Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,105 members, 7,867,178 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:52 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (523) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820899 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:34pm On Feb 21, 2008
sorry, on the tuesday figures i got that wrong, it was on TS na dsold 132m units. it went on TS on monday but on friday when it wa s open for trading it sold only 16m units.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jandbaby: 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2008
RoughCut:

I'm sorry matey but that is a load tosh if you don't my saying so shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

My sentiments exactly. Why didn't they place bigtreat, capoil and the rest of the february 6 stocks on TS as was the case with springbank and wema bank? Investigations are presumable ongoing and the prices of those stocks have been allowed to go into freefall or is this a case of guilty until proved innocent?

While they are at it they should investigate the cowboy who has been driving up the price of dangote flour 5% daily with 1 trade and 15125 units each time. (They were quite ingenious today - 6lucky people bought 21000 units of dangote flour today.)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2008
samstone4:

@AKT

Stocks can be placed on suspension whenever there is uncertainty with a company. This is done all over the world e.g. when merger announcements are imminent.

As far as the crossdeals in Transcorp shares, this is what my brokers told me when 132 million shares were traded in a single day and I have no cause to disbelieve them.

Samstone4 cool cool cool

It is not done anywhere else that  the DG of a stock exchange is also a member of the board of directors of a publicly  quoted  company on that exchange.

If NSE were to be a publicly quoted company like LSE in UK and we have a situation like the Transcorp situation NSE will be answerable to SEC  just as the  LSE is answerable to the FSA and the Exchequer. But its the other way round in our dictionary.

There's something called CONFLICT OF INTERESTS    and this just flies in the face of the  basics of CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND ETHICS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ aktopgun

Are you watching Unity  bank? Thanks for saving my ass the 5% today.  Guess I'll wait till Monday before I make another attempt, but it wont pass me by
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:42pm On Feb 21, 2008
crazyT:

@ aktopgun

Are you watching Unity  bank? Thanks for saving my ass the 5% today.  Guess I'll wait till Monday before I make another attempt, but it wont pass me by

U're welcome mate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:44pm On Feb 21, 2008
TRW don start again. They have it that Afribank opened at N26.95 and then them come talk say the high for the day is N26.5

i will just wait for nigerian securities jare
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:49pm On Feb 21, 2008
FOF2

u dey see eternaoil?

debenzd

NBC dropped abi? wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 2:51pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ All

Have you all noticed that the FIRSTALUM gain the full 5% today? Because of the doubts about TRW I have confirmed with 3 other sites and they all say the same thing about FIRSTALUM

Its the first one among the February 6 stocks under investigation to turn the tide around.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jandbaby: 2:53pm On Feb 21, 2008
@aktopgun

TRW is right (after a manner of speaking wink. Afribank opened at 26.50 but yesterday's close was 26.95. I think they report previous close as as open.

See attached for NSE figures.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2008
@pumping

i guess afribank wasnt strong enough to break resistance afterall. looks like it broke support though. undecided
i'm sure its time will come. lets wait for nigeriansecurities.com to upload for today, make we look the candle pattern and volume. I'm sure u are in for the long haul on this one abi?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 2:56pm On Feb 21, 2008
crazyT:

@ All

Have you all noticed that the FIRSTALUM gain the full 5% today? Because of the doubts about TRW I have confirmed with 3 other sites and they all say the same thing about FIRSTALUM

Its the first one among the February 6 stocks under investigation to turn the tide around.  

goes to show that there's no good news like bad news. i bet if it were in a more developed market, investors would be so scared of putting in more new money into a company being investigated (is an investigation really happening sef?).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2008
whao! at last i catch up with the tread after reading like
50pages as punishment for missing out for like 2weeks

@AKT, pumping and olufumi
is nice to know dat u guys are one united o.
dont mind asenal guys o! u no so dem dey make mouth no be small,
if na mouth de take play ball dem 4 give AC 100-0 yesterday
MAN U 4 LIFE!!!!

ON transcorps
the FG position now is welcome development, and i dont think transcop will go
to court, from the look of things it look as if they are even looking for a pastor to
deliver  them from the bondage of NITEL that there set of unreliable, incompetent and selfish managent team
cannot manage, b4 FG came to there rescue.
BUT MY ADVICE 4 EVERY LANDERS IS REMEMBER ONE OF FATHER OF2 STRATEGY AND KEEP
YOUR EYES ON IT SO THAT YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE THAT ALWAYS COME AFTER BAD NEWS

@ father of2 pumping, AKT, yodi and all guru
which at of the following will you buy 2moro
ikeja hotel
ABC
nem
japaul
for short term CICO, RIRO
all comment are welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 3:02pm On Feb 21, 2008
pumping777:

I subscribed through my broker. He got the cheque.

