Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene (65743 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola’s Marriage Crashes - TheCapital.NG Claims / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife Arrive US / Ooni Ogunwusi And His Wife Wuraola At His Palace (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Shym3xx: 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2016
AreaFada2:

Shymex, do you deny that Oba Akintoye told the British that Oba of Benin confirms who should be Eleko of Eko in 1853?
Do you deny that Benin conquered the Aworis before Ashipa, a Benin prince became first Eleko of Eko?
Do you also disagree that Benin sacked Akure in 1833?

I have Ga people from Osu area of Accra as inlaws and friends. All are quite aware that they came from Benin originally. How did they get there?
Do you know that Late president Eyadema traced his origins to Edo?

Do you know why Mathieu Kerekou sought permission of Oba of Benin to adopt the name Benin as new name of Dahomey in the 1970s?
Did you ask why he did not Chose Oyo, Egba, Ife, Ijebu, Kano, kanem Borno, Sokoto, etc that are very famous kingdoms/emirates?

We are all educated. Let's put tribalism aside and look at things dispassionately. Objectively.

The truth after all will make all of us wiser. Not that there are $billions at stake in losing the argument? cheesy grin

But was Eko conquered or did Bini set up a camp there based on negotiations and appeal from Oyo cos Oyo's Calvary wouldn't be effective on the coast against Dahomey? If Bini conquered Eko, how come the Eleko of Eko owns no land in Lagos and everything belongs to the Idejo Chiefs?

Also, for Bini to conquer Eko militarily back then, it would've to go through Ijebu kingdom. However, that never happened and the link between Bini and Eko is the Mahin and the Mahins were the ones who transported Bini Warriors and royals through the Lagoon, back and forth. The Mahins also were never under Bini and everything with Eko had to do with a concerted effort to stop Dahomey from expanding westwards.

Dahomey was named after Bight of Benin and name is more inclusive than Dahomey since there are Yoruba groups in the country.

We both know Bini never even got anywhere near going to war with Dahomey and it also didn't conquer Owo. So why's the other guy telling porkies?
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Codes151(m): 5:56pm On Jun 10, 2016
AreaFada2:

My dear, I have tried educating many tribal supremacists here for many years now.

The same argument broke out earlier this year & late last year after very unguarded utterances by Alake of Abeokuta & Olu of Warri about Ooni of Ife being senior to Oba of Benin.

Read the thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=oranmiyan+did+not+set+foot+in+benin&search=Search

To begin with, Olu of Warri cannot know because the first Olu of Warri was the son of Oba Olua of Benin (reigned 1473-1480AD). Any connection of Olu of Warri to Ododuwa is through Benin, so it is Benin who will tell him who his ancestors are. Just like Ashipa the first Eleko (now called Oba) of Lagos was a Benin Prince.

I'm happy to see young people like you showing interest in your illustrious history. Because if you don't, other people will try to twist it and write in their favour.

Ododuwa (Izoduwa) was Prince Ekaladerhan of Benin. He was exiled and made his way to Ife. When he was eventually made ruler of Ife, he said Izoduwa, Ima ghi d'oduwa meaning " I did not miss my destiny".

But Ogiso Owodo, his father died in Benin with no heir. Eventually Benin chiefs learnt that Ekaladerhan was in fact now ruler of Ife. They went to bring him back but he refused. Maybe he was now old or the sad memory of banishment was still fresh or some other reason. But he later sent his son Oranmiyan to Benin.

Therefore, Benin is the father of Ododuwa and all Obas in Yorubaland that descended from Ododuwa.
Don't let anyone use modern politics of large population to deceive you.

Rome was just a city with a fairly small population, but went on to dominate the world through Roman Empire that spanned much of Europe, Asia & North Africa.

So was Benin in the South-Eastern part of West Africa from 1440 to 1897 AD.

Here's a dude that knws much about history.. learn from him fellas
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by AreaFada2: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2016
Shym3xx:

But was Eko conquered or did Bini set up a camp there based on negotiations and appeal from Oyo cos Oyo's Calvary wouldn't be effective on the coast against Dahomey? If Bini conquered Eko, how come the Eleko of Eko owns no land in Lagos and everything belongs to the Idejo Chiefs?

Also, for Bini to conquer Eko militarily back then, it would've to go through Ijebu kingdom. However, that never happened and the link between Bini and Eko is the Mahin and the Mahins were the ones who transported Bini Warriors and royals through the Lagoon, back and forth. The Mahins also were never under Bini and everything with Eko had to do with a concerted effort to stop Dahomey from expanding westwards.

Dahomey was named after Bight of Benin and name is more inclusive than Dahomey since there are Yoruba groups in the country.

We both know Bini never even got anywhere near going to war with Dahomey and it also didn't conquer Owo. So why's the other guy telling porkies?
Again your history knowledge is flawed. So you have no knowledge of Benin-Ijebu war? Or that both Awujale and Owa of Owo came Oba of Benin's souzerainty? Wow!
As for Owo, don't even go there because it's part of my history. What historians agree on, even objective Yoruba ones is that Owo retained much autonomy after it was conquered.
It amazes me how much Yoruba like to quickly dismiss any of it's domains were conquered. Remember that the only major respected military power in Yorubaland then was Oyo Empire. Others were divided and in frequent internecine wars.

