Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (813962 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 2:50pm On Dec 06, 2006
i bought dangote 1000 units today. Good for me oooo

I am looking into oceanic vinateg fund as well,

I think i can only afford their minimum investment which is N50,000.

That is a whole lot, isnt it?,

does anyone know if there is a Dunlop IPO recently. I was told they av listed share on the NSE.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 3:16pm On Dec 06, 2006
how did you buy the share @ gbenga
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 5:56pm On Dec 06, 2006
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 6:15pm On Dec 07, 2006
Thanks Gbenga

good thinking wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2006
"loverbowy, which isle are ou?, is it the channel island?., isle of wight e.t.c

did you manage to buy the shares yet?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2006
im on the main isle wink

I dont have sisters n brothers cheesy hmm i might just send my granma cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 7:39am On Dec 11, 2006
am sure there is someone you can trust. you can get them to do it for you before it closes.

I am planning on visiting the channel islands in february nxt year, lol
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheavroi(m): 9:10am On Dec 11, 2006
Its worth learning that people are interested in the stock market and wants tip but i would be doing injustice if i dont mention TRADEALERT.Im sure lot of people have heard about it but maynot understand how it works.if u want to learn more then just send mail to enquiries@nse-cscstradealert.com and i will endevour to enligthen you more.Mind you im not a broker neither do we advice in transaction of shares but if with tradealert you can take control of your investment
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 11:45am On Dec 11, 2006
im in london actually @ gbenga

cheavroi
plenty space dey this forum so please explain tradealert on here! sounds interesting
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 12:47am On Dec 13, 2006
gbengaijot:

am sure there is someone you can trust. you can get them to do it for you before it closes.

I'm getting some before Friday hopefully, what do you get after you buy the shares, do you get a certificate or some sort of receipt?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 9:54am On Dec 13, 2006
The person that buys your share with you will be given a reciept. I always tell my sister to scan it and send it to me, to be sure she did the right thing.WHen you fill the application form, they ask you for correspondent addy, thats where they send your share certificates.
it takes a while tho for it to come thru

Did u hear abt the oceanic funds?, the minimum is 50K, am still looking for money to do that, coz i am a bit broke, lol

Did anyone heard about the Dunlop shares?, ay idea of the issuing banks?, and when it closes?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tayoakin(m): 11:05am On Dec 13, 2006
Hi,
Can anyone in the house explain this Oceanic fund to me. What is the minimum investment and what percentage of interst are they paying? Also if I Can I have a contact no to their office.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cuppcakke(f): 4:01pm On Dec 13, 2006
Its good to know Nigerians are beginning to wake up and smell the roses as regards opportunities in the Nigerian Stock Market, i happen to work with a Stockbroking firm and it breaks my heart to see a lot of foreigners come into our country to make bounty returns while we rot away in ignorance.I am willing to tell anybody all they need to know about investing in the stock market if they are interested.Let me give you a hypothetical example; I bought Benue cement stocks at N6.50k around march this year and the Stock is currently trading at N34.51k, u beat dat!!!.The gospel truth is that no other market instrument can give you such returns.I must also add that playing in the Stock market requires a certain level of risk,because you can loose money,i have lost money in some cases but as long as my gains are a lot more than my loses,i am cool.i can go on and on about the bounty opportunities but its all dependent on your risk level and ofcos your investment objective.No matter the kind of person you are,theres always a stock that can meet your needs, if u can get the rite professional advisers.
You can reach me on ope@greenwich-trust.com,will be glad to give you more info,who knows you could be the next Warren Bufett.wink wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cuppcakke(f): 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2006
bayo akin,

Oceanic Vintage Fund is a form of Mutual funds,mutual funds are funds fund managers pull together from pple with the same investment objectives, who do not have the time nor sufficient money to invest in the several Blue chip companies,these fund managers pool ur funds together and invest on your behalf (using their own discretion) after which dividend would be paid to you (usually at the end of every Year, depending on how well the fund was able to be managed).You can buy vintage fund with a minimum of N50,000 at N1 per share.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by funloving(m): 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2006
konti:

my dear cup cake. thank God i read your post. am a 23 yr old and just started investing in shares. though i don't have a good job yet,i invest the little cash i lay hands on.i would like to invest in the ongoing initial public offers of both dangote and dunlop plc. i ntend to buy 2300 units of dangote and 10,000 units of dunlop. which one do u advice me to buy more than the other. dangote(More) or Dunlop More) need your advice. ould be sending u emails foe advice am really a novice when it comes to shares. also i have a brother i want to buy for. which sinature do u advice me to use since he is not in the country of present.
thanks.

