Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,947 members, 7,863,352 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:06 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (503) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820333 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (500) (501) (502) (503) (504) (505) (506) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:53pm On Feb 18, 2008
See more rumour mongering to push up the price of Afribank grin grin grin

http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/2008/02/17/afribank-plc-gears-towards-a-superb-year-end/

Check out words like "bumper", "superb", and "bountiful" grin grin grin

This Afribank Management means business o.

If the result will be so good, why don't they let us wait for it ?? grin grin

Oya broker. Kia kia. Sell all my Aiico and load Afribank all the way grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2008
pumping777:

Many prices occur between the low, the high, the open and the close prices. You won't find your individual sell or buy prices on any site except you bought or sold at the low, high, open or closing price for the day.

You should only be concerned if you stock was bought or sold at a price lower than the lowest for the day or higher than the highest price of the day.

Of course I won't complain if it is sold at a price higher than the highest of the day grin or bought at a price lower than the lowest of the day grin
I don't know how you know this pumping but if it's true, then my confidence has returned. I thought the fluctuations of a stock are fully captured in the opening,high,low and closing prices.
easimoni:

According to my FSDH sheet, the lows for the aforementioned companies are
FBN 48.75
GTB 36.36
UBA 49.81

Your broker sold your shares within the day's ranges. Abi did I misunderstand your question?
Your understanding is in order easimoni.
I couldn't have wished for better answers from you guys.

By the way Easimoni, I looked at your your recent upload for this thread, was really amazed how you came by all those data and the patience you managed in compiling them. That's really painstaking job.Very commendable.

I used it to further my research on Union bank. Was scared by the share outstanding you calculated for them. You increased it from 11b to 14b. Remarking on it you said there is a 9billion goodwill to be written off.
Didn't really understand how paying off goodwill increased the share outstanding.Is there some sort of conversion at work?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Bizl4Rizl(m): 9:06pm On Feb 18, 2008
SOS!!!

Please I need fellow shareholders of SKYE bank to help out!!! (or anyone in the know)

I have some shares in SKYE bank and want to take up my rights in the current offer but I have been expecting the rights circular in the mail and havent received it yet! So what do I do? I am in the dark, anyone witht he same experience & how do we go about solving it? Go to the registrars or to the head office or where ? ? ?

Would appreciate your response , Thanks!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:13pm On Feb 18, 2008
Iwerebor:

By the way Easimoni, I looked at your your recent upload for this thread, was really amazed how you came by all those data and the patience you managed in compiling them. That's really painstaking job.Very commendable.

I used it to further my research on Union bank. Was scared by the share outstanding you calculated for them. You increased it from 11b to 14b. Remarking on it you said there is a 9billion goodwill to be written off.
Didn't really understand how paying off goodwill increased the share outstanding.Is there some sort of conversion at work?

To the 1st part: thanks

To the 2nd, I increased the # of shares because of the last bonus issued (1-for-5). The 9B in goodwill has nothing to do with outstanding shares; it's just a reminder as to why UBN's results may not be good for FY March 08 but should subsequently improve quite dramatically. Since you noticed, watch out for Union post-FY announcement.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 9:18pm On Feb 18, 2008
@pumping, there was no mention of any bonus 'rumour' in the story. Does this mean we should disbelieve the possibility of such occurence.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oore(m): 9:26pm On Feb 18, 2008
Bizl4Rizl:

SOS!!!

Please I need fellow shareholders of SKYE bank to help out!!! (or anyone in the know)

I have some shares in SKYE bank and want to take up my rights in the current offer but I have been expecting the rights circular in the mail and havent received it yet! So what do I do? I am in the dark, anyone witht he same experience & how do we go about solving it? Go to the registrars or to the head office or where ? ? ?

Would appreciate your response , Thanks!

You need to visit the registrar of Skye bank and get your copy of rights form quickly. The offer closes officially WED. Your broker can help you to collect this form if you are not available in Lagos or Nigeria. The registrar's address is City Securities (registrars) Limited, Primose Tower (5th floor), 17A Tinubu Street Lagos
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:41pm On Feb 18, 2008
would be very suprised if afribank declared bonus.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2008
@ easimoni,

pls do you know if and when NEM be will going on TS ?
I do not want to get caught up.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obalende: 9:59pm On Feb 18, 2008
guys, this thread is moving too fast - una eyes de red for money oh<kidding> (excuse my pidgeon english).

Anyways, the thread has gone too long, I will resort to information retrieval and data mining to dig up valuables from here. Time is coming on NSE when men shall be doing optical character recognition on dailies and writing perl scripts to automate getting info.

