Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? (3112 Views)

'I'm John The Baptist' - Kenyan ‘Prophet’ With 39 Wives / Ibadan Baptist Pastor Locked Out By Church Members Over Embezzlement (Photo) / Why You Should Stop Abbreviating In Jesus Name As IJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by boldx(m): 8:36am On Jun 07, 2016
During my meditation this morning, I kept on wondering why John the Baptist was offended in Jesus Christ. He was locked up in prison because Herodias set him up and he fell for it. John was privileged to baptise Jesus in water knowing fully well that he is the Messiah but somewhere along the line, he had doubted his ministry and sent his disciples to go and ask Jesus if he was the Messiah. Jesus told the disciples, that the blind see, the deaf hear and the gospel is preached. Was John still offended in him that he couldn't draw virtue from Jesus' ministry and ultimately he was beheaded.

In what way can this be a lesson for modern day Christians. Please what do you think?
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by jamesharryson(m): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2016
I am just curiously watching the sky to see the missiles. I wish it could happen
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by Segadem(m): 8:50am On Jun 07, 2016
Everyone played the role God the FATHER has outlined for them.
No one offend any!

1 Like

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by Teenu4christ(f): 11:22am On Jun 07, 2016
John th baptist doubted God....cuz afta d baptism nd hearing the voice of the Lord from above telling him dah Jesus was his Son whon he sent........ To the Christians of Today not just Christians alone but evewione.... Jesus made his second coming clear to us..... Through his words.....evewifin he said would happen as a sign od his coming I'd happening.... Famine, War, false teaching, false prophet e.t.c but some of us still doubt him nd our fait.. In him... Jst like John.... But I pray we wake up frm our slumber nd continue d race... Let us choose life nt Death....choose Heaven nt Hell.....
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by boldx(m): 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2016
Segadem:
Everyone played the role God the FATHER has outlined for them.
No one offend any!
Yes i believe everyone played out his role but I dont think it was God's plan for John to have died like t,hat. Its a bit ,confusing. It seems Johnson did not believe in Jesus. He must have been offended in him. He lost faith i think.
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 10:07am On Jan 01, 2021
boldx:
During my meditation this morning, I kept on wondering why John the Baptist was offended in Jesus Christ. He was locked up in prison because Herodias set him up and he fell for it. John was privileged to baptise Jesus in water knowing fully well that he is the Messiah but somewhere along the line, he had doubted his ministry and sent his disciples to go and ask Jesus if he was the Messiah. Jesus told the disciples, that the blind see, the deaf hear and the gospel is preached. Was John still offended in him that he couldn't draw virtue from Jesus' ministry and ultimately he was beheaded.

In what way can this be a lesson for modern day Christians. Please what do you think?
Not only John, even the pharasees and other teachers of the law were confused.

They were expecting a roaring lion like King not a meek, gentle and merciful messiah

1 Like

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by petra1(m): 12:40pm On Jan 01, 2021
boldx:
During my meditation this morning, I kept on wondering why John the Baptist was offended in Jesus Christ. He was locked up in prison because Herodias set him up and he fell for it.

Everyone was looking for a military revolutionary Savior. Like Samson. John too was expecting deliverance from prison. You cant blame him . Day 1 pass. Day 2 passed . Messiah, no action .

1 Like

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 1:10pm On Jan 01, 2021
femi4:
Not only John, even the pharasees and other teachers of the law were confused.

They were expecting a roaring lion like King not a meek, gentle and merciful messiah

Yes, a king that will save them from their enemies and usher in an era of peace...not the one created by Rome..
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 1:14pm On Jan 01, 2021
petra1:

Everyone was looking for a military revolutionary Savior. Like Samson. John too was expecting deliverance from prison. You cant blame him . Day 1 pass. Day 2 passed . Messiah, no action .

Thst is what God promised them....a saviour thst will deliver them from their enemies round them..not serve as a human sacrifice for sins...he already gave them a solution to the problem of sin..

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 5:16pm On Jan 01, 2021
sonmvayina:

Yes, a king that will save them from their enemies and usher in an era of peace...not the one created by Rome..
You are off point
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 5:35pm On Jan 01, 2021
sonmvayina:

Thst is what God promised them....a saviour thst will deliver them from their enemies round them..not serve as a human sacrifice for sins...he already gave them a solution to the problem of sin..
Is 53:5-7

He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;

and as one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and lwe esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs

and carried our sorrows;

yet we esteemed him stricken,

smitten by God, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;

he was crushed for our iniquities;

upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,

and with his wounds we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray;

we have turned—every one—to his own way;

and the Lord has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,

yet he opened not his mouth;

like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,

and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,

so he opened not his mouth.
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 6:31pm On Jan 01, 2021
femi4:
Is 53:5-7

He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;

and as one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and lwe esteemed him not.

