Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? (4197 Views)

APC Restructuring Committee Approves Resource Control, State Police, Others / Resource Control Bill Passes Second Reading / Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of The Word Biafra. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 4:39pm On Jun 07, 2016
It is the general consensus that if state governments are allowed to gain absolute control of resources inherent in their states, there will be several gains

1. There will be less or even no more agitations in the Niger Delta
2. Other states with resources will be encouraged to adopt revenue generation strategies to stay solvent
3. There will be more development especially in the Niger Delta
4. No more cries of injustice
5. The revenue of the federal government will be truly and finally diversified.
6. There will be less crises, violence and insecurity.

There are other benefits to but the question is, given that the potential benefits of resource control are known to the elite and the Nigerian masses, why aren't there massive campaigns to implement resource control in order to allow Nigerians and Niger Deltans have a peace of mind?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Ebubeslym(m): 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2016
The Minority down south will surely develop faster than the Sons of Usman Dan fodio

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Godstraight(m): 4:52pm On Jun 07, 2016
certain people want to enjoy what they don't have

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by tinkinjow: 4:55pm On Jun 07, 2016
Ask them....still U hear them say oil is no longer relevant.
Why don't they control their limestones and allow others control the irrelevant oil?

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by richidinho(m): 5:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
The other day Maku said "Drink ya oil let me eat my yam"

A man from core north said " drink ya oil let me keep my tomatoes"

Somebody from southwest said "Afterall we are all cocoa"

And i ask if you guys are so buoyant, why stopping other region that according to you are not relevant from going their separate ways?

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
It is because they are lazy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by LoveMachine(m): 5:18pm On Jun 07, 2016
They have been miseducated! They don't understand that the present system is the reason they are in economic shackles. It behooves the political elite to never practice federalism. They can get fat feeding from the center while their constituents starve.

With True Federalism they will be forced to sit up and develop their regions. The entire country would move forward. The silly thing is that it isn't as if their movement would be restricted. They would be allowed to move to the petro dollar rich SS if they so chose. They could enjoy all of the developments as citizens.

Instead of using our aggregate strength of diversity and plurality we are spreading one resource deadly thing all the while neglecting the lands and people from whence the resource comes.

I'm all for True Federalism. Let regions develop at their own pace. But they must develop. Our present system is a robust failure!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 5:45pm On Jun 07, 2016
tinkinjow:
Ask them....still U hear them say oil is no longer relevant.
Why don't they control their limestones and allow others control the irrelevant oil?

Their hypocrisy and ignorance is terrible.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 6:00pm On Jun 07, 2016
LoveMachine:
They have been miseducated! They don't understand that the present system is the reason they are in economic shackles. It behooves the political elite to never practice federalism. They can get fat feeding from the center while their constituents starve.

With True Federalism they will be forced to sit up and develop their regions. The entire country would move forward. The silly thing is that it isn't as if their movement would be restricted. They would be allowed to move to the petro dollar rich SS if they so chose. They could enjoy all of the developments as citizens.

Instead of using our aggregate strength of diversity and plurality we are spreading one resource deadly thing all the while neglecting the lands and people from whence the resource comes.

I'm all for True Federalism. Let regions develop at their own pace. But they must develop. Our present system is a robust failure!

I find it amusing that most Nigerians believe that Nigeria will develop with this current system of government that has made the country fantastically dysfunctional. It may seem like a joke or curse but if Nigeria thinks that the country will develop from this regime of selling oil and sharing the money to parasitic and lazy states, then they should be prepared for a horrific surprise.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by coolscott(m): 6:01pm On Jun 07, 2016
SWG25:
It is the general consensus that if state governments are allowed to gain absolute control of resources inherent in their states, there will be several gains

1. There will be less or even no more agitations in the Niger Delta
2. Other states with resources will be encouraged to adopt revenue generation strategies to stay solvent
3. There will be more development especially in the Niger Delta
4. No more cries of injustice
5. The revenue of the federal government will be truly and finally diversified.
6. There will be less crises, violence and insecurity.

There are other benefits to but the question is, given that the potential benefits of resource control are known to the elite and the Nigerian masses, why aren't there massive campaigns to implement resource control in order to allow Nigerians and Niger Deltans have a peace of mind?

