Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63719 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2013
Please, if World Educational Services (WES), a US educational evaluation agency could evaluate a Nigerian HND certificate and say it is equivalent to a 4-year Bsc Degree, what then is the problem of Nigeria and Nigerians? Many HND holders have had their transcripts evaluated by WES and the outcomes have been that the Nigerian HND is equivalent to a Bsc Degree. What then is making Nigeria to still discriminate against Nigerian HND holders? Try evaluating ur Bsc or HND certificate with www.wes.org and see. Or, is it that they don't know what they are doing?

30 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 2:46pm On Dec 29, 2013
Op, dnt deceive urself..polythechnics nd universities curriculum in Nigeria are very different and dat is what is making it unequivalent..
What should be done is upgrading your curriculum in polytechnics

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:16pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u: Op, dnt deceive urself..polythechnics nd universities curriculum in Nigeria is very different and dat is what is makin it unequivalent..
What shld be done nw is to upgrade ur curriculum in polytechnics
Varsity curriculum and poly curriculum are not the same, should not be the same, are not meant to be the same, and can never be the same. The 2 schools serve different purposes. If the curricula are the same it means a poly and a varsity are the same and should follow the same path. They are not the same pls. The certificates are equivalent according to WES.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 3:19pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Varsity curriculum and poly curriculum are not the same, should not be the same, are not meant to be the same, and can never be the same. The 2 schools serve different purposes. If the curricula are the same it means a poly and a varsity are the same and should follow the same path. They are not the same pls. The certificates are equivalent according to WES.
so wat are u nw clamourin for? Since they are nt d same in any means, they shldnt be d same in certification.. Bsc,Ba,Btech nd Bedu can neva be d same thing as HND in Nigeria..

8 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
@dejt4u: Hope u did logic in maths? If u did i expect u to know that equivalence and equality are not the same. HND is equivalent to Bsc but not equal to a Bsc. @Mods: pls move this to front page let's argue this out.

18 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
so wat are u nw clamourin for? Since they are nt d same in any means, they shldnt be d same in certification.. Bsc,Ba,Btech nd Bedu can neva be d same thing as HND in Nigeria..
They were never meant to be the same, but equivalent.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: @dejt4u: Hope u did logic in maths? If u did i expect u to know that equivalence and equality are not the same. HND is equivalent to Bsc but not equal to a Bsc. @Mods: pls move this to front page let's argue this out.
in english language, we dnt hv 2words that hv exact same meanin..one can only be synonimous to other..equal nd equivalent are 2 synonimous words..equivalent means almost equal..even in Logic.. So what are we sayin here..

7 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
U claim they are not the same, but people who know better than u say they are equivalent bo virtue of total number of credit units. Do u evaluate or know better than them?

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: U claim they are not the same, but people who know better than u say they are equivalent bo virtue of total number of credit units. Do u evaluate or know better than them?
let me tell u what probably u didnt knw about university education in Nigeria...
As a university graduate, u are bound to be versatile i.e u will nt be restricted to ur dept or faculty alone.. If u are a science student, u will tak some courses outside ur faculty be it admin, social science, art, tech etc weda as core courses, free electives, special electives or restricted electives.. So it makes dem more versatile dan ppl from other higher institutions..that is what i meant by revision of poly's curriculum..
Although, those wit OND or HND are very good in practicals even better than uni graduates especially in engineering... I hope u get me better now

9 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 4:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
let me tell u what probably u didnt knw about university education in Nigeria...
As a university graduate, u are bound to be versatile i.e u will nt be restricted to ur dept or faculty alone.. If u are a science student, u will tak some courses outside ur faculty be it admin, social science, art, tech etc weda as core courses, free electives, special electives or restricted electives.. So it makes dem more versatile dan ppl from other higher institutions..that is what i meant by revision of poly's curriculum..
Although, those wit OND or HND are very good in practicals even better than uni graduates especially in engineering... I hope u get me better now
And who told u students in nigerian polytechnics don't take courses from other departments. I can still remember very well that biz and acct students in polytechnics took physics, chemistry and biology per semester as compulsory elective courses. That's not even the issue. Are u saying WES evaluation of nigerian HND is false?

16 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 4:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
Bros, i'm also a university graduate. I know all these.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 4:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
Let WES be the judge pls.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 6:19pm On Dec 29, 2013
Guy, pls find out the meaning of equality and equivalence. Let me give u an example. A Sqn Ldr in the Air Force is equivalent to a Major in the Army. The two ranks belong to 2 different branches of the armed forces, but yet are equivalent by level. The two ranks cannot be said to be the samething but equivalent.

13 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 6:42pm On Dec 29, 2013
Maybe in another profession but in Engineering, its a NO!

10 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by alotofgrace(m): 6:51pm On Dec 29, 2013
why should hnd be equivalent to bsc? is US schooling system equivalent to ours? must US determine all we do? leave US; lets face at our 9ja nation.....maybe u should check for 9ja what u checked for WES and know what our standard for bsc and hnd is.....u can also compare technical sec schools with ssce

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 6:54pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24: Maybe in another profession but in Engineering, its a NO!