4 Surely he has borne our griefs

and carried our sorrows;

yet we esteemed him stricken,

smitten by God, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;

he was crushed for our iniquities;

upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,

and with his wounds we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray;

we have turned—every one—to his own way;

and the Lord has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,

yet he opened not his mouth;

like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,

and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,

so he opened not his mouth.

Isaiah 53 is about a suffering righteous servant..he did not die. If you continue to read till the end it says. "He shall prolong his days, and shall see his offspring..."

The suffering servant is israel...isaiah said it 8 times prior to chapter 53...read isaiah 41:7-9
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2021
femi4:
You are off point

I am reading those that are following that jesus is just a roman idol...worshipping him is tantamont to idolatry and not different from those worshipping ogun or olokun..
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 01, 2021
It actually meant disappointed not offended. KJV is an old English book.

A lesson we can learn is that under terrible and hash conditions, one's faith and confidence can shake or be shaken.

=) It happens to Job who thinks God is afflicting him.
=) The disciples cried carest not that we perish, despite knowing who Jesus is.
=) Jesus Christ himself, cried on the cross "why has thou forsaken me".

All these are reality that we are human being and are subjected to the manifestation of the flesh.
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 11:07pm On Jan 01, 2021
sonmvayina:

Isaiah 53 is about a suffering righteous servant..he did not die. If you continue to read till the end it says. "He shall prolong his days, and shall see his offspring..."

The suffering servant is israel...isaiah said it 8 times prior to chapter 53...read isaiah 41:7-9
But God demonstrates his own love toward us, in that while we were sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:cool.
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by gobuchinny: 2:04am On Jan 02, 2021
boldx:

It was God's plan for John to die like that as he died like every other prophet did proclaiming truth however he doubted under the pressure at that moment. He was kept under harsh conditions. Beaten and living maybe in his own faeces as conditions would have been bad.

So even Yahsua had to pray not my will but Yours and IF the cup cannot pass Him by meaning He was under pressure. Maybe He felt Yeshua could have saved him from whatever but he was under pressure to recant his belief which is what the devil always tries to do to a true beleiver of the word of God.

Cheers
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 10:23am On Jan 02, 2021
femi4:
But God demonstrates his own love toward us, in that while we were sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:cool.

When did God make all these plans...somebody dying for the sin of another is against Gods laws..

The idea is pagan..
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 10:29am On Jan 02, 2021
sonmvayina:

When did God make all these plans...somebody dying for the sin of another is against Gods laws..

The idea is pagan..
lol, That's Jn 3:16 in expanded form.

So, you are saying indirectly that:
The scripture is lying
Apostle Paul lied and the disciples refused to correct him.
If you cannot refute the scripture, forever hold your peace

From John the beloved:

1 John 4:9-10
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins

1 John 3:16
By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

From Peter

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 10:41am On Jan 02, 2021
femi4:
lol, That's Jn 3:16 in expanded form.

So, you are saying indirectly that:
The scripture is lying
Apostle paul lied and the disciples refused to correct him.

If you cannot refute the scripture, forever hold your peace

From John the beloved:

1 John 4:9-10
In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins

The heart and soul of the bible is the torah. That is from genesis to deuteronomy . It contains the laws of God. It is what you use to measure everything. Anything that does not conform to the laws of God is paganism. And have nothing to do with God. ..the entire new testament is pagan in origin. The romans added it to God laws to insult God and deceieve you...it is not part of "the words of God"...
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 10:45am On Jan 02, 2021
sonmvayina:

The heart and soul of the bible is the torah. That is from genesis to deuteronomy . It contains the laws of God. It is what you use to measure everything. Anything that does not conform to the laws of God is paganism. And have nothing to do with God. ..the entire new testament is pagan in origin. The romans added it to God laws to insult God and deceieve you...it is not part of "the words of God"...
We are no longer under the law
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 11:00am On Jan 02, 2021
femi4:
We are no longer under the law

God told you that?

So God gave us his laws...after some time he sent his son to come and abolish them...those that make any sense to you?
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:22am On Jan 02, 2021
John was Israel's last prophet in connection with the old covenant, unlike other prophets who prophesied about the Messiah he (John) had the privilege of seeing and dealing with the Messiah one on one.

Why was he offended in Christ?

John supposed to abandon everything he knew concerning the old covenant and follow Jesus immediately after hearing God's voice. His assignment as a prophet of God ended when the Messiah that all the people must obey began his ministry. Genesis 49:10 compared to Deuteronomy 18:15-18

Though Jesus didn't tell John what to do {John 16:12} but John himself opened his mouth because of the spirit of God in him and said "see the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world" {John 1:29-39} note what John's disciples did immediately they heard him say so.
Well that's exactly what John himself supposed to do!

