Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,646 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene (65744 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola’s Marriage Crashes - TheCapital.NG Claims / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife Arrive US / Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife Wuraola At His Palace (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by AreaFada2: 9:57am On Jun 09, 2016
Codes151:
U getting it wrong! Only the Benin kingdom is respected for this! They held their grounds n fought! Every other monarch fell by their greed starting from urs!

My dear, very funny how little history people know. Bight of Benin was never called Slave Coast, for example. Benin today has no freed slave diaspora because the Oba did everything to protects Benins (not Binis as often wrongly written) from slavery. Even sending royal spies to slave holding cells at Ughoton/Gwatto to codedly check for any Edo speakers stolen by slave robbers and raiders.
Often many people from former vassal lands accuse Benin of selling them as slaves, while never selling Benin people. Complete nonsense.

Benin spent a lot of expense on mercenary soldiers to complement Benin/other Edoid tribes soldiers in imperial wars.

Benin had a disadvantage of low population so it badly needed colonies/vassal lands to help provide more soldiers. So selling slaves in vassal lands was not in Benin's interest.

In fact, the elites of vassal chiefdoms/lands/kingdoms lobbied to let slave trade in their own lands to continue. To avoid too much rebellion from colonies, Oba had to reluctantly agree but passed a decree that "No Benin person shall be sold as a slave, and no Benin person shall buy or sell a slave".
Effectively forbidding core Benin from slave trade. This was about 200 years before Britain abolished slavery in 1807.

This decree that was made imperative because the elites of other tribes (within the empire) wanted to continue slave trade is used to claim that Benin sold other tribes as slaves.

A European slave trader travelled from Benin to Ughoton. According to his diary, on the way, he saw about 100 slaves for sale. On asking, he found out that no slave or trader was a Benin person.

A record of slave origins (where they were bought from) as recorded by European slave traders, was on a thread here some years back. It confirmed that. Benin was missing from origin/trade areas of slaves.

Of course one cannot say that no Benin person ever sold a slave. Just like narcotics are banned by every government, but some people still illegally sell. But if caught, serious punishment.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by UKBobo(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2016
Read a few monkeys here glorifying slavery and the sale of their own kith and kin.

Let me remind you all that the sale of cargo carried Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa alike. Why is it that Yoruba culture is so predominant in Cuban and Brazilian history - no be yoruba movie transfusion!

Why is it that Igbo culture is so predominant on the Gullah islands/South Carolina. No be through Christian song CD!

It's because oyinbo carried gun and cutlass and enlisted the help of coastal tribes to raid the interior. Reason why many in the coastal tribes bear english surnames and still wear Victorian bowler hats and Oyinbo headwear (from Ga in Ghana to Ijaw in the ND).

If you want to think like a monkey, keep it to yourself - niggerology at it's worst. cry cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by tete7000(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2016
Badgers14:
Who them epp
I wonder o!
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Evathyst(f): 9:59am On Jun 09, 2016
Bethelwealthy:
...............sunlight cannot be hidden. Is it wrong for him to travel? Did he invite d crowd? No!!!! He Just famous and people love him.......[sekere ][/s]Iku Baba Yeye[s][/s] o
Ooni of Ife cannot be praised with that 'appellate' Iku Baba Yeye! That's the Alaafin on Oyo's appellate. Get your facts right please!

Alaafin is the one hailed as 'Iku Baba Yeye, ojo pa sekere omo atiba...'

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Emmaus12: 10:00am On Jun 09, 2016
Oh so na why in go visit Obafemi, to collect PTA..... grin grin grin
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Bkoks: 10:22am On Jun 09, 2016
Guys honest question...how's he going to pass through security..I mean the staff, crown etc, is he going to be put through a private area
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 10:24am On Jun 09, 2016
These bini clowns and always lying about Binis not being sold into slavery.

Itsekiris sold tons of Bini slaves.

I'm going to bust that myth today, with academic references from my archives. grin

Thank God I've got my USB with me today. grin

I'll be back. grin

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 09, 2016
Yorubanews:

Bight of Biafra is the SLAVE COAST. Check your history book. Your people sold each other for mirrors.
That awkward moment when you wanna punch someone and you ended up receiving double punch grin grin
This one na smackdown

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by eazisky(m): 10:28am On Jun 09, 2016
WhoRUDeceiving:

Receive blue passport in Jesus name so that you too can join in the trek. You people can never change. That is why outsiders said an area was (and perhaps still is) the SLAVE COAST

Remain a jealous idiot till u kick bucket

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by yesboss20(m): 10:31am On Jun 09, 2016
smsshola:

Naija sha...must all these entourage follow him to port? See as dem dey waste taxpayer money...mtchew

Tax payers' money How so?
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by dacovajnr: 10:40am On Jun 09, 2016
Yorubanews:

Bight of Biafra is the SLAVE COAST. Check your history book. Your people sold each other for mirrors.
Haba it's too early Egbon grin

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by joey150(m): 10:56am On Jun 09, 2016
Who finances this guys tourisim?
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by saintdennis(m): 11:01am On Jun 09, 2016
Codes151:
U getting it wrong! Only the Benin kingdom is respected for this! They held their grounds n fought! Every other monarch fell by their greed starting from urs!

