Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take (16557 Views)

Who Should We Obey In This Case, The Landlord Or The Wife? / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Orange Ville EST. Phase 2 Buy,Build &live #8m C Of O #landlord In Making (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Kayendy(m): 7:13am On Jun 15, 2016
Op, abeg use that. Money u want to pay a lawyer wıth and pay an agent to fınd u an affordable accomodatıon

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by ladenz(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2016
It's unjust and shouldn't be condoned. If I were you guys, I'd use part of that 350k to get a new place and contribute the rest to get a lawyer and restrain him from continuing renovations. If you don't stay there don't allow anyone else to stay.

But this is Naija though. Don't know if it's worth the trouble
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Agromuda(m): 7:17am On Jun 15, 2016
Ur fmr Landlord ought to intimate u abt d position of tinz and let u knw ur new landlord. D buyer and d seller must av consider d occupants b4. D final handing over. Plz liase wt ur new landlord for him to c reason y u nid @least 6 months to get a new accommodation. Goiing to court may not do U any harm, but note dat the new owner has no contract/tenancy agreement wt U. IMO

1 Like

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Patented: 7:19am On Jun 15, 2016
When is your rent expiring? If you rent has not expired he must give 6 months notice. If you have a lawyer then you can file a fundamental rights action. Or petition from DPO upto IGP or ajust find anoda house
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by emmanuelbrown26: 7:20am On Jun 15, 2016
Hey dude, the law stipulates six months after dat anoda three months, only if u are able to withstand the fight, then hv anoda alternative in case tings go against u bcs na naija we dey ohhh
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by basadenet: 7:22am On Jun 15, 2016
Go and report to the Police and to rent tribunal at alausa.if not you may found your properties thrown out one day.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by oodua1stson: 7:33am On Jun 15, 2016
ActionScript3:
I am a lagos resident and my landlord sold his house to a new one.

the new one has been threatening to evict us by force as this is the second time he has come with policemen, the first time, he came with a policemen from SARS ikeja when we are not robbers.

i am a paying yearly tenant with my receipt with me.
he tried to negotiate with us to pay 400k per annum upon renovation, up from 250k
we begged him to accept 300-350k (based on each tenant's pocket) or give us 6 months to leave
he said he is not ready to give us 3 months talk less of 6 months

Last week, he came around to disconnect our soakaway pipes
he erected scaffolding to remodel the house even when we still reside there.

today, they came to disconnect our nepa cables
this will be the second time.

they have issued us a notice from the mediation center but they are impatient to even wait till the date of invitation before starting to mess with us.
wait. Is your rent due already?
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by 360command: 7:44am On Jun 15, 2016
Very sad Nigeria does not have a separate agency handing rents control and other issues with landlord and tenants..if not this your matter would have to be dealt with the rent control laws and acts guiding occupants living in the house.

I think you just have to negotiate with the landlord.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Actor101: 7:47am On Jun 15, 2016
We are in d same shoes now Op.B4 my landlord died in 2years ago I rent a room @ d rate of 3500 wit agreement and commission 40k\40k,when my landlord died d family hv 2 share d rooms,one of his sons dat happen 2 b my landlord hv increased d payment to #5000 wit new agreement and commission 50k\50k and is giving us a month 2 pay d money or we should park out after pleading wit him not 2 collect d AC, that we are ready 2 pay 4 d 5k
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by NemzySeries(m): 7:54am On Jun 15, 2016
Nutase:
Go and build your own house. lipsrsealed
wat kind of emergency approach is dis1?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by NemzySeries(m): 7:58am On Jun 15, 2016
Qmerit:
Build ur house!!!
pls talk reasonably

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by LEXYCOM: 7:59am On Jun 15, 2016
Get a gallon of petrol and a lighter.........u know wat to do....
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by bellville: 8:01am On Jun 15, 2016
Covenants on land run with the land. In other words, a new landlord inherits subsisting leases on the property and should have done due diligence to ensure he pays your former landlord less the subsisting rents.

Way forward for you: Get your lawyer to write the new landlord stating the issues and threatening legal action if he continues to disturb your peaceful possession.

Way forward for the landlord: He should issue 6 month notice to the tenants and 7 days notice thereafter. After the 7 days notice, he can then proceed to court to recover possession. Eviction is protected by law. There's no short-cut to it. Bringing SARs to threaten you won't help him. It's not a matter for the police.
ActionScript3:
I am a lagos resident and my landlord sold his house to a new one.

the new one has been threatening to evict us by force as this is the second time he has come with policemen, the first time, he came with a policemen from SARS ikeja when we are not robbers.

i am a paying yearly tenant with my receipt with me.
he tried to negotiate with us to pay 400k per annum upon renovation, up from 250k
we begged him to accept 300-350k (based on each tenant's pocket) or give us 6 months to leave
he said he is not ready to give us 3 months talk less of 6 months

Last week, he came around to disconnect our soakaway pipes
he erected scaffolding to remodel the house even when we still reside there.

today, they came to disconnect our nepa cables
this will be the second time.