His getting into trouble with Herodias was lack of wisdom on his part, the Messiah came to teach them how to worship God acceptably and that has nothing to do with interfering in the affairs of politicians! Note that Jesus never say anything about the political elements of his time, WHY? It has been written that they will all be destroyed! Daniel 2:44

So John was expecting Jesus as the Messiah to go into action, take over power from the world's rulers and probably free him from detention. But the Messiah's assignment is one step after the other, so Jesus sent John's disciples back to tell him the things he is doing presently as a sign that the Messiah is here but one thing must be done before another!

May you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by Ihedinobi3: 1:04pm On Jan 02, 2021
boldx:

Hi there.

This is one of the passages that describes the matter that you are asking about:

2 And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples 3 and said to Him, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?” 4 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: 5 The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.” 7 As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 8 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. 9 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. 10 For this is he of whom it is written: Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You.’ 11 “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. 13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
Matthew 11:2-14 (NKJV)

The other passage is in Luke 7:18-28. Neither of them says anything about John being offended. Yes, the Lord Jesus pronounced a blessing on those who are not offended in (that is, who don't fall away from faith in God because of) Him.

Many Jews of that time who had been waiting for God's Messiah were tested by the appearance of Jesus Christ. As we can see from even the attitude of the apostles themselves (Acts 1:6), the expectation of many Jewish believers was that the Messiah was going to be a political savior. He was going to come and destroy the power of Rome, regather all Israel, and renew the earth.

All these things were true, but before they would happen, the Lord Jesus was supposed to die on the Cross first and open the door of salvation to the Gentiles too. This bit was something that even the prophets barely understood (1 Peter 1:10-12), so it is not very surprising that some believers apostatized when they saw that Jesus was not delivering Israel from the power of Rome and raising the nation to preeminence in the world.

This test was meant for John the Baptist too. And he did not fail it, although he certainly got somewhat confused and doubted a little, which was why he sent his disciples to ask the question that he did. Which of us does not occasionally stumble? We all fail sometimes (James 3:2), but how many of us will ever get the praise that the Lord Jesus heaped on John the Baptist?

So I wouldn't say that John the Baptist was ever offended. He certainly sent to ask Jesus if he had been wrong about Him, but that can hardly be called "offence." Those who apostatize don't ask God questions. They just dismiss His Word and embrace the lies that they prefer. John stumbled briefly and the Lord Jesus restored him with just the right answer. That very likely have him the strength to suffer martyrdom without apostatizing from the Lord.

May we be encouraged and strengthened too as John was. May we remember to turn to the Lord when we grow weary and stumble just as John did too. May the Lord rejoice enough in us to speak as highly of us as He did of John too.
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 1:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
sonmvayina:

God told you that?

So God gave us his laws...after some time he sent his son to come and abolish them...those that make any sense to you?
Yes, it make sense.

His foolishness surpasses your wisdom

1 Like

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 02, 2021
John The Baptist was expecting the Messiah prophesied about below in Isaiah 53 which has no mention of a second coming or the rapture.  

"10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,"

Also:

The angel said to Mary: Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David. 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. 34Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
And then Jesus turned it down here:
John 18:36 "Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.”"
John 6:15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

The angel did not say to Mary this was a spiritual kingdom so this is not for those that just jump from pillar to post quoting from different Gospels just to try and make up an answer they don't know.

Now if Jesus is the final Messiah then how could the Bible have got this wrong as Jesus has stated that "My kingdom is not of this world" whereas the prophecy is that The Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David.

So Jesus might have come to prepare the way for a final Messiah who will be given the "throne of his father David, And he shall reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end"
Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 2:47pm On Jan 02, 2021
femi4:
Yes, it make sense.

His foolishness surpasses your wisdom

The truth is bitter, it surely will set you free, but it will piss you off.

You just dont want to accept the fact that jesus is a crestion of Rome. An idol to deceive the gullible. Probably because you have wasted your whole life and money on it..

Re: Why Was John The Baptist Offended In Jesus? by femi4: 2:59pm On Jan 02, 2021
sonmvayina:

The truth is bitter, it surely will set you free, but it will piss you off.

You just dont want to accept the fact that jesus is a crestion of Rome. An idol to deceive the gullible. Probably because you have wasted your whole life and money on it..
For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
- John 6:40

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" Mt17:5

(1) (Reply)

I'm Amazed! / Silly Modern Africans Who Mock The Ancestral Sango. / Demystifying The Confusion - God, Gods God And Creator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.