[size=13pt]The truth is I don't think the reasons you have provided here are good enough for resource control.
Resource control is not because or for the interest of the Niger Delta.
It has been said that there is not a single state in the federation that is not blessed with some natural resource or the other and that...

...there is not one state that will not be by far much richer than they are right now if these states' resources are exploited under the 50% resource control arrangement.

States that don't have oil have iron, gold, tin, etc, etc. El-Rufai (if I am not mistaken) has just recently said that his state has more gold deposits than all of South Africa combined. Lagos has just found oil. And by the way, they already enjoy the status of being the richest state with or without the oil.

A barrel of oil increased to $50 in the international market for about a day around a week ago and it made headlines that crude oil price was rising. Meanwhile, a barrel of palm oil in the international market goes for a solid $90.

I see every state becoming at least 2 (or more) times richer under the resource control arrangement, than they presently are right now under this system where most go a-begging because there is a direct ripple effect of the creation of new industries, wherever that happens
[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by iykopy: 6:11pm On Jun 07, 2016
they are parasites and mentally lazy. remove oil and watch them die immediately. grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 6:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
coolscott:

[size=13pt]The truth is I don't think the reasons you have provided here are good enough for resource control.
How exactly are they not good reasons for resource control?
- Diversification of federal government revenue is not a good reason?
- An end to Niger Delta agitation and violence is not a good reason
- Real development of the Niger Delta region is not a good reason?
- An encouragement for other states to diversify their revenue is also not a good reason?

coolscott:

It has been said that there is not a single state in the federation that is not blessed with some natural resource or the other and...
...there is not one state that will not be by far much richer than they are right now if these states' resources are exploited under the 50% resource control arrangement.
States that don't have oil have iron, gold, tin, etc, etc. El-Rufai (if I am not mistaken) has just recently said that his state has more gold deposits than all of South Africa combined. Lagos has just found oil. And by the way, they already enjoy the status of being the richest state with or without the oil.
A barrel of oil increased to $50 in the international market for about a day around a week ago and it made headlines that crude oil price was rising. Meanwhile, a barrel of palm oil in the international market goes for a solid $90.
I see every state becoming at least 2 times richer under the resource control arrangement, than they presently are right now under this system where most go a-begging
[/size]

So if these are benefits of resource control, why aren't majority of Nigerians demanding that its implemented?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:34pm On Jun 07, 2016
Unfortunately you people don't know the difference between resource control and natural resources of a country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by LoveMachine(m): 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2016
SWG25:

I find it amusing that most Nigerians believe that Nigeria will develop with this current system of government that has made the country fantastically dysfunctional. It may seem like a joke or curse but if Nigeria thinks that the country will develop from this regime of selling oil and sharing the money to parasitic and lazy states, then they should be prepared for a horrific surprise.

The present system is a disservice to all. The farmers have been neglected and they no longer earn. The young men have been reduced to criminals, beggars and menial laborers.

We have all the makings to be great but we have to do the proper thing and stop taking what isn't ours. I'm all for sharing to help each other grow but at present the ND/SS is being economically and environmentally raped by all the other zones. This must stop.

How can people who achieve the most everywhere else on earth have such a disfunctional home? True Federalism is the cure for Naija's woes.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Vulu: 7:07pm On Jun 07, 2016
Why the yorubas are bent on making sure that Bayelsa oil belongs to jigawa still amazes me.
Jpphilips can you make us understand?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by skywalker240(m): 8:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
its simple,..they are theives

Why wont they fear
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
Unfortunately you people don't know the difference between resource control and natural resources of a country.

