Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading (24665 Views)

The New Age Qualification To Run For A Political Office In Nigeria By Senate / University ‘Sex-For-Grades’ Prohibition Bill In The Senate Passes 2nd Reading / Saraki Smiles After NACF Bill Passed 2nd Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by 18SNVL: 10:14am On Jun 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by bot101(m): 10:22am On Jun 09, 2016
butanep:

Don't talk too much guy. First check the history of that guy. He must have come from a wealthy home bros. At that age, if not with family or parental support, you hardly get one in such age running business of millions.

Even the richest youth in Africa of 27 with a worth ranging billions of dollars inherited a miti-dollar business from the father.

For some, yes. But where I come from, there are MANY of such people who are barely even schooled (mind you, not uneducated).

How much have you made now at your age with your personal effort? Before you say people's story, first find their background.

Even as wealthy as Wizkid, he won't want to throw his millions into politics without the backing of a wealthy godfather.

For some, yes. The guy I mentioned is just 1 person, where I come from, there are MANY such persons who are barely schooled(mind you, not uneducated) and are of about the same age range as the guy I mentioned and are from VERY poor backgrounds. I am definitely not where I want to be, but I am on the way there. Just a matter of time and milestones.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by oshoke4real: 10:24am On Jun 09, 2016
D so called people can never discus meaniful agenda....where would a 30 yr old man get urge amount for campaigns and also d wisdom.
They should have tackle d age limit needed by employees b4 employment....
Naija law members always discussing political matters since 1700 AD
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by chrischuks78: 10:28am On Jun 09, 2016
Most political office holders r just figure head, someone sponsored them to get there so they play by the rule. The same thing will continue except the political business is made less lucrative
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by anwe: 10:36am On Jun 09, 2016
Very good development. Independent candidacy should be included
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by muben(m): 10:45am On Jun 09, 2016
how about setting a maximum age after which the person can contest for president. this will be of great importance and checkmating redundancy

2 Likes

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by phanshark(m): 11:02am On Jun 09, 2016
maximunimpact:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/reps-reduce-age-qualification-presidency-govs-senate-30yrs/
they should have give age limit for Presidency to 40 to 59,so that what the nation is witnessing now will be avoided
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Clarinett(m): 11:08am On Jun 09, 2016
The process what will pave way for my emergence as the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Write these words down. If there is a God, then it will happen. i assure you.

1 Like

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Bishops10(m): 11:09am On Jun 09, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Reducing the age limit has nothing to do with poor Nigerian youths I see jubilating here...

Our elites now have the opportunity to fix in their kids after the are back from USA/UK Masters programmes...

From Tunubu kids to Rochas kids to Saraki kids to Kwankwaso kids to Nyarkyo kids to Andy Uba kids[size=15pt] Samuel Anyanwu kids [/size]and so on and so forth

How many Nigerian youths can pay one million naira or 2million naira for a National Assembly form? cool cool

All I need is for government to reduce the salaries and allowances of all top government officials...

If a House of Reps candidate earns 100k monthly I don't think National assembly forms for any political party will be up to 50k and will surely refuse to spray money carelessly during electioneering campaigns cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by PointBlank101: 11:14am On Jun 09, 2016
Rather than create a system that would help develop and prepare the youth to the point that they are mentally, physically, socially and all round ready to take on/handle power or seat of authority.

Dropping power on a person who isn't ready would only see us go through the same old familiar circle.

Developing the career and talent of the youth have way more impact on the development of Nigeria than just Reducing the age to contest.

Not that I'm against the reduced age to contest but I think we have to build our foundation right and first, that is developing the youth.

My view - Nobody builds a house starting from the roof.

1 Like

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by niyi123: 11:19am On Jun 09, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Reducing the age limit has nothing to do with poor Nigerian youths I see jubilating here...

Our elites now have the opportunity to fix in their kids after the are back from USA/UK Masters programmes...

From Tunubu kids to Rochas kids to Saraki kids to Kwankwaso kids to Nyarkyo kids to Andy Uba kids and so on and so forth

How many Nigerian youths can pay one million naira or 2million naira for a National Assembly form? cool cool

All I need is for government to reduce the salaries and allowances of all top government officials...

If a House of Reps candidate earns 100k monthly I don't think National assembly forms for any political party will be up to 50k and will surely refuse to spray money carelessly during electioneering campaigns cool cool

Exactly my thought. They want their children to be occupying public offices, while they are still actively engage in politics. That's all.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by michelism(m): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2016
God's revelation is drawing closer...
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Elxandre(m): 11:44am On Jun 09, 2016
martineverest:
Time for young bloods like ,elxandre and co to contest for next gubernatorial,senatorial and presidential seats.