@All,

I bought mine at a branch of Access bank but put my Brokers name & CSCS number. Is it possible that the returned money will be sent to my broker?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdbull: 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2008
It is well established and has been indicated by the gurus and gugurus that the fundamentals are very important in deciding what stocks to buy or sell. This said, let us consider AP - The fundamentals are all wrong, and speculating in this stock is akin to commiting suicide; this notwithstanding, if the PO is meant to give leverage to people who want to own controlling shares in the Company, I will not be surprised if the bidding war gains more momentum and culminates in even higher prices for the shares of the Company.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:10pm On Feb 21, 2008
adeyinkat:

@All,

I bought mine at a branch of Access bank but put my Brokers name & CSCS number. Is it possible that the returned money will be sent to my broker?

It can be sent to Access bank or to your address that you filled on the form.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 3:13pm On Feb 21, 2008
@AKT, Roughcut & Jandbaby

I am not holding brief for Transcorp or Ndidi.

You may be aware of "Vote for Samstone4 as Chairman of Transcorp".

I too have been seriously affected by the shenanigans at and against Transcorp but the truth is the truth.

Northern Rock Bank was recently placed on suspension in the UK due to a run on the shares occasioned by the subprime market exposure it has in the USA.

The truth is the truth - as we used to say at the Supreme court.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:14pm On Feb 21, 2008
tommy t:

@ father of2 pumping, AKT, yodi and all guru
which at of the following will you buy 2moro
ikeja hotel
ABC
nem
japaul
for short term CICO, RIRO
all comment are welcome

Ikeja Hotel will make my list. It is still sound fundamentally.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 3:24pm On Feb 21, 2008
pumping777:

Ikeja Hotel will make my list. It is still sound fundamentally.

God bless you my brother, more comment are welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Izon(f): 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2008
Please some help me out, Since monday that I paid in some dough into my broker account, they haven't been able to procure Juli or goldlink  and today I spoke to my contact (citiinvest) and she said, the broker might just be able to get me goldlink but at 3.56k as against the yesterday's closing price of 2.49. Please advice.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:29pm On Feb 21, 2008
grabdbull:

It is well established and has been indicated by the gurus and gugurus that the fundamentals are very important in deciding what stocks to buy or sell. This said, let us consider AP - The fundamentals are all wrong, and speculating in this stock is akin to commiting suicide; this notwithstanding, if the PO is meant to give leverage to people who want to own controlling shares in the Company, I will not be surprised if the bidding war gains more momentum and culminates in even higher prices for the shares of the Company.

While not justifying the price of AP, don't forget that AP was more like a turn around candidate. Huge potential but affected by a lot of problems outside its core business.

As per ownership control, that will not happen. The rights issue is more than the PO. That to me shows that the major shareholders are not going to relinguish their hold.

Yet to confirm, but I think the N100bn to be raised from the rights/PO will be used in the upstream industry. I think AP has an oil bloc that it may want to develop. Will be suprised if that money is pumped into marketing.

Aside, OandO will likely be doing an offer soon on top of the $200m loan they've just syndicated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by EKWA(m): 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2008
Am looking for spring bank shares to buy around 10million unit .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2008
Izon:

Please some help me out, Since monday that I paid in some dough into my broker account, they haven't been able to procure Juli or goldlink  and today I spoke to my contact (citiinvest) and she said, the broker might just be able to get me goldlink but at 3.56k as against the yesterday's closing price of 2.49. Please advice.

@Izon,
Is it by force to buy Goldlink? your broker is playing with you ooo? why would you buy a stock at over 50% premium and she will still take her commission.

I thought you said you read this thread from page 1? you should be a guru by now.

How much upside do you expect on Goldlink if you buy at 3.56? are there no other opportunities out there?

I don't know but I smell a rat - a big one for that matter!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:36pm On Feb 21, 2008
wanaj0:

Aside, OandO will likely be doing an offer soon on top of the $200m loan they've just syndicated.