There are things to look out for before investing in a company. Please read up my contirbution to this topic. There I have highlighted the factors that make a company worth investing in.

Having said this, I will still suggest that you buy more of Dangote Sugar IPO. I don't have much faith in tyre and plastic manufacturers in Nigeria and Dunlop comes under this sector.
The manufacturing sector in Nigeria is still pretty fabble and although Dangote Sugar Refinery is somewhat into manufacturing, Sugar Refining, it is into a business that is profitable.
Sugar will always be consumed, it is for now the only company of its kind in Nigeria, it is one of the world largest sugar refining companies and the Chairman, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, is an astute businessman. Since Dangote still owns a large majority of the shares in the company, he will watch keenly over it and not allow the business to flop.

All the same, you still need to be watchful. Considering what recently happened to Bunmi Oni of Cadbury and Cadbury Nigeria (overstating the company's balance to cover loses and shore up share price) and remembering what happened to Enron, Worldcom and BCCI, you can not just buy shares and go to sleep. Always watch over your stock and bail out as soon as you hear a hint of shady business deals.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by funloving(m): 8:49pm On Dec 13, 2006
There are a number of things to look out for before investing in the shares of a company. The following are some of the things:

STEPS FOR COMPANY ANALYSIS

1. Does this company have a product or service that no other company in the country has?

2. Can I explain what this company does clearly to a 10yr old?

3. From the current earnings of the company, how long would it take for it to pay of its debt (liabilities)?
                The maximum period should be less than 3yrs

4. Do the earnings over the last 5-10yrs show a steady, strong upward trend?
                If no for at least the last five years, it doesn’t qualify.

5. Is the company an expert at what it does? Does it dabble in other areas where it has no expertise?
                If they dabble, it’s a bad sign. Dabbling involves operating subsidiaries whose business is far removed from         that of the main company.

6. Does the company operate a share buy back policy?
               Yes is good, no is not so good.

7. Has retained earnings been put to proper use (reflected in EPS increase)?
               A consistent increase in EPS for at least the last 5 yrs is necessary. EPS = total earnings/total shares. This  can usually be read from the financial pages. BEST SHARES SELECTION GUIDE by F.A Akindipe has summarized the 5yr EPS trend for all the companies on the exchange.

8. What is the company average return on equity?
                This should be at least higher that the current inflation rate.

9. Is the company return on total capital consistently high?
                (ROTC=Earnings/capitalization)

10. Can the company easily adjust its product/service price to compensate for inflation?

11. Is a large amount of money needed regularly for research, or equipment update?
                Companies that need to spend lots of money in R&grin cut down on profits. Simple companies are the best bet.

12. How does the rate of return compare to govt interest rate on bonds?
               The highest govt rate on bonds is less than inflation rate. It’s about 14%. 

13. Using current average rate of return, make a projection on how much growth can me expected.
                Use the formula FV= PV ( 1+ i )n FV= Future Value, PV= Present Value, i=interest rate n=period

2 Likes

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TeeHay(m): 9:19pm On Dec 13, 2006
@ Funloving. Great Post!!

However, I really wonder why majority of the posts has been on Primary Market IPO/POs when there's so much money to be made in the secondary market i.e on NSE Floor.
Recall that with IPO/POs, one falls into the attendant risk of Certificate Manipulation (pending e-cert), Verification issues, bank confirmations etc!!!!

My Opinion: The likes of Diamond, GTB & Zenith on the floor are great buys now for a 6-8month horizon for conservative 30% profit!!, Who agrees/disagrees
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by funloving(m): 9:42pm On Dec 13, 2006
TeeHay:

@ Funloving. Great Post!!

However, I really wonder why majority of the posts has been on Primary Market IPO/POs when there's so much money to be made in the secondary market i.e on NSE Floor.
Recall that with IPO/POs, one falls into the attendant risk of Certificate Manipulation (pending e-cert), Verification issues, bank confirmations etc!!!!