Anyways, I have one million naira and I am looking for 60% returns in two months; i will be concentrating the funds into just one insurance company - I have reduced the list down  to two - NIGER and CORNERSTONE. what are the pros and cons of each of these
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2008
Obalende:

guys, this thread is moving too fast - una eyes de red for money oh<kidding> (excuse my pidgeon english).

Anyways, the thread has gone too long, I will resort to information retrieval and data mining to dig up valuables from here. Time is coming on NSE when men shall be doing optical character recognition on dailies and writing perl scripts to automate getting info.

Anyways, I have one million naira and I am looking for 60% returns in two months; i will be concentrating the funds into just one insurance company - I have reduced the list down to two - NIGER and CORNERSTONE. what are the pros and cons of each of these
Check very well.
I heard Niger may be going on TS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2008
Obalende:

Anyways, I have one million naira and I am looking for 60% returns in two months; i will be concentrating the funds into just one insurance company - I have reduced the list down to two - NIGER and CORNERSTONE. what are the pros and cons of each of these

Con - TS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2008
pumping777:

See more rumour mongering to push up the price of Afribank grin grin grin

http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/2008/02/17/afribank-plc-gears-towards-a-superb-year-end/

Check out words like "bumper", "superb", and "bountiful" grin grin grin

This Afribank Management means business o.

If the result will be so good, why don't they let us wait for it ?? grin grin

Oya broker. Kia kia. Sell all my Aiico and load Afribank all the way grin

As my friend would say - i no dey enter armrobber moto o, wink
Meanwhile, regarding the insurance coys - had my eye on three (Prestige, Oasisins & Mbenefit), but got one - Mbenefit, now checkout the volume on that one today, cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
invisible!:

@pumping, there was no mention of any bonus 'rumour' in the story. Does this mean we should disbelieve the possibility of such occurence.

If you are referring to my last post on Afribank, there was no "bonus" rumour in that one.

However, there was "bonus" rumour in the one I pasted a day or two back.

What I am really highlighting is that these folks are very focused on driving the price of the stock north. Believing or not believing is not important. It might provide the right CICO opportunity.

There is no need to wait to hear if there is bonus. A good CICO merchant would have collect his/her loot and bailed.

One thing I know for sure though, Afribank price will not be anywhere near N26 by the time the result is announced. Don't ask me why though. I just know that more rumours will follow these ones and the price must rise.

Abeg, I am not recommending buying the stock sha o. I have some already but I'm not thinking of buying any more to tell you I am not moved by this rumour or am I

My risk appetite is not so high but I believe others that take the risk may smile.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 10:16pm On Feb 18, 2008
The association of telecommunications employees just announced their happiness over the reversal of the sale of NITEL to Transcorp. They came out of a meeting today and released a press conference urging Transcorp to go to court, so they will be asked by Nigerians what they have been doing since with the company. Bla bla bla……

Is this an early attempt by FG to score some propaganda points against the company or are they any serious?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 10:17pm On Feb 18, 2008
MY BUY LIST

Diamond Bank (Short - Medium Term)
Oceanic (Medium - Long term)
Beta Glass (Short - Medium Term)
NASCON (Short - Medium term)
Standard Alliance (Medium term)
Fidelity Bank (Medium - Long term)
Livestock (Speculative)
Zenith Bank (Medium term)
R T Briscoe (Short term)
Deap Cap (Medium term)

Bye kiss
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:19pm On Feb 18, 2008
[/quote][quote author=SavvyLanre link=topic=31554.msg1970428#msg1970428 date=1203369164]
As my friend would say - i no dey enter armrobber moto o, wink
Meanwhile, regarding the insurance coys - had my eye on three (Prestige, Oasisins & Mbenefit), but got one - Mbenefit, now checkout the volume on that one today, cool cool

Unusual high volume can point to TS being near so be on the look out. I hope not sha till you don finish your business. It is good though that it was not with a price drop.

On the other hand, there could a juicy rights issue in the offing and insiders will mop up the shares. No red signal. Just my  opinion.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 10:26pm On Feb 18, 2008
pumping777:

Unusual high volume can point to TS being near so be on the look out. I hope not sha till you don finish your business. It is good though that it was not with a price drop.

On the other hand, there could a juicy rights issue in the offing and insiders will mop up the shares. No red signal. Just my opinion.

Dem no dey tell person that one twice - but for this one, even if they catch me inside TS, i no go vex too much. Any short-term stock i buy, must pass long term test as well,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Billions(f): 11:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
A friend sent me this story, enjoy!
Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Rs10.

