Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,805 members, 7,866,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:55 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (775) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820776 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 4:56pm On Aug 08, 2009
Dangote is very qualified to be the president of the NSE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by candylips(m): 11:57pm On Aug 08, 2009
very crazy choice
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 1:15am On Aug 09, 2009
I like to see how he 'monopolizes' everything this time around
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by islet(f): 8:29pm On Aug 10, 2009
I just got a job with a stockbroking firm as a marketer and it is an unbelievable opportunity for me cos i come from a very poor home. It is an unbelievable opportunity to earn my keep legally with a high sense of self worth. But alas, im at crossroads cos i have actually not marketed before and i dont know how to convince people admist the economic recession that this is the right time to invest, neither do i have the links or know the rich class of people. Please if there is a marketer in stocks there ,this is an sos call. Please i need tips on convincing people on investing in stocks before i loose my job. Dont just read and ignore me. Im desperate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 9:37pm On Aug 10, 2009
islet:

I just got a job with a stockbroking firm as a marketer and it is an unbelievable opportunity for me cos i come from a very poor home. It is an unbelievable opportunity to earn my keep legally with a high sense of self worth. But alas, im at crossroads cos i have actually not marketed before and i dont know how to convince people admist the economic recession that this is the right time to invest, neither do i have the links or know the rich class of people. Please if there is a marketer in stocks there ,this is an sos call. Please i need tips on convincing people on investing in stocks before i loose my job. Dont just read and ignore me. Im desperate.

I'm not a professional "marketer", but I know a thing or two about the psychology of successful marketing.
# 1. Rule. You can't convince an eskimo to buy ice from you unless you too believe that the eskimo desperately needs the ice.
So, the most important point for marketing is to believe, believe, and believe in whatever you're selling. If you do, all other things would just be added as technique and methods.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jamace(m): 9:47pm On Aug 10, 2009
INTERNATIONAL ENERGY INSURANCE PLC
AUDITED FINANCIAL STATEMENT FOR THE YEAR
ENDED 31ST DECEMBER 2008 PERIOD 31ST DECEMBER 2008

PROFIT AND LOSS ACCOUNT INFORMATION
2008 2007

TURNOVER N1.642b N1.229b
DIMINUTION IN INVESTMENT FOR DOUBTFUL
DEBTS EXCHANGE LOSS N582.152m N49.885m
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N775.405m N910.408m
TAXATION (N302.688m)(N157.806m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N472.717m N752.602m
RETAINED EARNINGS N38.372m N109.248m
BALANCE SHEET INFORMATION
FIXED ASSETS N1.995b N1.886b
STOCK N10.412b N5.798b
TRADE DEBTORS N4.547b N4.315b
CASH AND BANK BALANCES N319.052m N218.141m
OTHER DEBIT BALANCES N322.500m N326.500m
SHORT TERM BORROWINGS N1.522b N52.223m
OTHER CREDIT BALANCES N6.195b N1.949b
WORKING CAPITAL N12.862b N9.371b
NET ASSETS N11.437b N10.885b
CORPORATE ACTIONS PROPOSED DIVIDEND 5 KOBO PROPOSED
BONUS ISSUE 1 FOR 6 AGM SEPTEMBER 1 2009 CLOSURE OF
REGISTER AUGUST 10 TO 14 2009 PAYMENT DATE SEPTEMBER
8 2009 AGM VENUE METROPOLITAN HOTEL MURTALA MOHAMMED
HIGHWAY CALABAR CROSS RIVERS STATE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by atilla(m): 9:12am On Aug 11, 2009
I also work for a stock broking firm. drop your email address so we can chat by email.

later
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by maray(f): 9:22am On Aug 11, 2009
@ atilla,are u on yim? its been a while,i wanna ask u something on nigerian stock,thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by atilla(m): 12:19pm On Aug 11, 2009
Hi Maray

Yeah i am email me nd ill send you my yahoo email from there, if I put it on nland my inbox would be full of spam and junk email.

