Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,672 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (579) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (814186 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Miders(m): 7:43pm On Mar 01, 2008
@wanajo, aktopgun, pumping777, easimoni, windywendy, fo2, yodiyokun, ololufemi, Napoleon,
I need your highly respected comment, opinion or advice. Am about to be given a loan of N40million naira at 21% interest (all charges inclusive) for 1 year to purchase shares. I know its really not a good idea to borrow to trade but then i have this strong feeling that i will be able to make at least 50% in 1 year at the current trend in the NSE. Am thinking of buying only 10 stocks but because i need to make the right selections, i will need all the contributions i can get. All the gurus in the house please feel free to make suggestions, recommendations or even shine candles sef, i know the final decision lies with me. wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by elemu(m): 7:49pm On Mar 01, 2008
Miders:

@wanajo, aktopgun, pumping777, easimoni, windywendy, fo2, yodiyokun, ololufemi, Napoleon,
I need your highly respected comment, opinion or advice. Am about to be given a loan of N40million naira at 21% interest (all charges inclusive) for 1 year to purchase shares. I know its really not a good idea to borrow to trade but then i have this strong feeling that i will be able to make at least 50% in 1 year at the current trend in the NSE. Am thinking of buying only 10 stocks but because i need to make the right selections, i will need all the contributions i can get. All the gurus in the house please feel free to make suggestions, recommendations or even shine candles sef, i know the final decision lies with me. wink

Deja Vu again did you read WASKY-WAJA's threads here from your 500+ pages browse
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 8:01pm On Mar 01, 2008
@ Etin

I was at the wedding.
The number I have for you is obsolete.
Leave your current number with your uncle in Brixton and I will get from him.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Miders(m): 8:03pm On Mar 01, 2008
elemu:

Deja Vu again did you read WASKY-WAJA's threads here from your 500+ pages browse

I did but am considering the fact that am going to get the money in 2 weeks time and a lot of things have happened since WASKY-WAJA got the money so prices and attractive stocks choice might be different now as well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 8:06pm On Mar 01, 2008
Deleted. Duplicate!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by goldenson(m): 8:13pm On Mar 01, 2008
@ Miders

i can suggest buying only fundamelly sound stocks like

GTB
Diamond
Oando
Unic
Lasaco

caveat emptor
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:24pm On Mar 01, 2008
This week I was offered a loan by FBN for 19%. The colateral I will bring along is only 20% of the entire amount. But still am not comfortable with something in their term and conditions. They told me that as I will be bringing in only 20% of the money, the margin call will be made to me when the portfolio loses about 20% of its value.

It is established that a nice stock selection these days will hardly lose 20% easily, but who can tell tomorrow.

Lets break it down a bit, I bring like 20 mil and will be given another 80 mil to make it 100 mil, then I will be allowed to trade with the entire 100 mil so far as the value of the entire portfolio at any point does not depreciate to 80 mil. If that unfortunate scenario happens, I will be called to fill up the margin, meaning that I should scout around and bring up 20 mil to make it up. I will also be servicing the interest monthly.

It was nice talking with them. Other banks offer same service only that their terms is for 30%. This is for the information of the risky at heart, see how this info will assist you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Miders(m): 8:27pm On Mar 01, 2008
goldenson:

@ Miders

i can suggest buying only fundamelly sound stocks like

GTB - Considering result is round the corner and i wont get the money untill 2wks, would it not be too late to board the train?
Diamond - Any reason why this will give me 50% in 1 year?
Oando - the price looks scary now, has the train not left the station already?
Unic - Am not too sure about insurance coy and am afraid 1 year is too short to risk going in there
Lasaco - same reason as above

@goldenson
thanks for your response, see my reservations above.

caveat emptor
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 8:48pm On Mar 01, 2008
Napolean:

@[/b]WISKY WAJA[b] This is needs to be addressed now. I just woke up after last night at the Thisday awards, didn't get in until after 1. I tried not to ramble then and will try not to now. Danced too much to Lionel and I'm a bit achy but I will try my best.

If you have sent in a purchase order already for those on your list then pray. With that list, if you are lucky you may recover the initial outlay and possibly the interest attached to it. As you know I am not a short termer and do not believe in obtaining loans to buy securities. Anytime I make reference to middle term I mean nothing less than two years (18months if pushed)(3-5 years ideally). Anything less that that I consider short term speculation and anything that goes into days or weeks I call a gamble unless I have specific info with a reliability rating of at least 85%.

Going forward, I wonder how much upside you expect on AGLeventis, Union Homes, Firstbank and NEM(eventual TS?) at those entry prices. I don't need a candle stick to tell you, your having a laugh.

I don't know the duration of the loan. I hope it is a least 12 months with an option to roll on if the worst comes to the worst. Otherwise the broker/bank will be happy to chop good stocks(your collateral) that were probably bought a good prices. Going by the list you presented, I want to believe your service with your broker is execution only and not advisory!

Wanaj0,Pumping,Roughcut,Windy,Frank,Atopgun: make una put mouth please o!