NB: dont spill any blood during campaign
Interesting development bro.

Presidency on my mind! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by martineverest(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2016
Elxandre:

Interesting development bro.

Presidency on my mind! cheesy
remember me in ur kingdom
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by otunba5050(m): 11:54am On Jun 09, 2016
Yes dats good, now I can think of how to become next Governor of STATE OF OSUN. $
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 09, 2016
The bill would also have to be approved by the Senate, and 2/3 of the state houses of assembly.
If approved by the minimum number of states, the president's signature is required for it to become law.

It's a nice initiative from Rep Nwulu.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by DonCortino: 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Sweetlemon:
Beautiful! Now we talking about including young and fresh talents!
You mean their kids right? They want to start handing over to their children.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Masculity(m): 12:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
STFUand4kMeHARD:
Bastardss, with all this killings and diabolism during elections? They should create the enabling environment for youth to grow economically and stop giving silly impression of care. 30yrs ni, 10yrs ko.
Mtcheeeeew angry

Sarakai's first born on my mind. Kwara should await there youngest governor.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by butanep(m): 1:15pm On Jun 09, 2016
bot101:

For some, yes. The guy I mentioned is just 1 person, where I come from, there are MANY such persons who are barely schooled(mind you, not uneducated) and are of about the same age range as the guy I mentioned and are from VERY poor backgrounds. I am definitely not where I want to be, but I am on the way there. Just a matter of time and milestones.

We are saying the same thing. For you to sum up the courage for politics, you have to be doing very very well. No good business man will even throw his hard earn income into politics without having a backing from somewhere. Most of the money you see them spending during electioneering process are stolen money so it doesn't have much effect on them when they loss.

Imagine a guy of 30 that have 300million in his account will bring out 250million for election when he is not sure of winning the election. Who does that in Nigeria?

They only want to pass such bill for the sake of their children. Tinubu son and daughter is a senator. Saraki is preparing his young son to become the next governor of kwara state.

Nigeria is a corrupt Nation. The senators only pass bill that will benefit them and not the common man in the street.

The government don't have you in mind. Get that clear.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Charles545: 1:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
it baffles me when y'all say "they want to hand over to their kids "let me remind y'all that before this can be done,there must be an election. I think it's time that the electorate dig into family history of any political candidate; in the event that a political candidate is related to a "former " whatever...... on that grounds s/he shouldn't be voted for,because Nigeria policy makers shouldn't be a family affairs. it's not a family thing.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by JODELL: 2:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
We the Nigeria youths are the architect of our own problem in Nigeria, ask me why? the age limit electoral law have throw to us a big problem to solve as Nigeria youths, rather than start thinking of how to tackle the problem come 2019 election. We are hear lamenting Tinubu and Atiku sons and daughters are being paved the way into political office. Yes we all know that contesting electoral office is very expensive in every country in the world but not more expensive than the electorate which are the Nigeria youths. The world is looking for people to proffer solutions to problem and We youth are looking for alibis as we Nigerian youths keep doing. Yes we know the APC, PDP , APGA ETC ticket is not for an average Nigeria citizen and the party manifesto at the same time have no provision for the average !!NIGERIA CITIZEN!! BOTH FOR YOU AND ME THE YOUTH.

What if we the Nigeria YOUTH UNDER THE AGE OF 45 START THINKING OF FORMING A YOUTH POLITICAL PARTY? with members under the age of 45 years before 2019, which we all use to contest political office in the country?

Where the Party political form will not be above
#50,000 naira for senate and house of representative
#100,000 naira for President and Governorship candidate
#25,000 naira for State house of representative

The population on Nigeria Youths between 18 to 45 years old in the country is not less than 60 million which is a massive number to win any election in the country.

So let start thinking of solutions to problems as Nigeria YOUTHS not looking for excuses in every policy in the country.

WHAT IF WE START HERE ON NAIRALAND TO BRAINSTORMING ON HOW TO FORM !! NIGERIA YOUTH POLITICAL PARTY (NYPP) ?

WHERE AVERAGE CONTESTING FOR POLITICAL POST WILL NOT BE ABOVE 45?