It took 3+years for people to break even from the last Oando PO. Dunno why anyone would invest in the next one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:36pm On Feb 21, 2008
Izon:

Is it compulsory that you should buy those stocks?

Well the too stocks are not 'available' at least not at current prices. Your brokers offer is because he has someone willing to sell @ 3.56. If you are not interested decline the offer. If you are, take it up fast before the offer elapses.

BTW, someone has 1m units of SKYE bank to sell @20.00!!! That tells you the likely price of SKYE post TS lifting!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:38pm On Feb 21, 2008
samstone4:

@AKT, Roughcut & Jandbaby

I am not holding brief for Transcorp or Ndidi.

I too have been seriously affected by the shenanigans at and against Transcorp but the truth is the truth.

Northern Rock Bank was recently placed on suspension in the UK due to a run on the shares occasioned by the subprime market exposure it has in the USA.

The truth is the truth - as we used to say at the Supreme court.

If it is any comfort to you i have been caught up in the WEMA soap-opera but that does not mean the way things are being handled is necesssarily the way to go and that's the point.

By the way Northern  Rock was bailed out by £55B of tax-payers' money and the only way to ensure there is something to show for all the money the govt has spent on the bank is to temporarily nationalise it meaning the govt owns the bank at least £55B worth of it (doubt if the bank is worth that much though) and therefore the  shares cannot be traded for now until somebody comes up with a brain-wave on how to repay the £55B public debt

Its status is not that of a publicly quoted and traded company so there are no basis for comparison between the two scenarios i would say.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:42pm On Feb 21, 2008
easimoni:

It took 3+years for people to break even from the last Oando PO. Dunno why anyone would invest in the next one.

Guilty as charged but with explanations. Just after the offer, there was a policy reversal as per deregulation. That basically impacted on the business of OandO. Based on that, they started re strategising focussing on Gas and the Upstream sector of the oil and gas industry.

For the kind of opportunities in the upstream, huge capital is needed. A single deep water well will cost in the neighbourhood of $40m to $80m!!!!! So huge capital is needed contrary to the marketing that they do cash and carry making use of the 40days credit by NNPC.

If OandO gets the oil filed, it will improve the cash flow and they will immediately become a MUST BUY
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:48pm On Feb 21, 2008
@ All who bought Longman,

Hope you watched it hit a brick wall at N30.00 today (gravestone Doji a la AKTopcandle). May be worth divesting if this was a CICO for you - the next direction is likely to be some blood-letting. I'm not divesting because the FY 07 PE is ~ 18, one of the better stocks in my 'folio.
wanaj0:

Guilty as charged but with explanations. Just after the offer, there was a policy reversal as per deregulation. That basically impacted on the business of OandO. Based on that, they started re strategising focussing on Gas and the Upstream sector of the oil and gas industry.

For the kind of opportunities in the upstream, huge capital is needed. A single deep water well will cost in the neighbourhood of $40m to $80m!!!!! So huge capital is needed contrary to the marketing that they do cash and carry making use of the 40days credit by NNPC.

If OandO gets the oil filed, it will improve the cash flow and they will immediately become a MUST BUY

You are WELL informed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 3:53pm On Feb 21, 2008
A new PP coming out mid-March by Negris (http://www.negrisgroup.com/).

Handled by Meristem, and will be under the name of ENCON, one of Negris subsidiaries. Keep tuned
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2008
@Roughcut

Northern Rock was a publicly quoted company until the government decided to nationalise it a few days ago.
A friend of mine owned shares in the company.

As I said before, I am not holding brief for anybody just trying to tell everybody the true position.

I am willing to continue this discussion if it will serve any purpose or close the case - as the Chief Justice used to say.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 3:58pm On Feb 21, 2008
@Easimoni; don't tell me you are in the oil & gas business too!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:59pm On Feb 21, 2008
samstone4:

@Roughcut

Northern Rock was a publicly quoted company until the government decided to nationalise it a few days ago.
A friend of mine owned shares in the company.

Yep that is exactly what i said may be you need to go and re-read my post again!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2008
For the peeps itching to join the Afroil and eternal oil train -

They have depressed for 4-5 straight days now - this might be a good opprotunity for RIRO.

BUt lets wait for Aktopguns candle analysis on the 2.

Afribank no gree break resistance ooo!!!! People are not feeling the news peddling oo!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) (526) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.