Kindly please educate us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by lukecent: 10:44pm On Jun 07, 2016
Correct your self please, it should be "why is the North afraid of resources control"
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by FagsamPHP(m): 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2016
k
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Horus(m): 10:55pm On Jun 07, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDDkE1X9QQ

[size=14pt]Nigerians Debate Resource Control Prt 1[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB0_OhACZcA

[size=14pt]Nigerians Debate Resource Control Prt 2[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by galaxy4rep(m): 11:25pm On Jun 07, 2016
simply because Yorubas are too insecure and lazy!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by cjrane: 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2016
Because abooki and Yoruba have learnt to love above their means. The only way to sustain the fraudulent lifestyle is to despise resource control. Unfortunately, there will be no peace in Nigeria as long as some people steal and feed fat on the resources of others.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 08, 2016
Resource control is surely the best way to go. You can imagine my state Rivers State generates 10 billion to the federal government every year, no project was accorded to us. While states like ogun, kaduna and all of them do. So it's better for us to use control our resource by ourselves
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by rhemmiedream(m): 1:08am On Jun 08, 2016
In 2014 , during GEJ's cofab ,the Yoruba's asked for REGIONALISM whilst the Niger Deltans asked for RESOURCE CONTROL ? can anyone here furnish us with the positions of the North and East ?
Op , your answer lies here .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by coolscott(m): 4:19am On Jun 08, 2016
SWG25:

How exactly are they not good reasons for resource control?
- Diversification of federal government revenue is not a good reason?
- An end to Niger Delta agitation and violence is not a good reason
- Real development of the Niger Delta region is not a good reason?
- An encouragement for other states to diversify their revenue is also not a good reason?

So if these are benefits of resource control, why aren't majority of Nigerians demanding that its implemented?
[size=13pt]I am saying that you have narrowed reasons here to the ND. Meanwhile the amount of wealth that will be generated with a 50% resource control arrangement in many other states will rival and even possibly surpass that of the ND (if the ND keeps producing only oil).

In other words, the valid reasons for implementing a 50% resource control regime are bigger and broader than what you have represented here and many northern states should agitate for it as much as, or perhaps more than, the southern states who have agitated for it.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by hundredhunndred: 5:15am On Jun 08, 2016
Vulu:
Why the yorubas are bent on making sure that Bayelsa oil belongs to jigawa still amazes me.
Jpphilips can you make us understand?

Blaming Yoruba as usual, you see why you cant progress in life, cos you blame everyone for the problem in your life. Go find a job and leave your parents house.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by hundredhunndred: 5:16am On Jun 08, 2016
cjrane:
Because abooki and Yoruba have learnt to love above their means. The only way to sustain the fraudulent lifestyle is to despise resource control. Unfortunately, there will be no peace in Nigeria as long as some people steal and feed fat on the resources of others.

Ibo man is obsessed with Yoruba, you see them in your dreams and reason you cant progress in life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by hundredhunndred: 5:17am On Jun 08, 2016
galaxy4rep:
simply because Yorubas are too insecure and lazy!

Smuggling drugs and doing baby factory is hardwork to you loudmouthed people, everyone in this world is lazy according to your red mud tribe. Something is definitely wrong with your empty brain.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by Omololu007(m): 7:52am On Jun 08, 2016
richidinho:
The other day Maku said "Drink ya oil let me eat my yam"

A man from core north said " drink ya oil let me keep my tomatoes"

Somebody from southwest said "Afterall we are all cocoa"

And i ask if you guys are so buoyant, why stopping other region that according to you are not relevant from going their separate ways?
how is the sw stopping the south south from been in charge of their oil?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by SWG25: 9:52am On Jun 08, 2016
coolscott:

[size=13pt]I am saying that you have narrowed reasons here to the ND. Meanwhile the amount of wealth that will be generated with a 50% resource control arrangement in many other states will rival and even possibly surpass that of the ND (if the ND keeps producing only oil).

In other words, the valid reasons for implementing a 50% resource control regime are bigger and broader than what you have represented here and many northern states should agitate for it as much as, or perhaps more than, the southern states who have agitated for it.
[/size]

Ok. But If these reasons of yours are quite known to the state governors, then why are they against resource control?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of Resource Control? by coolscott(m): 12:18am On Jun 09, 2016
SWG25:

Ok. But If these reasons of yours are quite known to the state governors, then why are they against resource control?
[size=13pt]Why do cocks crow in the morning?[/size]

(1) (Reply)

hungerbad give out N100k to nairalanders / Yorubas: Role Model For Fighting Corruption / I'm Confused: Is Biafra Struggle For Yorubas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.