WITH CLEAR MANIFESTO LIKE

SUPPORTING OF TRUE FEDERALISM

RESOURCE CONTROL OF MINERAL RESOURCE BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND STATE GOVERNMENT

ABOLISH OF IMMUNITY CLAUSE FOR THE PRESIDENT AND GOVERNOR FROM CRIMINAL OFFENSE WHILE IN OFFICE

IMMUNITY CLAUSE FOR THE PRESIDENT AND GOVERNOR ONLY ON CIVIL MATTER WHEN IN OFFICE

REDUCTION OF POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS ALLOWANCES NOT MORE THAN 10 TIMES OF THE COUNTRY MINIMUM WAGE AT ANY GIVEN TIME

COMPLETE AUTONOMY OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT TIER OF THE COUNTRY

INCREASE FROM 3 YEARS TO 4 YEARS LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN AND COUNCILORS TENURE AND REMOVING OF ELECTION CONDUCTING FROM THE STATE INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION

WE CAN START LOOKING FORM THAT SOLUTION STARTING TODAY ON NAIRALAND HERE .

JOHN AGBAI
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by ireneony(f): 2:24pm On Jun 09, 2016
I will definitely contest for 2022 election
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by julieooo(f): 3:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
Age as nothing to do wit wat is happening in de country now
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by giddykay: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2016
greatiyk4u:

Poverty, ill luck and laziness has done a lot of damages to your thinking faculty.................at 30, many Nigerians have the charisma, the finesse, finance and the popularity to win in a free and fair election, elections all over the world are sponsored by well wishers
you talk as if you live in germany!!!mtchew!!
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
Will it stop 50 and 60 and 70 year old from trouncing them in money based elections
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Kalaada: 7:24pm On Jun 09, 2016
[
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Kalaada: 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2016
i am shocked at the comments made on this page, this is a welcomed development and all people can do is poke holes.. na wao! you say it is because they want to handover to their children..well is there any precedence for that? did Tinubu's father hand over to him, even Obasanjo and IBB's kids are no where to be found on the Nigerian political scene. Nigeria is not like Saudi Arabia they system maybe corrupt; however merely being a son of a politician does not guarantee your being in power. Matter of fact most children of Naija big men are actually dullards, most of our politicians started from humble backgrounds eg GEJ, yeah you can mention Yaradua that had rich family members but so did the Bush family of America..

I thought youths will be jubilation but it seems Nigerians want to success to be spoon fed to them,
for those of us saying that no Nigerian youth can afford expensive senatorial or governorship form,... political positions like that are not meant for poor people.. I believe even in the US you have to a certain level of financial worth to be President.
A man who cannot create wealth for himself will he create wealth for the nation. Any body who cannot bring out at least 2 Million Naira to buy a form for Governorship or Senator shouldn't bother running.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Santi222(m): 4:29am On Jun 10, 2016
bot101:

I know of a 23 year old nairalander who spends hundreds of millions to import goods for sale. You know what this guy and others like him didn't do? They didn't and aren't spending their hay days thinking about their next or last boyfriend/girlfriend, didn't spend it thinking about how to convince their next 'catch'to 'fall', didn't spend it listening to music that demeans them and fill their mouths with vulgar words, didn't spend it thinking about the next party to attend, didn't spend it cooking up lies to tell their parents to extort money from them as undergrads, didn't live with the belief that only fraudsters, corrupt politicians and ritualists become wealthy and rich, didn't spend it believing that they need a 'connection'to rise career-wise, didn't spend it blaming the government for their last fart. You know what they spent their hay days doing, they spent it thinking about their future, they spent it planning and executing same in pursuit of specific set out goals, they spent it studying about who, what and where they want to be in the next 5 years, they spent it listening to music that raised their spirit, they spent it thinking about how to live Godly, honestly, and prosper as well because they know it is not only possible, but the shortest route to living happily tomorrow, they spent it becoming the 'connection' others would need to rise, they spent it becoming a government unto their fellow men. These ones my friend are they who would become the youth leaders of tommorow, eventually becoming the leaders of tomorrow. Be wise, pray, plan and accept no negative thoughts and even the skies, won't be worthy of being called your starting point.

Hmmm
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Santi222(m): 4:33am On Jun 10, 2016
JODELL:
We the Nigeria youths are the architect of our own problem in Nigeria, ask me why? the age limit electoral law have throw to us a big problem to solve as Nigeria youths, rather than start thinking of how to tackle the problem come 2019 election. We are hear lamenting Tinubu and Atiku sons and daughters are being paved the way into political office. Yes we all know that contesting electoral office is very expensive in every country in the world but not more expensive than the electorate which are the Nigeria youths. The world is looking for people to proffer solutions to problem and We youth are looking for alibis as we Nigerian youths keep doing. Yes we know the APC, PDP , APGA ETC ticket is not for an average Nigeria citizen and the party manifesto at the same time have no provision for the average !!NIGERIA CITIZEN!! BOTH FOR YOU AND ME THE YOUTH.