My Opinion: The likes of Diamond, GTB & Zenith on the floor are great buys now for a 6-8month horizon for conservative 30% profit!!, Who agrees/disagrees

You need to understand the market to  play in the secondary sector but I agree with you. That is where the real money is to be made, especially if you are smart enough to trade in the stocks.

For the inexperienced I think it is good to pick high quality IPO's from the primary market but as one gets more competent and confident then move into the secondary. People can also buy  quality shares from the secondary market, such as the ones you highlighted.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 2:53am On Dec 14, 2006
Anyone know the reason why it takes several days/weeks for nigerian stockbrokers to buy or sell shares from the day you instruct them to do so?

Gbenga, to be honest im not too confident with the dunlop shares.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 7:40am On Dec 14, 2006
LOL, loverbwoy, you might be right. But you know one thing with me?, since i am not in Nigeria, i tend not to buy secondary shares. I prefer IPO's coz they are cheap. Moreover, i dont buy more than 1000 units shares in any company.

I only invest monedy i can afford to lose,

Maybe we can chat sometimes, if thats ok with you, seem like we have something in common( shares buying)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cuppcakke(f): 11:59am On Dec 14, 2006
Hey LoverBwoy,

I don't think you should generalize your statement i.e"it takes Nigerian stockbrokers days/weeks to execute your orders". I personally know that it is not true,your orders takes 24hrs to be executed(i know this because i work in a Stockbroking Firm).There are some reasons why your trades are not executed on time;
1. Your cheque hasnt cleared and the firm is not ready to stick its neck out for u.
2. The Stock is on bid (i.e. theres so much demand and no supply).
3. The stock is on full suspension.
4.The stock is on offer i.e no demand (In the case of when u want to see).
5 A CSCS number has not been generated for you.
Aside the following reasons,i don't see why your trades cannot be executed in a day or maximu two days.

enjoy!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cuppcakke(f): 12:19pm On Dec 14, 2006
hey cheavroi,

To be very honest, i dont think Trade alert is 100% functional in Nigeria.I respect the idea and its actually a brilliant one if its fully deployed but whats the essence of Trade alert if you are not notified immediately.From personal experience, i know it take a minimum of 3 days before u get a text on your fone that your orders has been executed and at what price.By then its not useful for me cos i have already received my contract note from my broker the following day, or even received a text that same day.The only advantage i think trade alert has at the moment is that it acts as a check to fradulent brokers who overstate the prices at which shares were bought,aside that i dont think the present trade alert is very useful.and if i have a stockbroker i trust,then trade alert is not of any use to me.
Anyways thats my personal opinion of trade alert until it can be 100% functional like what we have in the s&p or nasdaq markets.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cuppcakke(f): 1:35pm On Dec 14, 2006
Re: funloving,

I agree with your steps for company analysis, but i must also say that all u have talked about is the fundamental aspect of analyzing a company.The truth is all stocks will do well in the long run as long as the fundamentals (what you have listed) are right,but how do you take advantage in the short run?Thats where the technical analysis comes in and ofcos u have to understand the perculiarity of the nigerian stock market.U must agree with me that a little rumour can make a stock price soar in a span of one week, look at the case of ibtc when there was a rumour of their merger with stanbic the price went from about 5 naira to over 7 naira in a week.Also take the case of Ecobank's merger with First bank, the price of ecobank went from N5 to over N9 even after the one for one bonus declared and pple have made millions out of that.Also, take the case of Cement company of northern Nigeria CCNN,the company has been making a loss for sometime now but because of the demand pressure in the industry as a result of the ban on importation of cement and the share price increase of its peers in the industry,it rubbed off on the stock too despite its poor fundamentals.The stock went from N4 to N21.57 in months!!!The question now is, does ecobank or CNN have all the qualities you listed? the answer is no! and did pple make money or not in a span of weeks/months? the answer is yes!As much as the short run is very risky,those with a high level of risk has cashed out a lot richer than before and ofcos some have got their fingers burnt.
Back to the question of Dunlop and Dangote,how can u ascertain that the statistics given in dangotes prospectus is true?I personally belive it was doctored to an extent and there was no way they could have that high operating margin.Another issue is that dangote sugar is a new issue, so u dont have past records to work with i.e dividend payout, bonus payout and all.Whats the essence of making so much profit and you give your shareholders stipens(take the case of Zenith bank).Not withstanding, Dangote Sugar has lots of potentials but pple shouldnt not overlook the risk involved,the Nigerian Stock market is driven by bonus and not dividend,so if all DSR pays is dividend u cant expect an exponential price increase.DSR is also a kind of monopoly for now so they have an edge becos pple will always consume sugar(meaning there will always be demand).Dunlop on the other hand have had financial issues in the past due to mis management but there has been a major restructuring with that company and if you look at the past trends,u can deduce that dunlop will bounce back on their feet if resources are properly utilized.
In conclusion, both Dunlop and Dangote are good BUYS.But you will get the return on your investments faster in Dangote than in Dunlop.meaning Dunlop is a long term investment while DSR is a short-medium term investment.