Hmm a pretty chick who knows history...cool

Omon n'edo wekin?

Anyway these Yoruba's and igbos will always deny their forefathers were cowards led by greed and ignorance to selling their kinsmen and conniving with the white men for things as stupid as mirror, tobacco etc

Anyone who claims benin's were traded as slaves must be high on agbor weed.

They can type but can't upload evidence. My source is the U.S LIBRARY OF CONGRESS.

Pictures attachéd below

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by laviecontinue: 11:08am On Jun 09, 2016
Wow! Congrat to queen. #shutthemup otiti, can't wait. (Singing kuchi kuchi ahhh)
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by saintdennis(m): 11:12am On Jun 09, 2016
igwegeorgiano:
serious? just bein curious though, what will happen to him if he leaves the palace?

Lols bro I don't know ooo... but the beauty of benin culture is tradition remains tradition.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 11:16am On Jun 09, 2016
It's a pity I can't find the academic references for the slave records of the peak of slavery in the Bight of Benin, from the 1820 upwards, when the majority of Yoruba and Bini slaves were sold into slavery. That was the era of the Kiriji wars; Bini kingdom was in decline and it was raided constantly by Itsekiri slave merchants and other groups; and there was a slave boom in the Bight of Benin.

However, I'll post early records in four countries in the new world that show slaves of Bini origin. Edo/Adda/Ado/Addo signify Bini. While Yorubas are Lucumi, Yoruba, Nago, Yolaba, Yruba, Nargo, Oyo, Uraba, Euroba, Europa etc.. Popo is also Yoruba, but they were never classified with the larger Yoruba group cos they were in Dahomey.

From the pictures: you'd see that there were few Bini and Yoruba slaves at that point in history, apart from Popos. And that's cos Popos were raided and sold in large numbers by Dahomey. Oyo protected the other Yorubas. However, the story changed for Yorubas and Binis from 1820 upwards. All in all, there were more Yoruba slaves, but to say Binis weren't sold into slavery is the biggest lie ever.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by lastpage: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2016
mkoabiola:
A lot of ppu criticise d late king oba okunade sijuade for not promoting d unity of yorubas well.
Now,there is an energetic king who knws d importance of travelling ,
It is beta he travel dan seating at his palace

Infact he should travel round d world.
It is a good omen to d yoruba race.

On whose MONEY is he doing all the travel?

if it is on his personal wealth........ good for him (I just dey wonder wetin his former wife and her clique go they think right now! grin grin )

But if it is on PUBLIC FUNDS, in this era of "tightening belt", .... abeg, make him relax o!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by lastpage: 11:41am On Jun 09, 2016
UKBobo:
Read a few monkeys here glorifying slavery and the sale of their own kith and kin.

Let me remind you all that the sale of cargo carried Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa alike. Why is it that Yoruba culture is so predominant in Cuban and Brazilian history - no be yoruba movie transfusion!

Why is it that Igbo culture is so predominant on the Gullah islands/South Carolina. No be through Christian song CD!

It's because oyinbo carried gun and cutlass and enlisted the help of coastal tribes to raid the interior. Reason why many in the coastal tribes bear english surnames and still wear Victorian bowler hats and Oyinbo headwear (from Ga in Ghana to Ijaw in the ND).

If you want to think like a monkey, keep it to yourself - niggerology at it's worst. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Thank you.

The Slave masters must be having a laugh at this moment, seeing that if allowed to come back, some of these Niggas are still ready to offer him SLAVES, from amongst themselves!

Its a sad commentary... these Nigerians ehn? angry angry

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 09, 2016
Codes151:

And have you forgotten that the permanent ruler of Benin kingdom is from Ile-Ife? You should read between the lines when next you attend your history class.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Dirkcoyt: 12:05pm On Jun 09, 2016
saintdennis:

Hmm a pretty chick who knows history...cool

Omon n'edo wekin?

Anyway these Yoruba's and igbos will always deny their forefathers were cowards led by greed and ignorance to selling their kinsmen and conniving with the white men for things as stupid as mirror, tobacco etc

Anyone who claims benin's were traded as slaves must be high on agbor weed.

They can type but can't upload evidence. My source is the U.S LIBRARY OF CONGRESS.

Pictures attachéd below
Really? Cowards? You binis won't seems to amaze me! A tribe that conquered from from nigeria all the way to togo are cowards? You that is not coward,we know you only stuck up in a small tiny landlocked area! You couldn't even conquer the shrimp size communites around you and stamp your foot on their lands. Its a pity!

You guys are not only myopic but completely ignorant and worse still? You only believe what your clownish clanish elders and obas tell you alone with seeking knowledge.

Yeah right, we all know the language with the most widespread in the world from southern nigeria! Get it straight! The YORUBAS are your bigger brother who gave you reasons to live of develop by installing an OBA in you fu-cking land without your cowards sons doing anything.

