Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,005 members, 7,866,812 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:57 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820879 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2007
Temmie

still awaiting your reply to my mail

Have a nice day
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2007
pls any hope on LASACO assurance?  l bought it sometime ago at N3.25 and its been going down ever since.  Is there still hope  And this is my first time of venturing into secondary market, l wish l never did.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 6:08pm On Sep 17, 2007
MyPeace:

please any hope on LASACO assurance?  l bought it sometime ago at N3.25 and its been going down ever since.  Is there still hope  And this is my first time of venturing into secondary market, l wish l never did. 

Do not panic! Lasaco should come good. This time is just an interesting time for the stock. There has huge selling on lasaco beginning in May, hence the seeming price indiscrepancies coupled with the correction in the insurance industry in the said months. However the results are very very encouraging. If you try to read the last 10 pages of this forum, there's a lot of gist on lasaco, thats why i was silent initially
Hold on till around April 08 onwards at least when fye results will be out, you will probably be smiling then. Do not let the market force you to sell (except you really neeed the money). lasaco is bullish in the long term. You have not lost just because the price is lower today than when you bought it. It takes only 5 days of continous bids (5% gains everyday) to record a 28% increase in any stock price in the NSE. A lot can and should happen in the days ahead.

@enurayce
i will reply you later today. stuck in the office now.

@easimoni
I am missing you here. the market is looking very interesting. Give those kids ice cream, put on the cartoon channel, come here lets make money.
Our insurance stocks are coming good grin.
mbenefits closed on bid at 3.69 today.
got some ideas to bounce of you too.
I hope i have successfully lured you back tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by trustboy: 7:19pm On Sep 17, 2007
Can somebody please enlighten me on how long it takes to open an account with a stockbroking firm in Nigeria. Last week Tuesday, i sent a scanned application form with my signature to GTI CAPITAL. As early as 8am on Wednesday my manager delivered a sum of N100,000.00 to them to open the account.As at close of business today the account was yet to be opened. Is this normal?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jacs(f): 11:08pm On Sep 17, 2007
'Sup pple Hope u r cool?  i'll appreciate ur opinion and advice on when quoted companies like zenith and intercontinental banks, WAPIC, may and baker, ikeja hotels declare bonus and dividend to shareholders for the year, how long does it take the companies to release the dividend to the shareholders?
  can someone be kind enough to inform all the companies mentioned above to release the dividend cheques to shareholders so as to reduce suffering and avoid SOS call due to delayed payment! thanx a lot.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Phydas: 5:14am On Sep 18, 2007
Hi,
I recently decided to get into the stock business- Both short and long term. I have got some 100,000 naira to put down on long term, and perhaps something little to put in the short term. Can anyone give me some useful information on which stock to look out for. If the short term is good,I could do more and go with the flow.

Help Pls!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by forexgiude: 5:36am On Sep 18, 2007
@ trustboy

no cause for alarm yet

theyll say 3 working days, but allow for 4-5 working days. after then you can BLOW UR HORN or ROCK D' BOAT or simply SHOUT!! cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by trustboy: 5:44am On Sep 18, 2007
Forexguide,
Thank you for the reassurance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:55am On Sep 18, 2007
bibiking1:

@ ALL
There was something i heard recently about a senate committee on the capital market proposing a law to stop banks from raising funds Public offers for the main time. What impact will this have on all those other banks hoping to enter the market now? Will this really help the secondary market? the money market is getting more attractive how sure are they that ivestors will jump back to the secondary market.

They are just ranting. Its a free world. I dont see anything coming out of that debate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 7:17am On Sep 18, 2007
@ALL
i actually think they are serious this time around. They are even attempting to skip due process and go straight to the NSE rather than the CBN.
but on a more thoughful note, dont you all think the market is getting choked up?
And this could lead to a crash
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2007
So what would the NSE do refuse banks the right to do a public offer. That would be detrimental to the growth of the market. SEC is empowered to ensure the orderly growth of the market.  In pursuit of this they approve all public offers and ensure that they occur in a timely fashion. Any company that meets the requirements can raise funds. The senators are just ranting. They should find better things to do and leave the regulation of the market to professionals.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 8:20am On Sep 18, 2007
The lawmakers are probably treating a reasonable concern the wrong way , the banks coming to the market should not be the problem , but the time it takes for investors to get the damn certificates is not right,the cbn verification system needs to be reviewed to make things move faster. I do think there is some mago mago about that certs delay, maybe this is what the lawmakers are concerned about .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 9:25am On Sep 18, 2007
@Temmie10

Thank you very much for responding to my question on LASACO shares. am very grateful.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:38am On Sep 18, 2007
Oga Frank, i'm with you on this one.
It is unlikely that anything will come out of the house of reps issues.
What i see is a lot of ignorance on the part of the house of reps.
CBN directives, the so-called fss and the govt's financial reform package is what has put banks in a position where they have to raise more funds to survive, not just the lure of a po.
Economic sense will prevail, It is simple enough: Bank A with 25 billion naira cannot compete with bank B with 500 billion naira, and the last thing nigeria needs is another banking sector mess after all those we have seen in years past
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 11:57am On Sep 18, 2007
This morning the NSE has denied getting such a report and even if they did they will probably have it follow the proper procedure. so at least those banks can breathe a sigh of relief

