Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ (14681 Views)

External Reserves Hit Two-week Low As Naira Weakens / Naira Weakens To N458 Per Dollar At Parallel Market / Today's Naira Rate Against Dollar, Pound And Euro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 07, 2016
ken4jj:

Bros,you keep muddling issues up. How can we truly get our economy free from oil if we don't practice true federalism. Do you think that these governors will think when they have free money coming from Abuja every month? Since we have been talking of economy diversification for the past 2 decades, why have we not been able to achieve that? Think about it.
It is only possible on paper to diversify the economy in this present structure.

Problem I have with true federalisim is that it amounts to ''North and West do agric, SE ad SS do oil''. In other words......we end up with at least three regions....that are still resource dependent.

By diversification.....I mean that we completely move away from reliance on revenues from selling raw materials like oil , groundnut, cotton, etc...and use our brains and minds to develop an innovation based economy.

What use is your agric and oil if at the end of the day....you are just still sending billions of dollars out of the country in the name of importation?

P.S...This is the article that changed my thinking:https://mindofmalaka.com/2012/01/18/you-lazy-intellectual-african-scum/
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by cckris: 5:20pm On Jun 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Problem I have with true federalisim is that it amounts to ''North and West do agric, SE ad SS do oil''. In other words......we end up with at least three regions....that are still resource dependent.

By diversification.....I mean that we completely move away from reliance on revenues from selling raw materials like oil , groundnut, cotton, etc...and use our brains and minds to develop an innovation based economy.

What use is your agric and oil if at the end of the day....you are just still sending billions of dollars out of the country in the name of importation?

P.S...This is the article that changed my thinking:https://mindofmalaka.com/2012/01/18/you-lazy-intellectual-african-scum/
Regional Economic development was VERY STABLE, before 1970, when Awolowo & Gowon invented the idea of CONFISCATING ALL resources for distribution by the Federal Govt, in order to achieve EVEN development throughout Nigeria. And that hasn't happened in nearly 50 years, while things degenerated from bad to worse.
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 07, 2016
cckris:

Regional Economic development was VERY STABLE, before 1970, when Awolowo & Gowon invented the idea of CONFISCATING ALL resources for distribution by the Federal Govt, in order to achieve EVEN development throughout Nigeria. And that hasn't happened in nearly 50 years, while things degenerated from bad to worse.

Back in the 60's....the regions were dependent on agriculture and oil....and remitted less than 50% to the government.

As the events of the 1970's proved...when we lost the guaranteed market in the UK for our agric products....and when agric prices began to fall....that foundation was flimsy.Of course....we had oil to save us (but that turned out to be fake).

Simply put....Nigeria does not control the prices of what we produce....agriculture, or crude oil. Which is why any economic development under the regions was fake. (Sorry....but that is the truth). Same goes for the oil boom of the 1970's Economic prosperity that was built on the fake promise of sustained high oil prices.(Which the minute they crashed in 1982....sent us back to square one. ).

As I explained earlier.....whether true federalism or no true federalism....you cannot build a sustainable economy based on revenues from selling crude oil, agric products....even mining. ESPECIALLY....as the price is out of our control. (Even oil....with the way things are going....I doubt that oil is going to go back above $100 per barrel.).Strong economies are ALWAYS industrial economies. (Yes...the Saudis look strong...but the drop in oil price is making their economy look shaky).

And I expect our political class to see this....and to do the needful.But they won't.
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by GodwinBash(m): 6:01pm On Jun 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

So....what should we be doing differently, chief economist.?