The kind maths wey we solve for first year, dem dey do am for final year
A friend's HND in Chemical Engineering was evaluated by WES and was found to be equivalent to a Bsc Chem Engineering in the US.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 7:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
alotofgrace: why should hnd be equivalent to bsc? is US schooling system equivalent to ours? must US determine all we do? leave US; look at our 9ja nation.....brb
US schooling is better than that of Nigeria 100 times. Atleast u can see what not following their system has done to education in Nigeria and the economy as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:03pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: A friend's HND in Chemical Engineering was evaluated by WES and was found to be equivalent to a Bsc Chem Engineering in the US.

There is a difference between an Engineer and a Technologist

Besides, we are not using the American educational system

EDITED
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question for all

If you had the opportunity of sending your first son to any higher institution of your choice.
Which one would it be, poly or uni?

5 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by alotofgrace(m): 7:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
US schooling is better than that of Nigeria 100 times. Atleast u can see what not following their system has done to education in Nigeria and the economy as a whole.

of course..but that wasnt mi point....read mi post again
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by alotofgrace(m): 7:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

seconded...thirded.....4ed....5thed..............................................................................................................................................ended

7 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 7:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Yes. We still have Bsc and BTech Engineering technology programs in the US. They are 2 different programs or paths. One is theoretical and the other is applied. Hope u're not in anyway trying to say that a Bsc or BTech Engineering Technology is inferior to a Bsc engineering in the US?

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2013
Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Yes. We still have Bsc and BTech Engineering technology programs in the US. They are 2 different programs or paths. One is theoretical and the other is applied. Hope u're not in anyway trying to say that a Bsc or BTech Engineering Technology is inferior to a Bsc engineering in the US?

Bro, ideally, if you graduate an engineer from a university, you'll be given a B. Eng not a B. Sc.

That said, a food engineer was given. ..
B. Eng = Bachelors of Engineering in Food Engineering

OR

B. Tech = Bachelors of Technology in Food Engineering.

They are not the same thing

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni
You're only assuming they do only practicals. That's ur opinion about the nigerian polytechnics, they only do practicals. Well, i'm still wondering why/how poly HND graduates pass ICAN exams and other professional exams even before many varsity graduates.

30 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Bro, ideally, if you graduate an engineer from a university, you'll be given a B. Eng not a B. Sc.

OR

Pls do a little more research. Many schools in the US award BS for engineering programs and not BEng. Even in Unilag they award Bsc in engineering and not BEng.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: You're only assuming they do only practicals. That's ur opinion about the nigerian polytechnics, they only do practicals. Well, i'm still wondering why/how poly HND graduates pass ICAN exams and other professional exams even before many varsity graduates.

Accountants no dey do practical, whether in a university, polytechnic or monotechnic.

In the Engineering field, they do more of practicals than theory.
In a university, all engineering students will take a course called "ALGEBRA" (both basic and advanced) in first year (first semester).

In a polytechnic, mechanical Engineering students take this same course as "ADVANCED ALGEBRA" in their final year

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:10pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

OR

That's what i've been saying, BTech and BEng or Bsc are all equivalent qualifications, they cannot be the same. A BTech graduate followed the technology path while the BEng or Bsc graduate followed the scientific path. They were all taught food engineering with different approaches.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by dejt4u(m): 8:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Well, i'm still wondering why/how poly HND graduates pass ICAN exams and other professional exams even before many varsity graduates.
from ur own statistics abi.. Weda u lyk it or nt poly is inferior nd wil 4eva be inferior to uni..

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
zebra: Pls do a little more research. Many schools in the US award BS for engineering programs and not BEng. Even in Unilag they award Bsc in engineauthorand not BEng.

I just did, if you graduate from a university, you are not the same with someone who graduated from another institution that is not a university, in the Engineeing field

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Engineering

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
destino24:

Accountants no dey do practical, whether in a university, polytechnic or monotechnic.

In the Engineering field, they do more of practicals than theory.
In a university, all engineering students will take a course called "ALGEBRA" (both basic and advanced) in first year (first semester).

In a polytechnic, mechanical Engineering students take this same course as "ADVANCED ALGEBRA" in their final year
I've never been specific on engineering alone. Accounting/accountancy is another course to also talk about here. FYI, there are practical sessions in accountancy in the polytechnics in case u don't know. Have u also wondered why they have to do 1 year industrial training before completing the HND program?

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 8:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
Op, additional research just proved this whole topic wrong

A Higher National Diploma (HND) is a higher education qualification of the United Kingdom.[1] A qualification of the same title is also offered in Malta,[2] Nigeria,[3] and some other countries with British ties. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities at an advanced level, and is considered equivalent to the second year of a three year university degree course.

Edexcel describes an HND as "A vocational qualification, usually studied full-time, but can be studied part-time. It is roughly equivalent to the first two years of a 3 year degre (with honours), or to the Diploma of Higher Education".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Diploma

9 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 8:30pm On Dec 29, 2013
dejt4u:
from ur own statistics abi.. Weda u lyk it or nt poly is inferior nd wil 4eva be inferior to uni..
in Nigeria abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / "Missing OAU Law Student" Found!!! / Jamb Direct Entry 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.