially my son) loves dragging me on bike trips !!!
I have put extra gel pads, but sore yansh still persists !!!

Haha thats an awkward comment.. most times it depends on what kind of bicycle saddle you have got and the kind of bum you got too. Its always not advisable to have a big butt and use the really modern saddles that are very slim and uncomfortable. Try getting saddles of street cruiser bicycles. They are super comfy, big and have alot of foam in them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Lexusgs430: 8:37am On Jul 09, 2016
redcliff:

Haha thats an awkward comment.. most times it depends on what kind of bicycle saddle you have got and the[b] kind of bum you got too[/b]. Its always not advisable [b]to have a big butt [/b]and use the really modern saddles that are very slim and uncomfortable. Try getting saddles of street cruiser bicycles. They are super comfy, big and have alot of foam in them.

So inessence, my big fat yansh is not good for a saddle ? Why can't they design saddles for orobo yansh like ours? Are this bicycle manufactures orobo yansh haters, orobo yanshist or hate we orobo's ?

2 Likes

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:55am On Jul 09, 2016
Lexusgs430:

So inessence, my big fat yansh is not good for a saddle ? Why can't they design saddles for orobo yansh like ours? Are this bicycle manufactures orobo yansh haters, orobo yanshist or hate we orobo's ?

Lol.. me i dont know ooo... grin

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by DaimlerBen(m): 3:39am On Jul 10, 2016
redcliff:
Late night post.

Fast forward, I am setting up the various parts to be sprayed. put the out on a dry outside. The weather is super nice. but i had to wear some long sleeved T-shirt with a hat just to prevent the sun from burning me. (yes, It does burn black folks too). Basically, I used just 2 spray cans and it seems it did a pretty good job overall. I put on over 8- 9 coats (or even more) on and I am sure it would be staying a while smiley

NB: I already sprayed the fork for the bicycle some days before doing this.. so the fork itself basically looks Matt at the moment. but i did a touch up on it several times. to give it a thick finish.
See as you spread bicycle ontop rope, abi na under.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:48am On Jul 10, 2016
DaimlerBen:

See as you spread bicycle ontop rope, abi na under.

Lmao... na so!
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 10, 2016
Great project, Redcliff. I do love your attention to detail. The little, niggly bits, can really make, or break a project like this one. smiley

Where are you based?
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Iphe56: 11:35am On Jul 10, 2016
nice work...
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 3:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
Siena:
Great project, Redcliff. I do love your attention to detail. The little, niggly bits, can really make, or break a project like this one. smiley

Where are you based?

Hi Siena, thanks for your commmendation. I am not done with the bike yet. I would be installing a motor kit on it when i am done.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:24am On Jul 12, 2016
Update: Coated the spray paint with a clear coat spray. Its function is to protect the spray from scratches and give the spray a finished look. I have done that and I would let this sit out and dry for the next one week. As I read on some forums that it needs a while to really thicken. Anyway, I am expecting my motorized kit sometime this month and I would use that opportunity to assemble the important parts of the bike that needs assembly and leave out other parts that the kit would need.

First off, I had to clean the frame and the other parts as it sat for about 2 days after the normal spray. I just tried to make sure i took out any dust that could have been accumulated over that 48hr period. Then i applied the clear coat. It made the frame a bit shiny which i did not really like but I hope it fades out with time as the spray i got was a matt black one, I wish that the bike has that matt black look.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station / Ever Bought A Car You Regret Buying? / Trailer Crushes Pregnant Woman, 3 Others In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.