they have issued us a notice from the mediation center but they are impatient to even wait till the date of invitation before starting to mess with us.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Goodeeman: 8:04am On Jun 15, 2016
Is there a subsisting agreement that regulate the terms of tenancy? if yes, the lenght of the notice to quit will depend on that but if no, the law required the landlord to issue u with 6months notice to quit, being that you are a yearly tenant and anything less than that is ultravares except you are owing arrears of rent. Nigerian police always displaying their ignorance in high level. Let me ring it here to any police officer in this forum that police is not a debt collector.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by ettekamba1: 8:10am On Jun 15, 2016
agree that your new landlord should have done due diligence before paying the old one in full. Get a lawyer to obtain a stay of execution, enforce the eviction period and also join your old landlord in proceedings to recover unutilised rent.

However, we need to understand the new landlord's frustrations as he might also have had to pay transfer fees to omo oniles.

Hope you guys are not heavily indebted to PHCN and other municipal rates as that will weaken your case.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by okuneddie(m): 8:13am On Jun 15, 2016
lastpage:
I feel sorry for your situation.

First, let me be honest with you: Majority of your problem, has to do with your Landlord!
The new owner is NOT your Landlord because he did not go into any contractual agreement with you.
It is his house and he can decide to renovate/demolish/rebuild it.

The former owner has no right to sell the house during the period ....when he has collected money from you as Rent.
That is fraudulent!
He has collected money from you for the period..he has also collected money, by selling, during the same period.

Now, if you look at the cost of building Materials... infact, the cost of everything in Nigeria, places like Lagos especially, the price of everything has more than DOUBLED in the last one year!
Now, you will realise that if l buy rice at double the price, Tomato at double the price, Transport has tripled, everyone has doubled or triple their price while claiming "DOLLAR HAS RISEN"!

So, will it be reasonable to not expect the house owner to increase his own "market product" (rent) ?
Everyone is "Selling what they have".
It is a "vicious cycle" in Nigeria when we all decide to increase the cost of items, not minding that salaries/income are not increasing.
Everybody is taking advantage of each other.

In my own opinion, your best bet will be to negotiate with your House Owner.
Even the Mediation Center cant compel him to do what you want as he will simply claim he did not rent out his house to you.

Just try and look for an alternative accommodation where the price is affordable and plead with him to give you more time.

Lastpage!

bros they still where is the notice to quit that the landlord served them. Even if he did, he has to give them three months.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 15, 2016
Lagos lagos lagos I barely make a mill in a year yet I pay 350k house rent nawao while in ma villa, i make close to 3.5 per annum no house rent, no shop rent and still its not enof. Now my question is how do you guys really cope there?
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Benblaq(m): 8:17am On Jun 15, 2016
Jimadey:
Lagos landlords are usually devil.
undecided so u mean m also a devil?pls watch ur tongue' for d fact dat i work hard, nd built my own haus does nt mk me a devil...3days to modify ur comment else*
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by harcole: 8:22am On Jun 15, 2016
Maybe the tenants were not paying their rents that was why the landlord sold the house without informing them. Some tenants are very wicked.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 15, 2016
Some of you are saying ''go and build your own house'' thereby, making it seem as if the landlords (both old & new) were right in wht is happening.. The best advise is to get a Lawyer..

If someone can be paying 250k & is willing to pay upto 350k as rent, then he sure has plans of building his own. U keep saying he should go and build his own house as if he'll be living in the open while building.

NB: before anyone raises a topic in a forum, he or she needed valuable advise.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by julimaxy: 8:32am On Jun 15, 2016
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by bekpo(m): 8:33am On Jun 15, 2016
Jay542:

Think of the money you'll spend by going to court and the sluggish legal system. I suggest you just try to look for another place with that 350k. God dey.

The problem we Nigerians are having is that we do not know our right, even though some are aware, they take things for granted, in a civilized clime, it's not like that. For me, I will give that landlord the headache he needs, I can only leave that property the day I want and not on his terms. In this country there r laws and this laws were not made for patial obedience but total obedience. My advice to u is that get a lawyer engage him in litigation, sue him for criminal Tresspass and also engage ur landlord for breach of contract and get ur damages in monetary form. Though justice may cost and take time but should we close our eyes and allow impunity to continue? Somebody must complain to put a stop to lawlessness by these randy landlords.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 15, 2016
@ActionScript3

First off, I must congratulate your posture.

The new owner of the house is your New Landlord. This is because when he made purchase of the house, his purchase agreement must have stated that he inherits both the assets and the liabilities associated with his acquisition.

If you are still under the rental period of the old N250,000 that was paid to the old landlord, you are legally under obligation to negotiate for a fair price that is affordable, in the event that the price is not acceptable by your new landlord, as him to give you 6 months to pack out, if you are an annual tenant, then if you can not still get a better place at the expiry of the 6 months, request for another 3 months. You do not have to pay a dime. Do not be afraid of RRS, it is not their responsibility to settle landlord tenants scuffles. And they will never officially arrest you. Only threats except you commit any associated crime.