Nigeria needs to get off oil....that is my solution.
Neither did you hear me mention only oil from my post. All I know is that for one to pilot the affairs of a nation, one must have the good leadership managerial skills for the dos and don't.
You can't tell me someone wasted complete one year in office without nothing to offer to the country and expect manna to fall from heaven for the country to witness change.
Wouldn't the wasted one year in office be one of the factors that had led to all these very continuous rise in the change of everything associated with our currency exchange and the market, transport, oil situation (trading situation) simply because a one year in office have proven the president being unable to have the mental capability to channel the economy's affairs in such a way the trading situation doesn't rises any how as it had happened?
So what's the cause of the present trading situation rising as it had been seen to happen? Someone's incapability to contain the situation before things get out of hand and turned out as it seems to have brought the current situation today?
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by cckris: 6:27pm On Jun 07, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Back in the 60's....the regions were dependent on agriculture and oil....and remitted less than 50% to the government.

As the events of the 1970's proved...when we lost the guaranteed market in the UK for our agric products....and when agric prices began to fall....that foundation was flimsy.Of course....we had oil to save us (but that turned out to be fake).

Simply put....Nigeria does not control the prices of what we produce....agriculture, or crude oil. Which is why any economic development under the regions was fake. (Sorry....but that is the truth). Same goes for the oil boom of the 1970's Economic prosperity that was built on the fake promise of sustained high oil prices.(Which the minute they crashed in 1982....sent us back to square one. ).

As I explained earlier.....whether true federalism or no true federalism....you cannot build a sustainable economy based on revenues from selling crude oil, agric products....even mining. ESPECIALLY....as the price is out of our control. (Even oil....with the way things are going....I doubt that oil is going to go back above $100 per barrel.).Strong economies are ALWAYS industrial economies. (Yes...the Saudis look strong...but the drop in oil price is making their economy look shaky).

And I expect our political class to see this....and to do the needful.But they won't.
So you agree that REVENUE ALLOCATIONS is main hindrance to CREATIVITY in Nigeria. So long as there money to SHARE to the 774 LGAs, & 36 State Governors, who's the fool to waste time on innovations, when its easier to import even synthetic plastic rice from China.
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by onatisi(m): 6:42pm On Jun 07, 2016
Ugosample:

I am not defending him, and you do not hate Buhari more than I do, but the fact is that you as CBN governor can do what you think is best for the country without presidential approval.
The president cannot sack him..

Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by onatisi(m): 6:44pm On Jun 07, 2016
Ugosample:

I am not defending him, and you do not hate Buhari more than I do, but the fact is that you as CBN governor can do what you think is best for the country without presidential approval.
The president cannot sack him..

Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by Adesiji77: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2016
onatisi:

Stop blaming the cbn governor. There is nothing he can do without the presidential approval most especially on a crucial matter like this and unfortunately the president is sick and and has travelled out of the country(as usual anyway) and noone knows when he will be back.
This is the change Nigerians wanted and they will get it in full dose

I am not blaming him. He announced the proposed forex regime; he should simply release the operating modalities.

The uncertainty is fueling unbridled speculation in the parallel market.
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by onatisi(m): 9:32pm On Jun 07, 2016
Adesiji77:

I am not blaming him. He announced the proposed forex regime; he should simply release the operating modalities.

The uncertainty is fueling unbridled speculation in the parallel market.
Governance is a collective thing. The cbn cant just go ahead and announce measures ,he has to formulate measures to fit in to the president policies and programmes in order to achieve maximum positive impact. But unfortunately the president is clueless as he doesn't even know what the Nigeria problem is. Look at all the ministers in Nigeria and show me 3 of them that are performing very well, you can hardly get despite the fact that these ppl are the best in their chosen fields and very experienced. When the head is sick and rotten ,the whole body is sick.

Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by alakara(m): 10:31pm On Jun 11, 2016
Pavore9:

The destination determines a lot of things.
Europe and US
Re: Naira Weakens Against Dollar 357/ 1$ by grandstar(m): 2:10am On Jul 26, 2023
These were very dark days. A lost decade under Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Transfer Money Using An ATM / Nigeria Still Ranks 4th Globally On Return On Investment Ratings / PIB: Like Sugar, Like Cement, Dangote To Dominate The Oil Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.