Aside notably Ibadans and Ijebu helping Oyo defeat and repel the Jahadists. They knew they would be overrun once Oyo was taken. Self defence I would say.

Even then Benin went to war with Oyo to defend Ekiti against Oyo. Benin and Oyo eventually set their boundary of sphere of influence at Otun, today in Northern Ekiti. My relatives living in Emure-Ekiti and around there are not ignorant of it.

Go to Owo and observe how the monarchy and attires are organised. The Benin influence is very evident.

As for naming after Bight of Benin, you have no evidence of that as the reason. Ghana chose Ghana to replace Gold Coast for same reason copied by Benin Republic.

Anyway, Benin signed away its rights over territories outside core Benin speaking areas in 1914, as condition to restore the monarchy and has no interest in them now. But provocative revisionist utterances cannot be tolerated.
Yoruba teaching of history is very much towards supremacy. Very sad for an educated tribe.

They ought to know that simple truth is far better.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Wyttcat: 8:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
Gibberish is all you wrote!

Itsekiri are directly related to Yoruba, the modern Benin are not.

Obagodo is a phenomenon that is less than between 1- 10 years, he NEVER existed. I threw an open-air challenge about 6 months ago for any documents or where he was ever mentioned before now, like the way Yoruba have OBALUWAYE, OBALUFON, OBAMERI, OBATALA among others, or show where you had used the word 'Oba' prior to Yoruba introducing it to you with Oranmiyan, up till now no one has been able to get anything.

Using Yoruba name and language are a pointer to Yoruba as the boss then and now. British population in Nigeria was miniscule but left their language and names, population is never an excuse, once you are great and powerful, you will always be no matter what. Benin was never anything other than make believe feel-good super story. Modern Benin generation couldn't build on what never existed.

Yoruba are not the only people who trekked thousands of miles to their present location, the Lemba of south Africa and Zimbabwe came from the middle east with strong scientific backing well checked out, they claim when they continued south, while others stopped in sudan and the present west Africa. We know our history. You don't know yours. There's still hope that you will find out what happened to your missing storybook prince in your neighboring towns if he wasn't devoured by wild animals, only if he ever existed and your long throat is put in check, but I'll tell you that he NEVER made it to our area.

Your Benin history is no history at all, it is fantasy, made-to-order junk. Your history is made up as you go, you never had anything out of the ordinary, aside taking advantage of smaller tribes like Itsekiri and Olukumi and pushing them further.

The only thing that's really settled is the story corroborated by two opposing sides and that is, a Prince from Ile Ife Yoruba land came to rule over you as your first Oba and named the land 'Bini' though it has since been KOBOKOBOLIZED. This is fact, and not the one you spew from your deranged inferior minds.
AreaFada2:

Hahahahaha!

You seem very ignorant of history. Another Yoruba man thinking a large ethnic group means historical supremacy.

Who said all Itsekiri are Edo? Do you know the history of Itsekhiri monarchy or you just talk for nothing? In fact your knowledge of history is abysmal. Itsekiri are a mix of aboriginal people, plus much Ijebu, a little Owo & Benin elite (Olu & Benin nobility that accompanied him to his new costal domain).

No genuine member of Itsekiri royal family ever denied they are descendants of Prince Ginuwa, the son of Oba Olua of Benin.
Let me and you go to Ode Itsekhiri and ask. I challenge you.

The title Oba Olua gave to his son was Ogiame, meaning Lord of the Seas/gods/goddesses. A position that necessitated an oath to Olokun (river goddess). Being sent as a duke over the coast on Bight of Benin. Check what happened in Warri what happened when last Olu of Warri tried to remove Ogiame title from his name in 2013. He was asked to leave throne, for trying to dump the title they brought from Benin and he quickly abandoned the plan. Google it.

Again you don't know Benin language. Omo n'Oba is not same as Omo Oba (Yoruba). Ask what you don't know. Omo Oba equals Ovbioba or Okoro in Benin language.

The title Oba was used in Benin way before Oranmiyan. It was used as Oba-godo of Igodomigodo as title by Ogisos pre-Ododuwa.

Half of my people in my village in Edo speak a language 80% similar to Olukumi. Olukumi, like a dialect spoken in my village is from Owo Yoruba. Like Olukumi, they were immigrants from Eastern Yorubaland in imperial times. Sometimes now called Ado-Akure (Edo n'Ekue in Benin). Diaspora Ado-Akure litter Ondo & Ekiti states today. We are very conscious of our history. Both the Yoruba & Benin side.

As for language & conquest, Benin did not have the population to populate colonies or spread the language. Benin even used paid mercenaries (like Romans & others did too) to prosecute imperial wars. These were recorded by Europeans who accompanied Oba Esigie & Ozolua to conquest wars Eastern Yoruba land. And there was no written language. Instead princes were sent to rule over them according to local culture.