If the event that he inconveniences you with scaffolding and disconnection of public utility, please approach the court. Your landlord doesnt work with PHCN and has no rights to temper with public utility that you have duly paid for.

Approach a lawyer today, and take this case to court. The moment you initiate this action, the landlord will be forced to give you 6 months from the date of expiry of your previous lease.

I am a landlord, and I have illegally forcefully evicted tenants, but I have never been able to evict a tenant who knows the law.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by BarrElChapo(m): 8:38am On Jun 15, 2016
lastpage:
I feel sorry for your situation.

First, let me be honest with you: Majority of your problem, has to do with your Landlord!
The new owner is NOT your Landlord because he did not go into any contractual agreement with you.
It is his house and he can decide to renovate/demolish/rebuild it.

The former owner has no right to sell the house during the period ....when he has collected money from you as Rent.
That is fraudulent!
He has collected money from you for the period..he has also collected money, by selling, during the same period.

Now, if you look at the cost of building Materials... infact, the cost of everything in Nigeria, places like Lagos especially, the price of everything has more than DOUBLED in the last one year!
Now, you will realise that if l buy rice at double the price, Tomato at double the price, Transport has tripled, everyone has doubled or triple their price while claiming "DOLLAR HAS RISEN"!

So, will it be reasonable to not expect the house owner to increase his own "market product" (rent) ?
Everyone is "Selling what they have".
It is a "vicious cycle" in Nigeria when we all decide to increase the cost of items, not minding that salaries/income are not increasing.
Everybody is taking advantage of each other.

In my own opinion, your best bet will be to negotiate with your House Owner.
Even the Mediation Center cant compel him to do what you want as he will simply claim he did not rent out his house to you.

Just try and look for an alternative accommodation where the price is affordable and plead with him to give you more time.

Lastpage!

thats not true.. when he sold the house all the rights and liabilities transferred to the new owner..

thats is why the new owner was re negotiating on the next rent..

truth is most times landlord's do and get away with it but if u get a smart lawyer friend he can frustrate the landlord very well ... find one
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by shaibu123: 8:45am On Jun 15, 2016
Simple answer, get a lawyer
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by kinibigdeal(m): 9:00am On Jun 15, 2016
ActionScript3:
i dont want you to feel pity for my situation

what i need is legal path which i am already getting offline directions on.

all those rants about cost of material is very irrelevant here.
you dont buy a house for millions without plans to inherit the liabilities that come with it
from 250k, we are saying accept 350k or give us 6 months to leave.
6 months notice is what i believe the law mandates for yearly tenants

When you can get a plot of land in ikorodu for 180k and use the balance to get a self contain. Anyway, whether new landlord or old landlord, you have the right for 6months notice because you were not told that the house will be sold.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by comeandmarry: 9:01am On Jun 15, 2016
Must you live in Lagos,most ppl remain dumb,why not relocate to another state where they have cheaper housing,nawa o.
I can never pay rent in Lagos, till either I buy a house there or something. Lagos life is filled wit frustrations, traffic gridlock, incessant robbery attacks, 419,ritualistic mindset of 80percent of lagos Inhabitants,unending oloshos,over rated, over inflated cost of housing,high cost of living,no fresh air, no space,unending brutality from police and army,men guy begin sell your belongings and move out.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by general1970: 9:06am On Jun 15, 2016
shaibu123:
Simple answer, get a lawyer

Judiciary in Nigeria is worthless, he should look for another house before he gets what he never bargained for abi Nigeria don turn Europe? Na Fani-Kayode still dey cell after he met his bail demands same judiciary system. Don't use because of snake fish to burn your hand.
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by nickxtra(m): 9:08am On Jun 15, 2016
Just get a lawyer to tell the position of the law in this situation, then from the findings, you can take an option
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by greggng: 9:29am On Jun 15, 2016
You guys should get a lawyer and sue the new landlord. The court will restrain him from further harassment. You guys might even stay more than a year in tht house. Get a good lawyer there are procedures for discharging tenants after house has been sold. What the new landlord is doing is ilegal
Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by phatgirlz(f): 9:33am On Jun 15, 2016
lonelydora:

I bet they are not, meet an Ikwerre career Landlord you will understand.
Dora God bless u oh! The type wey I get for whre I dey stay for phc,Jesus! Hmmm stealing,increasing house rent,abi na d fetish part.I ran oh!

1 Like

Re: Landlord Frustrating Us, What Are The Steps To Take by oairhunmwunde: 9:35am On Jun 15, 2016
Dis is Nigeria ooo ....were Africa magic is d other of d day.my frnd is not DAT getting a legal suit is a wrong tin to do. But I will advice u conveniently look for anoda location. because all dis so called landlord can. Be diabolic at times

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Plots Near Nigerian Breweries Sango Ota. N70m / Anambra State Lands And Property Development / NEW PROJECT GOING ON NOW! 4 SEMI DETACHED AND 5 BEDROOM FULLY DETACHED duplexes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.