I must also add that the greatest investors in the world,didnt invest in companies when the "going was good"(right fundamentals),they saw an opportunity in the Company before most pple did and they seized it!!!
Invest wisely but be cautious!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2006
@ cuppcake
Which stock broking house do you work for. WHat's the minimum account required for opening an account with them.
I need to change brokers.

Also I need to know if I can specify a broker I dont currently have an account with on the IPO forms.
I am starting an investment club
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 14, 2006
@gbengaijot

when did you go back to london, didnt you come back to Naija a couple of months ago

P.S i still applied for the visa and i was refused.

@topic

please more tips

what the least amount one can bring to the secondary market to buy shares cos i'm reading here amounts upto 250,000. Does that mean one can only trade if you have that much money
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2006
yeah, i came to nigeria, but i left ages ago,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 11:59pm On Dec 14, 2006
Cuppcakke
I shouldnt really generalize

1. Your cheque hasnt cleared and the firm is not ready to stick its neck out for u.
I'm actually talking about when it's time to sell- when the share price are high, not buying shares on credit

Aside the following reasons,i don't see why your trades cannot be executed in a day or  maximus two days.
same here, i think they are usually overstrecthed

One more thing, why does it take ages to get a certificate?

Gbenga whats your msn?
I made mistake last december with the IBTC and discovery fund, I thought the whole point of having the whole thing on the website was so people could do it from anywhere in the world but they kept telling me to come to their office for more info. they want me to come to lagos hmm how helpful  angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbengaijot(m): 7:47am On Dec 15, 2006
@loverbwyoy, i dont really use msn, my yahoo chat is gbengaijotan.

u mean, you had a bad experience with armdisc?, i guess you can set up a direct debit form with them. as a matter of fact, i had someone there who helps me out with funds and stuffs that i don't have to travel to lagos.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Akolawole(m): 12:03pm On Dec 16, 2006
@Abroad-based people.

I am speaking on behalf of President Obasanjo grin

Come and invest the money in Naija. We are on our knees.

Anybody need the forms (Dunlop and Dagote), shoot me a mail.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LoverBwoy(m): 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2006
Come and invest the money in Naija.

GSM and internet is enough for now  cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rojen: 5:36pm On Dec 18, 2006
Hey Guys, the stock on board now is the oceanic vintage fund.its a unit trust fund whereby investors pull their fund together to invest in viable stocks in market. its selling at 1.00 per unit, but the minimum you will invest is 50000units, dats 50000 naira.

Guys you cant afford to miss this,offer closes on wednesday being the 20th of december 2006.

Note: its selling at 1.00 per unit and it cannot fall below dat 1.00.so you have an advantage of buying now its still on IPO,cos when the offer closes i bet you will never get it at 1.00 again.

pls guide your future and your childrens future now, go to any oceanic bank branch to get a form.

or call me with this line 08036007632.

THINK BANKING, , THINK OCEANIC

BANK OF THE YEAR 2006
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by my2cents(m): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2006
Another tip is to avoid the "pump-and-dump" scheme. This is where someone/a group of pple "pump" up the value of a stock by talking about how great it is. Then once the price goes up to a level they deem high enough, they "dump" the stock by selling it off for big time gains. By the time an unsuspecting investor catches wind, the stock would hv plunged below wat they paid for it and this is normally followed by the "e pa mi o!" type lamentations.

In general, buy and keep stock for the long-run. Don't try to be like the Joneses and expect massive returns overnight.

Just thought I should add this to the mix cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.