Oramiyan fu-cked a bini lady to birth a king in your land, that's history will never be distorted by million bini revisionist!

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by saintdennis(m): 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2016
Dirkcoyt:

Really? Cowards? You binis won't seems to amaze me! A tribe that conquered from from nigeria all the way to togo are cowards? You that is not coward,we know you only stuck up in a small tiny landlocked area! You couldn't even conquer the shrimp size communites around you and stamp your foot on their lands. Its a pity!

You guys are not only myopic but completely ignorant and worse still? You only believe what your clownish clanish elders and obas tell you alone with seeking knowledge.

Yeah right, we all know the language with the most widespread in the world from southern nigeria! Get it straight! The YORUBAS are your bigger brother who gave you reasons to live of develop by installing an OBA in you fu-cking land without your cowards sons doing anything.

Oramiyan fu-cked a bini lady to birth a king in your land, that's history will never be distorted by million bini revisionist!

Lols we didn't conquer? Rotfl. U just angry jare. Let them do quick reintroduce history to school curriculum b4 more people with no idea of history like u spring up.

Let them enlighten u. Just click google.com and ask about map of benin empire. It would have saved u this embarassment.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
Yorubanews:

This is the bight of biafra according to your history book "the Bight of Biafra, a major exporting region, extending from
the Niger Delta (exclusive of the River Nun) in modern Nigeria to Cape Lopez in modern Gabon
. " - the slave trade and culture in the bight of biafra

I hope this helps you get more understanding.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by saintdennis(m): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Dirkcoyt:

NOBODY is arguing that one with you... our oba has yoruba blood that is true.

As for language since u know history so well how could YOU DONT KNOW bini language isn't widely spoken because IT WAS A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY DEATH for a non-bini to speak the language.

And well if u doubt bini police then go check out the diary entries of the portuguese visitors who used benin as a yardstick in comparism with crime in London. It's all on the Internet bro.

Also is benin really landlocked? Check again
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Etinosajay(m): 12:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
mkoabiola:
A lot of ppu criticise d late king oba okunade sijuade for not promoting d unity of yorubas well.
Now,there is an energetic king who knws d importance of travelling ,
It is beta he travel dan seating at his palace

Infact he should travel round d world.
It is a good omen to d yoruba race.

Hypocrite.

If it's a king from another tribe, your fingers will be itchy to criticise and spread hate
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by paris10: 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2016
Is he the president ni? He's been acting as president for a while now. Ooba of Benin will travel soon too because they started it.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Etinosajay(m): 12:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
bigtt76:
Absolutely unnecessary undecided

Exactly.

Unite yoruba race ke.

Were they divided before? Or scattered?

I hope he's planning on coming back with all the Yoruba people abroad. That's the unity I expect.

Instead of saying he wants to go to Yankee and snap picture like king Japhet jopher in Eddie murhpy's coming to america.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Etinosajay(m): 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2016
igwegeorgiano:
yhe newly installed oba of benin should learn gtom oba oguwusi o. with all due resprct to the throne and the binis

Learn what?

Like he hasn't been abroad before?

People talking out of ignorance since before christ.

If Yankee doesn't come to him, make Yankee dey there.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by callJesu: 12:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
Such scene can only be created in Nigeria
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by phelix001: 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2016
It is even traumatic that you don't understand that fact that Oyo empire became famous as a result of the fact that she traded humans for guns and gun powder.
Yorubanews:

It's rather unfortunate that biafrans don't know their history.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2016
Etinosajay:

Exactly.

Unite yoruba race ke.

Were they divided before? Or scattered?

I hope he's planning on coming back with all the Yoruba people abroad. That's the unity I expect.

Instead of saying he wants to go to Yankee and snap picture like king Japhet jopher in Eddie murhpy's coming to america.

Lmao @ Coming to America and King Jaffe Joffer reference loool. Very apt.

You are a genius - this cracked me up lol
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 12:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
saintdennis:

NOBODY is arguing that one with you... our oba has yoruba blood that is true.

As for language since u know history so well how could YOU DONT KNOW bini language isn't widely spoken because IT WAS A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY DEATH for a non-bini to speak the language.

And well if u doubt bini police then go check out the diary entries of the portuguese visitors who used benin as a yardstick in comparism with crime in London. It's all on the Internet bro.

Also is benin really landlocked? Check again

Bini son, are the Ogisos still planning to parachute ya Oba, his throne, dynasty, and crown back to Ife - or have they changed their mind?

You just can't change the Yoruba influence/blood/dynasty that put Bini on the map. Ogisos need to smoke some weed and chill lol.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 12:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
Dirkcoyt:

Oranyan was a G lol. The guy conquered and built dynasties everywhere with his manhood - and not by being a warrior lol. The guy just smashed a Bini woman, impregnated her, and left his seed there to rule over them. Left the place to start Oyo in Katunga, lost the place but he fvcked a next woman and impregnated her. Left the place for Ife and allowed his offspring to start a new Oyo in Oyo Ile lol.

That's my nyggah right there and the obelisk in Ife represents the greatness of his manhood (no homo) Loool.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.