Take cares.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by islet(f): 6:02pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ Naijaking1. thanks 4 d advice. so i got 2 be passionate about stockbroking before i can sucessfully market it. I have tried to get all i can by googling it but it hasnt helped much. I've also tried looking for anything on stocks in bookstores but they suddenly seem to be scarce. I wasnt really trainned by the firm just basics of stockbroking. I really wish i had someone i could ask seemingly sillly but important questions cos im naturally curious and very eager to learn. Pls if there is any e-book or anything that can help too i would appreciate it. My email ad is tyrantsalive@yahoo.com.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by islet(f): 6:05pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ Atilla. Thanks 4 d line. I would be glad if you could help too. tyrantsalive@yahoo.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 3:24am On Aug 12, 2009
@Islet
Another technics is to try selling the most common/cheapest stock to someone you're familier with, eg your brothers/sister, or even kids. After you succeed or fail, you can always go back and do a self analysis of your presentation. Good luck, you can do it. Just believe wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by segefola: 4:45am On Aug 12, 2009
@islat,

You need to know the basic of stock market investment. In addition you should be in a position to advise your prospect on choice of stock. Somebody like me always want information from my broker to convince me on why i should buy a particular stock and in general why i should invest in stocks.

So friend be prepared on all these. I wish you good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 9:41am On Aug 12, 2009
The Aiico result looks pretty good, i've got some units of those from their PO last yr or so, however i wish i had more right now. . . Anyone know whether the books have been closed for the year? Can i still buy more now and be considered for this 1 for 4 bonus?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by atilla(m): 9:41am On Aug 12, 2009
@ Maray, Hi still waiting for your mail.

@Islet, I mailed you yesterday, hope u got it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jamace(m): 10:10am On Aug 12, 2009
The Aiico result looks pretty good, i've got some units of those from their PO last yr or so, however i wish i had more right now. . . Anyone know whether the books have been closed for the year? Can i still buy more now and be considered for this 1 for 4 bonus?

Rather late.
Closure of register 10 - 14 Aug 2009.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by islet(f): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2009
@Naijaking, Atilla, Segefola, i know i shouldnt say i luv y'all but right now i really do! Thanks guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 7:30pm On Aug 13, 2009
jamace:

Is there any danger in Dangote becoming the helmsman of the NSE?

Read between the lines vis a vis the Nova securities scam,and a resounding YES answer will stare you in the face

otokx:

Dangote is very qualified to be the president of the NSE

If he had any atom of dignity in him,he should have disqualified himself for obvious reasons instead of buying his way to the position and make believe as if nothing happened  angry angry

candylips:

very crazy choice

Very crazy indeed.It's things like this that make me remember the irony that was the logo of the now moribund national carrier;Nigeria Airways
A country where elephants flew in broad daylight without anybody raising an eyebrow is capable of springing the darndest choices on earth  grin grin grin

naijaking1:

I like to see how he 'monopolizes' everything this time around

Your guess is as good as mine undecided undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 10:42am On Aug 15, 2009
THE NEWLY APPOINTED CEOs OF THE FIVE BANKS

The newly-appointed chief executives tasked with steering the five banks away from troubled waters are:

Suzanne Iroche, MD/CEO Finbank Plc

Suzanne Iroche started her career with First Bank Plc in 1981 and later moved to International Merchant Bank, in 1982.

She has a Masters degree in Management from The J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University Evanston, Illinois, USA.

In 1988 she joined Chartered Bank Ltd. as a manager to set up the Treasury Division and was later promoted to assistant general manager to head the Corporate Banking Department where she handled a diversified portfolio of companies.

In 1995, Suzanne joined the United Bank for Africa (UBA) where she managed the foreign exchange trading function and offshore investment portfolio for the bank. She rose through the ranks to become executive director on the bank's board in 2005.

In June 2006, Suzanne took on the responsibility as ED Global Bank with responsibility for supervision and expansion of the UBA's banking franchise outside Nigeria.

Olufunke Iyabo Osibodu, MD/CEO Union Bank Plc

With over 27 years of banking experience, she has been the managing director of two banks, MBC, and more recently Ecobank Nigeria Plc (2002-2006), before becoming a director in the parent holding company of Ecobank, Ecobank Transnational Incorporated, a position she left in August 2006.

Her career in banking began in 1981 when she joined NAL Merchant Bank. She moved to Continental Merchant Bank in 1984, heading the treasury department, and then held various positions including vice-president/general manager, Nigeria International Bank; managing director, MBC International Bank and managing director, Ecobank Plc.

She has been a director of ValuCard, Nigeria Interbank Settlement System, Consolidated Discount House Limited, First Securities Discount House Limited, MBC Securities Limited, and ESL Securities Limited.

Born in Lagos in 1959, Mrs. Osibodu attended Holy Child College and the the University of Ife in 1980, where she studied Economics. Funke is also an alumnus of the Harvard Business School where she obtained an MBA in Advanced Management. She has spent over 25 years in the banking industry, spending 16 years in treasury management, 15 years in senior management and 9 years as managing director/chief executive of Ecobank plc.