What if we the Nigeria YOUTH UNDER THE AGE OF 45 START THINKING OF FORMING A YOUTH POLITICAL PARTY? with members under the age of 45 years before 2019, which we all use to contest political office in the country?

Where the Party political form will not be above
#50,000 naira for senate and house of representative
#100,000 naira for President and Governorship candidate
#25,000 naira for State house of representative

The population on Nigeria Youths between 18 to 45 years old in the country is not less than 60 million which is a massive number to win any election in the country.

So let start thinking of solutions to problems as Nigeria YOUTHS not looking for excuses in every policy in the country.

WHAT IF WE START HERE ON NAIRALAND TO BRAINSTORMING ON HOW TO FORM !! NIGERIA YOUTH POLITICAL PARTY (NYPP) ?

WHERE AVERAGE CONTESTING FOR POLITICAL POST WILL NOT BE ABOVE 45?

WITH CLEAR MANIFESTO LIKE

SUPPORTING OF TRUE FEDERALISM

RESOURCE CONTROL OF MINERAL RESOURCE BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND STATE GOVERNMENT

ABOLISH OF IMMUNITY CLAUSE FOR THE PRESIDENT AND GOVERNOR FROM CRIMINAL OFFENSE WHILE IN OFFICE

IMMUNITY CLAUSE FOR THE PRESIDENT AND GOVERNOR ONLY ON CIVIL MATTER WHEN IN OFFICE

REDUCTION OF POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS ALLOWANCES NOT MORE THAN 10 TIMES OF THE COUNTRY MINIMUM WAGE AT ANY GIVEN TIME

COMPLETE AUTONOMY OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT TIER OF THE COUNTRY

INCREASE FROM 3 YEARS TO 4 YEARS LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN AND COUNCILORS TENURE AND REMOVING OF ELECTION CONDUCTING FROM THE STATE INDEPENDENT ELECTORAL COMMISSION

WE CAN START LOOKING FORM THAT SOLUTION STARTING TODAY ON NAIRALAND HERE .

JOHN AGBAI

Na only u talk better thing here.
Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by mensdept: 4:58am On Jun 10, 2016
Kalaada:
i am shocked at the comments made on this page, this is a welcomed development and all people can do is poke holes.. na wao! you say it is because they want to handover to their children..well is there any precedence for that? did Tinubu's father hand over to him, even Obasanjo and IBB's kids are no where to be found on the Nigerian political scene. Nigeria is not like Saudi Arabia they system maybe corrupt; however merely being a son of a politician does not guarantee your being in power. Matter of fact most children of Naija big men are actually dullards, most of our politicians started from humble backgrounds eg GEJ, yeah you can mention Yaradua that had rich family members but so did the Bush family of America..

I thought youths will be jubilation but it seems Nigerians want to success to be spoon fed to them,
for those of us saying that no Nigerian youth can afford expensive senatorial or governorship form,... political positions like that are not meant for poor people.. I believe even in the US you have to a certain level of financial worth to be President.
A man who cannot create wealth for himself will he create wealth for the nation. Any body who cannot bring out at least 2 Million Naira to buy a form for Governorship or Senator shouldn't bother running.

Some of the greatest leaders of men were born dust poor (Christ) or orphans (Mohammed), some sons of farmers (Awolowo) others sold into slavery (HRH King Jaja of Opopo/ Joseph of the Old Testament) and on and on. Thus, having or acquiring wealth as a requirement or suggestion in order to run for office in a third world nation is in itself inherently corrupt.

Do you know why the Youths are not so enthusiastic and dancing to Davido on this bill? Because they have woken up a few years back and have seen they have been led by mostly the wealthy and highly connected leaders through civilian, military, clergy, traditional rulerships, academia, and virtually every major institute that affects them directly, all to no avail.

You doubt the children of the wealthy and connected (who go abroad for school, to shop, vacation, to give birth, for medical issues like our so-called Ear and maybe cancer infected presido) won't simply come back to take positions or rig/right themselves in? Maybe you haven't heard of the Sarakis in Kwara. I doubt you in 1990 (if you were even born then) would have thought that former military dictators would have been presiding years later as civilian presidents in Africa's "largest" democracy. Some of those coupist even "created wealth for themselves" at the expense of folks like you, perhaps explaining your fantasy of money money money.

So no, there are important issues at hand and not cheap popularity stunts

1 Like

Re: Age Qualification Bill Passes 2nd Reading by Kalaada: 8:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
Please can anyone tell me what is the legal age for contesting for Local Government Chairman and councilor?
Would really appreciate it...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senator Mao Ohuabunwa Uses Frying Pans, Gas Cylinders To Empower Constituents / In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.