@ALL Esp TEMMIE
what is this i am hearing about brokerage firms capitalising to 2 billion with a deadline of december 31st
what insurance do we have if they do collapse, how do we get our monies back?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:09pm On Sep 18, 2007
omo, na true talk ooo

@temmie, i spoke with my broker yesterday and she said that theres some rumour on WEMA bank and they are still trying to do research on it,

whats your outlook on diamond bank, it looks good to me for long term, about the only second level bank in the under twenties zone, whats ur opinion
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by GBGHOSTBOY: 12:31pm On Sep 18, 2007
@Temmie10

Kindly advice. Do you think NAHCO and DANGOE FLOUR is a good buy for a long time investment, let say a year or more.I intend to purchase 10000units for each one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:32pm On Sep 18, 2007
@bibiking1

The only reason why stockbrokers are asked to capitalise to 1 billion naira is to ensure better protection in the long run for investors like you and me.
Even in the unlikely event that a broking firm collapses, the funds are secure so long as the firm you had the account with is licensed by the authorities. For protection, stick with large firms or bank brokerage firms. Those ones can hardly go burst even if capitalisation increases to 10 billion naira.
In any case, most reputable firms have already met the capitalisation. Those that cannot are currently raising funds, the business is too profitable.

@Tmoni
Wema has been on all sorts of rumours since the beginning of the year. News is good. No news is what we don't like. By my reckoning, the least i see for Wema is that it will still reach 14 naira. Diamond looks like a 23. If you add po factors, market sentiment or a resurgence of the market to these two stocks, we could be way higher.

@shigidi
what was the figure you got for the gtb eps the other time (after adding the gdr shares)?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:33pm On Sep 18, 2007
looks like the insurance sector has cooled off a little for now. the steam has gone cold a bit. should be a good time to enter.
temmie10, thanks for ur help yesterday, managed to get brokers with a dorm. account wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:35pm On Sep 18, 2007
temmie10, the eps i got for gtb was 1.3(approximately) considering a PAT of 17 billion divided by the now 13 billion shares it has.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2007
shigidi:

looks like the insurance sector has cooled off a little for now. the steam has gone cold a bit. should be a good time to enter.
temmie10, thanks for your help yesterday, managed to get brokers with a dorm. account wink

Are you in Nigeria and can you only open the acct with them if you are in the country?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 1:21pm On Sep 18, 2007
http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2906

Flour mills released their 1st quarter result.

The turnover was up 20% but PBT was down 1.2 % , what is going on?

Anyone has an idea, on why their expenses increased so much that compared to last year 1st Quarter.

This is not a impressive result at all - Instead of growing earnings, they are growing cost !!

Wanaj0, Please shed some light on this because It seems Flour mills is one of your favorites - abi?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonmax(f): 1:41pm On Sep 18, 2007
@Temmi10, Frankiri, easimoni
What's with FCMB? are they coming with an IPO soon? It's been put on suspension for a while?
Is it a good buy?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2007
yodiyokun:

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2906

Flour mills released their 1st quarter result.

The turnover was up 20% but PBT was down 1.2 % , what is going on?

Anyone has an idea, on why their expenses increased so much that compared to last year 1st Quarter.

This is not a impressive result at all - Instead of growing earnings, they are growing cost !!

Wanaj0, Please shed some light on this because It seems Flour mills is one of your favorites - abi?

My understanding was that the disruption of gas supply around April/May increased the expenses. That means that they had to revert back to the use of diesel which is more expensive.

Flour Mills is still my favourite. Waiting for the price to drop more so that I can buy. BAGCO is the major money spinner for them.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 3:06pm On Sep 18, 2007
tonmax:

@Temmi10, Frankiri, easimoni
What's with FCMB? are they coming with an IPO soon? It's been put on suspension for a while?
Is it a good buy?

Yes they are coming with a po at 14 naira, very soon
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonmax(f): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2007
Thanks
SO to buy on the floor at N17.8 is good?
How about Sterling Bank? A good buy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by REZIGIRL(f): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2007
Hello Temmie,

Pls can you check ur mail box? just sent u a mail now and will appreciate ur response. Thanx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Phydas: 4:18pm On Sep 18, 2007
@ TEMMIE10
I have some cash to set aside short term for stock, which stock do you think I can get that will be some what encouraging as a first time trade in the secondary term. I need your advice pls.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2007
@ wanajo, pls what exactly is afribank registrars address in gbagada

and yes!, flour mills is still strong, they will still hit that forecast eps of 6 and is still a 95-100 naira stock, the lowest pe presently anywhere.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:34pm On Sep 18, 2007
http://www.proshareng.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/zenith-banks-q4-2007-research-report.pdf

I dont know if you guys have seen this analysis on Zenith bank - the interesting part is that there is a lot of details comparative analysis there on Zenith, FBN, Intercontinental and GTB. I wonder why UBA was omitted.

But I liked what I saw about GTB, had the best profitability ratios, Can someone confirm if the no of shares outstanding is accurate?.

And I would like to hear any comments about the analysis.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:14am On Sep 19, 2007
@ the gurus,
i finally sent the buy order and my broker is asking why do u want to buy WEMA BANK, shes never questioned my order before,

food for thought
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 2:21am On Sep 19, 2007
Guys, anybody with idea on when UBA and probably First Bank certificates would be coming out, please let us know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.