Until her present appointment, she was chair of Citi Investments Limited, a member of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

Nebolisa Arah, MD/CEO Afribank Plc

"Known to friends and colleagues as the perfect gentleman, Nebo brings a unique leadership style that simply inspires and motivates," say some close to him. Until his early retirement in 2003, Nebolisah Arah served as chief executive of Fidelity Bank PLC from the inception of the bank in 1988.

John Aboh, MD/CEO Oceanic Bank Plc

Born on the 18th of July 1956, Aboh holds a B.Sc. degree in Finance and an MBA in Finance & Accounts.
A seasoned banker, Aboh began his career in 1981 at First Bank of Nigeria Plc. He also worked as credit analyst, assistant general manager and as deputy general manager & chief inspector in Nigeria Merchant Bank Limited, Nigeria International Bank (Citibank) and United Bank for Africa Plc.

Notable special projects executed by Aboh include the reorganisation of the International Operations System at Nigeria International Bank (Citibank) and the implementation of the UBA MoneyGram money transfer service.

On the 24th of January, 2008, Mr. John Aboh, an executive director (Banking Operations & Services) of First Bank of Nigeria Plc was appointed acting managing Director/chief executive of Wema Bank Plc.
Mahmud L. Alabi, MD/CEO Intercontinental Bank Plc

As at December 31, 2004, he was an executive of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc
On the 8th of September 2008, Mr. Alabi was appointed the acting managing director of Wema Bank.

Alabi took over from Mr. John Aboh, following the sack of Mr. Bisi Omoyeni by the CBN, for allegedly flouting the agreements reached with the central bank and stakeholders of the bank in the crisis that rocked the bank a couple of months before.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 10:45am On Aug 15, 2009
I wonder why the CEO of Wema bank was not fired,or could it be because of the strings being pulled by Tunde Lemo at the CBN
Damn,there was and still is so much rot in our banking industry.My advise to you fellas is to steer clear of banking stocks till the overall picture of this cleansing and it's outcome becomes clearer by year end or even first quarter of 2010
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by atilla(m): 11:40am On Aug 17, 2009
Funny enough I dont think it was wema banks current MD that caused the problems. From what i can remember it was some other guy who has been removed from the bank since and the bank is actually getting better so removing him might not be the solution and the fact he is still there might be a good thing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 12:14am On Aug 18, 2009
atilla:

Funny enough I dont think it was wema banks current MD that caused the problems. From what i can remember it was some other guy who has been removed from the bank since and the bank is actually getting better so removing him might not be the solution and the fact he is still there might be a good thing.

true!

Hope Sanusi can pull some strings to get Madam removed its about time jare!!!

Rasputin

are you saying Dangote is guilty and Otedola is a saint?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jamace(m): 9:28am On Aug 18, 2009
NSE places five(5) banks on full suspension

The Nigerian Stock Exchange has hereby placed the shares of the following Banks on Full Suspension:

1.) Afribank Plc

2.) Intercontinental Bank Plc

3.) Oceanic Bank Plc

4.) First Inland Bank Plc

5.) Union Bank of Nigeria Plc

The decision to put these shares on suspension was taken this morning by the NSE in order to protect shareholders investment in the companies, following the removal of their MDs and EDs.

IMPLICATION

The implication of the Full Suspension is that, no form of trading can take place on the shares of the affected Banks until the suspension is lifted.

www.proshareng.com

Sanusi on the prowl. The changes continue.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

Rasputin

are you saying Dangote is guilty and Otedola is a saint?

shocked shocked shocked
Did Otedola contest that position with Dangote Truth be told,in more decent climes,Dangote ought to disqualify himself following the scandals that trailed him,but alas this is Nigeria where persons accused of murder can win elections from the confines of the jail cell and the reward for for fighting corruption is to be hounded into exile
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2009
what im saying is that dangote is being painted black like these business men are clean
some said he bought them-sec and co, are we saying otedola to couldnt buy these media houses
to do the dirty on Dangote? or perhaps Otedola cant do teh same to Dangsugar n co?

Anyway the little monies flying about will be going to the maniufacturing, insurance and construction sector soon
seems everyone is staying away from the banking sector
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Candid05: 11:05pm On Aug 31, 2009
Hi. It is interesting that the Nigerian Stock market is gradualling coming back to life. Can someone advice me if 'Options Trade in Stocks' that is common in European and American markets is also actively done in Nigeria. I have unique expertise in that aspect of the stocks business.

(1) (2) (3) ... (772) (773) (774) (775) (776) (777) (778) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.