Wisky even though I am not a short termer; I am constrained by what I could possibly suggest because I have to take into consideration liquidity of stock,technical suspension,reconstruction and info on the stock. There are some other good ones but I won't include them in the list because of these possible factors. Also even though the money is available you need not enter tomorrow as I think the market is over priced right now.

Off the top of my head I would say consider: OandO <N150(expecting results and you can bail out before markdown), ABC <N3.50, C&I <N7.00, Dangote Sugar N40 (Expecting results within 5 weeks & you can get out before div markdown), Dangote flour <N25 (you will have to wait for this one), Skye (go ahead), Cadbury <N45, Glaxo <N20, May and Baker <N12(speculative), Oceanic <N27 (hold), PHB <N28 (it is a relevant bank) the best bank IPO for 2007 for ancillary reasons and it was very cheap, Union dicon <N10 (CICO), Vitafoam <N9 (CICO)

UNIC <N5.20 : I like this company. Wanaj0 any plans for TS?

I wouldn't really pay more than the entry prices above. With borrowed money you have to hedge and be a little conservative in what you pick. I have not listed anything that is likely to return 100% in 6-12 months (possibly ABC) but 50-75% if entered well is tenable. Hope this helps a little.

Dbenzd Where are you? that will depend on some of my answers to you. Because of you I will open a separate thread now.

ELDER NAPOLEON.

I DONT KNOW HOW YOU DO IT (OR DID IT)

BUT MOST OF THE STOCKS YOU MENTIONED HERE HAVE DONE MORE THAN 40% ALREADY.

Was it that you knew there was going to be an upside to these stocks, or is it just that you are NAPOLEON.

Abeg if you get stock tips for this week Caveat emptor accepted I would appreciate it if you share it with us. Thank you
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 8:51pm On Mar 01, 2008
*deleted*
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 9:05pm On Mar 01, 2008
deleted
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 9:07pm On Mar 01, 2008
invisible!:

This week I was offered a loan by FBN for 19%. The colateral I will bring along is only 20% of the entire amount. But still am not comfortable with something in their term and conditions. They told me that as I will be bringing in only 20% of the money, the margin call will be made to me when the portfolio loses about 20% of its value.

It is established that a nice stock selection these days will hardly lose 20% easily, but who can tell tomorrow.

Lets break it down a bit, I bring like 20 mil and will be given another 80 mil to make it 100 mil, then I will be allowed to trade with the entire 100 mil so far as the value of the entire portfolio at any point does not depreciate to 80 mil. If that unfortunate scenario happens, I will be called to fill up the margin, meaning that I should scout around and bring up 20 mil to make it up. I will also be servicing the interest monthly.

It was nice talking with them. Other banks offer same service only that their terms is for 30%. This is for the information of the risky at heart, see how this info will assist you.
For me this is what I'd consider. Would there be restrictions on the type of stocks to buy? The fact that the interest would be serviced monthly is an undue pressure in addition to the 20% margin call. One could be in the greatest investment vehicle in the world but pulling the trigger at the wrong time might turn sugar to sh*t. My suggestion would be to invest heavily in fundamentally sound stocks hopefully when they are on sale. Illiquid stocks are out of the question. Also, might be a good strategy at first not to put the entire amount at play at any given time to cushion the 20% effect.

What's the minimum one could borrow?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 9:15pm On Mar 01, 2008
@K2, they said the minimum will be one mil. Also they have a restriction as to the type of stocks you could buy. But that is not a problem as there are very good selections I could see there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sequoia(m): 9:22pm On Mar 01, 2008
@nypurr,
pls whats the link to the candles book
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sweetaura1(f): 10:17pm On Mar 01, 2008
@ AKTOPGUN,

Abeg, I need e- Anti PO vaccine, as per distance between us. I need to get immune to ALL POs & IPOs asap.

I know the market is highly saturated now. I'll wait a while to re-invest my refund. Keep the candles burning.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 10:33pm On Mar 01, 2008
invisible!:

@Invisible,

I had got a similar offer from 1st Bank too. Only it is 20% all in and for 2years. Otherwise same conditions.

I think so far it is the best I have got. First Inland wants 25% all in and u pay monthly or quarterly, FCMB wants 23% all in and u pay interest or principal+interest monthly. Intercontinental is 22.5% and u pay interest or principal+interest monthly.

So are u taking it? I think I will stick with 1st bank. One has to just be careful with the stocks bought.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Udo01: 10:37pm On Mar 01, 2008
Miders:

Minders,
For that amount of money, stay with fundamentals; In the banking sector, consider;
UBA
Skye Bank
Oceanic
Zenith

You should target to go in before the next quarterly results are out by mid April. Cheers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Miders(m): 11:11pm On Mar 01, 2008
Udo01:

Minders,
For that amount of money, stay with fundamentals; In the banking sector, consider;
UBA
Skye Bank
Oceanic
Zenith