The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at Rs10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at Rs20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to Rs25 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at Rs50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at Rs35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell it to him for Rs50."

The villagers squeezed up with all their savings and bought all the monkeys.

Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!!!

Welcome to the "Stock" Market!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obalende: 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2008
guys, sorry if this is elementary; what is the duration of technical suspension; for cornerstone that is on TS, can a trader not buy now if for instance TS will expire in 10 days for instance
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 1:26am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Obalende

Technical suspension is usually of unspecified duration.

If for the purposes of going to the market for public offer it is usually lifted sometime after the offer closes.

If for any other reason it is lifted when the reason for it no longer exists.

Trading in the shares can continue at the price at suspension unless it is a FULL suspension in which case trading in the shares is banned completely until lifted.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 1:27am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Obalende

Technical suspension is usually of unspecified duration.

If for the purposes of going to the market for public offer it is usually lifted sometime after the offer closes.

If for any other reason it is lifted when the reason for it no longer exists.

Trading in the shares can continue at the price at suspension unless it is a FULL suspension in which case trading in the shares is banned completely until lifted.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omoboy3(m): 4:04am On Feb 19, 2008
windywendy:

Chei, my broker sold all my capoil today. First I was like  shocked shocked who's doing the buying?? Later I was like  grin grin. Narrow escape with 19% in less than 2 wks.

Lesson #21: never do CICO unless your broker is superman  cheesy

This is the quote of the day for me which corroborates what others have said regarding the almighty borker being the last and weakest link in this CICO business. They can make or break all your assumptions in technical analysis,

@ WindyWendy: we wey no get Superman broker, wetin we for do now You fit connect us with your personal broker for FSDH?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Napolean: 4:36am On Feb 19, 2008
[s][/s]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Napolean: 5:00am On Feb 19, 2008
[s][/s]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Napolean: 5:25am On Feb 19, 2008
[s][/s]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Napolean: 5:43am On Feb 19, 2008
[s][/s]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by joshua234: 7:52am On Feb 19, 2008
Hello Guys, i am new to stock trading. i want advise on which stock to first purchase. and what to look out for in buying and selling. i want to trade myself.

Also, i want you to have a look at these clothes. just click on the link below. they are made in Nigeria. i just made an order. it's amazing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/zooto.outfits/ZootoOutfits_Web
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:32am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Napoleon
Very interesting and informative posts. Pls do upload the data on Starcomms and Multilinks soon. In the alternative you can mail it to pumping to do the upload.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:33am On Feb 19, 2008
frankiriri:

@ Napoleon
Very interesting and informative posts. Please do upload the data on Starcomms and Multilinks soon. In the alternative you can mail it to pumping to do the upload.

Good idea
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:48am On Feb 19, 2008
RoughCut:

All the insurance that have just listed are very good candidates for IPO but they will nôt just go on TS like that. At least they need to jerk up the price a bit abi? and that's where the CICO/RO-RO opportunity comes in!

I thought insurance companies are required to separate their life and non-life businesses which is why there are different capitalization requirements for each insurance type

For those that want to engage in  non-life insurance business the cap is N1B and for the non-life is N2B  or the other way round.

I know for a fact that insurance companies are now required to spin off their businesses into life and non-life for those who want to engage in life and non-life insurance and for re-insurance business it is a different kettle of fish altogetheri hope i'm not talking gibberish sha

Not sure that the requirement to separate LIFE and NON LIFE was carried through. At list the list of firms released by NAICOM did not show that.

Recently listed companies are almost impossible to get so don't bother!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SENATORJD(m): 8:53am On Feb 19, 2008
for folks who want to monitor their shares and stocks worth. visiit www.investorsdelight.com
its a wonderful site, its free shocked and u get up to date information on the movement(upward wink or downward angry) of your shares worth, whether ure making a loss embarassed or gain grin.

@joshua, its easy, just get a broker to give advice or better still get dailies, go to the section of Stock exchange and you can easily follow trends or go to the site i listed and u can check how all stocks listed in the nigerian stock exchange has performed in the last 1 month of even 10 years.
a tip for this year d insurance sector has been the most viable,so u can take advantage of that
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Hopeozah(m): 8:57am On Feb 19, 2008
Hello House,

I instructed my stockbroker to get me some units of LASACO and AIICO sometime in January. On asking yesterday, i was told that theses stocks have not been and are still not available. I somehow do not believe this, but if truly it is, what other stocks do u think are good buys within this week.

(1) (2) (3) ... (500) (501) (502) (503) (504) (505) (506) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.