Please read history widely before you display ignorance in a public forum.

Trying to use ogboju to twist history won't work. Yoruba write their history, Benin write theirs. But Benin history makes more sense, even scientifically, because I cannot imagine Ododuwa coming from Arabia or Sudan or Yemen or wherever. With what, a dragon or a phoenix? Or even using chain to climb down from heaven. grin cheesy

He travelled only about 140 miles from Benin to Ife, entering from the East to become Ododuwa. Who is father of most Yoruba rulers. That is the only thing settled.

Tell your fairy-tale story to your 4 years old niece, she won't even believe you. grin cheesy

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by AreaFada2: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2016
Wyttcat:
Gibberish is all you wrote!

Itsekiri are directly related to Yoruba, the modern Benin are not.

Obagodo is a phenomenon that is less than between 1- 10 years, he NEVER existed. I threw an open-air challenge about 6 months ago for any documents or where he was ever mentioned before now, like the way Yoruba have OBALUWAYE, OBALUFON, OBAMERI, OBATALA among others, or show where you had used the word 'Oba' prior to Yoruba introducing it to you with Oranmiyan, up till now no one has been able to get anything.

Using Yoruba name and language are a pointer to Yoruba as the boss then and now. British population in Nigeria was miniscule but left their language and names, population is never an excuse, once you are great and powerful, you will always be no matter what. Benin was never anything other than make believe feel-good super story. Modern Benin generation couldn't build on what never existed.

Yoruba are not the only people who trekked thousands of miles to their present location, the Lemba of south Africa and Zimbabwe came from the middle east with strong scientific backing well checked out, they claim when they continued south, while others stopped in sudan and the present west Africa. We know our history. You don't know yours. There's still hope that you will find out what happened to your missing storybook prince in your neighboring towns if he wasn't devoured by wild animals, only if he ever existed and your long throat is put in check, but I'll tell you that he NEVER made it to our area.

Your Benin history is no history at all, it is fantasy, made-to-order junk. Your history is made up as you go, you never had anything out of the ordinary, aside taking advantage of smaller tribes like Itsekiri and Olukumi and pushing them further.

The only thing that's really settled is the story corroborated by two opposing sides and that is, a Prince from Ile Ife Yoruba land came to rule over you as your first Oba and named the land 'Bini' though it has since been KOBOKOBOLIZED. This is fact, and not the one you spew from your deranged inferior minds.

Hahahahahaha!

Wake up from your dream.

Your revisionism is dead on arrival.

Anyway, why argue with a tormented soul, a Walter Mitty ? grin cheesy

No amount of shouting or insults can change history.

It only shows a ghetto person seeking attention on an anonymous platform.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Wyttcat: 5:48am On Jun 12, 2016
Lame star-gazer!

Go and air dry your soggy butt, you've been dropped cold.

What an easy way out for you stateless wanderers without great heritage desperately making up history daily as you go.

You have always used the crumbs from Yoruba to build your identity, you were never anything and still nothing.

It has to really be bad for you to want to scam your way into building live that never existed, legacy that never happened and if it didn't happen, you can't build on it.

AreaFada2:

Hahahahahaha!

Wake up from your dream.

Your revisionism is dead on arrival.

Anyway, why are argue with a tormented soul, a Walter Mitty ? grin cheesy

No amount of shouting or insults can change history.

It only shows a ghetto person seeking attention on an anonymous platform.

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Bethelwealthy(m): 12:05am On Jun 16, 2016
Evathyst:
See why you'll never learn? Arrogance!

A person who is ignorant of a fact shouldn't be so arrogant to learn it. Anyways, maybe it's congenital sha. That's your cup of kunu though. tongue

For the records, I'm not a guy. So please, open your eyes when quoting people next time. angry

Enjoy the rest of your day.

die this matter, Eva-thirsty. hahahaha

Peace!
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Bethelwealthy(m): 12:07am On Jun 16, 2016
Evathyst:

A person who is ignorant of a fact shouldn't be so arrogant to learn it. Anyways, maybe it's congenital sha. That's your cup of kunu though. tongue

For the records, I'm not a guy. So please, open your eyes when quoting people next time. angry

Peace!

die this matter, Eva-thirsty. hahahaha
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Bethelwealthy(m): 7:57am On Jun 22, 2016
Evathyst:

Peace!

Pardon my tone Mimzy,..........you look great
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Evathyst(f): 11:23am On Jun 22, 2016
Bethelwealthy:

Pardon my tone Mimzy,..........you look great
Apology accepted! wink wink

Vote Mimzy first, then, come back for a hug... wink
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by Bethelwealthy(m): 5:37am On Jun 23, 2016
Evathyst:
Apology accepted! wink wink

Vote Mimzy first, then, come back for a hug... wink

Mimzy! Just a hug, thought am taking you to Maama. Where's d link to vote, voting u al d way
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene by jbblues24(m): 9:35pm On Jun 01, 2019
Extra excellent dude undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.