You should target to go in before the next quarterly results are out by mid April. Cheers.
Thanks Udo01, i actually intend to stick with fundamentals too. I agree with your choice of stocks but i hope going in around April would still be good enough to make reasonable returns from them?
BTW am thinking of Flourmills, FCMB, Dansugar, UAC, Presco, NB, Access and PZ as well. What do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nypurr(m): 11:12pm On Mar 01, 2008
tiwantiwa:

download candle stick gregg morris
http://www.esnips.com/doc/db9d4a9c-f1f7-469f-ac8e-2fc0217a7c00/Greg-Morris---Candlestick-Charting-Explained

@sequoia

As requested. Sorry, I walked away from my pc for quite some time
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 11:24pm On Mar 01, 2008
any one online,do u know if pumpimg has divurge some of the insurance coys he so much talked about,ur response will be greatly appreciated

Oga pumping,shake bodi for ur boys naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by abocana: 11:26pm On Mar 01, 2008
I beg make una reply my messenge now, i will appreaciate answer to my question.

What can u guys say about DAAR COMMUNICATION @5naira?is it a good buy.

Thanks very much.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 11:40pm On Mar 01, 2008
Picture man This kind name wacky o! Me I no dey buy Aba textile, I still dey young o. I just came across the news ,so I decided to ask as we hear of UNTL 's bones rising.

@Loma
No vex abeg although I do not know what you meant by wacky my take is that u didnt like it no vex oh,
However thanks for all the pics abi na cartoon, Please keep them coming its a good nairaland therapy,
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 11:56pm On Mar 01, 2008
abocana:

I beg make una reply my messenge now, i will appreaciate answer to my question.

What can u guys say about DAAR COMMUNICATION @5naira?is it a good buy.

Thanks very much.

I really dont know much about their fundamentals and they have no technical history to analyse, But considering the irresponsible sentimentality driving the market now , i can only say that you would be lucky to get full allotment.
It is always a good buy in a near madness Bullish market as we have now, But how long is your projection in the stock
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 12:34am On Mar 02, 2008
yeah guys lest i forget, i dont know if this is the right place o
for all those who are wishing to get a part of the IBTC Mutual Funds (either Ethical or Equity) and even the Guaranteed investment Fund (GIF) you can call Awenlimobor Sylvester on 08063461739, or visit the nearest IBTC bank closest to you
i recommend this ONLY to those who are risk averse and seek to extricate themselves from the irrationality of the current market
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 12:57am On Mar 02, 2008
enurayce:

any one online,do u know if pumpimg has divurge some of the insurance coys he so much talked about,your response will be greatly appreciated

Oga pumping,shake bodi for your boys naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah
No vex my brother. I've just tracked down your query.

This one is simple. There are some insurance stocks with good fundamentals and low relative nominal price on TS or TS bound.

Collecting some for post TS run is a good idea since they will be the first set to be TS-Proof and in the insurance sector.

Caveat Empty o.

That was his response
Hope that answers your question,
He was not specific.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 2:38am On Mar 02, 2008
@All
Please i need help with the mobile numbers of those that work in the certificate sections of the registrars below or anyone that can be of help.I will greatly appreciate any help as my certs lodged through valueline remains unverified since April last year

1.Union registrars
2.Diamond
3.Oceanic
4.Zenith
Waiting for your response

Pls help if u can
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by abocana: 4:17am On Mar 02, 2008
DAAR COMM.,OFFER:

@Bibiking1,I will be looking to dispose it in the next 12mths,if i've the cert.

What do u think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NoMoney: 4:28am On Mar 02, 2008
The First Bank Margin offers sounds interesting. Could I please get the contact detail of your contact there so I could get in contact with Him / Her.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:40am On Mar 02, 2008
Has anyone seen the Valueline pp prospectus?What does ur analysis of it says?will be glad if anyone is ready to proffer some ideas on it and why it should be consider worth trying.All response will be wellcomed.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 5:51am On Mar 02, 2008
Has anyone seen the Valueline pp prospectus?What does your analysis of it says?will be glad if anyone is ready to proffer some ideas on it and why it should be consider worth trying.All response will be wellcomed.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by milieu: 6:28am On Mar 02, 2008
I was using Partnership investment company as my Broker and moved on to FSDH.  I did a transfer of my portfolio to FSDH at that time. Surprisingly, my bonus shares for Okomu oil was recently paid to my previous CSCS acct with Partnership. I find this strange as no link with the initial stock anymore. Typical Nigerian gap.  What do I do to have this reconciled.  Does anyone have an email address to City Securities (Registrars) so I may relay my complaints??

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 7:25am On Mar 02, 2008
milieu:

I was using Partnership investment company as my Broker and moved on to FSDH.  I did a transfer of my portfolio to FSDH at that time. Surprisingly, my bonus shares for Okomu oil was recently paid to my previous CSCS acct with Partnership. I find this strange as no link with the initial stock anymore. Typical Nigerian gap.  What do I do to have this reconciled.  Does anyone have an email address to City Securities (Registrars) so I may relay my complaints??

Thanks

Aint got the email addy but this might help: City Securities (Registrars) Ltd, Primerose Tower, 17A, Tinubu Street, Marina Lagos P.O. Box: 9117 Tel: 02-2665944-53

(1) (2) (3) ... (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) (582) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.